Two Plus Two Newer Archives

Two Plus Two Newer Archives (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/index.php)
-   Books and Publications (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/forumdisplay.php?f=35)
-   -   New D&B shorthanded book by Borer, Mak &Tanenbaum...... (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/showthread.php?t=481719)

Adman 08-19-2007 11:58 PM

New D&B shorthanded book by Borer, Mak &Tanenbaum......

I was just checking on D&B's website to see if there was any new information on when this book is going to be released. Whilst I was there I noticed that they have posted some excerpts from both this, and Barry T's new book which is a very promising sign (I'm assuming this means that the publisher has the/ a manuscript). Just go to the bottom of the page and you will see excerpts available to read in pdf format. I read through what was available and I am VERY impressed. If these short excerpts are anything to go on then this book may very well become the bible for shorthanded limit hold em players. I also noted that Andy Bloch has written the forward for the book which I consider a good omen:) Having said that, didn't he write a jacket blurb for one of Vorhaus's pieces of toilet paper?
http://www.dandbpoker.com/book_detail.php?id=30

Professionalpoker 08-20-2007 02:25 AM

Re: New D&B shorthanded book by Borer, Mak &Tanenbaum......

I have in order in place for the new d&b books. As soon as they come in I'll let everyone know in the existing threads.
Mike

Adman 08-20-2007 02:45 AM

Great, thanks Mike. Am I best off buying direct through your website or through your ebay store just out of curosity?

Professionalpoker 08-20-2007 02:48 AM

Through the store/website - I frequently charge a little more on ebay to cover their listing fees and commissions.

AKoffsuit 08-24-2007 09:53 PM

There are extracts from the book available at the publisher's site
any opinions would be welcome

http://www.dandbpoker.com/book_detail.php?id=30

tipperdog 08-24-2007 11:30 PM

Barry has said that his book has gone to press in England. It should be available in the UK very shortly (a matter of days) and in the USA in a few weeks.

I do not know the status of the shorthanded book.

AKoffsuit 08-25-2007 01:23 AM

I was talking about the shorthanded book there are some pages of it on the publisher's site

Adman 08-25-2007 04:49 AM

I have read the excerpts from the shorthanded book and it looks awesome. I have very high hopes for this book indeed.

Adman 08-26-2007 02:26 AM

Surprise surprise, they have both been delayed ANOTHER month. What a joke. Estimated date of release is now September 07 for the US.

Professionalpoker 08-27-2007 07:41 PM

News direct from the USA distributor:
I have some info on the two Barry Tanenbaum books from the publisher.

Advanced Limit Hold'em Strategy - on the boat should arrive at warehouse in 3 weeks.

Limit Hold'em: Winning Short-handed Strategies - Going to print tomorrow, should be on the boat in less than a week but they doubt it will make September.

Mason Malmuth 08-28-2007 12:44 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Surprise surprise, they have both been delayed ANOTHER month. What a joke. Estimated date of release is now September 07 for the US.

[/ QUOTE ]

I know very little about this publisher, but I do know something about publishing books. Unfortunately, there are many things that can happen which can cause delays in publication for which the publisher has no responsibility for. These can include the authors not finishing the manuscript when planned, to the mill not producing the paper on time, to having the wrong paper show up, to having problems with getting on the printing press in a timely manner, the same for the binding machine, and lots of other stuff.

Best wishes,
Mason

bustedromo 08-28-2007 01:11 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I know very little about this publisher, but I do know something about publishing books. Unfortunately, there are many things that can happen which can cause delays in publication for which the publisher has no responsibility for. These can include the authors not finishing the manuscript when planned, to the mill not producing the paper on time, to having the wrong paper show up, to having problems with getting on the printing press in a timely manner, the same for the binding machine, and lots of other stuff.

[/ QUOTE ]

That's quite a list. So exactly what does the publisher have responsiblity for ?

Mason Malmuth 08-28-2007 01:21 AM

[ QUOTE ]
So exactly what does the publisher have responsiblity for ?

[/ QUOTE ]

Lots of stuff. This includes selecting appropriate manuscripts. Assuring that they are finished with the highest quality. Over seeing all printing and art work. Selling the book including all sorts of different kinds of distribution. Promoting the book which could include running a website like www.twoplustwo.com. International rights and the publishing of the books in foreign languages, storage and insurance on books in inventory, billing to buyers, handling returns, book packing and shipping, dealing with other publishers when necessary, copyrights, author contracts, other legal issues, and lots of other stuff.

