Two Plus Two Newer Archives

Two Plus Two Newer Archives (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/index.php)
-   Tournament Circuit/WSOP (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/forumdisplay.php?f=67)
-   -   What did Yang have when Childs folded QQ? (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/showthread.php?t=454328)

DrewDevil 07-18-2007 03:05 PM

What did Yang have when Childs folded QQ?

Has anyone said?

Pokerpun 07-18-2007 03:08 PM

Re: What did Yang have when Childs folded QQ?

Exactly that was the hand that got it all started for yang
When will we get to know the hole cards on the FT?

s33w33d 07-18-2007 03:26 PM

For maximum sickness I'd say JJ, TT. No one knows for sure, other than Yang, of course.

westhoff 07-18-2007 03:38 PM

Just wanted to get down that I think he had AA.

TMTTR 07-18-2007 03:40 PM

[ QUOTE ]
For maximum sickness I'd say JJ, TT. No one knows for sure, other than Yang, of course.

[/ QUOTE ]

And the guys watching the hole cameras for the upcoming ESPN broadcasts (at which time we will all know).

zaxx19 07-18-2007 03:44 PM

AA or KK more leaning towards AA though...something about his posture.

DemonDeac 07-18-2007 03:47 PM

I think Yang had QQ beat

technologic 07-18-2007 03:47 PM

i say when all's said and done, that fold will haunt childs for the rest of his life

Los Feliz Slim 07-18-2007 03:53 PM

[ QUOTE ]
i say when all's said and done, that fold will haunt childs for the rest of his life

[/ QUOTE ]

For this reason I kind of hope Yang had JTs.

fnurt 07-18-2007 03:54 PM

I wouldn't be surprised if it was something like A5 clubs or some other hand that would be pretty much a coinflip.

I don't think I fold there, but all credit to Yang. Putting other people to tough decisions is a huge part of the game.

MyTurn2Raise 07-18-2007 03:54 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I think Yang had QQ beat

[/ QUOTE ]

MLG 07-18-2007 03:56 PM

omg fnurt.
i love your random returns to the forums (have you been back and i missed it).

AngusThermopyle 07-18-2007 03:58 PM

ESPN:
Tuesdays, August 21 until October 9 at 8 and 9 p.m. -- $10,000 main event no-limit hold 'em (Event 55)

So I guess we all find out October 9.

benza13 07-18-2007 03:58 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
I think Yang had QQ beat

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

DrewDevil 07-18-2007 04:02 PM

For the record, I think he had AcKc.

seke2 07-18-2007 04:06 PM

Yang's posturing/timing was SO different on that hand, I thought it was a classic strong means weak tell. I don't think Yang had QQ beat.

jimmytrick 07-18-2007 04:07 PM

It was obv that Yang thought he had a really, really big hand so I am thinking something like AJo.

fnurt 07-18-2007 04:07 PM

[ QUOTE ]
omg fnurt.
i love your random returns to the forums (have you been back and i missed it).

[/ QUOTE ]

No, not at all. But hey, it's WSOP time, which piqued my interest, so I dropped by the forums. I actually didn't even realize the WSOP was going on until I noticed a story on ESPN.com (we have a new baby, so sue me for being out of the loop...).

Funny story actually. I was watching the video feed last night and I kinda got the itch to play a tournament, which I haven't done in a long time (since Party shut down, maybe). So I log onto Stars, but guess what, I have like 28 bucks in my account and of course, it's a huge pain to get money in there any more.

So I start playing a couple $10 SNGs just to use up the money. I finish 1st in a 27-player and like 6th in a 180-player, and now I have like $200. Maybe I'll parlay it into a million zillion bucks, or next year's WSOP title or something. Anyway, good to see a familiar face!

dspholladay 07-18-2007 04:09 PM

I think if Yang didn't have trip 7s then he was beat. No way did he have KK or AA. He admitted in the interview with Norman Chad that he bluffed A LOT and in some big spots.

El Diablo 07-18-2007 04:17 PM

All,

My prediction is Childs will cry when he sees the hand.

Austiger 07-18-2007 04:23 PM

I agree with El D and Technologic. I am curious how much Childs played with Yang in the days leading up to the FT. Once you saw how much Yang overvalued hands and how much he reraised, I don't think you could ever fold that.

Zinzan 07-18-2007 04:39 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I agree with El D and Technologic. I am curious how much Childs played with Yang in the days leading up to the FT. Once you saw how much Yang overvalued hands and how much he reraised, I don't think you could ever fold that.

[/ QUOTE ]

From that hand onwards, he ran over the table more or less. At first review (didn't watch PPV) of hand histories, it sounds like he managed to take marginal chances that he could afford while still captaining the table, much like Jamie Gold last year.

He obviously played well leading up to the final table, but I didn't follow his path... did he play very much like this the whole way through?

-Z

chicken10der 07-18-2007 05:03 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I think Yang had QQ beat

[/ QUOTE ]

agree. his AI raise was instantaneous, and from the rest of the ft, he definitely did not come off as the kind of player that would act that quickly with anything that QQ beat.

southgapoker 07-18-2007 05:09 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

southgapoker 07-18-2007 05:10 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I wouldn't be surprised if it was something like A5 clubs or some other hand that would be pretty much a coinflip.

I don't think I fold there, but all credit to Yang. Putting other people to tough decisions is a huge part of the game.

[/ QUOTE ]
I don't think this should have been a tough decision.

