Two Plus Two Newer Archives

Two Plus Two Newer Archives (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/index.php)
-   Other Other Topics (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/forumdisplay.php?f=36)
-   -   How Racist? Should I be offended? (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/showthread.php?t=476639)

nickey009 08-13-2007 05:46 PM

How Racist? Should I be offended?

I thought this was pretty funny.

My girl and I were sitting at Cost-co enjoying our 1.50 polish dogs and a churro. I'm 1/2 Chinese and 1/2 Japanese. She's 3/4 chinese 1/4 Cambodian. Anyway, this dude sits down next to us and looks over and says "Hey, do you guys speak Asian?" I give him a sort of "what the hell did you just ask me?" look. As soon as the words escaped his lips he reeled back and said "I mean, do you speak any Asian languages?"

So, should I be offended? Would anyone ever go up to a random black guy and ask him if he speaks Africa?

siccjay 08-13-2007 05:48 PM

Re: How Racist? Should I be offended?

Karate chop him, obviously.

1aguilas 08-13-2007 05:48 PM

this is ignorance more than racism IMO...the guy is just really ignorant

guids 08-13-2007 05:48 PM

another asian racism post?

Alobar 08-13-2007 05:49 PM

you should have replied

"ahhh, I sowwy, I no speakey engrish" and then folded your hands and bowed

Jordan 08-13-2007 05:50 PM

I don't think you should be offended. He was just trying to make polite conversation and was curious to know if you spoke a foreign language. He probably doesn't know what to call the different Asian languages, so he simply said Asian. As soon as he realized what he'd said, and that it could be interpreted offensively, he did his best to correct himself. He's ignorant, but I don't think he's trying to be offensive.

Alobar 08-13-2007 05:50 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I was actually going to make one too, but I figured I'd wait a week. Was going to be titled "Racism question for asians"

Im not kidding either

cynic757 08-13-2007 05:52 PM

So weak.

If this offends you then prepare for a life of anger.

guids 08-13-2007 05:53 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I was actually going to make one too, but I figured I'd wait a week. Was going to be titled "Racism question for asians"

Im not kidding either

[/ QUOTE ]

I think we hashed things out pretty well in teh last one no?

PS- to all you asians in the house, Id much rather get stereotyped as bowing, adn singing bad karaoke than smelling like garlic and grabbing your crotch all the time.

Scary_Tiger 08-13-2007 05:55 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I don't think you should be offended. He was just trying to make polite conversation and was curious to know if you spoke a foreign language. He probably doesn't know what to call the different Asian languages, so he simply said Asian. As soon as he realized what he'd said, and that it could be interpreted offensively, he did his best to correct himself. He's ignorant, but I don't think he's trying to be offensive.

[/ QUOTE ]

kidcolin 08-13-2007 05:55 PM

guids,

Bowing is only chapter 1. We still need to clear up chopsticks, eye gestures, the asian driving stereotype, and being good at math.

DonkeyKongSr 08-13-2007 05:56 PM

It's racist that you didn't just call you and your girlfriend 100% Asian in your post. 100% Oriental would have also been acceptable, but all the detail you put is just there to confuse us white folk and that's racist.

guids 08-13-2007 05:58 PM

[ QUOTE ]
guids,

Bowing is only chapter 1. We still need to clear up chopsticks, eye gestures, the asian driving stereotype, and being good at math.

[/ QUOTE ]

being loud, wearing too much cologne, greasiness, and guinea charm......take that.

what about asian women...are they just mediocre at math or what?

dmisfh1 08-13-2007 05:58 PM

[ QUOTE ]

My girl and I were sitting at Cost-co enjoying our 1.50 polish dogs and a churro. I'm 1/2 Chinese and 1/2 Japanese. She's 3/4 chinese 1/4 Cambodian. Anyway, this dude sits down next to us and looks over and says "Hey, do you guys speak Asian?" I give him a sort of "what the hell did you just ask me?" look. As soon as the words escaped his lips he reeled back and said "I mean, do you speak any Asian languages?"

So, should I be offended? Would anyone ever go up to a random black guy and ask him if he speaks Africa?

[/ QUOTE ]

Why do you feel the need to mention that? How is that relevant to the story?

It seems to me that you are the one showing signs of racism in this story.

As an example, if there was a man working behind the counter of a Blockbuster and he happened to be black, how would this be any different from saying, "I was standing on line waiting for the black employee working behind the counter to call me up"?

elwoodblues 08-13-2007 06:01 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

So what's the answer to his question? Do you speak Oriental?

guids 08-13-2007 06:02 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

As an example, if there was a man working behind the counter of a Blockbuster and he happened to be black, how would this be any different from saying, "I was standing on line waiting for the black employee working behind the counter to call me up"?

[/ QUOTE ]

There is a great black dong/lisa lapinelli joke here, I just dont know what it is yet.

