Two Plus Two Newer Archives

Two Plus Two Newer Archives (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/index.php)
-   High Stakes MTT (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/forumdisplay.php?f=89)
-   -   A9o on the button with limper (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/showthread.php?t=456185)

betgo 07-20-2007 03:23 PM

A9o on the button with limper

$300 live MTT. Original stacks 6K. I have 3400. Blinds 100/200. New to table. Mid position limper. I have A9o on the button. What do I do?

woodguy 07-20-2007 04:08 PM

Re: A9o on the button with limper

Cram it

betgo 07-20-2007 04:12 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Cram it

[/ QUOTE ]Seriously, push at the 500 pot with no ante? I didn't think of pushing. I wasn't sure whether to raise, limp, or fold.

JFJB 07-20-2007 04:30 PM

When I think about a limping range I do not see to many hands that can call an all in there. If you push here you rake 500 very often which is a good return for a 3400 shove without that much of a risk.

07-20-2007 04:30 PM

[ QUOTE ]
$300 live MTT. Original stacks 6K. I have 3400. Blinds 100/200. New to table. Mid position limper. I have A9o on the button. What do I do?

[/ QUOTE ]

Raise/fold to 550 or so. I really hate limping here.

woodguy 07-20-2007 04:56 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Seriously, push at the 500 pot with no ante? I didn't think of pushing. I wasn't sure whether to raise, limp, or fold.

[/ QUOTE ]

Its a15% addition to your stack, not insignificant.

I dislike limping behind, and making it 800 to go leaves you with an akward stack for c-betting.

I'm not folding.....so I cram.

Gee Betgo, thought you wouldn't be against an overjam, that's usually up your alley, no?

Regards,
Woodguy

07-20-2007 05:14 PM

Ah, missed that there was a limper. I'm actually folding this pretty often... is that really bad?

woodguy 07-20-2007 05:27 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Ah, missed that there was a limper. I'm actually folding this pretty often... is that really bad?

[/ QUOTE ]

Live yes, on the interwebs....depends

fnurt 07-20-2007 05:38 PM

I push in the dark. By which I mean, I didn't actually read the post.

celticslegend 07-20-2007 07:38 PM

with no read on the limper and our stack, I prob fold as well.

WarDekar 07-20-2007 07:50 PM

I jam and am happy to do so.... Is that bad?

celticslegend 07-20-2007 08:47 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

This presumably means you are also shoving pretty much all broadway hands, hands like A8 and other suited Axs, and most pairs. Which seems fine with an ante, but with no ante seems like a spew.

pacecar86 07-20-2007 11:36 PM

betgo, what are the effective stacks, and how fast are the rounds?

0evg0 07-21-2007 12:08 AM

Jam was my initial reaction and I'm glad to see others do it too.

flyingmoose 07-21-2007 01:00 AM

What I do depends a lot on what I think his limping range is. If it's live then I'm not focusing on 7 other tables and presumably I have some idea of what his limping range is, unless he just moved to the table an orbit ago or something.

Online I'd fold a lot and cram sometimes.

WarDekar 07-21-2007 01:09 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

This presumably means you are also shoving pretty much all broadway hands, hands like A8 and other suited Axs, and most pairs. Which seems fine with an ante, but with no ante seems like a spew.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah... I'm pretty sure I'm fine with jamming those hands... no-antes is obviously a detractor to jamming, but regardless we aren't exactly that deep (17BB, right?) and I'll glady take the pot as is...

Depending on who the limpers are and who the blinds are I'll shove like... any two in this spot. If it's someone that will call somewhat light (or at least somewhat correct) I won't shove lighter, but generally I think shoving in this spot is +EV.

betgo 07-21-2007 02:38 AM

I really think you will find better places to make a loose push at limpers. There is only one limper and two players to act. Why not push at a bunch of limpers. Also, if you push at limpers too much, you will get called down and people will limp big hands.

0evg0 07-21-2007 02:43 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I really think you will find better places

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm sorry, is there a maximum number of +cEV plays we are allowed to make each tournament?

betgo 07-21-2007 02:45 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm sorry, is there a maximum number of +cEV plays we are allowed to make each tournament?

[/ QUOTE ]

I just explained that if you overbet push every time someone limps, you will get called and trapped. Save the play for a better situation.

