Two Plus Two Newer Archives

Two Plus Two Newer Archives (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/index.php)
-   Golf (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/forumdisplay.php?f=95)
-   -   Which books have helped you out? (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/showthread.php?t=474534)

yellowdoyle 08-10-2007 08:06 PM

Which books have helped you out?

Being on the lower socio-economic scale of those who play golf, I do not get any live instruction. But, buying a paperback for 10-20 bucks is definitely in the price range.

So I recently bought Ben Hogan's 5 fundamentals, and I am now working on the grip chapter. It is very different than my own grip, so hopefully I can have some more consistent shots in the future.

But I digress. From Amazon it appears that another highly reviewed book is Ernest Jones Swing the Clubhead. So are there any other suggestions out there from the 2p2 masses? If so, lets hear them.

thisnamedoesntfi 08-10-2007 08:30 PM

Re: Which books have helped you out?

I highly recommend this book, before reading any instructional ones.
http://www.amazon.com/Inner-Game-Golf-Ti...980&sr=1-46

I have a well worn copy, I first read it as a fifteen yr old, I still read chapters in it whenever I go to a tour school or a tournament. It has also helped me become a better instructor for my students.

Butcho22 08-10-2007 09:39 PM

Tiger Woods: How I Play Golf

Nomar 08-10-2007 10:12 PM

golf is not a game of perfect

RacersEdge 08-11-2007 01:38 AM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Yes, this book is good - great photography too - my golf instructor used it during the lesson.

Ribsauce 08-11-2007 02:45 AM

yellow, I learned how to grip the club using nothing but that hogan book. Now if I can just master lessons 2 through 5 .....

[img]/images/graemlins/frown.gif[/img]

Equal 08-11-2007 03:32 AM

Short Game Bible by Pelz is the BEST book by far.

Shoot59 08-11-2007 09:04 AM

I have read a ton, here are some that are helpful in addition to those already posted:

-Fault and Fixes - David Leadbetter
-The Art of Putting, and the Art of the Short Game - Stan Utley
-The Golfer's Mind: Play to Play Great - Bob Rotella

black knight 08-11-2007 12:08 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Agree...and the putting bible is amazing for learning how to read greens.

bonds 08-11-2007 02:28 PM

[ QUOTE ]
the Art of the Short Game - Stan Utley

[/ QUOTE ]

I read this one the other day - got a copy from the library. Tried a few things today and was very pleased with the results. I think I'm going to buy a copy.

I have Pelz's Short Game Bible and while it makes a lot of sense I've never spent enough time practicing to really "get it".

4Tay 08-11-2007 08:44 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Fault and Fixes - David Leadbetter

[/ QUOTE ]

For me, this is my golf bible.

rianb 08-12-2007 01:24 AM

"the golfer's mind"

Bob Rotella.

Absolutely awesome book. high handicap golfers, [censored] all golfers, don't realize how many strokes they're leaving out on the course thanks to bad thinking.

Weir 08-12-2007 03:01 AM

http://ec1.images-amazon.com/images/...A240_SH20_.jpg

this and tiger's book

yellowdoyle 08-12-2007 04:17 AM

[ QUOTE ]
yellow, I learned how to grip the club using nothing but that hogan book. Now if I can just master lessons 2 through 5 .....

[img]/images/graemlins/frown.gif[/img]

[/ QUOTE ]

I am working on the grip right now. I don't want to get too far ahead without practicing like Hogan recommends, but I have skimmed the next couple pages.

Reading the reviews on Amazon about this book....wow, they were amazing. I know it is a biased sample because usually those who actually had success with it will be motivated to post a review, but still I was enthused about it. I look forward to reading the next couple chapters and working on the other four fundamentals.

HDPM 08-13-2007 05:12 PM

If you are interested in the Ernest Jones book I would strongly recommend you get Manuel DelaTorre's book "Understanding the Golf Swing." It is based on Ernest Jones's teaching and DelaTorre's father knew Jones. I think the DeLatorre book is better though, and there is also a DVD of it you can get if you like it. The Hogan book is a classic, but I don't think it is good in some ways. The grip section might be the best part. I think if you had to learn only from a book and got 1000 new players to try each, the Hogan book would lead to frustration and th Delatorre book would have people swinging it, on average, somewhat better. If you read and try both I think you will end up doing more of the DeLa Torre stuff. Somewhat tough to just learn from a book though.

knicknut 08-13-2007 08:10 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
seconded

Butcho22 08-13-2007 08:31 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Yes, this book is good - great photography too - my golf instructor used it during the lesson.

[/ QUOTE ]

That's one of the key things that make this a must read for any golfer looking to improve.
There's a pictures on every page, and full sections of pages with swing sequences close up.

