Two Plus Two Newer Archives

Two Plus Two Newer Archives (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/index.php)
-   Sporting Events (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/forumdisplay.php?f=48)
-   -   KG traded to Celtics for Jefferson/othercrap (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/showthread.php?t=464988)

Popinjay 07-30-2007 09:09 PM

KG traded to Celtics for Jefferson/othercrap

Sources this morning are confirming that the Celtics’ deal for Kevin Garnett is essentially completed. One involved source said the final package will have the Celts sending Al Jefferson, Ryan Gomes, Gerald Green, Sebastian Telfair, Theo Ratliff and a No. 1 pick to Minnesota to acquire Garnett. Boston Herald

KG/Ray/Pierce = favorites to win the east, contenders for the championship.

MikeyPatriot 07-30-2007 09:13 PM

Re: KG traded to Celtics for Jefferson/othercrap

I'm not a basketball expert, but I can't believe KG makes the Celts favorites to win the east.

Popinjay 07-30-2007 09:15 PM

Three bonafide superstars. I don't care what they have at the other positions they're team is stacked now. What team has enough defense to stop KG in the post, Allen on the perimeter, and Pierce all over? The only thing is Doc Rivers. He's got to go. Horrible game coach.

benza13 07-30-2007 09:18 PM

Rivers is a huge liability and we still need a backup point guard. They aren't definitely the favorites, but they are definitely top 3 now.

kidcolin 07-30-2007 09:22 PM

glad to see we needed another thread for this. Didn't you notice the Celtics thread has been lingering at the top the page all day? I've notified Meb to hopefully lock this up. We should keep all the discussion in one place.

And Mikey, you are correct, you are no basketball expert [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]. That being said, the top 3-4 in the East are all pretty close.

NT! 07-30-2007 09:23 PM

depending on what the cavs do i think the celtics are the favorites to come out of the east, but not by a huge margin or anything. they really do need some help at the 1 as benza mentioned, and it's not like rondo is a guaranteed stud or anything as a starter.

and when i say they're the favorites, i may just be grossly underestimating the ability of doc rivers to [censored] everything up terribly

TheNoodleMan 07-30-2007 09:25 PM

[ QUOTE ]
glad to see we needed another thread for this. Didn't you notice the Celtics thread has been lingering at the top the page all day? I've notified Meb to hopefully lock this up. We should keep all the discussion in one place.

[/ QUOTE ]

Get over yourself. This is big enough news to warrant its own thread. Not everyone is in the habit of wading the the the Celtics thread and discussing every random schmuck in green.

battschr 07-30-2007 09:26 PM

The freaking CAVS won the East last season, I'd say the Celts are right there.

NozeCandy 07-30-2007 09:28 PM

Chauncey Billups is going for 32/16/25 this season. The Pistons got it.

MikeyPatriot 07-30-2007 09:29 PM

[ QUOTE ]

And Mikey, you are correct, you are no basketball expert [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]. That being said, the top 3-4 in the East are all pretty close.

[/ QUOTE ]

[img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

I guess I just am shocked that adding KG will add 30 wins to a team so automatically that people are calling them favorites. The East is far behind the West for sure, but it isn't completely devoid of solid teams (Chicago, Detroit, Cleveland).

Though I just looked at the standings for last year and I guess I underestimated just how poor the East is.

XXXNoahXXX 07-30-2007 09:36 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Get over yourself. This is big enough news to warrant its own thread. Not everyone is in the habit of wading the the the Celtics thread and discussing every random schmuck in green.

[/ QUOTE ]

yeah but the last 50 posts have all been on this exact topic.

tuq 07-30-2007 09:37 PM

Yeah this is definitely worthy of its own thread, people read them based on thread titles and "Celtics" isn't very helpful. That thread is fine for the homers.

Bummed for the Suns though, but at least the EC actually got better at the expense of the West for a change.

SL__72 07-30-2007 09:40 PM

I for one didn't know anything about this so I'm glad for the new thread.

TheNoodleMan 07-30-2007 09:42 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Whatever, I'm just sick of the "OMG lock it if its not in the huge unwieldy OFFICIAL thread" attitude.

The official threads officially outlived their usefulness with the mammoth and unreadable NBA playoff thread. If someone can't start a fresh thread for the biggest NBA trade in years then this forum is way too uptight.

NozeCandy 07-30-2007 09:46 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I guess I just am shocked that adding KG will add 30 wins to a team so automatically that people are calling them favorites. The East is far behind the West for sure, but it isn't completely devoid of solid teams (Chicago, Detroit, Cleveland).

Though I just looked at the standings for last year and I guess I underestimated just how poor the East is.

[/ QUOTE ]
KG alone, probably not. KG + Allen + a Pierce who will actually play, will.

XXXNoahXXX 07-30-2007 09:47 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Whatever, I'm just sick of the "OMG lock it if its not in the huge unwieldy OFFICIAL thread" attitude.

The official threads officially outlived their usefulness with the mammoth and unreadable NBA playoff thread. If someone can't start a fresh thread for the biggest NBA trade in years then this forum is way too uptight.

[/ QUOTE ]

I agree with both.