MM

steamboatin 08-28-2007 06:39 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Lots of stuff. This includes selecting appropriate manuscripts. Assuring that they are finished with the highest quality. Over seeing all printing and art work. Selling the book including all sorts of different kinds of distribution. Promoting the book which could include running a website like www.twoplustwo.com. International rights and the publishing of the books in foreign languages, storage and insurance on books in inventory, billing to buyers, handling returns, book packing and shipping, dealing with other publishers when necessary, copyrights, author contracts, other legal issues, and lots of other stuff.

MM

[/ QUOTE ]

Answering dumb questions on the Interweb.

uDevil 08-28-2007 01:10 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

MM

[/ QUOTE ]

Answering dumb questions on the Interweb.

[/ QUOTE ]

That sounds like the fun part.

Hoping these are good books. Nothing else to look forward to, limit Hold'em-wise.

highstakes 08-30-2007 07:26 AM

Tanenbaum's Advanced Hold'em Strategy arrived in our shop today so should be hitting UK shops/websites in the next few days

dirty banana2007 09-17-2007 05:50 PM

I am in the UK and am wanting to get the D&B short handed book . Does anyone know if this is available yet?

Amazon uk is showing this as in stock and available (but publishing date is showing as the 20th September!).

pokerbear 09-18-2007 03:36 AM

Hi. They have it. If this thread has taught you anything, it is that publication dates are estimates. :-)

I hope you enjoy it. It is a very good book.

It won't be in stores in the US for a few weeks, (shipping, customs, US distributor receiving, repackaging, shipping, merchant receiving, shelving.)

Early US adopters can purchase it through Amazon US via UK resellers for around $20 + $4 shipping and a 7-10 day wait for the Royal Post.

Others have done this for my other book, and it reportedly has worked.

-barryt

Adman 09-18-2007 04:16 AM

OK, I received Barry's Advanced limit book today and I am in Sydney Australia. I ordered through an Amazon marketplace seller called "The Book Depository" who are based in the UK. I have also ordered the Shorthanded book from them so hopefully I get that one in the next week or two as well.

As for Barry's book, I've only read the first 50 odd pages or so but so far I am impressed. It is definitely quality material and not just fluff. I can already tell that this one is a keeper and I will no doubt be referring back to it regularly.

Gelford 09-18-2007 10:17 AM

I received it (The shorthanded book, not the Barry T book) yesterday and have read two chapters so far .. it starts very basic and is off course not aimed at the experienced 2+2'er. (and so therefore there is a tiny camel to shallow when faced with language that is obviously aimed at much weaker players and in part serves a function of selling the authors/book to these players)

But it leaves a nice impression, seems to be very thorough! and a good primer in shorthanded lhe.

First impression is that it is highly recommended (this is not a review, just a first impression)

But I've always been a sucker for something that is organized and just a stew of random inputs in a creative order (hint hint)

[img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

dirty banana2007 09-18-2007 03:44 PM

cool! i am going to put in an order for it sometime this week then, thanks.

pokerbear 09-18-2007 06:32 PM

Hi. Thanks for the kind words. Organization and language is always a challenge when writing a comprehensive book like ours. Should we write chapters with identical headings, one for more elementary players (it is not a beginners book, and does not, for example, discuss how to post blinds) and one for more advanced ones?

We decided instead to write one chapter and identify by various means the advanced material. The hand charts, for example, have two lines, one for basic players and one for more advanced ones. The chapters also identify advanced plays.

I know it is not prefect, but I beleive even 2+2'ers will gain something of value to add to their arsenal for short-handed play.

-barryt

Jeffage 09-18-2007 06:58 PM

Barry,

Having played with you almost every time I've visited Las Vegas, I very much look forward to this book. I'm sure it will be worthwhile.

Jeff

Gelford 09-19-2007 01:12 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Hi. Thanks for the kind words. Organization and language is always a challenge when writing a comprehensive book like ours. Should we write chapters with identical headings, one for more elementary players (it is not a beginners book, and does not, for example, discuss how to post blinds) and one for more advanced ones?

We decided instead to write one chapter and identify by various means the advanced material. The hand charts, for example, have two lines, one for basic players and one for more advanced ones. The chapters also identify advanced plays.

I know it is not prefect, but I beleive even 2+2'ers will gain something of value to add to their arsenal for short-handed play.

-barryt

[/ QUOTE ]

Yep as said (tho I forgot to type a 'not' in front of the word stew) very nice job [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]