Two Plus Two Newer Archives

Two Plus Two Newer Archives (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/index.php)
-   Other Other Topics (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/forumdisplay.php?f=36)
-   -   Human Weapon on History Channel (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/showthread.php?t=458558)

DonkeyKongSr 07-23-2007 04:32 PM

Human Weapon on History Channel

This show debuted last night. It's about 2 guys (a MMA guy and a football player/wrestler) that travel the world to study a new form of fighting every week. At the end of the episode, one guy is picked to use the skills they learned in an exhibition match.

Last night was Muay Thai in Thailand. Overall, I thought it was really cool. They didn't just go to one place and study there. Instead, they travelled all over the country picking up different elements of Muay Thai & other Thai fighting, some of which they made sound like very exclusive and rare offshoots of the martial art. As they go along, they do a great job with computer animation & physics to demonstrate what is so effective about each technique. Also, you get a pretty good look at the culture and history of the country & martial art.

The fight at the end was sorta cool, but the Muay Thai champion was obviously taking it easy. The guy did do a really good job of defending though. I hope the fights are a little more intense in the future. I'd like to see some legit knockouts/submissions. The guy earlier in the episode that got KTFO with an elbow and bleed out of every oriface of this head made up for it though.

Website (warning: plays a video)

Anyone else watch? What did you think? I think I'm definitely in for all episodes of this show. It's well done. The guys are likeable. There's ass kicking. And there's history. Thumbs up from me.

Ibanez8185 07-23-2007 04:35 PM

Re: Human Weapon on History Channel

Good show I liked it. Hopefully the next few episodes are even better.

monkeyfightclub 07-23-2007 04:39 PM

The show was okay. I reallly did like some of the muy thai highlights where people got jacked up.

orange 07-23-2007 05:52 PM

I watched most of it. I thought alot of the moves were explained well and the entire thing was pretty cool. That champ wouldve KTFO the other guy though (obv). Those M-Thai fighters are crazy.

Blarg 07-23-2007 06:17 PM

Learning a fighting style ever week sounds LOL. But I'll look for episodes of the show.

DonkeyKongSr 07-23-2007 06:22 PM

Next week is Eskrima, a Filipino stick/swordfighting technique. Sounds like it should be fun...

"Along the way, they'll attempt to take down a 2000-pound water buffalo using techniques developed on the rice patties at the foot of the Manalanga Mountains, and perfect Eskrima stick twirling techniques on rickety bamboo rafts beneath the waterfalls in the jungles of Badian. Finally one of our hosts will enter a gritty cockfight ring for an Eskrima stick fight against a 5-time world champion."

Blarg 07-23-2007 07:01 PM

Escrima is awesome. If you want to see some live Filipino-style stick fighting(Kali), do a search on the dog brothers.

catoandtonic 07-24-2007 01:45 AM

I thought the show was entertaining. I was a little disappointed the bigger guy didn't get to fight. Although, its understandably hard to find someone close to his size.

I was really impressed with Jason's defense. It was obvious that the Muay Tai champ was taking it easy, but Jason showed alot of technique.

Eskrima(escrima?) sounds interesting. Have to make sure I catch the next episode.

ApeAttack 07-24-2007 03:53 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I'd like to see some legit knockouts/submissions.

[/ QUOTE ]

Probably not going to happen since the 2 main guys can't become experts in such as short time.

Overall, a good concept for a show. I wonder what they will do if the show becomes very popular and goes into a 4th season down the road (how many different fighting styles can they possibly show?).

SNOWBALL 07-24-2007 04:00 AM

[ QUOTE ]

Escrima is awesome. If you want to see some live Filipino-style stick fighting(Kali), do a search on the dog brothers.

