Two Plus Two Newer Archives

Two Plus Two Newer Archives (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/index.php)
-   Other Other Topics (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/forumdisplay.php?f=36)
-   -   Funny / Clever / Original Message.... (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/showthread.php?t=475660)

The B 08-12-2007 01:31 PM

Funny / Clever / Original Message....

to leave on my personal voicemail.

Just got new cell and don't want to put "This is ___________, Please leave a message after the beep" as my message.

otnemem 08-12-2007 01:35 PM

Re: Funny / Clever / Original Message....

Any message that attempts to be funny/clever/original is usually unfunny/stupid/unoriginal.

Seriously, why would you do anything but say, "This is ______. I can't get to my phone right now, so leave a message and I'll call you back?"

2/325Falcon 08-12-2007 01:36 PM

Believe it or not, George isn't at home...

Edit: Youtube.

Yeti 08-12-2007 01:37 PM

i always thought the 'hello?.....hello? anyone there? well i'm not right now so leave a message' was funny on paper, but it probably sounds stupid if you actually go ahead with it.

gamblore99 08-12-2007 01:46 PM

my friend had his something like "Oh. Hey man whats up? *pause* Not to much and you? *pause* Listen I'm not actually here right now. Why don't you leave a message?"

It was really good, and most people didn't figure it out until the "I'm not here right now" part

JP OSU 08-12-2007 01:47 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Damnit I came in to post that... I actually used that as my voicemail for like 2 years...

kyleb 08-12-2007 02:00 PM

funny / clever messages are stupid.

KOTLP 08-12-2007 02:00 PM

In my college stoner days my roomates and I spent many nights passing the old answering machine around at 3am. By the time we passed out laughing there was usually something really nonsensical like random farm animal noises or some [censored].

For a while one of my roomates left on a jerky boysish message, something like "I can't come to the phone right now. I'm looking at my ass in the mirror. It's blowing my [censored] mind!". There was a message one day from an unknown woman saying "That's real cute, and if you don't change that message I'm going to turn you into the phone company."

So he changed it to "Hi, you've reached xxx-xxxx. We're not home right now, please leave your name and number, and we'll call ya back... And if you're that [censored] bitch that called threatening to turn us into the phone company. [censored] you you fat whore."

She never left another message. Good times.

GambleGamble 08-12-2007 05:42 PM

Simple...

"What the FUCCCKKK do you want" ...beep

ThePost 08-12-2007 09:28 PM

Simpler

"Go. Beeeeeeep"

guids 08-12-2007 09:33 PM

for some reason, I hate anyone that doesnt have a professional voice mail message. I dont know why, but I do.

ThePost 08-12-2007 09:34 PM

Thats cause 95% of customized messages suck.

private joker 08-12-2007 09:35 PM

God I hate "cute" outgoing messages. When I'm calling someone, I just want to get them so I can speak. If they can't answer, I'm already pissed off and the last thing I need is an amateur stand-up routine. Just say "This is ___ leave a message" and end it right away so you don't waste my time. Furthermore, the same friends will be leaving messages, so even a funny joke will only be funny once -- the rest of the time it will be old and make you look like a douchebag.

guids 08-12-2007 09:36 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Thats cause 95% of customized messages suck.

[/ QUOTE ]

nah, even the 5% of "good ones", I hate.

Los Feliz Slim 08-12-2007 09:48 PM

I think it would be funny to say "If this is an emergency, please hang up and dial 911."

The Yugoslavian 08-12-2007 09:51 PM

"You've reached the WORLD CHAMP SHIPPPPPPPPPPP ITTTTTT!"

...has worked for me for months. You have to be a world champ though, so your YMMV, [img]/images/graemlins/tongue.gif[/img].

Yugoslav

benza13 08-12-2007 11:00 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

My roommate has this as his message.

pergesu 08-12-2007 11:28 PM

Mine says, "Hey it's Pat, I'm not in. I'll call you soon." I get lots of compliments on it for some reason.

I've never heard a funny message that was funny the second time I called that person.

Klompy 08-12-2007 11:33 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Damnit I came in to post that... I actually used that as my voicemail for like 2 years...

[/ QUOTE ]

We would get along well irl then as I used this for about 2 years too, except I found the background audio online and sang it myself replacing the word george with my real name. I have a decent singing voice, so it didn't sound stupid.

pergesu 08-12-2007 11:40 PM

[ QUOTE ]
it didn't sound stupid.

