Two Plus Two Newer Archives

Two Plus Two Newer Archives (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/index.php)
-   Micro Stakes Limit (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/forumdisplay.php?f=37)
-   -   A 99 hand (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/showthread.php?t=475090)

Fantam 08-11-2007 03:31 PM

A 99 hand

Table seemed a bit tight, with no one really seeming to get out of line. Having said that, weak hands were sometimes shown down.

PokerStars 0.50/1.00 Hold'em (8 handed) Hand History Converter Tool from FlopTurnRiver.com (Format: 2+2 Forums)

Preflop: Hero is CO with 9[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], 9[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img].
UTG calls, <font color="#666666">3 folds</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises</font>, <font color="#666666">2 folds</font>, BB calls, UTG calls.

Flop: (6.50 SB) 3[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], 3[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], J[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(3 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">BB bets</font>, UTG folds, Hero calls.

Turn: (4.25 BB) 7[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">BB bets</font>, Hero calls.

River: (6.25 BB) 5[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>

BB checks, Hero ???

Final Pot: 6.25 BB

The board seemed dry, and I called the flop and turn, in case I had the best hand. Value bet river when checked to ?

Aaron W. 08-11-2007 03:40 PM

Re: A 99 hand

I would probably just check. If he was bluffing, he's not calling; if he was value betting a J and got scared, he's not folding.

NIX 08-11-2007 04:04 PM

I check for all the reasons Aaron said.

Shillx 08-11-2007 04:08 PM

I'd bet. A lot of his good hands go out the window when he checks the river.

Niediam 08-11-2007 04:31 PM

I bet because he mostly likely has a small/medium pocket pair and will pay you off.

LoNeLyAcEs 08-11-2007 05:17 PM

R/F the turn, check the river

as played bet the river, unless opponent is known to be tricky

Aaron W. 08-11-2007 05:35 PM

[ QUOTE ]
R/F the turn

[/ QUOTE ]

What does this accomplish?

LoNeLyAcEs 08-11-2007 05:49 PM

it's going to be 2 bets anyway so why not try a free showdown + fold equity, i would't want any overcards drawing here a KQ may fold and also any unpaired Kx,Ax maybe he called with TT and folds (although very unlikely) if villain 3 bets he likely has AJ or smth

HouseCalls 08-11-2007 05:56 PM

I can't see raising the turn but I have to admit my first thought was to raise the flop after the donk bet.

I think this is probably a pretty big leak in my game.

I've been reading stox book and it talks about c-betting neatly 100% of the time after you raise PF and get HU. He definitely puts a lot of emphasis on keeping the lead when possible.

I'm not sure how this applies when someone donks into me after a raise.

Any general rules on this situation when you raise PF and have a marginal hand post flop and face a donk bet?

Seems like against aggressive players this may become a WA/WB situation?

What about against passives?

This may be too general a question but the hand here is pretty close to ones I've been spewing with. If it is too general I'm sure I can post some others [img]/images/graemlins/frown.gif[/img]

Fadook 08-11-2007 06:37 PM

[ QUOTE ]
it's going to be 2 bets anyway so why not try a free showdown + fold equity, i would't want any overcards drawing here a KQ may fold and also any unpaired Kx,Ax maybe he called with TT and folds (although very unlikely) if villain 3 bets he likely has AJ or smth

[/ QUOTE ]

I took yet another read over the Free Showdown Play section in Stox's book, and this spot does seem to fulfill several of his conditions for making it. Villain may well be bluffing with 6 outs, and if we're behind, we don't have many outs and can fold to a 3-bet. I'd typically call, but there could be a case for raising.

EDIT: We also make an extra bet the times he does have overcards, calls anyway, and misses on the river.

Niediam 08-11-2007 07:18 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I took yet another read over the Free Showdown Play section in Stox's book, and this spot does seem to fulfill several of his conditions for making it. Villain may well be bluffing with 6 outs, and if we're behind, we don't have many outs and can fold to a 3-bet. I'd typically call, but there could be a case for raising.

EDIT: We also make an extra bet the times he does have overcards, calls anyway, and misses on the river.

[/ QUOTE ]

It really depends on what hands villian is donking with. Against an unknown I'm thinking it's much more likely this is a made marginal hand than something like KQ. But if a large part of villians range is two overs (and I think two is important here - if villian is only betting a three out hand like A2 it's probably higher EV to just let him bluff) then I like the free showdown raise.