[/ QUOTE ]

My issue with escrima is that carrying a collapsing baton is srsly illegal in CA. I constrantly hear escrima people talk about how "oh anything is a weapon". O RLY? Well, tbh, I've never seen anything even remotely sticklike in the hollywood park parking lot, so when someone tries to mug me/attack me there, I'd be screwed if all I knew was stick fighting. On the other hand, I DO carry a knife, and would like to become proficient at using it.
Blarg, do you have any recommendations for a place in LA to learn the knife fighting side of kali?

kkcountry 07-24-2007 04:11 AM

my dvr forgot to record this. i am srsly pumped for it though. according to the website, these are the disciplines lined up for the rest of the season (in no particular order):

* Muay Thai: Ultimate Striking
* Karate
* Judo: Samurai Legacy
* Eskrima Stickfighting
* Savate Streetfighting
* Pankration: The Original Martial Art
* Krav Maga of the Israeli Commandos
* Marine Corps Martial Arts
* MMA - America's Extreme Fighting
* Kung Fu
* Sambo: Russia's Extreme Fighting
* Bokator: Cambodian Blood Sport
* Silat: Martial Art of Malaysia

Shadowrun 07-24-2007 04:33 AM

Watched the show, to me the best part was when they showed that ridiculous monkey technique to the trainer, and he was like no you cant do jack with it.

tbh i was worried that the big guy was going to be in there, and when he was going to try to clinch he was going to have his head knocked off.

illeagle 07-24-2007 08:55 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

My issue with escrima is that carrying a collapsing baton is srsly illegal in CA. I constrantly hear escrima people talk about how "oh anything is a weapon". O RLY? Well, tbh, I've never seen anything even remotely sticklike in the hollywood park parking lot, so when someone tries to mug me/attack me there, I'd be screwed if all I knew was stick fighting. On the other hand, I DO carry a knife, and would like to become proficient at using it.
Blarg, do you have any recommendations for a place in LA to learn the knife fighting side of kali?

[/ QUOTE ]
Wear a trenchcoat and play Dungeons & Dragons much?

mrkilla 07-24-2007 09:06 AM

I watched some of this on the plane. It actually wasn't half bad. I have to admit I saw some ad's on street corners around here and it didnt look like anything I wanted to watch

Blarg 07-24-2007 01:23 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
I'd like to see some legit knockouts/submissions.

[/ QUOTE ]

Probably not going to happen since the 2 main guys can't become experts in such as short time.

Overall, a good concept for a show. I wonder what they will do if the show becomes very popular and goes into a 4th season down the road (how many different fighting styles can they possibly show?).

[/ QUOTE ]

There are over 300 styles of kung fu alone. And that's not counting that in most styles, there is weapon usage somewhere along the line, and so you can look at a style in more than one program. So the material is almost unlimited.

Unfortunately, some styles take so many years to learn that you can't really cover too much, certainly competitive-wise. I can't imagine them learning squat about bagua, for instance -- well, except maybe the squatting part.

Blarg 07-24-2007 01:29 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Don't know what's being taught enough to say. There was a kali studio on Vermont, in Koreatown, up above 3rd street, that I've driven by. And Dan Inosanto's Kali Academy has been around forever. But I don't know at what stage of development Inosanto or other Kali practicioners might introduce knife play.

From my understanding, though, the movement patterns are very similar, so what you learn from sticks you can apply to knives and to empty hands, too. If you look at the way Filipino stick fighters circle and weave their sticks, you can see right away how at least some of that applies directly to knifeplay, e.g., lots of wrist rotations to slice around and get in to targets.

Sticks are also great for upper body fitness, timing, and coordination in general, so I don't think you'd wind up regretting learning stick fighting first and moving to knife play as part of a normal course of training.

Blarg 07-24-2007 01:31 PM

Btw on the weekend they're showing two episodes of it, so anyone who missed it can catch up. I think it's starting at 5 or 6 on Sunday.

Blarg 07-24-2007 01:33 PM

Oh and snowball, the dog brothers teach around L.A., I think maybe in Long Beach? I'm not sure if they're still accepting students though.

Blarg 07-28-2007 12:15 AM

Saw the Muay Thai episode. Fight was lame because of no leg kicks, but I liked the part where they go into the jungle and find the guys teaching the complete art.

MikeyPatriot 07-28-2007 12:40 AM

Is Sam Sheridan involved with this at all? This sounds an awful lot like his book "A Fighter's Heart"

guids 07-28-2007 02:25 AM

Anyoen who like this show really needs to see Budo: The Art of Killing. Its on showtime (I think) once in awhile.

