Two Plus Two Newer Archives

Two Plus Two Newer Archives (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/index.php)
-   Other Other Topics (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/forumdisplay.php?f=36)
-   -   Recommend Me a Beer (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/showthread.php?t=475309)

RobertJohn 08-11-2007 10:00 PM

Recommend Me a Beer

I've been switching up my main diet of beer.

I've grown sick of that Framboise [censored] after spending thousands on that fruity irresistible stuff. I've also grown sick of Young's Chocolate Stout and any regular domestic beer.

I recently tried Mythos which is a Greek beer and I thought it was pretty good.

The problem is that I'm not well-versed in the art of beer (though I should be based on quantity consumed [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]).

Although I do enjoy dark, rich stuff like Guiness Stout and Boddington's, I think I am most partial to the lighter beers.

I'm looking for mainly SMOOTHNESS, clean-taste, and drinkability. Not into the super-skunky stuff right now.

So, I'll be heading off to Bevmo in a couple hours and I was wondering if anyone could recommend something right up my alley.

If you have a beer that doesn't fit my description, but its sooooo good that you think I should try it anyway, don't hesitate to share.

Thanks All

PS Yes OP is a functioning alcoholic.

ncboiler 08-11-2007 10:03 PM

Re: Recommend Me a Beer

I drink only for effect. To achieve that I drink Mic Ultra. Tastes like water and has the alcohol content you would expect from a domestic. Both are a bonus.

tuq 08-11-2007 10:03 PM

I enjoy Stella Artois quite a bit. Not heavy, not too light, packs a bit of a punch (as opposed to me having to drink a case of Miller Lite to get a buzz) and I really like the taste. An increasing number of bars here in town are putting it on tap, which is a welcome development.

Thug Bubbles 08-11-2007 10:03 PM

Delirium Nocturnum

Ridiculously smooth, very flavorful without being overtly so (meaning it still tastes like beer), and 9 percent alcohol content!

Also, Stella Artios as mentioned by tuq is great also. Perfect for a hot summer night.

4drugmoney 08-11-2007 10:05 PM

I don't know if you would like New Castle,but I think its pretty good. If you can get Orion on tap, it's really good

Morbo 08-11-2007 10:06 PM

I think you should give Staropramen a try. Make sure you don't get the darker one, the lighter one will suit you better I believe. It's my absolute favorite beer, and I think it fits your critera perfect. Give it a try.

membersclub 08-11-2007 10:14 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I drink only for effect.

[/ QUOTE ]
you are clearly an alcoholic. [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]

CharlieDontSurf 08-11-2007 10:16 PM

Coors Light

RobertJohn 08-11-2007 10:17 PM

I like the recommendations so far:

[ QUOTE ]
Staropramen
Orion
Delerium Nocturnum
Stella Artois

[/ QUOTE ]

I've tried Stella Artois a while back (I think I bought a sixer) and I'm pretty sure I liked it, but I wasn't compelled to pick it up again. Maybe I should give it another shot. I've also had my fair share of nukies.

The other stuff I haven't tried, but I will definitely check it out. Thanks.

Hamish McBagpipe 08-11-2007 10:26 PM

Stella is pop. Try this one, kind of Grolschisch. Singapore import, very nice, lager with a bit of bite.
http://img329.imageshack.us/img329/8...callogobg7.jpg

XXXNoahXXX 08-11-2007 10:26 PM

try searching, theres been a bunch of beer threads.

tuq 08-11-2007 10:34 PM

OP,

I think you need to state where you live and what types of places you frequent, or if you're looking to purchase for home consumption only.

I have no idea if the other recommendations are good or not (although Charlie recommending Coors Light once again makes me sad that we went to the same high school), they just come off as so obscure IMO that you'd be hard pressed to get them anywhere that wasn't a microbrewery or high-end liquor store. My recommendation was one that you could find in most bars in the US, be it on tap or bottle, as well as most grocery and liquor stores thus not limiting the places it can be found.

Monolith 08-11-2007 10:38 PM

In my opinion, Sam Adam's, of any variety, is the best beer around...

Cornell Fiji 08-11-2007 10:42 PM

[ QUOTE ]
OP,

I think you need to state where you live

[/ QUOTE ]

PS - I love Rogue.
PPS - search for the beer thread in el diablo forum

RobertJohn 08-11-2007 10:42 PM

[ QUOTE ]
try searching, theres been a bunch of beer threads.

[/ QUOTE ]

Will do, thanks. I kind of had a specific type of beer in mind though and thought my own little thread would be helpful/practical.

[ QUOTE ]
think you need to state where you live and what types of places you frequent, or if you're looking to purchase for home consumption only.

I have no idea if the other recommendations are good or not (although Charlie recommending Coors Light once again makes me sad that we went to the same high school), they just come off as so obscure IMO that you'd be hard pressed to get them anywhere that wasn't a microbrewery or high-end liquor store.

[/ QUOTE ]

I was worried about some of the obscure references too.

I’m in OC, CA.

I’ll be heading to BEVMO, which is a chain place for beers/wines/etc. that tends to have a wider selection than your average liquor store. However, sometimes they lag and don’t have certain [censored] in, and they do quite often sell out certain brands.

I was going to purchase for home consumption.

irunnotgood 08-11-2007 10:44 PM

Weihenstephaner Hefe weissbier

best beer in the world on a warm summer evening.

RobertJohn 08-11-2007 10:46 PM

[ QUOTE ]
PS - I love Rogue.

[/ QUOTE ]

My buddy loves that stuff too. That and FAT TIRE.

[ QUOTE ]
PPS - search for the beer thread in el diablo forum

[/ QUOTE ]

Alright, I'm on it.