Scary_Tiger 08-13-2007 06:03 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
guids,

[/ QUOTE ]

being loud, wearing too much cologne, greasiness, and guinea charm......take that.

what about asian women...are they just mediocre at math or what?

[/ QUOTE ]

In Math Team in Massachusetts, you are split into groups of five, the top five are in group one, the next best five are in group two and so on. Group one was three asian males, one white male (me! brag ldo), and one asian female. Group two was two asian females, one white male, and two asian males. Group three was one asian female and four white males. My school was >90% white fwiw.

So clearly, the hierarchy is asian male > asian female > white male >>>>>>>>>>>>&g t;>>>>>> everyone else. That is to say, asian females are still excellent at math. It's just men are better than women.

stabn 08-13-2007 06:05 PM

"Cost-co"

In American we don't use a -.

The B 08-13-2007 06:09 PM

*** new title of post ***

1/2 Chinese and 1/2 Japanese douchebag gets offended at NON-Racist conversation starter

RichGangi 08-13-2007 06:12 PM

You should not be offended by this at all imo. It is a little rude, but not that bad.

DeMaci 08-13-2007 06:12 PM

I think its pathetic that people have to ask if they should be offended. This racism stuff is getting way out of line, obv the guy is a douche but if youre not offended, youre not. You should have made some smart as remark and let it pass.

bobman0330 08-13-2007 06:13 PM

This reminds me of this one time when this guy came up to me and asked, "Do you speak Chinese?" and I was all like, "WTF is wrong with you dude? Don't you realize that the so-called Chinese language is actually a family of languages? Did you mean to ask if I spoke Mandarin? Cantonese? [censored] WU??!?" And then he was like, "I never knew that. I'm sorry if I offended you with my ignorance and insensitivity. Thank you for sharing that piece of your cultural heritage." What a [censored] racist. Now I know exactly how the Jews felt during the Holocaust. Exactly.

mason55 08-13-2007 06:13 PM

one time i was realyl drunk and yelled "ching chong chang" at some asian girl on the street in nyc. i cna't figure out why she yelled "EFF YOU" in perfect english.

tuq 08-13-2007 06:14 PM

What a crime against huge manatee. The thread, that is.

offTopic 08-13-2007 06:14 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Smile, nod, hand him a napkin.

---

ETA: Also, it's pretty standard for someone to walk up to my dad when he's working on the yard and ask, "Are you the gardener?" so don't feel too bad. Or do. But what you experienced will happen a lot.

emon87 08-13-2007 06:14 PM

I didn't read the post but you should not be offended.

prohornblower 08-13-2007 06:15 PM

[ QUOTE ]
you should have replied

"ahhh, I sowwy, I no speakey Amewican " and then folded your hands and bowed

[/ QUOTE ]

EPiPeN11 08-13-2007 06:16 PM

[ QUOTE ]
this is ignorance more than racism IMO...the guy is just really ignorant

[/ QUOTE ]

EPiPeN11 08-13-2007 06:16 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I think its pathetic that people have to ask if they should be offended. This racism stuff is getting way out of line, obv the guy is a douche but if youre not offended, youre not. You should have made some smart as remark and let it pass.

[/ QUOTE ]

nickey009 08-13-2007 06:16 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm really not offended but I like to bring up stories like this because it's funny. As for the Polish dog...well I didn't order a hot dog. I ordered the polish dog.

nickey009 08-13-2007 06:19 PM

Hey, I got a star! Where'd it come from and why do I have it?

tuq 08-13-2007 06:20 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Hey, I got a star! Where'd it come from and why do I have it?

[/ QUOTE ]
You should ask here: http://forumserver.twoplustwo.com/po...p;Board=forum. We need something fresh to discuss over there.

guids 08-13-2007 06:20 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

---

ETA: Also, it's pretty standard for someone to walk up to my dad when he's working on the yard and ask, "Are you the gardener?" so don't feel too bad. Or do. But what you experienced will happen a lot.

[/ QUOTE ]

I thought you were Asian, not mexican?

ChuckyB 08-13-2007 06:21 PM

Since it sounds like the villian was harmless and meant nothing bad by it, I'd either laugh it off and give him the answer, or playfully make him think I was really offended.

Either way...I don't think you should really be offended. Maybe find a way to let the villain know he's toeing a fine line -- the next person he says something stupid to might not be so nice.

offTopic 08-13-2007 06:25 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

---

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Well, I was born in California, so...

bdk3clash 08-13-2007 09:16 PM

I've said it before and I'll say it again: you should have put pee-pee in his coke.

niss 08-13-2007 09:20 PM

I'm missing the part where you offered to do his raundry.

TexRef 08-13-2007 09:49 PM

http://ftlpoker.net/images/thats_waisis.gif

mason55 08-13-2007 09:50 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Well, I was born in California, so...

[/ QUOTE ]

General Tso's Burrito