Two Plus Two Newer Archives

Two Plus Two Newer Archives (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/index.php)
-   Other Other Topics (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/forumdisplay.php?f=36)
-   -   Favorite Uncomfortable Sports Broadcasting Moments (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/showthread.php?t=475051)

EL Burro Loco 08-11-2007 02:08 PM

Favorite Uncomfortable Sports Broadcasting Moments

For instance... Joe Namath drunkenly hitting on Suzy Kolber, or Rush Limbaugh making racially motivated remarks on an ESPN sportscenter...

My favorite... last year Seahawks Vs Packers on Monday night football. Jimmy Kimmel makes an appearance in the booth and the first thing he says to Joe Theisman is, "Hey Joe, hows the leg?" I hate Theisman and you could tell he was steaming as he tried to play it off through a fake smile and joke, but kept mentioning it randomly throughout the broadcast.

72off 08-11-2007 02:16 PM

Re: Favorite Uncomfortable Sports Broadcasting Moments

Couldn't find it on Youtube for some reason:

Marino/Boomer

It's funny how tries not to seem upset at first, and the look on his face at the end is priceless.

Autocratic 08-11-2007 02:20 PM

That's kinda gay...

Homer 08-11-2007 02:22 PM

One time John Madden was talking about different length cleats and said 1/2" [censored] instead of 1/2" cleat. There was silence for a few seconds after that.

Blarg 08-11-2007 02:23 PM

An old classic favorite was Muhammad Ali sweeping the toupe off Howard Cosell's head, and Howard later telling him, How could you do that? I just don't understand how you could do that to anybody, especially a friend. Muhammad wound up showing some class and apologizing; he didn't really realize how badly he had shamed Cosell and hurt his feelings.

MuresanForMVP 08-11-2007 02:24 PM

[ QUOTE ]
For instance... Joe Namath drunkenly hitting on Suzy Kolber, or Rush Limbaugh making racially motivated remarks on an ESPN sportscenter...

My favorite... last year Seahawks Vs Packers on Monday night football. Jimmy Kimmel makes an appearance in the booth and the first thing he says to Joe Theisman is, "Hey Joe, hows the leg?" I hate Theisman and you could tell he was steaming as he tried to play it off through a fake smile and joke, but kept mentioning it randomly throughout the broadcast.

[/ QUOTE ]

Man Theisman is horrible...but yea the joe namath video is obviously the winner here

Ra_ 08-11-2007 02:33 PM

I don't remember the exact race this was broadcast on but there was a pretty funny exchange between Jeff Hamond and Benny Parson during a nacar race. it went something like this

JH: Don' forget next week we'll be covering the race at Watkins Glen (one of the few road courses they run)

BP: That's right. Next week the drivers will have to be amphibious.

(long pause)

JH:Amphibious, why do you say that?

PB: You know they'll have to turn right and left.

(long pause then JH changes the subject )

GuyOnTilt 08-11-2007 02:35 PM

Dennis Leary and someone else doing a very drunk, very rofl guest appearance in the booth during a Red Sox broadcast.

Dennis Leary on Red Sox / Jews / Mel Gibson

MEL GIBSON!!! EAT YOUR HEART OUT!!!

MikeyPatriot 08-11-2007 02:53 PM

Marino screws up, freaks out

http://youtube.com/watch?v=qa9LNPwZIGA

ackid 08-11-2007 02:56 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Man Theisman is horrible...but yea the joe namath video is obviously the winner here

[/ QUOTE ]

Joe's just a happy guy.

guids 08-11-2007 03:03 PM

No way, I thought joe namath was awesome, even though wasted.

Boom. Goes. The. Dynamite. now that was uncomfortable.

Misfire 08-11-2007 03:03 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Rush Limbaugh making racially motivated remarks on an ESPN sportscenter...

[/ QUOTE ]

Anyone with an ounce of listening comprehension knows that Rush was accusing others in the media of being racially motivated. Michael Irvin even replied, "Rush has a point."

KUJustin 08-11-2007 03:07 PM

[ QUOTE ]
One time John Madden was talking about different length cleats and said 1/2" [censored] instead of 1/2" cleat. There was silence for a few seconds after that.

[/ QUOTE ]

Come on, help us out here.

1aguilas 08-11-2007 03:09 PM

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W45DRy7M1no

BOOM GOES THE DYNAMITE

Quicksilvre 08-11-2007 03:09 PM

"I can't believe he made a 720."

nath 08-11-2007 03:12 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Anyone with an ounce of listening comprehension knows that Rush was accusing others in the media of being racially motivated.