Here’s a reminder from the original post:

[ QUOTE ]
I'm looking for mainly SMOOTHNESS, clean-taste, and drinkability. Not into the super-skunky stuff right now.

[/ QUOTE ]

shadypac 08-11-2007 10:46 PM

umm.....bud? screw that imported [censored]

JMa 08-11-2007 10:56 PM

just buy a handful of different lagers

stormstarter28 08-11-2007 10:58 PM

Leinenkugel's Sunset Wheat: very light and easy to drink. Good stuff.

KDuff 08-11-2007 11:04 PM

Heineken?

wcsherry 08-11-2007 11:05 PM

Excellent Microbrewery Selections made by New Glarus Brewing Co:

Spotted Cow.
Fat Squirrel.

Gogog!

Victor 08-11-2007 11:06 PM

where do you live?

twohearted ale pale ale or oberon ale if youre in mich, oh, in area.

RobertJohn 08-11-2007 11:06 PM

Thanks for reminding me about that thread:

The Beer Connoisseur Thread

That thread kicks ass. I read it and I am deciding on getting something from the following list:

Ommegang Three Philosophers

Raison d'Etre

New Belgium Sunshine Wheat

With the Ommegang Three Philosophers being at the top of the list.

Thanks for the suggestions and the links. I'm going to take a couple BTs and then head out to pick up! Any last minute suggestions?

wcsherry 08-11-2007 11:08 PM

40 oz of Mickey's Malt Liquor is also acceptable.

PocketZeros 08-11-2007 11:18 PM

Based on your description, you may really enjoy Japanese beer. Try Sapporo, Asahi, or Kirin Ichiban and you won't be disappointed.

Other than that, my personal favorites of the moment are White Hawk IPA and Sea Dog Blueberry Wheat Ale.

RobertJohn 08-12-2007 12:04 AM

I got two pints of:

http://www.liquidsolutions.biz/produ...three-phil.gif

and a pint of:

http://www.beer-paradise.com/images/...um_tremens.jpg

though I was tempted to get the Tremens since a few people said it was better, but whatever this should do. I think the suggestions were great. My taste buds shall thank you.

I choose the Ommegang Three Philosophers because I am weening myself off of the Lindemmans selections. The Three Philosophers contains 2% of the Kriek stuff.

Thanks everyone!

RobertJohn 08-12-2007 12:07 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Based on your description, you may really enjoy Japanese beer. Try Sapporo, Asahi, or Kirin Ichiban and you won't be disappointed.

[/ QUOTE ]

My friend has been trying to get me to drink Sapporo, but I recall drinking it when I was like 16/17 and the stuff was way too skunky for me then.

I might have had a horrible palate for good beer though, b/c my main drink of choice at that time was the ol' 40oz with the boys.

I'll probably try that soon though. Thanks.

Broderick C. 08-12-2007 12:15 AM

The newish miller chill is way better than I would have expected

Badger 08-12-2007 12:21 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Raison d'Etre

[/ QUOTE ]
Great choice.
Dogfish Head is one of my favorite breweries.

You might want to try a white beer, or a wheat beer. These are fairly drinkable beers. Blue Moon is a decent example of a white beer, and it's stocked everywhere as it's made by Molson/Coors.
There's a decent chance they'll have Leinenkugel's Sunset Wheat which you might like, but is kinda sweet. YOu might want to try some Hefeweizens as well. (unfiltered wheat beer)

A lot of the Mexican Pilsner's are very drinkable. Corona, Pacifico, Dos Equis, etc. I don't drink them very much, but they are popular for a reason.

Anyways, you're probably gone and back from the store already. Enjoy your beer.

PocketZeros 08-12-2007 12:39 AM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

omg you can't be serious, i can barely finish a bottle of that stuff!

pookvis 08-12-2007 12:54 AM

The delirium tremens is much better than the nocternal especially from the bottle. If you're going to go with a trappist and you want smooth and not as intense I'd go with a westmalle.

I liked mythos a lot but I've only found it in greece. if you have a very wild selection try the belgian beer "palm." From what you describe of what you want its perfect for you.

LetItBe 08-12-2007 12:55 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Excellent Microbrewery Selections made by New Glarus Brewing Co:

Spotted Cow.
Fat Squirrel.

Gogog!

[/ QUOTE ]

[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]

Can't find it out in CO though [img]/images/graemlins/mad.gif[/img]

mrh86 08-12-2007 01:17 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Coors Light

[/ QUOTE ]

QFMFT

Jdanz 08-12-2007 01:19 AM

I really like raison d'etre. It might be a little sweet.

AtlBrvs4Life 08-12-2007 01:34 AM

www.ratebeer.com

tagtastic 08-12-2007 02:05 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

omg you can't be serious, i can barely finish a bottle of that stuff!

[/ QUOTE ]

Agree. I bought some of this stuff a few weeks ago and it's still sitting here. I tried unsuccessfully to give it away to friends last weekend.

I thought it'd be decent, like adding a lime to a Corona or something. Wrong. It tastes like a lime wine cooler with a splash of beer.

kkcountry 08-12-2007 03:19 AM

[ QUOTE ]
It tastes like a lime wine cooler with a splash of beer.

[/ QUOTE ]

DING! DING! DING! we have a winner!

My brother is a bartender and says that skirts have been the only people to order a second one of those chills.

Jzo19 08-12-2007 03:21 AM

grolsch ftw ,, and i second the 40oz of mickey's

pmuir10 08-12-2007 03:30 AM

[ QUOTE ]

http://img329.imageshack.us/img329/8...callogobg7.jpg

[/ QUOTE ]

ohh hells yeah