[/ QUOTE ]
Can anyone who's ever left a message on your machine confirm?

FlyWf 08-12-2007 11:52 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I think it would be funny to say "If this is an emergency, please hang up and dial 911."

[/ QUOTE ]

That's actually reasonably funny, but the second time I called you and got your voicemail I'd hate you for the rest of my life. guids is right. You people with "funny" messages, don't you ever apply for a new job? What if a doctor calls, or a potential business associate, or a landlord, or any grownup? How do you look someone in the face after you know they've listened to "Hey? How's it going? Ahhhh-ha, I got you, this is my voicemail. Holla atcha boy!!"?

In the Bourne Identity Matt Damon's character has his message in multiple languages, that would be pimp. I need to move to a place where I can justify that. That's the only acceptable variation.

Klompy 08-12-2007 11:55 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
it didn't sound stupid.

[/ QUOTE ]
Can anyone who's ever left a message on your machine confirm?

[/ QUOTE ]
Yes, I got TONS of compliments, but I eventually changed it as it was overplayed to all the people who were calling, and to long to listen to to actully leave a message.

tuq 08-13-2007 12:21 AM

When I'm not poasting incessantly at 2+2 I am a recruiter, so I listen to people's VM all day. General agreement that the cutesy recordings are dumb, but there are worse: occasionally I'll stumble upon someone whose entire message is some hip-hop song or something stupid like that. No mention of their name or anything. I generally don't leave a message for those people and make a note to never call them again.

From a business perspective, my all-time favorite recording belonged to some guy who was referred to me. His recording consisted of him yelling his name into the phone, then beep. I think his name was Ernie Gonzales, or something close to that. ERRRRRRRNIE GONZALLLLLLLLLLES. Beep. Awesome.

Bulldog 08-13-2007 11:22 AM

I've always wanted a famous voice but never thought of it whenever I had the chance. Something like

"This is Vince Young. Bulldog isn't available right now, but leave a message and he'll get back to you. Go Titans!"

4_2_it 08-13-2007 11:26 AM

I don't even have a personalized message. You just get the AT&T lady telling you I am unavailable and to leave a message after the tone or press 5 to page this person.

Josey_Wales 08-13-2007 11:36 AM

[ QUOTE ]
God I hate "cute" outgoing messages. When I'm calling someone, I just want to get them so I can speak. If they can't answer, I'm already pissed off and the last thing I need is an amateur stand-up routine. Just say "This is ___ leave a message" and end it right away so you don't waste my time. Furthermore, the same friends will be leaving messages, so even a funny joke will only be funny once -- the rest of the time it will be old and make you look like a douchebag.

[/ QUOTE ]

The worst part about messages now is after the damn beep you have to listen to another message about "more options" or "to leave a call back number"!!!

Yads 08-13-2007 12:15 PM

How to make a funny answering machine message here

DrewDevil 08-13-2007 12:31 PM

In the history of my life, I think I have only heard of one really cool message.

A good buddy of mine went to Penn and a good buddy of his was from Philadelphia. That guy's family was good friends with Harry Kalas, the longtime play-by-play voice of the Philadelphia Phillies.

Kalas has one of the most authentic-sounding "baseball announcer" voices ever. If you heard him ordering a steak, you'd instantly know he was a baseball announcer. Anyway, this guy's family had Kalas record their answering machine message:

Hello, the Smiths aren't here, they've gone for a LOOOONNNG drive! They're gone! They're outta here! They'll call back when they are SAFE at home! [beeeep]

tuq 08-13-2007 01:04 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I don't even have a personalized message. You just get the AT&T lady telling you I am unavailable and to leave a message after the tone or press 5 to page this person.

[/ QUOTE ]
I don't like this solely because if I'm dialing a number for the first time or am otherwise unsure about it then I don't know if I have the right person because it's a generic recording. Minor nit, but it happens about once a week or so or so.

4_2_it 08-13-2007 01:18 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
I don't like this solely because if I'm dialing a number for the first time or am otherwise unsure about it then I don't know if I have the right person because it's a generic recording. Minor nit, but it happens about once a week or so or so.

[/ QUOTE ]

Valid point, however, it works great for those of us who like to keep their cell number private [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]