Two Plus Two Newer Archives

Two Plus Two Newer Archives (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/index.php)
-   Tournament Circuit/WSOP (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/forumdisplay.php?f=67)
-   -   Fixing the Main Event (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/showthread.php?t=456140)

timmay28 07-20-2007 02:04 PM

Fixing the Main Event

My proposal:

Form a committee of 20 or so people (2+2 forumers?) to construct a list of all of the well-known/semi-known players that have signed up to the main event. This list should include players that have had notable success in the past... no Shannon Elizabeths or Antonio Tarvers. Any borderline people where the committee has disagreements, flip a coin. Put those people into group A. The rest of the signups go into group B. Then have both groups battle it out amongst their own until there are 8 representatives from each. Once that occurs, have two 8 handed, mixed tables... call it the sweet 16 just to be catchy. Then when it's down to 9 players, go to the final table.

I think this would help make watching the main event much more interesting, and still allow nobodies a good shot of winning it too. Sure, the nobodies need to win the ME from time to time so the fish get optimistic, but the downside of them always winning is that it further enforces the stigma that poker is mainly luck and little skill, which is bad for legalization purposes.

Cornell Fiji 07-20-2007 02:06 PM

Re: Fixing the Main Event

This is honestly the worst post I have ever read.

TMTTR 07-20-2007 02:07 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

QFT

rafiki 07-20-2007 02:09 PM

I'll 3rd that. Maybe the worst post I've ever read in this section.

Dranoel 07-20-2007 02:14 PM

It's Tiiiimmmmyyyyy!

/South Park Reference

timmay28 07-20-2007 02:15 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img] Ok, then hurt me and elaborate on why. You like the current structure where the final table will often be lucky to have one well-known, if that?

SossMan 07-20-2007 02:18 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img] Ok, then hurt me and elaborate on why. You like the current structure where the final table will often be lucky to have one well-known, if that?

[/ QUOTE ]

making FT's is part of becoming "well known"

Nez477 07-20-2007 02:19 PM

lidddlila, liddilaa, timmay

Gobboes?

liddilila

timmay28 07-20-2007 02:22 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

this would allow that, and at the same time make the FT, as well as shark infested group A tables, much more interesting to watch on tv.

rafiki 07-20-2007 02:32 PM

Do you think that with 25 other tournies/shows already featuring all pro final tables, that you need this one to do the same ?

Do you not get how good it is for poker to have a 2 year noob win 8M ?

You must hate money, or not be very good at playing poker...

Dranoel 07-20-2007 02:32 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

this would allow that, and at the same time make the FT, as well as shark infested group A tables, much more interesting to watch on tv.

[/ QUOTE ]

What you are proposing is to start a new tournament.

The Main Event is open to anyone that puts $10,000 on the table to play.

It's the tradition, and I wouldn't have it any other way. If you don't like it- don't watch/participate in it.

YMMV

timmay28 07-20-2007 02:39 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

What you are proposing is to start a new tournament.

The Main Event is open to anyone that puts $10,000 on the table to play.

It's the tradition, and I wouldn't have it any other way. If you don't like it- don't watch/participate in it.

YMMV

[/ QUOTE ]

You're probably right. Now that I think about it some more, it is a dumb idea. But I can't delete this thread now, lol.

The B 07-20-2007 03:09 PM

[ QUOTE ]
call it the sweet 16 just to be catchy.

[/ QUOTE ]

not that "catchy"....the NCAA b-ball tourney has been using this for years

JFJB 07-20-2007 03:15 PM

[ QUOTE ]
This is honestly the worst proposition I have ever read.

[/ QUOTE ]

dcviperboy 07-20-2007 03:18 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

QFT

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

wow, add me to the list plzkthx

Jasper109 07-20-2007 03:31 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
call it the sweet 16 just to be catchy.

[/ QUOTE ]

not that "catchy"....the NCAA b-ball tourney has been using this for years

[/ QUOTE ]

http://i97.photobucket.com/albums/l2...gJP99/orly.jpg

jedi 07-20-2007 03:38 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

It's not the worst post I've read, but I read OOT and BBV4Life too much.

That said, this is the worst post I've seen in the Tournament Circuit/WSOP forum.

J.C. Gloves 07-20-2007 03:54 PM

Painful OP, *sigh*

selurah 07-20-2007 04:00 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Agreed.

timmay28 07-20-2007 04:01 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Painful OP, *sigh*

[/ QUOTE ]

[img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img] not really. Glad to see I'm a legend here already. If we're gonna stretch this thread out, let's make it the longest one in wsop forum history.

TMTTR 07-20-2007 04:08 PM

I am bored so I will expand on my dislike of the idea:

The World Series ain't broke -- so why are you fixin it? (At least it's not broken with regard to the way players enter the tournament. I am sure it is broken in many other ways.)

WSOP is an open event and that is part of the reason it is a success. There are many other events that have different structures or that can use different structures. This isn't the one.

