Two Plus Two Newer Archives

Two Plus Two Newer Archives (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/index.php)
-   Golf (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/forumdisplay.php?f=95)
-   -   Golf prop bets - please list good ones! (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/showthread.php?t=462817)

kyleb 07-28-2007 02:47 AM

Golf prop bets - please list good ones!

I golf with 2+2'ers who are mainly degenerates of varying degrees, and we like to bet on golf. I imagine most of you do as well, this being an Internet gambling board and all. So, please list your favorite prop bets and prop bet stories, since we would like to start using some new ones!

Shoe Lace 07-28-2007 04:58 AM

Re: Golf prop bets - please list good ones!

If you're with true degenerates then it's safe to say they'll be riding a cart.

Why not bet on how steep of a hill they can ride sideways without tipping over?

This idea came from watching a guy trying to balance a cart with his frikken leg while he drove up along a hill sideways at a massive angle. I'm extremely surprised it did not tip.

I don't think his leg was actually helping it stay up. The first thing I thought was "guy, your leg is not going to prevent you from tipping if you cross the tipping-is-guaranteed angle".

kyleb 07-28-2007 05:33 AM

Nah, we walk the course, but that's a funny idea.

RickAstleyFan 07-28-2007 07:53 AM

Longest putt made, that's a standard one in my group.

Also, if someone makes a 2 on a par three, everyone has to give that person 5 bucks.

ghostface 07-28-2007 08:11 AM

Last night I was coming up the 9th hole and a member gave me 2:1 on my 10 foot birdie putt. I made it! WOW.

black knight 07-28-2007 11:16 AM

I got 3:1 to play the 18th hole blind...and I parred it.

Lots of people find that surprisingly UNremarkable, but I was really shocked.

ghostface 07-28-2007 11:49 AM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

you've come with some gems lately

black knight 07-28-2007 12:29 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

you've come with some gems lately

[/ QUOTE ]

What, you seriously doubt that this happened?

Punker 07-28-2007 12:41 PM

We have an upcoming bet where I play the course with my 5 wood only, for all shots (drive, chips, putts, sand, etc).

I ordinarily play this course in the low 90s, and my opponent has set my over/under at 130, which we will bet at $10/shot in either direction.

Runner Runner 07-28-2007 09:36 PM

[ QUOTE ]
We have an upcoming bet where I play the course with my 5 wood only, for all shots (drive, chips, putts, sand, etc).

I ordinarily play this course in the low 90s, and my opponent has set my over/under at 130, which we will bet at $10/shot in either direction.

[/ QUOTE ]

You are a good favorite to win money here. I would be surprised if I would be a full stroke worse per hole playing with only a 5 wood.

legend42 07-29-2007 12:03 AM

Yeah, I think you should be +EV on that bet also, especially if you have time to practice with your 5W in those odd situations.

Nick Rainey 07-29-2007 05:17 PM

My group plays royalties, they are as follows. The two other guys get $5000 for birdies and $1500 for par. I get $5000 for eagles and $1500 for birdies. Last night at Red Rock I fired off 5 straight birdies for a nice payday. Arroyo at Red Rock is so short and easy, just a heads up if anyone wants to play you there.

I will play with my drive only the whole course, I need strokes and a tee box and I am willing to play anytime.

Equal 07-29-2007 06:46 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

You should win approx. an infinite amount of money in this bet.

guids 07-29-2007 10:38 PM

[ QUOTE ]
My group plays royalties, they are as follows. The two other guys get $5000 for birdies and $1500 for par. I get $5000 for eagles and $1500 for birdies. Last night at Red Rock I fired off 5 straight birdies for a nice payday. Arroyo at Red Rock is so short and easy, just a heads up if anyone wants to play you there.

I will play with my drive only the whole course, I need strokes and a tee box and I am willing to play anytime.

[/ QUOTE ]

are you guys of equal playing ability, I have no clue how you could come out ahead here, ever? can you explain this a little more in depth?

Weasel45 07-30-2007 12:14 AM

2 to one playing on foot except putting at the strokes you normaly play at

Nick Rainey 07-30-2007 03:49 AM

Both shoot around 120 and I shoot 80's. So its about equal. Nothing worse is when they get lucky and have those birdie putts, scary as hell.

Butcho22 07-30-2007 12:59 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

To determine if it was remarkable, we need to know a few things...

Was this the first time you played at this putt putt course?

Did you use a red ball?

Did you play with the rule that if your ball is up against the board you get to move it one putter head distance away?

black knight 07-30-2007 03:18 PM

It was a 370yd uphill par 4 with trees+ob right and big oaks guarding the front of the green (you have to go over them).

I got to set up the shot with my eyes open, but then had to close them for the whole shot.

lennytheduck 07-30-2007 06:46 PM

I think hitting a drive and putting would be fairly easy. An iron shot would be a lot, lot tougher.

black knight 07-30-2007 07:31 PM

Actually, the drive was by FAR the hardest.

Driving>Iron>Wedge>Putt

I actually snapped my drive left, hit a tree, and left me about 220 out with a very difficult shot shape over the trees guarding the green, so I layed up with a 7iron (which went just fine)...had 70yds left, hit my lob wedge to 4' and made the putt.

The prop bet was for me to actually BEAT my friend (who was probably going to make 6...but ended up making 7) and he gave me 3:1.

Nick Rainey 07-30-2007 09:41 PM

Had my first double eagle today, drove a par five from the tips on #2 at bears best and sunk the putt. Not my farthest drive, hit one 602 at TPC Summerlin last week.

tuq 07-30-2007 10:05 PM

^ Nick you are like the only person on the planet who I wouldn't call insta-BS on both of the things you just wrote.

shemp 07-30-2007 10:32 PM

[ QUOTE ]
^ Nick you are like the only person on the planet who I wouldn't call insta-BS on both of the things you just wrote.