Fadook 08-11-2007 07:38 PM

Overall I agree. OP said the table was tightish, so a J is fairly likely. I'd need to have a read that this was the kinda guy who likes to bluff paired boards to raise the turn.

Christian_Peters 08-11-2007 07:54 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Or spew an extra bet when villain has a scared J.

Christian_Peters 08-11-2007 07:56 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm not familiar with "Stox's book", but just from what your saying, it probably sucks. A villain's numbers would have to be pretty coincidental for a raise on this turn to be correct. Specifically, he would need to have high aggression, a tendency to donk a lot, and high showdown numbers. Against the vast majority of villains, raising this turn is incredible stupid.

Maxinho 08-11-2007 07:57 PM

I check, but plz r/f the turn

Christian_Peters 08-11-2007 08:08 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Overall I agree. OP said the table was tightish, so a J is fairly likely. I'd need to have a read that this was the kinda guy who likes to bluff paired boards to raise the turn.

[/ QUOTE ]

But you see, **even** if villain was the type who likes to bluff paired boards, raising would probably not be correct. I won't talk a lot about WA/WB situations because there's a search function on this site, but suffice it to say that:
- this is a textbook WA/WB

- if he's bluffing, why do you want him to stop?

- if he's not bluffing, why do you want to give him more money (i.e. he checks the river, just like he did in this hand - now you're the one who can decide to value bet or take a free showdown)? **or** give him the same amount of money and not see a showdown (i.e. he 3's it).

Christian_Peters 08-11-2007 08:12 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

lol.

Clearly, a pooh-bah needs to write an essay on WA/WB.

Aaron W. 08-11-2007 08:15 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

"It's going to be 2 bets anyway" isn't an argument. You have to tell me why the raise/fold line is BETTER than the call/call line.

If it's going to be two bets anyway, why would you want Ax/Kx to fold by raising the turn? Because then it's not two bets anymore and you miss out value from worse hands.

This sounds like you're trying to make a play for the sake of making a play.

Christian_Peters 08-11-2007 08:15 PM

The decision of whether or not to bet the river seems like a pretty straightforward exercise in combinatorics.

LoNeLyAcEs 08-11-2007 08:37 PM

possible holdings of BB could be: AQ, AJ, KQ, KJ, QJ, J8s+

I think this are reasonable holdings for BB...

AJ: could 3-bet or donk the river, in both cases it's a fold
KJ,QJ: may be scared fearing AJ and simply call/check
JT-J8s: unlikely that this hands will fold but still it's worth a shot in this big pot
AQ,KQ: if you simply call here you give these hands a free shot at this big pot, the turn raise would protect the pot from these hands

there is only 1 scenario there you don't have the best of it not R/F this turn, if BB holds AJ, of course everything might change if there is a read on the opponent...

sharpie 08-11-2007 08:38 PM

[ QUOTE ]
The decision of whether or not to bet the river seems like a pretty straightforward exercise in combinatorics.

[/ QUOTE ]

It's a bit more complicated than that since we don't have a good idea what an unknown donk/donk/checks with on this board, and whether he'll payoff with A high or get scared on the river for no reason with a better hand.

I like a bet, though, he'd have to be a big puss to hold a jack here.

Aaron W. 08-11-2007 09:01 PM

[ QUOTE ]
possible holdings of BB could be: AQ, AJ, KQ, KJ, QJ, J8s+

[/ QUOTE ]

I find it incredibly odd that you think villain will bet AQ but not bet 88 and other pocket pairs.

Fadook 08-11-2007 09:15 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

But you see, **even** if villain was the type who likes to bluff paired boards, raising would probably not be correct. I won't talk a lot about WA/WB situations because there's a search function on this site, but suffice it to say that:
- this is a textbook WA/WB

- if he's bluffing, why do you want him to stop?

- if he's not bluffing, why do you want to give him more money (i.e. he checks the river, just like he did in this hand - now you're the one who can decide to value bet or take a free showdown)? **or** give him the same amount of money and not see a showdown (i.e. he 3's it).