J_V 07-28-2007 02:51 AM

you are obsessed with knives. Out of curiosity, what is so great about a collapsing baton? Is it like a mini baseball bat?

mockturtle 07-28-2007 05:32 AM

escrima/kali/fma/whatever is awesome. i started training brazilian jiujitsu at a club that did both. a few months later i wandered in at a time scheduled for kali by accident and no one else showed up, so the instructor gave me a little introduction. it's awesome, beautiful, fun as heck. i [censored] up my foot the next day and had to move before it healed, so unfortunately i've never had the chance to train it but i would if i had the opportunity. if you are in LA, asking around the right channels or google should help you. escrima is pretty popular around the west coast.

i have not seen human weapon yet it but looks amusing. if you are into martial arts documentaries the best is by far a swedish show called Rallarsving (Available on the internet subtitled into english) hosted by an amateur muay thai fighter and an amateur shooto fighter, both swedish

Jamougha 07-28-2007 05:57 AM

[ QUOTE ]
my dvr forgot to record this. i am srsly pumped for it though. according to the website, these are the disciplines lined up for the rest of the season (in no particular order):

* Muay Thai: Ultimate Striking
* Karate
* Judo: Samurai Legacy
* Eskrima Stickfighting
* Savate Streetfighting
* Pankration: The Original Martial Art
* Krav Maga of the Israeli Commandos
* Marine Corps Martial Arts
* MMA - America's Extreme Fighting
* Kung Fu
* Sambo: Russia's Extreme Fighting
* Bokator: Cambodian Blood Sport
* Silat: Martial Art of Malaysia

[/ QUOTE ]

This is a way cool line-up. [censored] me a decent V show about martial arts? [img]/images/graemlins/shocked.gif[/img]

Rootabager 07-28-2007 10:52 AM

they should do that brazilian dance fighting technique.

Im sure it could go a couple more seasons, there is alot more styles out there.

KDawg 07-28-2007 01:21 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

and they could always revisit some old ones too because there are lots of different teachers teaching different stuff. I actually think it would be extremely interesting if they did two episodes of BJJ in a row. One with traditional teaching with someone like Wander Braga and then an episode with Eddie Bravo and some of the innovations that he has brought for no-gi BJJ

cbloom 07-28-2007 11:34 PM

Just watched Muay Thai and Escrima. Meh, some of the visits with the experts are pretty cool but I find it kind of insulting the way they treat it like a recipe book where they can pick up this one technique from a grandmaster and use that in their fight. It would be a lot cooler IMHO to just do like a documentary style show on each fighting style and then show some real fights between real experts instead of the hosts.

Overall the feel of the show reminds me a whole lot of the show "Tyler's Ultimate" , which is a bad thing.

Blarg 07-29-2007 12:30 AM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Capoeira(sp?), very cool to watch. I doubt they would pick up anything useful in a short period of time.

Blarg 07-29-2007 12:33 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Just watched Muay Thai and Escrima. Meh, some of the visits with the experts are pretty cool but I find it kind of insulting the way they treat it like a recipe book where they can pick up this one technique from a grandmaster and use that in their fight. It would be a lot cooler IMHO to just do like a documentary style show on each fighting style and then show some real fights between real experts instead of the hosts.

Overall the feel of the show reminds me a whole lot of the show "Tyler's Ultimate" , which is a bad thing.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah, it's less than ideal. But at least it's a relief from the "nobody knows nuthin if it ain't BJJ" thing that we always hear lately. And something doesn't have to be definitive or particularly deep to be good.

These guys' job looks super fun.

I wish there were more episodes on kung fu, since there are hundreds of styles and many are polar opposites. You could easily do several seasons on kung fu alone.

Rearden 07-29-2007 12:53 AM

I think they're trying to get a small taste of everything first and... assuming ratings comply... then go back and hopefully get into it a bit more (as someone suggested the gi/no-gi issue or other styles of kung fu). No matter what though,even if it was several months with these masters, there's no real way to give a fair representation of everything.

I think the oafy guy will without a doubt get a chance to grapple during sambo week.

