Two Plus Two Newer Archives

Two Plus Two Newer Archives (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/index.php)
-   EDF (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/forumdisplay.php?f=81)
-   -   Prop bet thread (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/showthread.php?t=459777)

El Diablo 07-24-2007 07:34 PM

Prop bet thread

This thread is for discussion of all things prop bet related. Challenges, wagers, line discussions, etc.

Here's one to get things started.

What's a good line on how much jail time Lindsay Lohan will serve (total) for her two DUI arrests?

amplify 07-24-2007 07:56 PM

Re: Prop bet thread

30 days?

Line on Mike Vick starting the season at QB?

private joker 07-24-2007 08:50 PM

[ QUOTE ]
30 days?

Line on Mike Vick starting the season at QB?

[/ QUOTE ]

+195?

El Diablo 07-24-2007 09:17 PM

All,

Tourney prop bet fodder:

ZJ: i think im one of the 10 best live tourney players on the planet...
ZJ: but i think alan [sass aka usher -ED] is better than me

That should be good to generate something.

invisibleleadsoup 07-24-2007 09:18 PM

while we're at it can someone explain to me the american way of laying odds?

what does +195 mean?

i don't understand betting too well at the best of time,but in europe if the odds are 6-1 then if i bet ten dollars i get seventy back total if i win,but i don't know how it works over there...

threeonefour 07-24-2007 09:24 PM

+195 means if you bet 100 dollars you will make a 195 dollar profit if you win.

-195 means you need to lay 195$ in order to make a 100$ profit if you win.

+100 means an even money wager

guids 07-24-2007 09:24 PM

[ QUOTE ]
while we're at it can someone explain to me the american way of laying odds?

what does +195 mean?

i don't understand betting too well at the best of time,but in europe if the odds are 6-1 then if i bet ten dollars i get seventy back total if i win,but i don't know how it works over there...

[/ QUOTE ]

+195 is basically for ever dollar you bet you get 1.95 back, so 100$ bet gets you 195

usually there is 2 numbers

+195

a negative number means that is how much you have to bet to win 100$

The difference is teh vig, that is pretty low vig for this bet, and I think +195 is a pretty decent price.

B00T 07-24-2007 09:24 PM

+195 means for every $100 bet, you win $195. You'd get $295 back in the way you are accustomed.

If the line was -195 (a favorite) you'd win $100 for every $195 you risked.

invisibleleadsoup 07-24-2007 09:28 PM

nice one,cheers guys

threeonefour 07-24-2007 09:32 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

almost certainly not true but unfalsifiable (unverifiable might be more accurate) at any rate.

tournament poker is not chess, the signal to noise ratio is very very low and there isn't much of a mechanism to rank players. furthermore, there isn't a system in place to ensure that the cream rises to the top (chess success just requires smarts, tournament poker requires smarts + very large bankroll). some of the best tournament players in the world are very likely unknowns. once again, you can't just play a few tournaments, get a 2600+ rating then play Kramnik, beat him and instantly earn the respect of the community.

TxRedMan 07-24-2007 10:11 PM

i am willing to make the following bet if anyone is interested. not that it matters to the person who might accept the bet, but i've never done this nor tried it, and i train pretty much the exact opposite.

bench press my body weight 300 times in one day, even money.

bench press my body weight 500 times in one day with odds.

to be performed in either dallas or LV for substantial dollars.

ImsaKidd 07-24-2007 10:17 PM

[ QUOTE ]
i am willing to make the following bet if anyone is interested. not that it matters to the person who might accept the bet, but i've never done this nor tried it, and i train pretty much the exact opposite.

[/ QUOTE ]

Doesnt this get harder and harder as body weight increases? I assume since you train (and iirc from pics) you are pretty bulky.

I think you need odds on 300 tbh.

shaniac 07-24-2007 10:31 PM

x-1 that my 2007 gross cashes will be better than BOTH Alan S and Justin B? Or, vs. either individually.

Not saying I will want the action (though maybe), but I'm curious what line people would set. I assume we'll play a similar amount of tourneys for the rest of 2007. (Also, I do not consider myself one of the 10 best tournament players).

2007 so far according to Hendon Mob:

Alan: 323K
ZJ: 384K
Me: 435K

James Boston 07-24-2007 10:35 PM

Here's a missed opportunity from this afternoon, that I'm still upset I didn't get to wager.

I have 2 bosses - 1 immediate boss and that person's boss. I frequently have to deal with both of them. My immediate boss, that person's boss, another person, and I were on a conference call today. The big boss and I were disagreeing on something. He bet me my job that I was wrong. At that point my immediate boss intervened.

My counter bet was going to be:

1) I'm tired of your crap
2) If you want to gamble, let's gamble.
3) I'll bet my mortgage against yours (his house is really nice - higher mortgage than I have)
4) You can fire me today and I can find another job, with better pay, where I don't have to take s**t from you, and I can do it in under 3 weeks.