[/ QUOTE ]

So Funny. I was kinda thinking I'd like some action on a black knight (+2) versus Nick Rainey (-10) on his home course. I've never met either (and I'm not calling out black knight in any way by saying this)-- and that was before his latest post.

guids 07-30-2007 10:38 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Had my first double eagle today, drove a par five from the tips on #2 at bears best and sunk the putt. Not my farthest drive, hit one 602 at TPC Summerlin last week.

[/ QUOTE ]

You hit a 602 yard drive?

black knight 07-30-2007 10:41 PM

On whose home course? I'm only a +2 there, scratch elsewhere.

OTOH, seriously, plz explain the hole that you could possibly drive a par 5. I've only ever seen TWO (>500yds) that was possibly drivable. One was Mt Woodson near San Diego - it was 520 but 3 huge downhill tiers (someone got a hole in one the year before I went). The 2nd is Morningstar near Parksville, BC where it's something like 500 70degree dogleg left and downhill so a 330ish drive cutting the corner turns into about 400, which is what the b-line to the hole would be.

Either way, cudos for doing it!

Butcho22 07-30-2007 10:52 PM

lol if black knight is just one big level, A+

LOL at people who don't realize what Rainey wrote is an obvious level/jab at black knight (sorry to ruin the fun)

shemp 07-30-2007 11:13 PM

On his course-- or the course of his choosing if he's only playing driver.

shemp 07-30-2007 11:16 PM

[ QUOTE ]

LOL at people who don't realize what Rainey wrote is an obvious level/jab at black knight (sorry to ruin the fun)

[/ QUOTE ]

I really didn't even process what he said beyond awareness it was some crazy claim-- so I'm not quite as dumb as I may look. Or at least I didn't get a chance to be. In other words, you hurt the hilarity of the thread this time. This is quite apart from the match that interests me.

black knight 07-31-2007 12:10 AM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Whatever buddy, I've seen people drive par 5s, and not knowing the holes he described, I don't default to 'bs!'

Nick Rainey 07-31-2007 04:22 AM

I would be willing to bet up to 500k that if given 10 tries, I could hit a 600+ yard drive on a fairly flat surface, maybe a few hills but nothing drastic.

CalledDownLight 07-31-2007 05:48 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I would be willing to bet up to 500k that if given 10 tries, I could hit a 600+ yard drive on a fairly flat surface, maybe a few hills but nothing drastic.

[/ QUOTE ]

Can I pick the surface?

Butcho22 07-31-2007 12:04 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

http://www.me.umn.edu/~curt/terragea...syr-runway.jpg

guids 07-31-2007 12:09 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

http://www.me.umn.edu/~curt/terragea...syr-runway.jpg

[/ QUOTE ]

I was thinkinghttp://www.ioe.ac.uk/is/archives/aus...zen%20Lake.jpg

stinkypete 08-03-2007 03:28 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

it wasnt a jab, he was just trying to set up a prop bet

Tregan 08-03-2007 05:59 PM

This isn't a prop bet but is along the lines of sport and competition... and humiliation of your fellow golfer 8-)

My college buddies and I play with the standing rule that if you fail to hit your tee shot past the ladies tees, you play the rest of the hole with your weiner hanging out. Alternative: nuts.

knicknut 08-03-2007 07:30 PM

100mph tailwind too?

black knight 08-03-2007 09:23 PM

[ QUOTE ]
This isn't a prop bet but is along the lines of sport and competition... and humiliation of your fellow golfer 8-)

My college buddies and I play with the standing rule that if you fail to hit your tee shot past the ladies tees, you play the rest of the hole with your weiner hanging out. Alternative: nuts.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah, this is the long-established "Drop Trou" (as in trousers) rule. Basically, to prove you're still a man :P

pokerjfb 08-03-2007 11:51 PM

i have had a couple good ones with my friends. I'm a scratch and they shoot in the high 90's 100's. First was i use drive 7iron and putter for whole round...obviouslly way to easy as i shot 76. Moving on with of my friends he would be allowed to drop the ball at the 150 and i had to tee up from the rough behind the back tee box...again to easy 74 to 90 he was surprised he did not do a lot better. Again he thinks he has a good bet but im sure i will demolish him yet again. He wants me to drop the ball on the green...anywhere i want on the green and i drop from the 150 marker and play in.

black knight 08-04-2007 03:38 AM

I think you have the edge if you're good from that distance: i.e. you'll never make 4, and you'll make 2 at least 6 times a round.

On the 7i + Putter, my course has an annual tourney called the Tombstone where you get 2 clubs and Par + handicap, and whoever gets the furthest with those strokes wins. Usually the winner plays all 18 and finishes somewhere on 3. My dad's a 18 and usually gets to #1 or 2 the 2nd time through...I've never tried it though. I think it goes to show how higher handicappers (most people who go quite far are >10 caps) would do better with just 4-5 clubs for the whole course.

pokerjfb 08-04-2007 08:05 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I think you have the edge if you're good from that distance: i.e. you'll never make 4, and you'll make 2 at least 6 times a round.

On the 7i + Putter, my course has an annual tourney called the Tombstone where you get 2 clubs and Par + handicap, and whoever gets the furthest with those strokes wins. Usually the winner plays all 18 and finishes somewhere on 3. My dad's a 18 and usually gets to #1 or 2 the 2nd time through...I've never tried it though. I think it goes to show how higher handicappers (most people who go quite far are >10 caps) would do better with just 4-5 clubs for the whole course.

[/ QUOTE ]

That is a great idea for a wednesday afternoon tournament for a club to host to get more volume on the course during the week.