[/ QUOTE ]

You don't play shorthanded much, do you? [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img] There are a lot of guys in those games who'll show bizarre aggro on a paired board, and given that full-ring games have also got more aggressive, I suspect that there are similar players there too. It would be no bad thing if he folded if he had 6 outs against us. In this situation though, we have a player who we think is tightish, a J on the board, and a fairly high pocket pair which somewhat decreases the number of two overcard combinations he could have. But IMHO, assuming that only a small minority of players would play like this with OCs is wrong.

LoNeLyAcEs 08-11-2007 09:17 PM

33,77 -&gt; 3-bet -&gt; fold
TT unlikely he has it, not likely he folds it but adds a bit to the folding equity and will likely C/C
88 may fold, but also may call the turn raise

I still would like to raise the turn, because villain might call the turn raise with 88 making a big mistake, if the pot was smaller i'd prefer to C/C...

however the more i think about this hand the more it's becoming a very thin descision between R/F and C/C, i don't think the EV between both lines differs a lot, and it's not a classical WA/WB situation because the 99 is vulnurable to overcards...

Xhad 08-11-2007 09:32 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

lol.

[/ QUOTE ]

There have been a few, and clearly you should read them as this isn't WA/WB.

Christian_Peters 08-11-2007 10:36 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

lol.

[/ QUOTE ]

There have been a few, and clearly you should read them as this isn't WA/WB.

[/ QUOTE ]

yeah, i know there have been a few. stupid comment. as per the hand.

Ok, I'm going to get super nitty, so bear with me. Let's see, from the flop, if we are behind, we have 2 outs - so, I'm pretty certain the "WB" part of the WA/WB is correct. Now, I believe that this line by villain is almost always, like 95%+, either a Jack, or another PP. If it's a jack, we are WB. If it's another PP, we are either WA or WB. Am I missing something here? How often does an this line mean random wiffed big cards: AT, AQ, KQ? In this case I suppose it's not WA/WB.

Niediam 08-12-2007 12:06 AM

This isn't WA/WB because villian could easily have two overs.

Buzz-cp 08-12-2007 12:35 AM

I tend to just get to showdown when they donk, just to see why they donk. Also I will be paying attention to this one vs other opponents.

Aaron W. 08-12-2007 05:21 AM

What about this hand makes it appear that villain has AT, AQ, AK, KQ, KT, or QT?

OziBattler 08-12-2007 06:26 AM

[ QUOTE ]
This isn't WA/WB because villian could easily have two overs.

[/ QUOTE ]

word. WA/WB is an overused term and often used when hero has few outs and villian has many.

[ QUOTE ]
have to admit my first thought was to raise the flop after the donk bet because this can be overcard(s)

[/ QUOTE ]
guilty as charged [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

Sushiglutton 08-12-2007 07:08 AM

Raising the turn is an option. I think u should value-bet. Could be a smaller PP or a bluff that backed into a pair and now prefer to show down.

Sushiglutton 08-12-2007 07:35 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Raising the turn is an option. I think u should value-bet. Could be a smaller PP or a bluff that backed into a pair and now prefer to show down.

[/ QUOTE ]

It seems like some highly respected posters don't want to raise this turn. Is it correct that our hand is too good to raise? Meaning if villain is bluffing he likely holds only one OC. The raise would be a better play with 44?

Even if villain holds only one OC a raise may be good, if we think he will give up a bluff on the river?

Aaron W. 08-12-2007 12:55 PM

[ QUOTE ]
It seems like some highly respected posters don't want to raise this turn. Is it correct that our hand is too good to raise? Meaning if villain is bluffing he likely holds only one OC. The raise would be a better play with 44?

[/ QUOTE ]

Yes.

[ QUOTE ]
Even if villain holds only one OC a raise may be good, if we think he will give up a bluff on the river?

[/ QUOTE ]

If you think that is the case, then yes.

Villain in this case is pretty much an unknown, which means that I would rather take a passive line against his aggression than to out aggro the aggressor. Hero's hand has decent showdown value, so I would play to take it to showdown.

To contrast, the 44 hand has less showdown value, so I don't mind taking a folding line.

TarHeel100 08-12-2007 05:20 PM

Well, it looks like he was most likely bluffing the flop and turn so he probably had nothing. And if he was bluffing then he won't call your river bet.

If he is laying a trap for you, then you lose at least 1 bet and possibly 2 if you want to see what he has, so I just check behind here as I don't see how betting is +EV.