Two Plus Two Newer Archives

Two Plus Two Newer Archives (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/index.php)
-   Sporting Events (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/forumdisplay.php?f=48)
-   -   UM football schedule (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/showthread.php?t=458005)

Lester B 07-23-2007 12:33 AM

UM football schedule

from mgoblue.com:

2007 Michigan Football Schedule
DATE OPPONENT SITE TIME TV
Sat., Sep. 1 Appalachian State Ann Arbor Noon BTN
Sat., Sep. 8 Oregon Ann Arbor 3:30 p.m. ABC
Sat., Sep. 15 Notre Dame Ann Arbor 3:30 p.m. ABC
Sat., Sep. 22 Penn State* Ann Arbor TBA TBA^
Sat., Sep. 29 Northwestern*
Evanston, Ill. TBA TBA^
Sat., Oct. 6 Eastern Michigan Ann Arbor TBA TBA^
Sat., Oct. 13 Purdue* Ann Arbor Noon TBA^
Sat., Oct. 20 Illinois*
Champaign, Ill. 7:00 p.m. CDT TBA^
Sat., Oct. 27 Minnesota* Ann Arbor TBA TBA^
Sat., Nov. 3 Michigan State*
East Lansing, Mich. TBA TBA^
Sat., Nov. 10 Wisconsin*
Madison, Wis. TBA TBA^
Sat., Nov. 17 Ohio State* Ann Arbor TBA TBA^

Schedule is subject to change

--------------------------

They have their softest schedule in years with ND and OSU both on the rebound and both games in Ann Arbor. In fact, they only have four road games scheduled all year. If they can get by Oregon, they may very well run the table this year. The toughest game of the year looks to be Wisconsin, which is at Camp Randall. Wisconsin always plays well late in the season, especially at home. But other than that, their schedule looks unusually soft.

Furthermore, they don't play Iowa this year.

Discuss if you care to.

ADLinden 07-23-2007 12:42 AM

Re: UM football schedule

its 12:42 am and michigan still sucks

Lester B 07-23-2007 12:44 AM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Blow me. Have fun at the Alamo Bowl this December.

TalkingDonkey 07-23-2007 12:49 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Blow me. Have fun at the San Diego County Credit Union Poinsettia Bowl this December.

[/ QUOTE ]

FYP

let us gogogogogogogogo big blue

MyTurn2Raise 07-23-2007 02:30 AM

losable games

Oregon
Penn St
Illinois
Wisconsin
Ohio St

MyTurn2Raise 07-23-2007 02:38 AM

here's my predicted lines based on current information
NA v Appalachian State--this is too lopsided for me--
-6 v Oregon
-9.5 v Notre Dame
-5 v Penn State
-14.5 @ Northwestern
-32 v Eastern Michigan
-13.5 v Purdue
-8 @ Illinois
-15 v Minnesota
-15.5 @ Michigan St
+2.5 @ Wisconsin
-3 v tOSU

TalkingDonkey 07-23-2007 03:03 AM

[ QUOTE ]

Illinois

[/ QUOTE ]

no

bottomset 07-23-2007 03:09 AM

[ QUOTE ]
In fact, they only have four road games scheduled

[/ QUOTE ]

one of the most annoying things about college football, the top teams are all pussies and play unbalanced Home/Away schedules

vhawk01 07-23-2007 03:10 AM

[ QUOTE ]
-6 v Oregon
-9.5 v Notre Dame
-5 v Penn State
-14.5 @ Northwestern
-32 v Eastern Michigan
-13.5 v Purdue
-8 @ Illinois
-15 v Minnesota
-15.5 @ Michigan St
+2.5 @ Wisconsin
-3 v tOSU

[/ QUOTE ]

Any easy way to turn this into an 'undefeated' parlay and see how likely it is?

damaniac 07-23-2007 08:23 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

one of the most annoying things about college football, the top teams are all pussies and play unbalanced Home/Away schedules

[/ QUOTE ]

I get tired of this. It's really more about money than anything else. Football funds all the other sports (and administrators' salaries), and they get, I dunno, several million per home game in tickets and such. Sure, you want home games against patsies so you can coast, but really they need the cash. Further, this extends to most lower-tier teams. This is why Michigan is playing App State: late change in the schedule (no more Vandy) and no one else wants to go to Ann Arbor because even the mediocre DI major teams (Minnesota, for ex, although since they're in the B10 they don't count for this) are also looking to maximize home games for revenue.

