Two Plus Two Newer Archives

Two Plus Two Newer Archives (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/index.php)
-   Other Other Topics (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/forumdisplay.php?f=36)
-   -   The [censored] is with my pool? Elec engineers pls! (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/showthread.php?t=473775)

Anacardo 08-09-2007 10:21 PM

The [censored] is with my pool? Elec engineers pls!

So I'm back in TX helping my mom move house. There's a pool in the back yard, ~20 years old, full-size, below ground. Some years ago I noticed that there was something leaking current into the water from the light on the deep end; if you get your head next to the light when it's on (since disconnected, obv), you see stars and taste metal. Just the other day I noticed the handrail is also running a mild current; if you get your hand wet, then grab it, your hand and forearm tingle with the slight shock. It's intermittent, though; sometimes there's no detectable charge. WTF could be causing this? Seems like something we might want to clear up before the sale.

XXXNoahXXX 08-09-2007 10:23 PM

Re: The [censored] is with my pool? Elec engineers pls!

this seems like fun, why fix it?

For Sale: TX house with built in pool o' fun.

The Yugoslavian 08-09-2007 10:24 PM

I think you need to just take a sip of the kool-aid and learn pick up. This will all work itself out.

Yugoslav

Anacardo 08-09-2007 10:30 PM

[ QUOTE ]
this seems like fun, why fix it?

For Sale: TX house with built in pool o' fun.

[/ QUOTE ]

I thought the light thing was kinda cool when I found it, but my mother was, of course, horrified.

Anacardo 08-09-2007 10:31 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I think you need to just take a sip of the kool-aid and learn pick up. This will all work itself out.

Yugoslav

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah, glad we could get that out of the way...

Klompy 08-09-2007 10:38 PM

Does the family that's moving in look like this?

http://img45.imageshack.us/img45/9928/500xh6.jpg

Anacardo 08-09-2007 10:49 PM

Married couple; the dude is a silvery-haired Hispanic gentleman. I'm not hip to your reference.

Klompy 08-09-2007 10:52 PM

sorry, it's the best pic I could find for the actual family but it's a reference to syriana, in which a kid dies because light shorts out in the pool.

Borodog 08-09-2007 10:52 PM

Do you have a shed/workshop/detached garage/anything connected to the main house with underground power?

ncboiler 08-09-2007 10:58 PM

Don't fix it and and don't worry about it.

Anacardo 08-09-2007 11:17 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Do you have a shed/workshop/detached garage/anything connected to the main house with underground power?

[/ QUOTE ]

There's an outlet on the deck.

Borodog 08-09-2007 11:18 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Does the cable go underground anywhere?

ncboiler 08-09-2007 11:20 PM

If you really want to get it fixed just call an electrician. You don't need an Electrical Engineer for this.

Anacardo 08-09-2007 11:22 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I'll get back to you on that.

wet work 08-09-2007 11:23 PM

LOL @ needing an electrical engineer. I'm pretty sure ANY competent electrician could diagnose and fix this. Probably something you should get checked out and fixed. If I was buying a house with a pool I'd make sure the home inspector had a look at it.

IggyWH 08-09-2007 11:25 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I'll get back to you on that.

[/ QUOTE ]

How come I have the feeling that you'll be tasting metal and seeing stars very soon?

AquaSwing 08-09-2007 11:30 PM

[ QUOTE ]
If you really want to get it fixed just call an electrician. You don't need an Electrical Engineer for this.

[/ QUOTE ]
In fact, an electrical engineer is the last person you want trying to figure this out. One thing people don't know about EE's is they didn't learn crap about house wiring in school. They sure can tell you the about field created by the magnet in the speaker and why it hoses the TV picture when put next to it, but when it comes to practical crap like what color the hot wire is in a house, they're lost.

ncboiler 08-09-2007 11:34 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
In fact, an electrical engineer is the last person you want trying to figure this out. One thing people don't know about EE's is they didn't learn crap about house wiring in school. They sure can tell you the about field created by the magnet in the speaker and why it hoses the TV picture when put next to it, but when it comes to practical crap like what color the hot wire is in a house, they're lost.

[/ QUOTE ]

This is not true at all. An EE may have some fun and monster house the fix but he or she would fix it and have no problem doing so. I would venture to say that on the list of people you want to fix it EE's are above Walmart cashiers and decrepit, schitzo, cleaning ladies. They are far from the last person you would want.

highhustla 08-09-2007 11:37 PM

ahahaahah the last 2 replies are very goot

ncboiler 08-09-2007 11:40 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't think you understood my point.

TimM 08-09-2007 11:40 PM

Sounds like the pool is not properly grounded.

Link

You should get an electrician to bring it in compliance with local electrical codes at least.

highhustla 08-10-2007 12:31 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't think you understood my point.

[/ QUOTE ]

I have EE degree. I get it. The guy making fun of EE's is also funny, cuz [censored], c'mon. Without his post you couldn't have served this up:

[ QUOTE ]
I would venture to say that on the list of people you want to fix it EE's are above Walmart cashiers and decrepit, schitzo, cleaning ladies.

