Two Plus Two Newer Archives

Two Plus Two Newer Archives (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/index.php)
-   Other Other Topics (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/forumdisplay.php?f=36)
-   -   Looking to buy a safe car (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/showthread.php?t=480958)

veganmav 08-18-2007 09:34 PM

Looking to buy a safe car

Safety is most important factor.
I was reading something by John Feeney from Inside the Poker Mind: Essays on Hold 'em and General Poker Concepts, and he was saying that (in terms of Life EV) you should buy the safest car you can afford, if you value being alive.
I agree with him and I think it's time to upgrade.

I have searched the internet without much help.
It seems that every year that goes by every car gets safer, and saftiness has been going up exponentialy ie: a 2008 random car will often be a lot safer than like a 1995 volvo (I could be wrong on that).

Anyway what are some ideas on the safest cars out there.
(I won't get an SUV or gas guzzler).

I also won't buy a new car.

I am looking like a 2005 volvo or lexus, and i hear the 2001 civic was really safe...

Any help?

Thanks.

ncboiler 08-18-2007 09:36 PM

Re: Looking to buy a safe car

Pussy [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

demon102 08-18-2007 09:39 PM

Wow op im looking to get a car for myself as well and didnt even think of this, now this will definitly by a priority. If anyone can hook me up withany tips on finding out more of how safe a vehicle is Id appreciate it.

demon102 08-18-2007 09:41 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Op has a very good point dude, I was in a car accident in Feb. where one dude died and my boy who was driving died and came back to life a good couple of times and luckily pulled threw in the end.

jackblack73 08-18-2007 09:45 PM

I read an article recently that there are 2 technological improvements that have really made dramatic improvements in safety: 1) electronic stability control; and, 2) side curtain airbags. If you really want the safest car possible you really need those two things.

veganmav 08-18-2007 09:45 PM

Yeah, if buying a 2005 volvo instead of a 2005 BMW or something increases the chances of surviving a head on accident by even 2%, it is hugely +EV even if the cost is thousands of dollars....

I really enjoy being alive and it is probably worth an extra 2000 dollars to me. (and the extra time it takes me to do research to find a very safe car)

veganmav 08-18-2007 09:47 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I read an article recently that there are 2 technological improvements that have really made dramatic improvements in safety: 1) electronic stability control; and, 2) side curtain airbags. If you really want the safest car possible you really need those two things.

[/ QUOTE ]

TYVM, this is exactly the kind of information I am looking for... What safety features really matter.

Do you know when those started being added? / when they became standard?
What cars have them? Which don't?

moayer 08-18-2007 09:51 PM

http://www.iihs.org/ratings/default.aspx
http://www.safercar.gov/
http://www.nhtsa.dot.gov/portal/site...305d546108a0c/
http://www.crashtest.com/
http://www.automotive.com/used-cars/safety/

jackblack73 08-18-2007 09:52 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

TYVM, this is exactly the kind of information I am looking for... What safety features really matter.

Do you know when those started being added? / when they became standard?
What cars have them? Which don't?

[/ QUOTE ]
I think it was saying that both will be standard on almost all cars within the next year or two, and are already optional on most cars. One big point of the article is that pick-up trucks are often very unsafe because often ESC and side curtain airbags are not available.

I think the article was on cnn.com in the last week or two if you want to look for it.

ncboiler 08-18-2007 10:01 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Op has a very good point dude, I was in a car accident in Feb. where one dude died and my boy who was driving died and came back to life a good couple of times and luckily pulled threw in the end.

[/ QUOTE ]

You cannot die and come back to life. People stopped doing about 2000 years ago. You are either dead or you are not. Have your buddy produce two death certificates to prove otherwise.

XXXNoahXXX 08-18-2007 10:12 PM

Volvo's have heartbeat sensors so you know if someone is waiting in your backseat.

If they have the time to come up with [censored] like this, obviously they have perfected the crash safety issues. I heard the '09 is gonna fight gingivitis.

Bostaevski 08-18-2007 10:22 PM

that volvo heartbeat sensor is the dumbest thing i've ever seen.

You just know some deadbeat parent is gonna think they can use it to leave their kid locked in a hot car while they go to a strip club or something. Hey my kid still has a heartbeat so go grab that brunette over there and you two can tag team me

Also- you can be clinically dead and then get revived. Happened to a guy i went to high school with and also my grandfather. It doesn't mean you are pronounced dead (death certificate issued)

ncboiler 08-18-2007 10:27 PM

[ QUOTE ]

You just know some deadbeat parent is gonna think they can use it to leave their kid locked in a hot car while they go to a strip club or something. Hey my kid still has a heartbeat so go grab that brunette over there and you two can tag team me

Also- you can be clinically dead and then get revived. Happened to a guy i went to high school with and also my grandfather. It doesn't mean you are pronounced dead (death certificate issued)

[/ QUOTE ]

Then he wasn't dead.