Also, while I love talking about all things Michigan, did we need a new thread for this? At the very least, just make it the official Michigan Wolverines 2007 thread or something.

Lester B 07-23-2007 10:14 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Also, while I love talking about all things Michigan, did we need a new thread for this? At the very least, just make it the official Michigan Wolverines 2007 thread or something.

[/ QUOTE ]

Have there been other similar discussions? I don't read this forum every day, nor did I search.

Ask a mod to change the title of the thread if you deem it necessary.

Lester B 07-23-2007 10:39 AM

[ QUOTE ]
losable games

Oregon
Penn St
Illinois
Wisconsin
Ohio St

[/ QUOTE ]

Oregon, maybe. UM always struggles against west coast teams, but the game is in Ann Arbor, so I think they will get by Oregon.

Penn State? I don't think so. PSU won nine games last year, but all against 2nd tier teams. Furthermore, PSU got whipped by a sorry ass ND team last year. The BigTen was pretty soft last year, and probably will be this year. That, and UM owns PSU. Michigan has not lost to them since '96. I think Michigan State has a better chance against UM than PSU does.

Illinois? Are you just saying something stupid to try to be provocative? They haven't won more than three games in a season in four years.

Wisconsin - 16 returning starters and a late season game in Madison is hard to argue with. But UW lost Stocco and Joe Thomas after last season. Rumor has it there isn't a lot of experience among the incoming quarterbacks. This will probably be UM's toughest game.

OSU - They only return 10 starters, but they have history on their side. The game is in Ann Arbor though, and there are a lot of motivated seniors that haven't beat OSU yet. SO I give the edge to UM in this one.

TruFloridaGator 07-23-2007 11:44 AM

Post in the CF thread, more discussion about more teams.

damaniac 07-23-2007 11:52 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Post in the CF thread, more discussion about more teams.

[/ QUOTE ]

Seconded. Although once the season starts, I think having conference-specific threads might not be a bad way to go.

polkaface 07-23-2007 12:34 PM

[ QUOTE ]
-6 v Oregon
-9.5 v Notre Dame
-5 v Penn State
-14.5 @ Northwestern
-32 v Eastern Michigan
-13.5 v Purdue
-8 @ Illinois
-15 v Minnesota
-15.5 @ Michigan St
+2.5 @ Wisconsin
-3 v tOSU

[/ QUOTE ]

Appalachian State is not D1-A so I doubt there will be a line for it. Although some renegade offshore places might have it, most will not (but Vegas will most likely not have a line).

kyro 07-23-2007 12:44 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Penn State? I don't think so. PSU won nine games last year, but all against 2nd tier teams. Furthermore, PSU got whipped by a sorry ass ND team last year. The BigTen was pretty soft last year, and probably will be this year. That, and UM owns PSU. Michigan has not lost to them since '96. I think Michigan State has a better chance against UM than PSU does.

[/ QUOTE ]

Well this is just silly.

jstnrgrs 07-23-2007 12:49 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I think it would be good if they required teams to play equal numbers of home/away games. Or at least equal over a two year period.

FlyWf 07-23-2007 01:06 PM

But the crappy little cupcakes don't want to play at home. The 100k capacity stadiums should have more games played in them than the 15k capacity D1-AA bleachers. A cupcake will make more going to Ann Arbor, Columbus, or Knoxville than they would if the traditional power came to them.

wh1t3bread 07-23-2007 01:45 PM

[ QUOTE ]
But the crappy little cupcakes don't want to play at home. The 100k capacity stadiums should have more games played in them than the 15k capacity D1-AA bleachers. A cupcake will make more going to Ann Arbor, Columbus, or Knoxville than they would if the traditional power came to them.

