Two Plus Two Newer Archives

Two Plus Two Newer Archives (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/index.php)
-   Other Other Topics (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/forumdisplay.php?f=36)
-   -   Good movies that aren't extremely popular (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/showthread.php?t=467571)

aislephive 08-02-2007 02:26 PM

Good movies that aren\'t extremely popular

Looking for some good movies that aren't very well known, but not totally obscure either. Just something that you thought was pretty good that wasn't a box office smash or won a lot of awards etc. Also try to describe the movie in a paragraph or so without giving too much away but also letting me know if it's the kind of movie I'd even enjoy.

I'll start:

The Life of David Gale: Kevin Spacey stars as a death row inmate for the murder of one of his peers of an orginization that protests the death penality located in somewhere in the heart of Texas, I believe Wichita but don't quote me on that. A journalist and her colleague set out 3-4 days before he is scheduled to be executed and interview him on the events preceding his sentence. Lots of very great twists and turns in this movie and I've watched it several times now, definitely reccomend it.

secretprankster 08-02-2007 02:33 PM

Re: Good movies that aren\'t extremely popular

American History X is a very good one.

otnemem 08-02-2007 02:36 PM

I thought The Life of David Gale was more a pro-life propaganda piece than an actual film, but it was still entertaining.

There's a movie out now called This Is London. It's about skinheads in England during the Faulkands War in 1983. It was pretty good, and got great reviews, but of course most people here haven't heard of it.

Irreversible is a great, but brutal, French movie that most people in the U.S. haven't heard of. If you're not faint of heart, I recommend it.

Like 90% of my DVD collection is comprised of movies that aren't very popular, but of course now I can't think of any that aren't foreign.

EDIT: Another foreign one - Chopper, starring Eric Bana before he was famous. It's about Australia's most famous criminal. Another Australian one - Romper Stomper. Another skinhead movie, starring Russell Crowe before he was famous. That one's kind of brutal.

otnemem 08-02-2007 02:37 PM

[ QUOTE ]
American History X is a very good one.

[/ QUOTE ]
I would consider this movie popular.

mdeck 08-02-2007 02:39 PM

The Vanishing while older, is absolutely phenomenal if you like the mystery/thriller genre, and I don't think many people (in my experience) have seen it.

secretprankster 08-02-2007 02:42 PM

I recommend Arlington Road and The Rocketeer (love this movie for some reason). A 2+2er watched Arlington Road on my rec though and hated it so YMMV.

monkeyfightclub 08-02-2007 02:44 PM

[ QUOTE ]
The Vanishing while older, is absolutely phenomenal if you like the mystery/thriller genre, and I don't think many people (in my experience) have seen it.

[/ QUOTE ]

That's probably the first and only movie in my life where I caught myself yelling at the screen. I was at my house thankfully.

amplify 08-02-2007 02:45 PM

Drunken Master

mlagoo 08-02-2007 02:45 PM

The United States of Leland is one i saw recently that is pretty great. About a kid who murders a retarded child, and the families affected, and the life/psyche of the murderer.

There are a ton of movies like this that I like, most of them pretty depressing but also pretty poignant/powerful. Igby Goes Down is another one that comes to mind. Starring McCauley Culkin's little brother who comes from a very wealthy but disfunctional family, and at a young age elects to leave his home to live a quasi-bohemian life in the city.

bisonbison 08-02-2007 02:46 PM

Also, not good.

oddjob 08-02-2007 02:48 PM

[ QUOTE ]

Also, not good.

[/ QUOTE ]

i'm glad i'm not the only one, and i'm a huge fan of ed norton. we will get flamed for thinking this too.

a movie i really liked, that is not very well known, is a movie called safe men with sam rockwell.

Tryptamean 08-02-2007 02:50 PM

I watched Arlington Road on shrooms randomly.... it blew my [censored] mind, mang!

Saving Grace is good.

Shoe Lace 08-02-2007 02:52 PM

The Lives of Others

imdb's tagline is: Before the Fall of the Berlin Wall, East Germany's Secret Police Listened to Your Secrets.

Easily one of the better films I've seen this year.

TheNoodleMan 08-02-2007 02:56 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I thought The Life of David Gale was more a pro-life propaganda piece than an actual film, but it was still entertaining.

[/ QUOTE ]

Pro-life doesn't mean what you think it does.

chicken10der 08-02-2007 02:57 PM

11:14
[ QUOTE ]
Tells the seemingly random yet vitally connected story of a set of incidents that all converge one evening at 11:14pm. The story follows the chain of events of five different characters and five different storylines that all converge to tell the story of murder and deceit.

[/ QUOTE ]

Don't read the second IMDB plot outline - it gives away too much.

AceLuby 08-02-2007 02:58 PM

Running Scared

Most people I know haven't seen it and some of the parts in it are really [censored] up, but I really liked it.

suzzer99 08-02-2007 02:59 PM

The Talented Mr. Ripley - one of my favorite movies, although maybe too popular

Vanilla Sky - way underrated IMO - but you have to not be spoiled going in

Revenge (Costner) - fun guilty pleasure movie

Clay Pigeons and Return to Paradise - both really good movies that don't get much credit IMO

Tree's Lounge - awesome indy ish movie with Steve Buscemi

Permanent Midnight - another one of my favorites and possibly the only role Owen Wilson role that doesn't get on my nerves

Flirting with Disaster - funniest Ben Stiller movie next to Meet the Parents

Waiting for Guffman - by far the best of those movies IMO, and the least seen

govman6767 08-02-2007 03:00 PM

Any of the old charles band Full Moon movies

secretprankster 08-02-2007 03:00 PM

Safe Men is a good pick.

gisb0rne 08-02-2007 03:01 PM

NoPoHustler 08-02-2007 03:02 PM

Shakes The Clown starring Bobcat Goldthwait.