[/ QUOTE ]
And anyone with an ounce of common sense and perceptiveness knows he did that because Rush is too racist to comprehend a talented/successful black quarterback

kioshk 08-11-2007 03:13 PM

Marv Albert is interviewing Whitey Herzog during the mid-late 80s. Marv notes that both Whitey and Bart Giamatti had been mentioned as candidates for Baseball Commissioner, but Giamatti, the president of Yale at the time, had been chosen. Marv asks Whitey if Yale wants him to be their new president. Whitey, with a very serious expression, said, "I don't think that's very funny, Marv."

Case Closed 08-11-2007 03:13 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Anyone with an ounce of listening comprehension knows that Rush was accusing others in the media of being racially motivated. Michael Irvin even replied, "Rush has a point."

[/ QUOTE ]

Irvin agreeing with him takes away some legitimacy.

miajag 08-11-2007 03:15 PM

Anyone remember in the Oakland/NE playoff game in the snow when someone threw a snowball at Phil Simms and he completely freaked out?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fIsQckTZmH8

daryn 08-11-2007 03:19 PM

doesn't sound like a complete freak out to me

miajag 08-11-2007 03:20 PM

Yeah, not really as bad as I remember, still pretty funny though.

xxThe_Lebowskixx 08-11-2007 03:30 PM

I'm surprised no one has mentioned the time Bob Costas said "These spooks sure can jump", after he thought they had already cut to commercial.

bdk3clash 08-11-2007 03:33 PM

I'wasn't able to find any clips, but there were many memorable late 80s/early 90s Harry Carry/Steve Stone exchanges while calling Cubs games for WGN. Stone was (and is) a great play-by-play guy, and his attempts to keep the focus on the game during one of Caray's famous non-sequitirs (like how good the ribs he had last night for dinner were) during pivotal moments were classic.

From Wikipedia:
[ QUOTE ]
In 1987 the Cubs had Ryne Sandberg, Jim Sundberg, and Scott Sanderson on the roster. Caray often confused these names and it was not uncommon for him to refer to "Jim Sandberg", "Ryne Sanderson", or "Scott Sundberg."

[/ QUOTE ]

Misfire 08-11-2007 03:34 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Anyone with an ounce of listening comprehension knows that Rush was accusing others in the media of being racially motivated.

[/ QUOTE ]
And anyone with an ounce of common sense and perceptiveness knows he did that because Rush is too racist to comprehend a talented/successful black quarterback

[/ QUOTE ]

Or maybe McNabb wasn't performing too well around that time. Linky

udbrky 08-11-2007 03:55 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I'wasn't able to find any clips, but there were many memorable late 80s/early 90s Harry Carry/Steve Stone exchanges while calling Cubs games for WGN. Stone was (and is) a great play-by-play guy, and his attempts to keep the focus on the game during one of Caray's famous non-sequitirs (like how good the ribs he had last night for dinner were) during pivotal moments were classic.

From Wikipedia:
[ QUOTE ]
In 1987 the Cubs had Ryne Sandberg, Jim Sundberg, and Scott Sanderson on the roster. Caray often confused these names and it was not uncommon for him to refer to "Jim Sandberg", "Ryne Sanderson", or "Scott Sundberg."

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Haray Caray was the best at saying things that made no sense, or were uncomfortable.

"Asos, that's Sosa backwards!"

"Now up, Raphael Palermo"

I was convinced the Cubs traded Palmeiro because Haray couldn't pronounce his name.

I sure miss that guy.

TheNoodleMan 08-11-2007 03:56 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

From Wikipedia:
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Haray Caray was the best at saying things that made no sense, or were uncomfortable.

"Asos, that's Sosa backwards!"

"Now up, Raphael Palermo"

I was convinced the Cubs traded Palmeiro because Haray couldn't pronounce his name.

I sure miss that guy.

[/ QUOTE ]

They traded him because he [censored] Sandberg's wife.

TheNoodleMan 08-11-2007 03:58 PM

Majerus: Im not a big gay guy

Jack Bando 08-11-2007 03:59 PM

It was last year, I forget which Sunday Night Football game, but it was right after halftime fireworks in a dome and Al goes nuts screaming about how it's a fire hazard.

dlk9s 08-11-2007 03:59 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Nice. I had never seen that before and I was actually quite uncomfortable watching it.

The B 08-11-2007 04:11 PM

Billy Packer really [censored] out on that one...

drumroll please for Imus clip

MicroBob 08-11-2007 04:12 PM

Some of my favorite announcer screw-ups:

-- I believe it was a Phils/Cubs blow-out game in the 70's and the announcers are kind of bored and the cameras are scanning the stands a bit too. They pick-out this couple in the bleachers that is all lovey-dovey/making-out a bit.
So the announcers make various observations and jokes about them when one of the announcers unwisely points out, "I think I've spotted the pattern. He's kissing her on the strikes...and she's kissing him on the balls."