WarDekar 07-21-2007 02:56 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I just explained that if you overbet push every time someone limps, you will get called and trapped. Save the play for a better situation.

[/ QUOTE ]

A.) You aren't going to be at the same table as a lot of these players for very long

B.) You give them too much credit for realizing you do this

C.) They aren't gonna think a ton of it unless you start shoving over every limp, and A9 is a perfectly fine hand to push anyway

D.) So?? Next time HOPEFULLY you have a better hand than A9 and you shove something like JJ and they call with AT, or similar situation you shove AQ and get called by AJ, whatever, it's not necessarily a horrible thing that they realize you shoved light a couple times

E.) Again, I think you're giving opponents way too much credit, as I don't know how many times I've shoved over at the same table in similar spots and never been called - people hate calling shoves, and usually when a player limps it screams weakness not strength

F.) Players a lot of times will think "Ohh... he JSUT shoved, and now he's shoving again, he HAS to have something good this time, right??"

THEOSU 07-21-2007 04:45 AM

i limp a lot because i'm gonna be able to take an 800 chip pot iwth a 500 chip bet an awful lot on the flop, and every so often i'll even flop the best hand.

0evg0 07-21-2007 07:40 AM

I once shoved 13 hands in a row on the FT bubble of a live MTT.

I was called 2 times.

I had someone show me that they folded AK with 3xbb left.

I showed them J4o.

That was only 5 hands into pushing non-stop.

True story.

betgo 07-21-2007 10:59 AM

Anyway, I limped behind (good position but bad hand to do it with). The flop comes A64 with a 2-flush, giving me a bakdoor nut flush draw. SB leads out for 400 and limper calls. What do I do?

ZJ123 07-21-2007 11:08 AM

If your not shoving here, then why are you calling?

betgo 07-21-2007 11:11 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I once shoved 13 hands in a row on the FT bubble of a live MTT.

I was called 2 times.

I had someone show me that they folded AK with 3xbb left.

I showed them J4o.

That was only 5 hands into pushing non-stop.

True story.

[/ QUOTE ]
This is didfferent than the final table bubble. The play is pretty loose at this stage. I would much rather push at a bunch of limpers with worse cards than push here with A9. The push is pretty marginal. I want to push a lot, so I would avoid situations like this. I am concerned both that I will get called and that people will limp big hands if the push is often coming. I don't see how people won't notice if you keep overbet pushing and there is no way they credit you for a big hand after that.

betgo 07-21-2007 11:12 AM

[ QUOTE ]
If your not shoving here, then why are you calling?

[/ QUOTE ]
Maybe a bad play, but I had position.

Caldarooni 07-21-2007 11:49 AM

Calling seems like the worst option available.

registrar 07-21-2007 12:04 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Smirk. Minraise. C-bet. Profit.

Maybe make it a little more than a minraise. Anyway, raise so you're heads up and can c-bet the flop without committing yourself.

As played, go broke.

betgo 07-21-2007 05:42 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Smirk. Minraise. C-bet. Profit.

Maybe make it a little more than a minraise. Anyway, raise so you're heads up and can c-bet the flop without committing yourself.

As played, go broke.

[/ QUOTE ]
Done. I raise the flop to 1500, SB pushes, I call, and SB shows AKo (?!), which holds up. I was thinking maybe I misplayed the flop or got in trouble limping A9o, but I don't know now.

markysals11 07-21-2007 07:06 PM

i just open fold, don't like shoving that many bb's w/ no antes, and certainly hate limping

Superfluous Man 07-21-2007 10:55 PM

First, fnurt is quickly becoming one of my favorites in this forum. Please mock betgo more; just because it's easy doesn't mean it isn't funny!

Second, I suspect that shoving is close to +EV face up. So...shoving face down is definitely +EV. Folding here really sucks noodles. I mean, it's live, limper will fold lower pairs and probably AT. Unless you have some super great strong tell on the limper or the people acting behind you, sticking it in here is mandatory.

Oh by the way calling sucks. Sure you have position, but you won't really be able to play it profitably postflop.

WarDekar 07-21-2007 11:18 PM

Oh [censored]... I missed the fact that it's a live tournament, definitely shove as players are folding like AT, AJ, and depending on the player possibly even AQ and AK here.