I was genuinelly ready to make this bet, but calmer heads spoke up. I would have won FWIW.

guids 07-24-2007 10:37 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Whats your bw? I think Id be willing to give you 1.5:1 500 times in 24 hours, no shirt, bench press, not competition style, for up to 5k.

Badger 07-24-2007 10:40 PM

[ QUOTE ]
All,

Tourney prop bet fodder:

ZJ: but i think alan [sass aka usher -ED] is better than me

That should be good to generate something.

[/ QUOTE ]
That's ludicrous, he's six of the 10 best tourney players.

Seriously though, aba has a prop bet with Barry G. relating to this. Brian pays Barry 20% of Barry's tourney cashes and Barry pays Brian 10% of ZJs cashes and 10% Imperium's cashes.

I'm not sure of much more of the details, I'm assuming it'd be limited to tourneys that all three are playing in. Brian mentioned it in his blog, I'm sure someone will chime in with more or let me know if I got something wrong.

2461Badugi 07-24-2007 10:42 PM

[ QUOTE ]

Seriously though, aba has a prop bet with Barry G. relating to this. Brian pays Barry 20% of Barry's tourney cashes and Barry pays Brian 10% of ZJs cashes and 10% Imperium's cashes.

I'm not sure of much more of the details, I'm assuming it'd be limited to tourneys that all three are playing in. Brian mentioned it in his blog, I'm sure someone will chime in with more or let me know if I got something wrong.

[/ QUOTE ]

Barry's posted about it a bit in NVG.

Emperor 07-24-2007 10:43 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Since you said you train for opposite, it means you train for strength. Which means if you weigh 225, then benching 225lbs 13times an hour for 24 hrs (300x) is cake, (unless you can only bench like 240max)

500x is harder but I'd say thats about the point muscle stamina is going to come into play.

Knowing your bench max would make this more likely to happen.

I think I could do this with 75% of my max bench.

guids 07-24-2007 10:50 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Since you said you train for opposite, it means you train for strength. Which means if you weigh 225, then benching 225lbs 13times an hour for 24 hrs (300x) is cake, (unless you can only bench like 240max)

500x is harder but I'd say thats about the point muscle stamina is going to come into play.

[/ QUOTE ]

current- 415 @ 215 this is what he maxes, and weighs.

Im pretty sure i remember seeing those pro challenges with nfl players, benching 225 as many times as possible before giving out, and Im pretty sure I never saw anyone hit 30. I think this is much much tougher than you are thinking it is. 20 times per hour, for 24 hours @ 215?

Howard Treesong 07-24-2007 10:55 PM

[ QUOTE ]
x-1 that my 2007 gross cashes will be better than BOTH Alan S and Justin B? Or, vs. either individually.

Not saying I will want the action (though maybe), but I'm curious what line people would set. I assume we'll play a similar amount of tourneys for the rest of 2007. (Also, I do not consider myself one of the 10 best tournament players).

2007 so far according to Hendon Mob:

Alan: 323K
ZJ: 384K
Me: 435K

[/ QUOTE ]

Remember, though, ZJ has managed to get it all in with KK twice against AA in what, like the final fifteen in a couple of huge tournaments? He's gotten grossly cold-decked in a couple of major, major spots as I recall it.

Perhaps you have as well; obviously, I've followed your action somewhat less than I've followed ZJ's.

TxRedMan 07-24-2007 11:09 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Doesnt this get harder and harder as body weight increases? I assume since you train (and iirc from pics) you are pretty bulky.

[/ QUOTE ]

i'm at 215 right now, which is 45 pounds lighter than the heaviest of any pics i've posted on here.

you're correct though, it is harder the heavier you are.

i'll take odds on 300! you laying?

Howard Treesong 07-24-2007 11:11 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

i'm at 215 right now, which is 45 pounds lighter than the heaviest of any pics i've posted on here.

[/ QUOTE ]

Once again, this lends new meaning to the term "self-weighting proposition." I have a hard time imagining you can get big action on this, Tex.

Emperor 07-24-2007 11:12 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Im pretty sure i remember seeing those pro challenges with nfl players, benching 225 as many times as possible before giving out, and Im pretty sure I never saw anyone hit 30. I think this is much much tougher than you are thinking it is. 20 times per hour, for 24 hours @ 215?

[/ QUOTE ]

You are right about the 225 NFL rep test...30 is excellent, I thought the OSU record was 44 or something but I could be wrong.

However this is completely different than pressing 225lb's once, and taking a 3 minute break. Not letting acid build up in the muscles is key.

Howard Treesong 07-24-2007 11:16 PM

[ QUOTE ]
This thread is for discussion of all things prop bet related. Challenges, wagers, line discussions, etc.

What's a good line on how much jail time Lindsay Lohan will serve (total) for her two DUI arrests?

[/ QUOTE ]

If it's just the DUIs, I'll take 30 days for $100, but I think she got hit for cocaine possession as well -- is your prop for all charges or just the DUIs? If we include the drug stuff, I'll set the line at 91 and you can take whichever side you like.

Subfallen 07-24-2007 11:24 PM

IMO memorization prop bets can be pretty deceptive to handicap.