[/ QUOTE ]

LOLZ. You're both right--his hyperbole is just misplaced.

gumpzilla 08-10-2007 09:57 AM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

But it's on the ground, right? Right?

AquaSwing 08-10-2007 10:16 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I have EE degree. I get it. The guy making fun of EE's is also funny, cuz [censored], c'mon. Without his post you couldn't have served this up:

[ QUOTE ]
I would venture to say that on the list of people you want to fix it EE's are above Walmart cashiers and decrepit, schitzo, cleaning ladies.

[/ QUOTE ]

LOLZ. You're both right--his hyperbole is just misplaced.

[/ QUOTE ]

I have an EE degreee as well and of my 34 graduating classmates exactly zero had any practical real world knowledge of electricity which in my mind, makes them as dangerous as your cashiers and cleaning ladies! In fact, I'd go so far as to say the cashier and cleaning lady may be at an advantage since the EE has spent most of his dorky life watching Star Trek and playing with his wookie and not worrying about why the pool tastes funny with the lights on.

To get back to OP, call an electrician and he'll tell you the pool isn't grounded properly and then he'll spend hours tracking it down.

ronmacdonald 08-10-2007 10:33 AM

how old is this pool.i had a similar problem.my pool was 15 years old and the wiring was sub standard.today poool lighht s have to be connected to a gfi box.basically any short blows a fuse imediately.electrician is about 150 and the gfi could run you about 350-400.

Dids 08-10-2007 10:47 AM

Is passing up an opportunity for free shock therapy really a wise choice at this venture?

sirtimo 08-10-2007 11:30 AM

http://img440.imageshack.us/img440/5149/dre0376lwv8.jpg

TimM 08-10-2007 11:36 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

But it's on the ground, right? Right?

[/ QUOTE ]

No, it's IN the ground!

szw 08-10-2007 11:36 AM

I laughed at this thread too. I have an EE degree and I'll humbly say i'm worthless at this stuff.

XXXNoahXXX 08-10-2007 12:29 PM

[ QUOTE ]
http://img440.imageshack.us/img440/5149/dre0376lwv8.jpg

[/ QUOTE ]

good thing they underlined the funny words or I wouldn't have gotten it!

these people need to contact garcia for lessons.

kidcolin 08-10-2007 12:46 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I can attest to this being correct, for the most part anyway. I can help you install a three way light switch for your stairway, but that's about it, and it'd take 10 times longer than a good electrician. An experienced electrician is a million times better in this spot.

The Farside 08-10-2007 01:44 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Is passing up an opportunity for free shock therapy really a wise choice at this venture?

[/ QUOTE ]

HAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHA
HAHHAHAHAHHAHAHA
HA
HAHAHAHAHAH
AA
HHAAHHAHHAHAHAAHA
AHAHAHAHAHAHAH
AAHAHAHAH
AHAHAHA
HA

HA

SimonBarSinister 08-10-2007 01:56 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Sounds like the pool is not properly grounded.[ QUOTE ]

This is definitely the problem. I have built inground pools for 19 years and this is a common problem. Call electrician, this is an easy fix.

jedi 08-10-2007 03:45 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I laughed at this thread too. I have an EE degree and I'll humbly say i'm worthless at this stuff.

[/ QUOTE ]

Me too. If you want me designing FPGAs though, I'm your man.

Anacardo 08-10-2007 03:57 PM

Are there any other EE majors that would like to randomly holla?

BearHustler 08-10-2007 04:04 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Are there any other EE majors that would like to randomly holla?

[/ QUOTE ]

Electromechanics. But holla anyway.

PS. the hot wire is red in my house

Quicksilvre 08-10-2007 04:11 PM

Aqua,

[ QUOTE ]
In fact, I'd go so far as to say the cashier and cleaning lady may be at an advantage since the EE has spent most of his dorky life watching Star Trek and playing with his wookie and not worrying about why the pool tastes funny with the lights on.

[/ QUOTE ]

Why the pool "tastes" funny??

Anacardo 08-10-2007 04:35 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Aqua,

[ QUOTE ]
In fact, I'd go so far as to say the cashier and cleaning lady may be at an advantage since the EE has spent most of his dorky life watching Star Trek and playing with his wookie and not worrying about why the pool tastes funny with the lights on.

[/ QUOTE ]

Why the pool "tastes" funny??

[/ QUOTE ]

Back when that light was still connected, if you got your head close to it when it was on, your whole mouth tasted of copper. Fun times!

ooinsight 08-10-2007 04:46 PM

My college roommate was just electrocuted to death a week ago as a result of something similar to this. Be careful

microbet 08-10-2007 05:07 PM

Don't touch the rail or go in the pool or sell the house until it's fixed.

Did you just get the tingle on the hand rail when you were all wet and standing on the wet ground (concrete?)?

Are you 100% sure the light is disconnected?

Get some wires and a voltmeter and check for voltage between the rail and the ground of you electrical system. (There will be either a grounding rod near your main panel or a wire (green or bare copper) connected to the cold water pipes or both)

If you don't get any voltage you might try turning on the pool pump and see if that changes anything. Any other electical equipment nearby? Maybe outdoor lights?

Wear shoes and stand on dry ground when you do any of this.

Or don't do it and call an electrician.