I've been unable to confirm the accuracy of this story or even what announcers were supposedly involved nor can I remember where I first heard it. Wouldn't surprise me at all if it was true though.

-- From the book 'Loose Balls, the Life and Times of the ABA' there's a story of Bob Costas and his first broadcast gig with the Spirit of St. Louis basketball team.
In their first ever game St. Louis has a 6 or 7 point lead with 1:00 left but they blow it and lose the game.
So the next night they again have a 7 point lead with 1:00 left and they call time-out at which point Costas says, "Obviously Coach Smith wants to talk to his team here because he doesn't want another blow-job like the one he had last night."

According to Costas in the book, he thought he was probably fired right there on the spot. But the engineer signalled to him to keep talking and somehow nothing came of it.

-- 1995 ESPN2 aired a number of minor-league baseball games and called them the Game of the Week or something.
Matt Vasgersian (now with the SD Padres and also NBC including Heads-Up Poker) and Steve Lyons were the announcers.
One game was Kane County vs. Battle Creek in the Midwest League. The Red Sox had a young prospect named Ethan Faggett with their Battle Creek affiliate whose last name is pronounced the same way as [censored].
A left-handed batter, Faggett pulled 3 straight hits into RF.
As they are observing this in the 8th inning, Faggett slaps it the opposite way into LF for his 4th hit of the game and Vasgersian says something like, "Faggett showing that he knows how to swing both ways" or something similarly awful.

I was watching that game but didn't watch up to the point that happened. Read about it in Baseball America a month later.

As I was watching it I was thinking, "Geez, I'm glad I don't have to call any games involving that player."
A year later I was in the Florida State League with the St. Lucie Mets and Ethan Faggett got promoted to the Sarasota Red Sox.
I ended up calling about 15 games in which he was playing.
Kind of awkward.

TheNoodleMan 08-11-2007 04:12 PM

Rick Sutcliffe drunk on the air

MicroBob 08-11-2007 04:32 PM

Also worth nominating is pretty much any time Joe Morgan speaks.

youtalkfunny 08-11-2007 04:59 PM

I would definitely call him "fa-GETT". Think "Forget" in a Boston accent.

All the heat Rush Limbaugh took over the McNabb thing was completely unwarranted. It's not racist to talk about race, and the role it plays in sports.

Autocratic 08-11-2007 05:12 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I would definitely call him "fa-GETT". Think "Forget" in a Boston accent.

All the heat Rush Limbaugh took over the McNabb thing was completely unwarranted. It's not racist to talk about race, and the role it plays in sports.

[/ QUOTE ]

Maybe so, but it seemed clear that he saw a chance to bring race into it where it really didn't belong and did it. Typical on his part. He basically chose one season where McNabb was not up to par and said he was just an average QB when most people knew that wasn't the case.

MicroBob 08-11-2007 05:14 PM

The P.A. Annoucer in Vero Beach tried to get away with calling him more like it was French. A cross between "Fa-JAY" and "Fa-SHAY" I guess.

Well, his Mom happened to be in the stands at that game and went up to the booth to cuss-out the announcer.
"You will say our name the way it is supposed to be said. It's FAGGETT dammit."

Later in 96 there was a friend of mine from a previous team who was on Sarasota so we were chatting and catching up.
I asked him about Ethan Faggett.
He told me that at the beginning of the season there is evidently one guy who makes the mistake of joking about his name and nobody makes that same mistake again.

He looked like a pretty tough and strong dude to me. And I suspect that with a name like Faggett you would almost HAVE to be tough in order to make it.

He was actually a pretty decent ball-player but his hitting struggled at the AA level where he only bat in the .240's for 3 seasons. He was on SD's spring-training big-league roster once or twice though and made it as high as AAA.

I think it would have been somewhat interesting if he had made it to the major-leagues.

Bluff Daddy 08-11-2007 05:40 PM

Jim Rome interviewing Jim Everett

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9HNgqQVHI_8

EL Burro Loco 08-11-2007 05:47 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Rush Limbaugh making racially motivated remarks on an ESPN sportscenter...

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Not the point... the point was when he said it you could feel the uncomfortable tension with the other broadcasters. Let's not make this into a Rush debate...

EL Burro Loco 08-11-2007 05:49 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Nice. I had never seen that before and I was actually quite uncomfortable watching it.

[/ QUOTE ]

Why did he freak out? Because he sort of bumbled a word? I kinda don't get why he snapped...

TheNoodleMan 08-11-2007 05:57 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Why did he freak out? Because he sort of bumbled a word? I kinda don't get why he snapped...

[/ QUOTE ]

That wasn't live, so I'm guessing he bumbled it multiple times before getting that upset.