Silat could be awesome. It's definitely a martial art I'm curious about and have little exposure to.

Blarg 07-29-2007 01:48 AM

Agreed. It also has a really wide range within it, and can have really bizarre stances and takedowns, and some weird strikes, so they could do lots of shows on it. I'd love to see some good material on pentjak silat.

The oafy guy is finding himself out of challenges because of his size, so they're gonna have to stick him in grappling or probably have no chance to use him at all. He is a good speaker, though.

kkcountry 08-11-2007 04:06 AM

Anybody catch the Savate episode tonight? I just finished it and have to say it was pretty solid. The fight at the end (they had a 6'2" heavyweight champ for the big guy to fight) was really good, both guys were going all out. Each fight has gotten better since the weak ass muy thai episode final fight.

Ron Burgundy 08-11-2007 05:24 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Anybody catch the Savate episode tonight? I just finished it and have to say it was pretty solid. The fight at the end (they had a 6'2" heavyweight champ for the big guy to fight) was really good, both guys were going all out. Each fight has gotten better since the weak ass muy thai episode final fight.

[/ QUOTE ]

I liked this ep as well. I'd never even heard of savate before.

Watching the big guy fall on his ass repeatedly was great.

The fight at the end delivered.

Blarg 08-11-2007 01:04 PM

I saw it too. Pretty fun. Reinforced the impression proven out in worldwide boxing that the Europeans are amateurs, but mixing the kicks in adds another dimension. I wouldn't have minded seeing more on the canes. They looked like they could give painful welts and help establish distance, but I'm not sure they wouldn't break on the first solid hit.

I enjoyed the smaller guy, when they went to the park, dumping a savate guy on his butt and starting the ground and pound on him.

The big guy is strong, but his coordination and balance level sometimes makes him look virtually untrained. I see this a lot with wrestlers when they're on their feet, but the better ones at least look like they've got their balance figured out. Big dude's slowness and lack of coordination will make his fights have a certain desperation in them that will be interesting to watch.

It was pretty funny that he got to a draw with the French national champion. Doesn't speak well for the champ at all, who often looked like he was getting outclassed.

elmo 08-11-2007 01:20 PM

This seems to be a knockoff of Deadly Arts on the travel channel. Only there it was a 40 something lady. I enjoyed that show, and will give this a shot.

Blarg 08-11-2007 01:33 PM

There have been a few of these shows over the years, but not too many. They're always worth checking out, just in case they don't suck.

You can catch reruns on Sundays usually. They'll show the last one, the current one(Friday show). I think starting at 5 or 6 p.m. PST.

Big Poppa Smurf 08-11-2007 02:00 PM

How do you guys feel about the hosts? I didn't like either of them at first, but the little guy is growing on me because he actually knows how to fight. The big guy though sucks nuts, "Oh I used to wrestle but these little guys are so fast!"

Blarg 08-11-2007 02:09 PM

They both seem real likeable dudes. The little guy did something last night which he does a lot -- seeming to explain techniques as if he understands them in detail when the video doesn't show that he does at all. He really does seem coordinated though, and I like seeing someone who looks relatively comfortable in both grappling and striking.

The big guy's oafishness doesn't make me like him less; maybe it makes me like him a little bit more. But it makes me roll my eyes when he's trying to learn most anything.

I really like the computer graphics segments in this show.

asofel 08-11-2007 02:23 PM

Blarg,

yeah, i get a little annoyed when the instructor of whatever says "you do this to get the guy off balance" and the little guy kinda looks at the camera like he's translating some mystic statement "so, you do this to get your opponent off balance"....

overall i do enjoy it though....and to those saying you wish they'd just go all out....if you watched the karate episode and looked at their hands and bloody clothes afterwards...they may not be going "120-i-want-to-kill-you-%", but they're certainly not holding it all back either.....

Blarg 08-11-2007 02:56 PM

Yeah if I recall, the only "holding it back" thing that really stands out -- taking into account that it's really not a show about killing each other -- is the thai boxing episode, where if I recall correctly we didn't see any leg kicks. And leg kicks are a huge feature of thai boxing.