Two Plus Two Newer Archives

Two Plus Two Newer Archives (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/index.php)
-   EDF (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/forumdisplay.php?f=81)
-   -   Hired an Interior Designer (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/showthread.php?t=479650)

Clarkmeister 08-17-2007 03:06 AM

Hired an Interior Designer

Any advice?

Got a guy who is really top notch. Recommended by a friend and was lead designer for parts of Bellagio, including Olives and the Bellagio Spa.

So far things seem to be going well. We walked through the appliccable areas, I told him what I was looking for and provided a budget. He seemed pretty excited by what he had to work with and took the job. I really like him so far, we get along pretty well.

Since then, he's come back, taken measurements and pictures and such, and will have a proposal for me in a few weeks.

Basically looking for any tips, ideas, experiences, etc that could help. I'll do some before and after pics once we get to that point.

edfurlong 08-17-2007 03:10 AM

Re: Hired an Interior Designer

No suggestions here, my mom made me buy a picture once. What basis do they use to come up with their pay for a job?

Clarkmeister 08-17-2007 03:13 AM

[ QUOTE ]
No suggestions here, my mom made me buy a picture once. What basis do they use to come up with their pay for a job?

[/ QUOTE ]

I am told that usually it's a markup % on any items/services purchased. I am paying an hourly rate.

JaBlue 08-17-2007 03:21 AM

this thread needs before/after pics

Clarkmeister 08-17-2007 03:23 AM

[ QUOTE ]
this thread needs before/after pics

[/ QUOTE ]

Yes. I will post plenty of pics. He took lots of before pics already, I'll use those at some point.

I'm about 2 weeks away from his proposal, so maybe I'll post some that I take myself prior to then.

El Diablo 08-17-2007 03:24 AM

Clark,

Is he doing art too, or just furniture and "stuff" ?

Also, he's gay, right?

Clarkmeister 08-17-2007 03:31 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Clark,

Is he doing art too, or just furniture and "stuff" ?

Also, he's gay, right?

[/ QUOTE ]

I haven't asked him to do art, and there's not tons of space for it. But it's not out of the question. He got super excited when I volunteered that I thought paint and window treatments could help.

As for sexual preference, I'm told he is, but obviously it hasn't come up and I wouldn't have necessarily guessed it without being told prior.

tubasteve 08-17-2007 03:49 AM

Don't let him trick you into believing you really need 10 throw pillows adorning every room.

Clarkmeister 08-17-2007 03:53 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Don't let him trick you into believing you really need 10 throw pillows adorning every room.

[/ QUOTE ]

I currently have lots of throw pillows. I kind of like them. Maybe he'll have me get rid of a few.

tubasteve 08-17-2007 03:56 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I currently have lots of throw pillows. I kind of like them. Maybe he'll have me get rid of a few.

[/ QUOTE ]

Or at least he can help you pick out some really classy ones.

Clarkmeister 08-17-2007 04:01 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Or at least he can help you pick out some really classy ones.

[/ QUOTE ]

He said he loved my family room couches which I bought used 6 years ago from a furniture rental liquidation seller. I'm not too worried about him picking out things that don't fit in, or are "classy for the sake of being classy". But, we'll see. I admit to being possibly overoptomistic right now.

lippy 08-17-2007 04:07 AM

What is the cost going to be (if you don't mind saying)?

Clarkmeister 08-17-2007 04:12 AM

His standard rate for those who do hourly instead of markup is $125/hr. He gave me a discount since we have a mutual friend, so I'm paying a little less.

xxThe_Lebowskixx 08-17-2007 04:49 AM

before and after pictures please.

adsman 08-17-2007 05:36 AM

[ QUOTE ]
His standard rate for those who do hourly instead of markup is $125/hr. He gave me a discount since we have a mutual friend, so I'm paying a little less.

[/ QUOTE ]

Wow, things are a little more expensive over in the States. I took on a project manager/designer for my bar and she cost me 600 euro for 4 months of consultation.

BadBoyBenny 08-17-2007 08:34 AM

[ QUOTE ]

As for sexual preference, I'm told he is, but obviously it hasn't come up and I wouldn't have necessarily guessed it without being told prior.

[/ QUOTE ]

Even if he's straight he might have had to spread the rumor around town that he's gay to keep the business coming in.

