Two Plus Two Newer Archives

Two Plus Two Newer Archives (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/index.php)
-   Other Other Topics (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/forumdisplay.php?f=36)
-   -   What price for friendship: $100 for you or $1000 for a friend? (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/showthread.php?t=453196)

sonneti 07-17-2007 09:02 AM

What price for friendship: $100 for you or $1000 for a friend?

A stranger on the street approaches you offers you $100 but if you accept one of your best friends will not be given $1000. They will not find out about your deal, you can't tell them or they will lose the $1000.

Do you accept the $100?

For the 2nd question what is your cut off point? How much would you give to your friend before you are tempted to take the 10% deal?

Edit: Changed to best friend(s)

4_2_it 07-17-2007 09:06 AM

Re: What price for friendship: $100 for you or $1000 for a friend?

$100 doesn't mean that much. Get up to $20k and it starts becoming interesting.

NoMeansYes_ 07-17-2007 09:15 AM

what if you have no friends? can I have the money anyway?

XXXNoahXXX 07-17-2007 09:46 AM

Strangely, I'd take 10k or $1M and that it. Nothing above or below or inbetween.

$100k for him is a lot, but I could pay off all my CC debt with 10k.

When it comes to $1M, I could do a lot with that, help my family out a ton, buy my parents a house etc, and he'll never have to know. He's fine, his family is well off, who cares about them. My dad is 68 and still working 65 hour weeks.

In between its just not enough money and anything more, like 5M:50M, my friend would take care of me anyways.

citanul 07-17-2007 11:21 AM

king of nits: original post doesn't say that if we don't take the money friend WILL be given money, it just says if we take it he WON'T. so, since we have no information saying that our friend will be given anything ever, just take the loot.

Cornell Fiji 07-17-2007 12:05 PM

I'm a utilitarian.

I think that the overall happiness that my friend will gain from 10x the money that I am passing up is significantly greater than the amount of happiness that I will gain from 1/10y of the money that my friend could gain.

I might be able to reconcile this if I was getting 9mil to his 10mil but at 1/10 there is no chance as his utility would be so much greater than the utility I am passing up.

Humble Pie 07-17-2007 12:15 PM

Seems like the move is always passing on the $, no matter the amount.

jthegreat 07-17-2007 12:16 PM

^^ Exactly. Unless you want to add the caveat that your friend won't know you are responsible for them getting all the money, you're golden since a good friend will always share.

The Hag 07-17-2007 12:19 PM

Good poll, I can't answer the second question, it depends what friend and what they would do with it.... But somewhere round 10K 20K I think....

jaffa 07-17-2007 12:41 PM

I'm an awful person who doesn't deserve friends.

Duke 07-17-2007 12:47 PM

The results are sick.

Case Closed 07-17-2007 12:50 PM

I would always pass on the money. If my best friend some how recieved 1k I know that I would see at least a hundred of that through random good times. If he gets like a million or something I know we will have a much better time together than if I got 100k.

bigscore 07-17-2007 01:32 PM

i would give my friend as much as possible, then have him give me half

Gobias Ind. 07-17-2007 02:40 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I'm a utilitarian.

I think that the overall happiness that my friend will gain from 10x the money that I am passing up is significantly greater than the amount of happiness that I will gain from 1/10y of the money that my friend could gain.

[/ QUOTE ]

I wholeheartedly agree with this assessment, until we reach the $1M. With that kind of money, I could buy a lot of happiness for those around me, including my family. Then it turns into a debate between choosing your family or your closest friends.

I don't know about other people, but in my circle:
Family/Best friends/GFs are all separate entities. My closest friends just can't provide me with things a serious gf can (besides sex). Although I love my family to death, they'll never understand me on a level that some of my closest friends will.

captZEEbo 07-17-2007 04:19 PM

[ QUOTE ]
i would give my friend as much as possible, then have him give me half

[/ QUOTE ]then he'd forfeit the $.

Klompy 07-17-2007 04:52 PM

People who voted you wouldn't take anything at 1:10,

Did you vote this because you really wouldn't take anything at this ratio? Or is it that none of the options where high enough for you? Everyone has to have a certain number that they'd take IMO even if it's 1 billion seeing as at this point you'd be able to give your friend a ton of money anyways to the point that neither of you would ever have to worry about money again.

I'm selfish, and think I'd take it once it gets to about 10k. If I was confident enough that any of my friends would actually spread the wealth, or not become a completely different person after they received a large sum of money, the answer would be different.

prohornblower 07-17-2007 06:50 PM

I answered No.

But I'd take the $2K over my friend getting 20K. Anyone just getting 20K out of the blue from a stranger is way too much. 10K probably wouldn't cause my friend to start snorting coke or something.

Forbin 07-17-2007 07:11 PM

It would depend on which of my friends it was. I don't think I have a single "best" friend, but a handful that could be considered that. They are not all equal, financially speaking. $1k for one would not make any difference at all, while for another it would be a pretty hefty sum.

Reup Gang 07-17-2007 08:47 PM

need 100k.

guids 07-17-2007 08:48 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I answered No.