AngusThermopyle 07-18-2007 05:12 PM

Before Hand #1:

Raymond Rahme - 16.32 million
Alex Kravchenko - 6.57 million
Lee Childs - 13.24 million
Jerry Yang - 8.45 million
Lee Watkinson - 9.925 million
Tuan Lam - 21.315 million
Philip Hilm - 22.07 million
Jon Kalmar - 20.32 million
Hevad 'Rain' Khan - 9.205 million

QQ hand was #11. Puts
Jerry Yang ~ 20 million

After winning a big pot in hand #14,
Jerry Yang ~ 25 million

After Hand #15 (Hilm knocked out)

Raymond Rahme - 16.28 million
Alex Kravchenko - 4.89 million
Lee Childs - 6.69 million
Jerry Yang - 44.88 million
Lee Watkinson - 9.295 million
Tuan Lam - 20.775 million
Jon Kalmar - 17.51 million
Hevad 'Rain' Khan - 7.095 million

After Hand #21 (Watkinson knocked out)

Raymond Rahme - 15.74 million
Alex Kravchenko - 4.95 million
Lee Childs - 6.15 million
Jerry Yang - 55.015 million
Tuan Lam - 20.595 million
Jon Kalmar - 17.21 million
Hevad 'Rain' Khan - 7.755 million

skiier04 07-18-2007 05:22 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
I don't think Yang had QQ beat

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

MyTurn2Raise 07-18-2007 05:22 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

IIRC, Yang didn't play like that at all in getting to the final table. The rep on him was weak-tight. I could be wrong.

grando 07-18-2007 05:27 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

IIRC, Yang didn't play like that at all in getting to the final table. The rep on him was weak-tight. I could be wrong.

[/ QUOTE ]

no you're completely right

other than being a little aggressive, yang hadn't gotten out of line whatsoever during the hands prior

in the wsop thread, the consensus seemed that it was a good fold

s33w33d 07-18-2007 05:39 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

no you're completely right

other than being a little aggressive, yang hadn't gotten out of line whatsoever during the hands prior

in the wsop thread, the consensus seemed that it was a good fold

[/ QUOTE ]

Which begs the question, either the deck totally clobbered him early on, or he decided to go totally apeshit and start crushing people. The former is much easier to believe in the latter, which means he could have QQ crushed.

He could also have JJ or TT and believed he was far ahead.

ericicecream 07-18-2007 05:51 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

stan1541 07-18-2007 05:55 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
Ditto

Whitewash 07-18-2007 06:00 PM

That was a weird insta-AI from Yang considering he was very deliberate with his decisions every other hand.

sweetjazz 07-18-2007 06:39 PM

The way he played this hand seemed more consistent with the way he played A3s and 44 as described in his interview -- I'm going to put all my chips in no matter what and please God let it work out for me. I really doubt he had QQ beat and I don't think he necessarily had to have a flush draw there either.

Of course some of this is hindsight bias, but given that he came out with a kamikaze approach in the first orbit, I think you have to get it in there with QQ. There's just too good of a chance he has a worse hand that he thinks is good + he's making a pure bluff + it's just not that easy to pick up AA/KK. The hand is way different if Childs get reraised by Watkinson UTG+2 instead of Yang; then I can easily see not committing my stack with QQ on a 742 flop.

betgo 07-18-2007 06:53 PM

I think Childs was probably ahead. There is a good chance Yang had KK/AA, but he could have AK, a mid pp, or some junk.

I don't think Yang had 22-88, as he would probably call and play for a set against the UTG raiser. If he was making a play, he probably had something like a suited connector/gapper, Axs, Ks or broadway cards.

Yang could have had a read Childs was weak/tight from playing him the previous day and was making a play with any 2 cards. If so, it will become one of the most famous hands ever, and Yang's reputation as a player will be enhanced.

PokerFink 07-18-2007 07:00 PM

I'm with ElD and Doug. No idea what Yang had, but I really, really doubt it beat QQ.

That fold (and the 8 Yang spiked) will haunt Childs for the rest of his life. Which really sucks.

gvegas 07-18-2007 07:04 PM

"its just not that easy to pick up AA/KK"

actually at a nine handed table, one of your opponents will have AA or KK around 8% of the time. Not exactly like getting struck by lightning.

betgo 07-18-2007 07:06 PM

[ QUOTE ]
"its just not that easy to pick up AA/KK"

actually at a nine handed table, one of your opponents will have AA or KK around 8% of the time. Not exactly like getting struck by lightning.

[/ QUOTE ]
Yeh, I wouldn't be suprised to see AA/KK. AK is also quite likely.

heffmike 07-18-2007 07:12 PM

Re: What did Yang have when Childs folded QQ? 44? no way

first timer - if you want to believe this interview with Norman Chad - no reason to lie,
reraise an UTG raiser with 44. Geez. God is great, I guess...

http://blogs.tampabay.com/poker/2007...mment-76364328

[ QUOTE ]

Hey Lee,

Great lay down!! If you listen to Jerry's interview with Norman Chad he said he was in a hand where he had 4-4 and he prayed to the lord for a set, and the lord gave it to him. He also said that "the guy" had QQ, so I'm assuming that he was talking about that hand, since there was a 4 on the flop.

[/ QUOTE ]

EDIT: haven't listened to the interview myself yet. anyone out there DVR it and confirm he's talking about this hand and not some other random hand?

technologic 07-18-2007 07:20 PM

i think once you commit that much of your stack in the pot on that board, you have to call there. too much of a chance he could be bluffing/overvaluing a worse hand.

i don't know much about yang's image prior, or if childs had a lot of history with him, but IIRC yang had gotten a bit feisty the orbit before the QQ hand.

if you play the hand preflop, why are you calling the raise OOP? what's the point in a lead if you're going to fold to an all in? although i wouldn't be too surprised to see AA/KK, i feel that this is a part of his MUCH larger range.