I wish we could copy and paste all the KG posts from there to a new thread like this one, because it does deserve its own thread, but the thread would benefit from the discussion that has already taken place.

onlinebeginner 07-30-2007 09:54 PM

they got what... a three year window right now.... they should get some role players a.s.a.p

Artdogg 07-30-2007 09:56 PM

they can have Nash Marion Amare Barbs, suns are in the rebuilding stage

benza13 07-30-2007 10:17 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
KG alone, probably not. KG + Allen + a Pierce who will actually play, will.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yea, Pierce barely played last year due to injuries (both real and tank related) plus they picked up Allen already. Adding KG gives them 3 all stars who can hopefully stay healthy. The only major piece they lost in these deals was Jefferson, they will definitely be significantly better.

tuq 07-30-2007 10:17 PM

LOL Artdogg, there's not a true Suns homer who doesn't think they can win with what they have, so I know you're BSing. Still, to have gotten KG for Marion + another rotation player (probably Diaw if MN would take him) + a pick or two would have been pretty goddamned sweet. Still glad they didn't trade Amare though...

Victor 07-30-2007 10:19 PM

glad i saw this thread bc there i would never consider opening that celtics thread.

mason55 07-30-2007 10:42 PM

[ QUOTE ]
glad i saw this thread bc there i would never consider opening that celtics thread.

[/ QUOTE ]

zer0 07-30-2007 10:44 PM

you have to go for it if you're ainge. you have the same window with the three superstars that you had with allen/pierce, and you'd be [censored] either way if you didnt win it all in that window. jefferson isn't a guy who can carry the load when pierce is 4 years older. i'd rather them blow it up again in 5 years than keep drafting #15-20 for the rest of my life.

nation 07-30-2007 10:47 PM

simmons has a pretty good article, it's always refreshing to see a diehard fan with a crappy team react to impact news. as always, simmons is a great writer.

http://sports.espn.go.com/espn/page2...simmons/070730

barryc83 07-30-2007 10:50 PM

Maybe PP will hit the damn treadmill and get his chubby behind in gear now that he has some real players on the squad. So who's gonna sweep the Celts in the Finals this year? SA/PHO/HOU/DAL/UTAH?

hiho 07-30-2007 10:50 PM

But what about their bench? Its weak at best.

Jurollo 07-30-2007 11:00 PM

[ QUOTE ]
But what about their bench? Its weak at best.

[/ QUOTE ]
Tony Allen
Big Baby (Serviceable NBA body)
Scalabrine (OMG SOMEONE KILL HIM)

Who is left in free agency that we could make a run at?

Brevin Knight?
What about Forwards?

kidcolin 07-30-2007 11:02 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah, you're right. My b.

Re: The bench. Give it time. We obviously need to pick up a couple pieces. If we only get one, it has to be a PG. We could deal with having weak support off the bench at the 4-5 spot with Powe and Davis, but a decent back up PG is a must.

kidcolin 07-30-2007 11:06 PM

Simmons' article reminded me about Jefferson's current contract. He's a free agent in 2 years. That sort of blows for the TWolves. I wish it was more like 4 years so he could resign with the Celtics, but at least he'll be free (if he hasn't eaten himself out the league since he'll be so depressed).

onlinebeginner 07-30-2007 11:06 PM

got anyone to trade for raefer alston... i'll give him to you

zer0 07-30-2007 11:08 PM

[ QUOTE ]
got anyone to trade for raefer alston... i'll give him to you

[/ QUOTE ]

hotsauce and 1/2 man, 1/2 amazing

Jurollo 07-30-2007 11:09 PM

Like always Simmons has me excited. I am likely buying season tickets tomorrow, who wants in with me?

Victor 07-30-2007 11:10 PM

well as a cavs fan this sucks. i would imagine the bulls and pistons arent happy either.

talentdeficit 07-30-2007 11:16 PM

what free agent exceptions do the celts have? because they are way, way over the cap and have zero tradeable assets left, right? i don't see how they can win even the east right now. who is their starting center? do they have any guards behind allen and rondo?

Magra 07-30-2007 11:17 PM

KG is my second favorite player of all time (behind Reggie), and as a Knick fan I'm iffy about this feeling. Seems like he got put on a great EC contender, but it's on a rival team. Probably will go to some Celt/Knick games.

DesertCat 07-30-2007 11:19 PM

That's a lot to pay for a one year rental of KG. Cause he's opting out and he ain't staying, he's going west young man to play with his bestest buddy Steve...

Jurollo 07-30-2007 11:21 PM

[ QUOTE ]
what free agent exceptions do the celts have? because they are way, way over the cap and have zero tradeable assets left, right? i don't see how they can win even the east right now. who is their starting center? do they have any guards behind allen and rondo?

[/ QUOTE ]
PG - Rondo
SG - Allen
SF - Pierce
PF - KG
C - Perk

Bench
Allen
Pruitt
Powe
Big Baby
Scalabrine
Brandon Wallace

Do they have mid level exception left or is B-Scal still eating it up?

I don't see how you can say you dont see that team winning the East. They will add a vet or two now like Brevin Knight. Dee Brown is out of Utah too now.

Jurollo 07-30-2007 11:22 PM

[ QUOTE ]
That's a lot to pay for a one year rental of KG. Cause he's opting out and he ain't staying, he's going west young man to play with his bestest buddy Steve...

[/ QUOTE ]
Are you drunk? A big part of this deal was him signing a long term deal without an opt out as well as him opting out of him trade escalator. The C's aren't finalizing things till then.

34TheTruth34 07-30-2007 11:24 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

lol

Jurollo 07-30-2007 11:24 PM

Also Gomes being in this thing isnt a done deal. Which would be a nice piece to keep.