Paul B. 08-17-2007 11:03 AM

What kind of education does he have? Better yet, just have him do an "Ask me about interior design" thread.

andyfox 08-17-2007 11:13 AM

When you get the budget, if all is OK, tell him OK, this is what we've agreed to. Anything that costs more--other than something I approve for additional items--will be considered a gift, for which I thank you in advance.

Make sure you everything you're buying in person. Don't take his word for it that "it's from the same manufacturer, you'll love it."

Clarkmeister 08-17-2007 11:23 AM

[ QUOTE ]
What kind of education does he have? Better yet, just have him do an "Ask me about interior design" thread.

[/ QUOTE ]

He has a BA in Interior Design.

I'll link to his website after it's over.

Clarkmeister 08-17-2007 11:27 AM

[ QUOTE ]
When you get the budget, if all is OK, tell him OK, this is what we've agreed to. Anything that costs more--other than something I approve for additional items--will be considered a gift, for which I thank you in advance.

Make sure you everything you're buying in person. Don't take his word for it that "it's from the same manufacturer, you'll love it."

[/ QUOTE ]

Yes, I plan on that. He did an unbelievable job at my friends place, but I am pretty lukewarm on one of the window treatments he selected.

I will be interested to see how the budget goes. When we chatted and I told him the amount, his response was "Your biggest cost will be paint, then window treatments, then me, then accessories/furnishings".

jeffnc 08-17-2007 11:51 AM

Before/after pics would be fine, but the important thing is that he gives you what you want, even if it's not what he likes. And especially even if it's not what this forum likes. Great idea to hire one by the way. I'd like to hear how it turns out, I might hire one when I move.

Clarkmeister 08-17-2007 12:45 PM

Here are some pics of the main floor. We're also going to do the master bedroom, but I was too lazy to walk upstairs and take pics.

The long narrow area is where I'd guess 75% of the work will be done.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v2...acation464.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v2...acation469.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v2...acation466.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v2...acation465.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v2...acation467.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v2...acation468.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v2...acation375.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v2...acation461.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v2...acation462.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v2...acation460.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v2...acation463.jpg

27offsuit 08-17-2007 12:49 PM

I am connected somewhat to this industry and the markup always amazes me. I'd say its around 30-40%, which is just free money on top of the 125 an hour.

Also, a common scenario I see is ID's in cahoots with their regular suppliers. As an example, say a guy is selling a couch with a price tag of 3000. ID tacks on 30% and hands you a bill for 3900, but also cuts a 'volume deal' with the supplier and buys it from him for 2500.

Hello $1400 for ordering a couch. You obviously never see this on any invoice. It's kind of their bread and butter, but it is also often abused, since people who can hire ID's often have more cash at their disposal.

That being said, there are a lot of good ID's. It's one of those 'you have a calling' industries. You can't fake being good at it and when you're good at it, you don't need to fleece your clients.

Good luck, can't wait to see some pics.

What is the time frame you are working with?

Clarkmeister 08-17-2007 12:52 PM

No markup, just the flat fee. I trust this guy absolutely given the relationship, the guy who knows him is one of the smartest and most trustworthy guys I know and he did his own research on pieces he bought, so no worries there.

Timeframe is basically whenever. 2 weeks for presentation, I'd guess we make some tweaks from there, maybe a month to get everything done. I'm guessing finished product around late October?

27offsuit 08-17-2007 01:00 PM

Nice. It sounds like you are in good hands.

I just checked out your pics. From a professional standpoint, it pains me to see carpet on that beautiful staircase.

jeffnc 08-17-2007 01:44 PM

[ QUOTE ]
That being said, there are a lot of good ID's. It's one of those 'you have a calling' industries. You can't fake being good at it and when you're good at it, you don't need to fleece your clients.

[/ QUOTE ]

I think you can get ripped more with "interior decorators", since almost anyone can claim to be one of those.

SlowHabit 08-17-2007 01:53 PM

Clark,

I hope that white light/fan combo on top of the dinner table won't be there in the near future.

RJT 08-17-2007 02:11 PM

I trust that your refrigerator being about 4 inches into the doorway is a temporary situation.

Oh, and your biggest expense will be hardwood floors. But, seems that will have to be down the road (i.e. probably not even a consideration now.)