[/ QUOTE ]

A I-A team would never come to an FCS stadium. Actually according to most I-A conference rules they aren't allowed to travel to a FCS stadium even if they could make more money than playing at home.

The only thing you might see is a I-A team playing a FCS team at a neutral site. Apparently tOSU and Youngstown State have been discussing this possibility in a future season.

Dudd 07-23-2007 02:44 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

The obvious solution to this problem is to stop playing so many damn cupcakes.

Needle77 07-23-2007 02:50 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Blame that on the NCAA for making teams go to 12+ games.

Dudd 07-23-2007 03:16 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Blame that on the NCAA for making teams go to 12+ games.

[/ QUOTE ]

Please, if USC can do it, everyone can do it.

FlyWf 07-23-2007 03:38 PM

I expect to see neutral site games become much more common, especially when it comes to setting up home and homes with smaller I-A schools. Wisconsin played "@" Bowling Green in Cleveland, and OSU is going to play Toledo there in 2009.

I'm not entirely sure what the deal is with the Jacksonville FSU/Alabama game, but NFL stadiums are plenty big enough to create a sufficient paycheck to get powers on the road.

The cupcakes want to play the powers, the powers realize that voters are morons, everyone wins.

damaniac 07-23-2007 03:58 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I expect to see neutral site games become much more common, especially when it comes to setting up home and homes with smaller I-A schools. Wisconsin played "@" Bowling Green in Cleveland, and OSU is going to play Toledo there in 2009.

I'm not entirely sure what the deal is with the Jacksonville FSU/Alabama game, but NFL stadiums are plenty big enough to create a sufficient paycheck to get powers on the road.

The cupcakes want to play the powers, the powers realize that voters are morons, everyone wins.

[/ QUOTE ]

I really hate the neutral thing. One of the best things about college is the atmosphere; not least of which is the large student presence. You lose that if you play far from home (see ND playing WSU in San Antonio). Also, as a student (albeit for my final year), I'd be livid if they moved a top game out of AA and to some place several hundred miles away.

Finally, re: App St, yeah they're I-AA and they suck (although #1 in I-AA), but they will be far, far better than Eastern. Not that that means much, but I'm just saying.

MyTurn2Raise 07-23-2007 04:51 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

Illinois

[/ QUOTE ]

no

[/ QUOTE ]

definitely losable
--a couple of analysts/magazines have picked it as the big10 upset of the year

Michigan wins about 70% of the time according to the numbers I have right now. Illinois matches up well in this one.

MyTurn2Raise 07-23-2007 04:53 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
-6 v Oregon
-9.5 v Notre Dame
-5 v Penn State
-14.5 @ Northwestern
-32 v Eastern Michigan
-13.5 v Purdue
-8 @ Illinois
-15 v Minnesota
-15.5 @ Michigan St
+2.5 @ Wisconsin
-3 v tOSU

[/ QUOTE ]

Any easy way to turn this into an 'undefeated' parlay and see how likely it is?

[/ QUOTE ]

well...you need a database that aligns how much a line like that wins a game. Actually, you need more as you need a projected total to get the range of possible scores to help figure deviations from median outcome.

the error rate will be huge

roughly, <5%

illini43 07-23-2007 04:56 PM

The tide is turning in Champaign, IL this year...

TomCollins 07-23-2007 05:00 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

tOSU also did this about 4 years ago against Cincinnati playing them in Paul Brown Stadium.

MyTurn2Raise 07-23-2007 05:06 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
losable games

Oregon
Penn St
Illinois
Wisconsin
Ohio St

[/ QUOTE ]

Oregon, maybe. UM always struggles against west coast teams, but the game is in Ann Arbor, so I think they will get by Oregon.

Illinois? Are you just saying something stupid to try to be provocative? They haven't won more than three games in a season in four years.

Wisconsin - 16 returning starters and a late season game in Madison is hard to argue with. But UW lost Stocco and Joe Thomas after last season. Rumor has it there isn't a lot of experience among the incoming quarterbacks. This will probably be UM's toughest game.