FatalError 08-18-2007 10:43 PM

a good sports sedan is going to be your best option, bmw 5 series, volvo s60, audi a6

in addition to crash safety which is what everyone goes to first you have to have a car that you feel comfortable behind, so handling and horsepower are important

jaydub 08-18-2007 11:01 PM

[ QUOTE ]
a good sports sedan is going to be your best option, bmw 5 series, volvo s60, audi a6

in addition to crash safety which is what everyone goes to first you have to have a car that you feel comfortable behind, so handling and horsepower are important

[/ QUOTE ]

This is the undefinable part of the question, how much does avoidance factor into safety?

Clearly better 70-0 times, better slaloms, etc will lead to more barely missed wrecks but what trade offs are made wrt weight and what happens on impact? It's the question of which is safer, the M5 or the H2. My bias is the M5 but it seems to be an "it depends" sort of question.

OP,

01 Civic? Really? Only benefit it has over the 05 volvo or lexus is that it won't seem so odd when it's parked next to the dumpster out of which you're fishing that night's dinner.

J

Duke 08-18-2007 11:34 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Then he wasn't dead.

[/ QUOTE ]

I can see trying to define a death as something that cannot be recovered from, but to use the lack of a certificate as proof of anything at all is retarded.

ncboiler 08-18-2007 11:36 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Then he wasn't dead.

[/ QUOTE ]

I can see trying to define a death as something that cannot be recovered from, but to use the lack of a certificate as proof of anything at all is retarded.

[/ QUOTE ]

Usually when people die a death certificate is filed. Usually.

Bostaevski 08-19-2007 12:08 AM

a death certificate is filed for biological death (also brain death, from which there is no recovery even though the rest of the body can be kept functioning for a few days with pressors/etc and a ventilator). However, you can be clinically dead - which is essentially what that other poster was talking about in the first place - and revived by a defibrillator.

So anyway no, per your definition (biological/brain death) none of these people were dead.

ncboiler 08-19-2007 12:11 AM

[ QUOTE ]
a death certificate is filed for biological death (also brain death, from which there is no recovery even though the rest of the body can be kept functioning for a few days with pressors/etc and a ventilator). However, you can be clinically dead - which is essentially what that other poster was talking about in the first place - and revived by a defibrillator.

So anyway no, per your definition (biological/brain death) none of these people were dead.

[/ QUOTE ]

when you are dead you are dead. No recovery.

jaydub 08-19-2007 12:31 AM

[ QUOTE ]

when you are a ridonculous nit you are dead. No recovery.

[/ QUOTE ]

Just saying...

J

ncboiler 08-19-2007 12:43 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Just saying...

J

[/ QUOTE ]

No Doctor, EMT, or miracle healer (in recent times) has ever brought someone back from being dead. I'm just saying.

jaydub 08-19-2007 12:49 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Just saying...

J

[/ QUOTE ]

No Doctor, EMT, or miracle healer (in recent times) has ever brought someone back from being dead. I'm just saying.

[/ QUOTE ]

Hey jesus freak, it happens frequently. Nit it up all you want but it is safe to say that on a very regular basis a doctor using scientific methods and trainings will in fact revive someone from a flatlined and clinically dead state. If you choose to define dead as not staying that way fine but quit tarding up otherwise already tarded posts.

J

ncboiler 08-19-2007 12:52 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Just saying...

J

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Hey jesus freak, it happens frequently. Nit it up all you want but it is safe to say that on a very regular basis a doctor using scientific methods and trainings will in fact revive someone from a flatlined and clinically dead state. If you choose to define dead as not staying that way fine but quit tarding up otherwise already tarded posts.

J

[/ QUOTE ]

Not a Jesus freak and was going out of my way to seem not so. Just because your heart has stopped beating does not mean you are dead. Jesus freak....get clue.

jaydub 08-19-2007 01:02 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Just saying...

J

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

J

[/ QUOTE ]

Not a Jesus freak and was going out of my way to seem not so. Just because your heart has stopped beating does not mean you are dead. Jesus freak....get clue.

[/ QUOTE ]

The religious assumption was the granting of benefit of the doubt; some Christians refuse to acknowledge resuscitation for obvious reasons. Now it is clear that you are nitting up the concept of clinical death.

Stop being a tard, you are not amusing and are not adding any benefit to the discussion, go back to bbv or whatever hole you crawled from.

J

ncboiler 08-19-2007 01:06 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Just saying...