For example, odds on memorizing King Lear word-for-word in 1 month?

TxRedMan 07-24-2007 11:29 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

i was 213 yesterday morning, 218 after dinner.

i think 2-1 on 500xBW would be a fair line. to put it into relative figures:

i dont train for reps
iirc i'm stronger than 99.9% of all people in bench press
my last max out was one month ago, 415
i've been off for three weeks w/ the WSOP and such
most athletes cant bench press their BW 10x

i'd want the following: elbow wraps after say, 200 reps? unlimited energy/caffeine drinks, 24 hours, any normal shirt, i.e., longsleeve, tanktop, and i get to change shirts if i want, ben-gay and anti inflammatories, no competition style bench presses, i.e., no pause reps, just a normal bench press, a spotter for liftoffs and help racking the weight only, and i'd want to weigh in as they would in a fight, so i could drop maybe five pounds or whatever in a sauna the night before and then start benching the next morning.

i'll be in LV aug. 5-9, and if i can get 2-1 i think $5K sounds like a good price.

willing to negotiate/hear other terms.

limon 07-24-2007 11:32 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

she wont spend a day less than paris...bet on it.

TxRedMan 07-24-2007 11:37 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Once again, this lends new meaning to the term "self-weighting proposition." I have a hard time imagining you can get big action on this, Tex.

[/ QUOTE ]

well it's not quite like that, b/c i've posted pics of myself as well as a video of myself bench pressing my one rep max, so people know for fact i am what i say i weigh and what i can bench 1RM, so if you've been around weight lifting you'd know how hard this would be given my abilities and my obvious background in lifting the opposite of this challenge.

Neuman101 07-24-2007 11:37 PM

tiger woods wins the PGA 3/1
roger federer wins the US open.....1/1? i dont even know if even money is proper here- he is so dominant

slickpoppa 07-24-2007 11:54 PM

I wanna see somebody do 3 chipotle burritos in 15 minutes.

slickpoppa 07-24-2007 11:56 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

My intuition tells me you would have absolutely no shot on 500, but your willingness to bet makes me question that.

shemp 07-25-2007 12:04 AM

Tx. Maybe something a little more heads-up. We both bench bw 500 in one day, no blood (good workout). You do, I don't. I pay X. Both don't, but you do more than me. I pay Y.

Howard Treesong 07-25-2007 12:05 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

well it's not quite like that, b/c i've posted pics of myself as well as a video of myself bench pressing my one rep max, so people know for fact i am what i say i weigh and what i can bench 1RM, so if you've been around weight lifting you'd know how hard this would be given my abilities and my obvious background in lifting the opposite of this challenge.

[/ QUOTE ]

No, I didn't mean it that way -- I'm sure you'll be honest with respect to what your weight is, although that was part of my dumb pun. What I really can't imagine is that you'd take this bet unless you thought you could win it, and you know much more about this subject than anyone else does. Put differently, you'd never bet $100K even money on this unless you were darn sure you could win it. Thus, you're the one weighting the bet -- it's self-weighting in the Malmuth/Sklansky sense.

ImsaKidd 07-25-2007 01:16 AM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I can memorize that in like 5 seconds. Just 2 words [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]

tx: I'm obv not betting if I suggested you get better odds [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]

shemp 07-25-2007 01:24 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I can memorize that in like 5 seconds. Just 2 words [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]

tx: I'm obv not betting if I suggested you get better odds [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]

[/ QUOTE ]

Would you take worse odds? I'm an old man who likes action. El Diablo can personally testify that I am not physically imposing. I just want to gamble.

crashjr 07-25-2007 02:00 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

You are right about the 225 NFL rep test...30 is excellent, I thought the OSU record was 44 or something but I could be wrong.

However this is completely different than pressing 225lb's once, and taking a 3 minute break. Not letting acid build up in the muscles is key.

[/ QUOTE ]

iirc, Brian Bosworth (while at Oklahoma) put it up well over 40 times in the mid '80s. A quick google search did not confirm.

shemp 07-25-2007 02:09 AM

I think Charles White USC had some ridiculous numbers in the NFL combine test-- which included bench press for reps, and at that point power cleans. I don't know if he was the best or if he set a record that still stands, but I remember his score being a big deal.

El Diablo 07-25-2007 02:12 AM

Tx,

FWIW, shemp looks sorta like an accountant. Maybe one who runs and likes to ski with his buddies and stuff.

shemp 07-25-2007 02:33 AM

First you tell me I'm cute and you want to take me home. Now I look like an accountant?

In any case. There has to be a bw bench press prop in here. We just need to find it.

HiBaCHi 07-25-2007 02:37 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I wanna see somebody do 3 chipotle burritos in 15 minutes.

[/ QUOTE ]

i would be all over this bet back in college, but would probably have to "train" a bit to do it now which is something i'm just not willing to do. i'm sure a handful of ppl on here will take this though. the burritos are definitely tough and misleading though. i would probably take a 4 footlong subs from subway in 20 min than a 3 chipotle burritos in 15 min challenge.