OSU - They only return 10 starters, but they have history on their side. The game is in Ann Arbor though, and there are a lot of motivated seniors that haven't beat OSU yet. SO I give the edge to UM in this one.

[/ QUOTE ]

well...Michigan will likely be favored in all but one game. But, to borrow from poker, the best hand doesn't always stand up.

You are quite mistaken that the big11ten is weaker than last year. It is much, much tougher. The only reason Michigan and Wisky got so far last year was they didn't have many losable games as the middle of the big11ten sucked ass.
So, let's say Michigan and Wisconsin this year = tOSU and Michigan of last year. Penn State is much better than last year. They get Austin Scott back (remember the orange bowl v FSU?) and have the talent out at WR. The question is will Morelli develop. Well, he looks a whole lot better going into this year than Robinson did going into the Orange Bowl year. Since bringing in uberoffensive coordinator Galen Hall, Penn St has its offensive mojo back. tOSU this year equals Wisky of last year. They have a tenacious defense lead by Lauranitis. The offense will take some time to get but Boeckman is highly thought of and Beanie Wells and Brian Robiskie are the real deal. tOSU has stocked up on recruits the last few years. Their program just reloads. Iowa will be better. They were driven apart by the lack of a breakout receiver and Drew Tate's inability to look downfield after the rib injury in week 3(?). In the bowl game v Texas, they found the breakout receiver. The back-up QB looks good. They bring back a ton of starters and fill in the missing gaps with players from a top 10 recruiting class a few years ago. Purdue will be much stronger. They bring back nearly everyone from a decent bowl squad. A full year's experience is great for Painter in Tiller's system. Their o-line was fantastic last year and is back almost intact. Illinois will be light years ahead of an underrated squad from last year. Phil Steele has Illinois the #2 improved team in the country. Honestly, Illinois should've been 5-7 or 6-6 last year if you look at most the metrics. Unfortunately, they had a horrible +/- (partly their fault and partly bad luck in a number that shows lots of mean reversion the next year). They fill in the missing offensive threat with the #1 WR recruit in the country (who has been dominant in spring and summer work). They bring back almost the entire o-line from the squad that led the big11ten in ypc. They bring back 9 starters on defense and all the better players from an above average squad. The majority of news mags have Illinois a bowl team this year. While Michigan should still beat the Illini, a road game v a legit bowl contender is almost always a losable game (see SC at Oregon State last year).

I think Michigan is very, very good. However, the depth of the Big11Ten is back. It's tough to have to go out there and win week after week after week...see Florida and LSU of last season.

MicroBob 07-23-2007 05:15 PM

Doesn't it make more sense that they played in Paul Brown Stadium because it can hold more fans than UC's regular stadium at Nippert?

This isn't really a 'neutral' field as it were imo.
It's the Bearcats choosing to play their home game in the city's biggest venue (just a few miles from their regular home-field of Nippert Stadium).

I remember going to a UC vs. Miami (Ohio) Thanksgiving football game in 1984 or so that was at Riverfront Stadium. I don't believe this was considered a neutral-field game either although perhaps it was.

edit - Okay, wait.
Tom, are you saying this was an OSU home-game that they elected to play at PB Stadium? I vaguely remember the game but I completely forgot all the details about whose game it was, etc?

TomCollins 07-23-2007 05:36 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Doesn't it make more sense that they played in Paul Brown Stadium because it can hold more fans than UC's regular stadium at Nippert?

This isn't really a 'neutral' field as it were imo.
It's the Bearcats choosing to play their home game in the city's biggest venue (just a few miles from their regular home-field of Nippert Stadium).

I remember going to a UC vs. Miami (Ohio) Thanksgiving football game in 1984 or so that was at Riverfront Stadium. I don't believe this was considered a neutral-field game either although perhaps it was.

edit - Okay, wait.
Tom, are you saying this was an OSU home-game that they elected to play at PB Stadium? I vaguely remember the game but I completely forgot all the details about whose game it was, etc?

[/ QUOTE ]

It's similar to the situations but the location is not as neutral as it would otherwise be. It was a UC home game officially, but it was not their traditional venue. The games mentioned above are not considered neutral as well.