Best of luck.

Clarkmeister 08-17-2007 02:11 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Clark,

I hope that white light/fan combo on top of the dinner table won't be there in the near future.

[/ QUOTE ]

I specifically told him I wanted it removed. One of my very very few direct requests.

Clarkmeister 08-17-2007 02:16 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I trust that your refrigerator being about 4 inches into the doorway is a temporary situation.

Oh, and your biggest expense will be hardwood floors. But, seems that will have to be down the road (i.e. probably not even a consideration now.)

Best of luck.

[/ QUOTE ]

The smaller one in the main entryway is there temporarily. It's making lots of noise and I wanted to be sure it was level. The other one will end up wherever he tells me. I told him I likely needed another one of those, or some alternate refrigerated wine storage that works well with the rest of the room.

JaBlue 08-17-2007 02:34 PM

your stuff looks hip to me. What's with the extra TV next to the flatscreen? The ladder on the other side of the fireplace?

Also not a big fan of the clock over the mantle.

the marble to carpet transition seems kind of odd and I would definitely go for a different wall color, though its hard to say which.

+EV 08-17-2007 04:04 PM

My advice would be to get rid of the door that looks like the Sith lord's face from Star Wars episode 1. Seriously does anyone else see that or is it me?

+EV

Clarkmeister 08-17-2007 04:37 PM

[ QUOTE ]
My advice would be to get rid of the door that looks like the Sith lord's face from Star Wars episode 1. Seriously does anyone else see that or is it me?

+EV

[/ QUOTE ]

My mom calls it the "devil face", but obviously it's two dragons back to back clutching white orbs. The best is at night, the outside light shines right through the green eyes. The stained glass dragon doors are going nowhere.

Clarkmeister 08-17-2007 04:41 PM

[ QUOTE ]
your stuff looks hip to me. What's with the extra TV next to the flatscreen?

[/ QUOTE ]

2 TVs > 1 TV. Especially with fall coming up. I'd have 3 TVs if I could figure out a way to do it.

[ QUOTE ]
The ladder on the other side of the fireplace?

[/ QUOTE ]

The wood color and feel of the ladder, to me, works well with the the general main floor accents. Who knows if it'll make the cut, he may well decide to kill it.

[ QUOTE ]
Also not a big fan of the clock over the mantle.

[/ QUOTE ]

I get that a lot. I'm open to other ideas, but I hate not having a highly visible clock in a room that I spend any appreciable time in. The time on the cable box doesn't count.

[ QUOTE ]
the marble to carpet transition seems kind of odd and I would definitely go for a different wall color, though its hard to say which.

[/ QUOTE ]

I asked him about the flooring and he didn't seem to think it was a major issue that needed immediate change. He and I both agreed that paint was a major need virtually everywhere.

As an aside, I have a friend who owns a custom cabinet company and we are going to redo all the kitchen cabinets in the next year or so.

RJT 08-17-2007 07:14 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

Best of luck.

[/ QUOTE ]

The smaller one in the main entryway is there temporarily. It's making lots of noise and I wanted to be sure it was level. The other one will end up wherever he tells me. I told him I likely needed another one of those, or some alternate refrigerated wine storage that works well with the rest of the room.

[/ QUOTE ]

Clark,

No, I was talking about in your kitchen. What is between the frig and the counter? Push it over 4" to the right (facing the frig), it looks like you moved it to clean the floor and forgot to push it back.

RJT

Oh, I bet when you open the right door, you can't open it all the way - it hits the counter. Bummer.

gaming_mouse 08-17-2007 07:36 PM

I like your dog. He's funny.

Kneel B4 Zod 08-17-2007 07:41 PM

I like how your laptop is on 2+2

Clarkmeister 08-17-2007 08:14 PM

I never really noticed the fridge. I'll check it out tonight. You may be right about the counter, but the camera angle likely makes it look worse than it is, plus you are likely correct that it could move closer.

Clarkmeister 08-17-2007 08:14 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I like your dog. He's funny.

[/ QUOTE ]

Her name is Zena (yes, I know the TV character was spelled with an X).

Jurollo 08-17-2007 08:29 PM

The huge couch in this room seems like a poor fit. Swallows up most of the space in the room. That is my only comment.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v2...acation467.jpg