I started out with the Hogan book myself. I remember I used to take notes from in during class in high school. It's a good book, no doubt.

Really, I don't think there is a golf book out there that won't help at least one person improve. It's just a matter of reading one that allows you to understand it, and apply it properly. The pictures in Tiger's book really helped me.

As far as the Pelz book goes, I've never read it. But if it's anything like his half hour long shows on the golf channel, keep it. For myself, he just makes things way too complicated. To each his own. I'm sure there's some good stuff in there.

CrazyEyez 08-14-2007 12:04 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
seconded

[/ QUOTE ]
Prior to this year I was HORRIBLE with less-than-100% wedges. I dreaded them because I so rarely made solid contact. I picked up that book, and it totally changed me, practically overnight. Not that I have my distance dialed in by any means, but I make consistent contact and ball flight virtually every time. I absolutely love hitting these shots now.

ghostface 08-14-2007 01:04 AM

i got the pelz books for my dad when i started teaching him but have never looked in them. i have a little natural talent for short game i guess and ive played a ton over the last 7 years so i dont feel like overcomplicating things will help me.

stadler 08-14-2007 11:56 PM

[ QUOTE ]

-The Golfer's Mind: Play to Play Great - Bob Rotella

[/ QUOTE ]
I have read this as well. I have never read any instructional books but have read a few books on the mental aspect of the game. This book was what really helped my mental game in tournament play. I think it would be beneficial to any player as it helps them understand how your thoughts on the golf course can influence your play.

jwg152 08-15-2007 07:34 PM

I would be very careful with Hogan's five fundamentals. It really should have been entitled: "How not to hit a hook." Although Hogan was arguably the best ball striker ever, I do not believe that average golfers should try to emulate his swing since so many of his positions and motions are based on trying to prevent a hook - a problem the average golfer would love to have. I think that if you consistently slice the ball, I would read other books.

black knight 08-15-2007 08:32 PM

And don't forget that our understanding of human kinetics AND improvements in equipment make a lot of how the super old school guys played the game nearly irrelevant. I think it'd be a pretty safe bet that had Hogan lived now, there's no way he'd swing like he did.

thisnamedoesntfi 08-16-2007 04:55 AM

[ QUOTE ]
And don't forget that our understanding of human kinetics AND improvements in equipment make a lot of how the super old school guys played the game nearly irrelevant. I think it'd be a pretty safe bet that had Hogan lived now, there's no way he'd swing like he did.

[/ QUOTE ]

That is such BS. Hogan knew more about how to hit a golf ball than anyone ever has /story.

yellowdoyle 08-18-2007 06:03 AM

JWG and black knight,

My first two trips to various courses since reading the book have been good. I have made some nice drives, and I felt I knew why I did them - because I followed the grip and stance outlined by Hogan. The other two chapters, on backswing and downswing, I read but did not do all of the practice exercises. It seemed I "naturally" swung the way he described anyways, and I now had the right set up to go with it.

I can't believe how unimportant I thought stance was before I read this book. Now when I hit a nice straight drive, or a nice iron shot that actually has some loft (my old iron shots were like line drives frequently), I get very excited cause I feel I have a decent shot of repeating that swing and becoming consistent.

I recently shot a +12 on the back nine of a course I play, which is good for me. And the thing was I didn't attribute it to "running good", but rather that I just had a decent foundation to work with.

JTrout 08-18-2007 09:48 AM

There are tons of great golf books. I've gotten something from every book I've read.
Some of my favorites:

The Natural Golf Swing by George Knudson

How to Perfect Your Golf Swing by Jimmy Ballard

On Learning Golf by Percy Boomer

Steve Elkington's Five Fundamentals of Golf

How to Play Your Best Golf All the Time by Tommy Armour

Learning Golf by Chuck Hogan

Practical Golf by John Jacobs

The Little Red Book by Harvey Penick

JTrout 08-18-2007 10:12 AM

[ QUOTE ]
If you are interested in the Ernest Jones book I would strongly recommend you get Manuel DelaTorre's book "Understanding the Golf Swing." It is based on Ernest Jones's teaching and DelaTorre's father knew Jones. I think the DeLatorre book is better though, and there is also a DVD of it you can get if you like it. The Hogan book is a classic, but I don't think it is good in some ways. The grip section might be the best part. I think if you had to learn only from a book and got 1000 new players to try each, the Hogan book would lead to frustration and th Delatorre book would have people swinging it, on average, somewhat better. If you read and try both I think you will end up doing more of the DeLa Torre stuff. Somewhat tough to just learn from a book though.

[/ QUOTE ]

I just ordered the Dela Torre book and Jones' book.
I look forward to the read.
Passed on the DVD, the reviews weren't kind [img]/images/graemlins/tongue.gif[/img]