O Fen�meno 07-23-2007 05:55 PM

You have the wrong UM

09/01/07 vs. Marshall TV Miami, Fla. 12:00 p.m. ET
09/08/07 at Oklahoma TV Norman, Ok 12:00 p.m. ET
09/15/07 vs. Florida International TV Miami, Fla. 3:30 p.m. ET
09/20/07 vs. Texas A&M TV Miami, Fla. 7:30 p.m. ET
09/29/07 vs. Duke Miami, Fla. TBA
10/06/07 at North Carolina * Chapel Hill, NC TBA
10/13/07 vs. Georgia Tech Miami, Fla. TBA
10/20/07 at Florida State Tallahassee, Fla. TBA
11/03/07 vs. North Carolina State Miami, Fla. TBA
11/10/07 vs. Virginia Miami, Fla. TBA
11/17/07 at Virginia Tech Blacksburg, Va. TBA
11/24/07 at Boston College * Chestnut Hill, Mass. TBA

TalkingDonkey 07-23-2007 06:12 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

Illinois

[/ QUOTE ]

no

[/ QUOTE ]

definitely losable
--a couple of analysts/magazines have picked it as the big10 upset of the year

Michigan wins about 70% of the time according to the numbers I have right now. Illinois matches up well in this one.

[/ QUOTE ]

The only way I see Michigan losing to UofI is in a crazy wild shootout where both QBs throw for 400 yards and like 6 TDs. Benn will help Illinois' offense tremendously, but his impact also depends on how much Juice has improved from last year. I just don't see how Illinois' D is going to have an answer for the Henne-Hart-Manningham juggernaut. Don't get me wrong, I do think Illinois will be a .500+ team this season but they're still a class below Michigan and Wisconsin in the Big 10.

Ponies 07-23-2007 06:23 PM

Why do people call schools stuff like UM?
It could be like 50 different schools depending on where u are.

TalkingDonkey 07-23-2007 06:41 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Why do people call schools stuff like UM?
It could be like 50 different schools depending on where u are.

[/ QUOTE ]

Montana = not D1
Mississippi = Ole Miss
Missouri = Mizzou
Massachusetts = UMass
Minnesota = Who gives a [censored]

Stop being a nit, when it comes to football, there's only one UM.

MicroBob 07-23-2007 06:43 PM

Way less than 50 D1 UM's:

Michigan Wolverines
Minnesota Golden Gophers
Memphis Tigers
Maryland Terps
Mizzou Tigers
Miami Hurricanes
Mississippi Rebels

Also: Maine Black Bears and Montana Grizzlies

MicroBob 07-23-2007 06:44 PM

ha - donkey beat me to it.

jgunnip 07-23-2007 07:10 PM

Glad I stuck around for another year with this sick home schedule.

Games that scare me.

@Michigan State
@Illinois
@Wisconsin
Ohio State

No question the offense is going to put up the numbers but who knows what is going to happen on the defensive side of the ball. If guys like Will Johnson, Austin Panter, and Donovan Warren and step in and be effective an undefeated season isn't out of the question but Michigan always seems to struggle in night games on the road so Illinois and Wiscy will be tough. MSU will probably be a 2-3 TD win but you never know in this game. And obv OSU cause there's the whole jim tressel mindfuck thing going on.

also, I'm pretty sure I'm the only person in the world stoked about the appalachin state game as I think it'll be tougher than another Vandy game. Also we'll get good saragin points for the win.

MicroBob 07-23-2007 08:45 PM

what am I missing? Why would Michigan get good Sagarin points for beating Appy St? Wouldn't their schedule end up hurting Michigan.

edit - okay, Appy St finished 53rd in the Sagarin ratings last year going 14-1 so that's not bad at all.
And a lot of so-so AA teams still were in the top 100 so even if Appy loses 2 or 3 games this yr their rating should still be top 100 but obviously not that great.

Better than scheduling a true cupcake though.

Dudd 07-23-2007 08:46 PM

Appalachian St finished mid-50s last year in Sagarin's rankings, ahead of Vanderbilt, who was in the 60's.