J

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

J

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

The religious assumption was the granting of benefit of the doubt; some Christians refuse to acknowledge resuscitation for obvious reasons. Now it is clear that you are nitting up the concept of clinical death.

Stop being a tard, you are not amusing and are not adding any benefit to the discussion, go back to bbv or whatever hole you crawled from.

J

[/ QUOTE ]

I did not crawl from a hole. And dead people cannot be resurrected.

silver book 08-19-2007 01:25 AM

I have a volvo and its pretty awesome. So far I have not died, which is pretty cool.

wet work 08-19-2007 01:31 AM

I've had 3 Volvos. About 4 yrs ago a lady hit me and my gf head-on at about 45-50mph in a Durango. Completely destroyed the front end of the car. When you look at the pics you would definitely think the people in the car were hurt really bad or dead. Other than a bruised knee on my gf(passenger side) we were both fine. I definitely think the Volvo saved me that day and that was a major reason I bought the other two.

LocustHorde 08-19-2007 01:46 AM

The heavier the vehicle, the safer it is. Get a massive truck like a Ford F-250, Dodge Ram 2500, or the new Toyota Tundra.

Shoe 08-19-2007 02:03 AM

[ QUOTE ]
The heavier the vehicle, the safer it is. Get a massive truck like a Ford F-250, Dodge Ram 2500, or the new Toyota Tundra.

[/ QUOTE ]

youtalkfunny 08-19-2007 02:26 AM

Ah, they're all the same. Buy a car you like. It's probably just about as safe as all the others out there.

TheRover 08-19-2007 11:04 AM

Just import a Chery from China.

yellowdoyle 08-19-2007 01:52 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Can you back up this statement with any type of data? If so, please provide...I have always been curious about this idea.

tarcards 08-19-2007 03:04 PM

i READ stuff that said that that is not true that big cars are safer....

definately not "fact" that bigger = safer.

Bork 08-19-2007 03:12 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

OMG you READ STUFF?!

Bigger cars are definitely safer for you, and more dangerous for people not in your vehicle. It's commonsense and pretty much all statistical studies have born this result. Try google.

I drive a tiny little acura coupe, who do you think is likely to get more injured if I crash into a passenger train or an M1A1 Tank or a cruise ship?

More realistically who is going to get more injured crashing into a hum-vee, me or another hum-vee? As for crashing into heavy non-vehicle objects, generally the more massive your vehicle the less intrusion into the cabin there will be for similar speed crashes.

veganmav 08-21-2007 12:51 PM

its not just about how well your car does in a crash.
Safety also includes how likely you are to get into a crash.
A bigger SUV is more likely to get into a crash than an agile small sports car IMO.

moondogg 08-21-2007 01:05 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

OMG you READ STUFF?!

Bigger cars are definitely safer for you, and more dangerous for people not in your vehicle. It's commonsense and pretty much all statistical studies have born this result. Try google.

I drive a tiny little acura coupe, who do you think is likely to get more injured if I crash into a passenger train or an M1A1 Tank or a cruise ship?

More realistically who is going to get more injured crashing into a hum-vee, me or another hum-vee? As for crashing into heavy non-vehicle objects, generally the more massive your vehicle the less intrusion into the cabin there will be for similar speed crashes.

[/ QUOTE ]

Even if an SUV is bigger, it's not safer if its crappy design causes it to flip over and the gas tank to explode while you smash through the side windows. There are a lot more factors in car safety than just weight/force/etc.

blinden84 08-21-2007 01:09 PM

http://www.youtube.com/jp.swf?video_id=_...GJxZXYgOHx3cGbm http://www.pyrcz.com/images/05sti/bongback.jpg

KilgoreTrout 08-21-2007 01:46 PM

Heavier car usually wins, depending on velocity and type of impact. My pickup allows me to avoid/anticipate hazards better mainly because I can see over traffic in front of me. Sucks for the dude in the Mini Cooper behind me, but he made his choice.

Yeti 08-21-2007 01:53 PM

good thinking vegan. it's important to be able to travel in complete safety to the disease ridden dumpsters around town.

veganmav 08-21-2007 02:42 PM

Ok I am now looking at a mercedes S class.
Since they were one of the first to use the Electronic Stability control which is one of the biggest factors in safety. Anyway do all 1997 S class have ESC?

according to wikipedia:

"In 1997, following the new Mercedes-Benz tradition of mid-life facelifts (first with the W126 in 1986), the W140 received a minor facelift. The clear turn signal indicator lenses on the front and rear were the most obvious changes. Headlamps were fitted with separate low and high beam reflectors. Following the mid-year facelift, the W140 coupé and sedan were each fitted with Electronic Stability Control."

My main goal now is to find a good value car that has ESC and side curtain airbags...