3 VCOs 07-20-2007 04:09 PM

miserable, dreadful post, you are a legend of the worst kind

secretprankster 07-20-2007 04:11 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

hahaha

Dranoel 07-20-2007 04:12 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Signs when a thread is bad? When someone with 17 post history slams you. [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

timmay28 07-20-2007 04:19 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I am bored so I will expand on my dislike of the idea:

The World Series ain't broke -- so why are you fixin it? (At least it's not broken with regard to the way players enter the tournament. I am sure it is broken in many other ways.)

WSOP is an open event and that is part of the reason it is a success. There are many other events that have different structures or that can use different structures. This isn't the one.

[/ QUOTE ]

I fully agree with you. I was bored and haphazardly threw a random idea out there that wasn't thought out too well. At least it is entertaining to the trolls, and their reactions are funny to me as well. "omg worst post ever!"

me ----> [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]

CincyLady 07-20-2007 04:22 PM

As far as the pro's go, they pretty much have created their own event inside the WSOP with the $50k HORSE event.

Personally, I think that's the best way anyway (a HORSE event) to find a World champ, one who is the best all around poker player.

SuperUberBob 07-20-2007 04:31 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

QFT

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

wow, add me to the list plzkthx

[/ QUOTE ]

5th!

ibluffoldladies 07-20-2007 04:40 PM

Well, you heard the man. Let's keep this thread alive to remind our sons and daughters never to be like the original poster.

ProfessorBen 07-20-2007 04:41 PM

Someone make a title suggestion for OP please.

ibluffoldladies 07-20-2007 04:44 PM

how about simply, "Fixing the Main Event". We will never forget.

kailua 07-20-2007 04:57 PM

Is OP propossing that NBA officials be enlisted to make floor decisions?

UATrewqaz 07-20-2007 05:01 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

This is honestly the worst post in the history of the internet, books, or written language period.

Todd Terry 07-20-2007 05:01 PM

One of the things that makes poker great and separates it from most other professions is that it is, assuming that it is a game of skill, a pure meritocracy. Anyone can play, and if they play better than everyone else, they can succeed. It doesn't matter who you know, it doesn't matter what other people think about you. There are no judges to impress, no asses to kiss.

The HORSE event was created so that the clique of players who think they're great and their friends could play against each other, with the buy-in so high that few others would dare enter. Now that two out of the top three in that event were so-called nobodies, they'll have to create yet another "true" world championship of poker.

Creating A and B lists of players and separating them from the rest of the field goes against the true nature of poker IMO. I for one love watching the WSOP and WPT on TV, and can't stand watching invitational events (although this may have to do with the production quality and money at stake as well).

And yes, given that this my second lengthy philosophical post of the day, it would be safe to conclude that I'm extremely bored right now.

GSykes 07-20-2007 05:03 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

You speak the truth

stabn 07-20-2007 05:08 PM

God how sick would your equity be if you were one of the group A list.

Heavens_Myst 07-20-2007 05:23 PM

I could not stop laughing at OP, then i read the thread and I almost died.

Awesome job, OP. This was the worst idea I've ever seen on 2p2, and I'm a bbv'er! CONGRATS !

timmay28 07-20-2007 05:29 PM

[ QUOTE ]
how about simply, "Fixing the Main Event". We will never forget.

[/ QUOTE ]

Or, "Official Post Padding Thread"

Willy 07-20-2007 05:32 PM

[ QUOTE ]
My proposal:

Form a committee of 20 or so people (2+2 forumers?) to construct a list of all of the well-known/semi-known players that have signed up to the main event. This list should include players that have had notable success in the past... no Shannon Elizabeths or Antonio Tarvers. Any borderline people where the committee has disagreements, flip a coin. Put those people into group A. The rest of the signups go into group B. Then have both groups battle it out amongst their own until there are 8 representatives from each. Once that occurs, have two 8 handed, mixed tables... call it the sweet 16 just to be catchy. Then when it's down to 9 players, go to the final table.

I think this would help make watching the main event much more interesting, and still allow nobodies a good shot of winning it too. Sure, the nobodies need to win the ME from time to time so the fish get optimistic, but the downside of them always winning is that it further enforces the stigma that poker is mainly luck and little skill, which is bad for legalization purposes.

[/ QUOTE ]
Thats just stupid. Some have to beat 6000 players and others have to beat 600 players and you propose treating them the same.

timmay28 07-20-2007 05:34 PM

http://pds.jpl.nasa.gov/planets/imag...er/jupiter.jpg

JUPITER

Jupiter is the fourth brightest object in the sky (after the Sun, the Moon and Venus). It has been known since prehistoric times as a bright "wandering star". But in 1610 when Galileo first pointed a telescope at the sky he discovered Jupiter's four large moons Io, Europa, Ganymede and Callisto (now known as the Galilean moons) and recorded their motions back and forth around Jupiter. This was the first discovery of a center of motion not apparently centered on the Earth. It was a major point in favor of Copernicus's heliocentric theory of the motions of the planets (along with other new evidence from his telescope: the phases of Venus and the mountains on the Moon). Galileo's outspoken support of the Copernican theory got him in trouble with the Inquisition. Today anyone can repeat Galileo's observations (without fear of retribution :-) using binoculars or an inexpensive telescope.

Aristotal 07-20-2007 05:36 PM

so..... this isn't a thread about cheating?