TheDudeAbides 08-02-2007 03:04 PM

Guffman is a great call. Not that mainstream and easily one of the funniest movies ever made.

Quicksilvre 08-02-2007 03:07 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I like Tim Krabbe (the author of the original book from which The Vanishing is based), though mostly for The Rider and his Chess Curiosities blog. I admit I've never seen The Vanishing myself.

I don't know how popular it was upon release, but I love All the President's Men, and it seems to have pretty much vanished from the radar screen.

Full-Metall 08-02-2007 03:09 PM

The City of Lost Children
Dark City

DrewDevil 08-02-2007 03:12 PM

Grand Canyon

otnemem 08-02-2007 03:15 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Pro-life doesn't mean what you think it does.

[/ QUOTE ]
Holy [censored], I don't know what I was thinking! Been a long day at work. I mean anti-death penalty, obv.

Don_Lapre 08-02-2007 03:17 PM

Box Full of Moonlight- Starring John Turturro and Sam Rockwell in a heartfelt comedy/drama.

The Machinist-Christian Bale as an insomnaic who hasn't slept for a year.

amplify 08-02-2007 03:22 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Shakes The Clown starring Bobcat Goldthwait.

[/ QUOTE ]
no

Thug Bubbles 08-02-2007 03:24 PM

Festen (English Title: The Celebration) is a remarkable film. The true example of how little money and tech you need to make a brilliant movie.

Do yourself a favor and don't read too much about it because there's not so much a twist, but a big plot point that is just amazing if you are watching the movie without knowing of it.

Basically the movie is about a rich family that is celebrating the fathers birthday, at the family Farmhouse mansion like they do every year; and every year the eldest son gives the same speech before dinner. This is the first birthday party after the suicide of one of the daughters. Everything goes as planned the son gives his speech. Instead of offering the same speech he holds up two envelopes, letting the father choose which speech to give. The father chooses, and the family is changed forever.

it's a foreign flick, but just superbly written, directed and acted. An absolute treat.

odellthurman 08-02-2007 03:25 PM

The Straight Story - http://www.metacritic.com/video/titl...raight%20story

Happiness - http://www.metacritic.com/video/titl...ss?q=happiness If you like this, also try Storytelling - http://www.metacritic.com/video/titl...q=storytelling

Big Night - http://www.metacritic.com/video/titl...?q=big%20night

Thirteen - http://www.metacritic.com/video/titl...003?q=thirteen

Ghost Dog: The Way of the Samurai - http://www.metacritic.com/video/titl...?q=ghost%20dog

Sexy Beast - http://www.metacritic.com/video/titl...q=sexy%20beast

Grosse Pointe Blank - http://www.metacritic.com/video/titl...pointe%20blank

Bob Roberts

Capturing the Friedmans - http://www.metacritic.com/video/titl...he%20friedmans

The Sweet Hereafter - http://www.metacritic.com/video/titl...et%20hereafter

Oliver Nipples 08-02-2007 03:26 PM

Off the top of my head, I have two

1. Employee of the Month- NOT the one with Dane Cook, Jessica Simpson, but the one with Matt Dillon, Christina Applegate, Steve Zahn and Jenna Fischer (Pam from the Office) playing a whore with the filthiest sexiest talk ever.

2. City of God.- Portugese, sort of popular for all the Oscar nods it got when releases. great movie. Great thread, I'll tackle it more when I get home from work.

AceLuby 08-02-2007 03:26 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Grand Canyon

[/ QUOTE ]

Very good movie that most people my age haven't seen (I'm 24)

pokerbobo 08-02-2007 03:30 PM

Hollywood Knights

Great comedy with Tony Danza, Michelle Pfieffer, Robert Wuhl, all before people knew thier names. About a 1950 car cruiser "gang" ....Came out in early 80s.

djk123 08-02-2007 03:36 PM

"Running Scared". This could be popular, but before I watched it on some movie channel at a hotel a few months ago I had never heard of it. It was one of the coolest movies I've ever seen.

Also, "Shade" is an awesome gambling/poker movie, but I never hear anyone talk about it.

NoPoHustler 08-02-2007 03:37 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Hollywood Knights

Great comedy with Tony Danza, Michelle Pfieffer, Robert Wuhl, all before people knew thier names. About a 1950 car cruiser "gang" ....Came out in early 80s.

[/ QUOTE ]

I love this movie.

otnemem 08-02-2007 03:38 PM

I will second Happiness, Storytelling and City of God. If you've never watched a Jim Jarmusch movie, watch Down By Law. It's awesome.

amplify 08-02-2007 03:39 PM

The Trial with Tony Perkins
King of Hearts (Roi de Coeur) with Alan Bates

Dilznoofus 08-02-2007 03:39 PM

I'm 27 and I remember watching Grand Canyon as a kid, but I remember almost nothing about the content.

It's not really obscure but I loved "Nodoby's Fool" (1994) starring Paul Newman. It was also Jessica Tandy's last movie.

grando 08-02-2007 03:40 PM

[ QUOTE ]
2. City of God.- Portugese, sort of popular for all the Oscar nods it got when releases. great movie. Great thread, I'll tackle it more when I get home from work.

[/ QUOTE ]

yep

NoPoHustler 08-02-2007 03:41 PM

A good older movie is Cool Hand Luke. Not enough people under 30 have seen it, I thinks.