But I'd take the $2K over my friend getting 20K. Anyone just getting 20K out of the blue from a stranger is way too much. 10K probably wouldn't cause my friend to start snorting coke or something.

[/ QUOTE ]

god, you are such a douche bag. no wonder you had me on ignore, its because douche bags usually dont like what I have to say.

quinn 07-17-2007 09:23 PM

Interesting question.

As soon as the money gets that enticing, it's up to the point where one of my best friends would just be giving me a decent amount of it, not to mention I'd benefit from being able to use his new house/boat/whatever.

So I never take the 1:10.

XXXNoahXXX 07-17-2007 09:27 PM

A lot of people keep saying things like "my friend would just be giving me a decent amount" or "take care of me."

I don't get this. Sure, if I won Powerball for $100M, I'd probably pay off my friend's college loans, maybe buy him a house or something.

If I won $1M-$10M, he'd probably get free rounds of drinks at the bar, maybe pay for him to come to Vegas. Even my brothers wouldn't get much. Just my parents.

Would you expect your friends to just give you a chunk of cash?

AceCR9 07-17-2007 10:12 PM

I would never take 10%, money just isn't worth that much

prohornblower 07-17-2007 11:04 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
I answered No.

[/ QUOTE ]

god, you are such a douche bag. no wonder you had me on ignore, its because douche bags usually dont like what I have to say.

[/ QUOTE ]

Well, it certainly depends on which friend. I have exaqtly two friends that I can guarantee would be able to accept in excess of 20k and not let it affect them negatively.

But I have this weird suspicion that the average person (even though they are my friend, and are of upstanding character) would not be mature enough to just receive more than $10K without doing work, without going nuts and doing harmful things with it.

Obviously, strictly talking EV (between the two of you), it's always best to defer to the friend, even if you don't think your friend will spend >10% on you.

I also live where the cost-of-living is pretty low so if I lived in San Francisco, my answer would be different.

BTW, what exactly was it about my answer that sounds douchebaggy? Or is it just that you are upset about the ignoring, and looking to publicly pummel me to feel better about yourself?

gobboboy 07-17-2007 11:13 PM

If we're talking about my very best friends, any amount up until about $10 million, at which point I could give them tons of money anyway.

guids 07-17-2007 11:15 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
I answered No.

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Well, it certainly depends on which friend. I have exaqtly two friends that I can guarantee would be able to accept in excess of 20k and not let it affect them negatively.

But I have this weird suspicion that the average person (even though they are my friend, and are of upstanding character) would not be mature enough to just receive more than $10K without doing work, without going nuts and doing harmful things with it.

Obviously, strictly talking EV (between the two of you), it's always best to defer to the friend, even if you don't think your friend will spend >10% on you.

I also live where the cost-of-living is pretty low so if I lived in San Francisco, my answer would be different.

BTW, what exactly was it about my answer that sounds douchebaggy? Or is it just that you are upset about the ignoring, and looking to publicly pummel me to feel better about yourself?

[/ QUOTE ]

This part right here.

React1oN 07-17-2007 11:21 PM

2nd question was really hard, but I put 10k, though I think now I should have done 20k. That's a very very significant amount of money for me, but still 200k for him, fk that's a really hard question.

prohornblower 07-17-2007 11:22 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
I answered No.

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

but I have this weird suspicion that the average person (even though they are my friend, and are of upstanding character) would not be mature enough to just receive more than $10K without doing work

This part right here.

[/ QUOTE ]

So you're mad because I would make a "moral" judgement? Are you aware of how many people win the lotto and it ruins their life? It's all relative...similar to what I was saying, if I was like in my 60's and I had friends that were millionaires (and had years of experience handling lots of money responsibly) then hell, I'd go really high, up into the millions.

What I think is funny is that some people who disdain moral judgement are the ones who think "ehhh, my buddy will spend money on me anyway, so I'll give it to him" wtf? If I chose to allow a friend to have a large sum of money, I wouldn't expect anything in return.

guids 07-17-2007 11:30 PM

no, Im not mad because you are making a moral judgment, Im calling you a douche at the fact that you are making a blanket statement about people that is retarded and generally wreaking of self-righteousness. Unless you hang out with morans, or are a self-righteous douche bag, I dont see how you can have an atitude of "generally my friends are such immature idiots that they cant handle 10,000 lousy dollars and not kill themselves w/ it, Id be much better suited than them, because Im so superior."

maybe Im way off here though, and am reading into it.

prohornblower 07-17-2007 11:37 PM

[ QUOTE ]
no, Im not mad because you are making a moral judgment, Im calling you a douche at the fact that you are making a blanket statement about people that is retarded and generally wreaking of self-righteousness. Unless you hang out with morans, or are a self-righteous douche bag, I dont see how you can have an atitude of "generally my friends are such immature idiots that they cant handle 10,000 lousy dollars and not kill themselves w/ it, Id be much better suited than them, because Im so superior."

maybe Im way off here though, and am reading into it.

[/ QUOTE ]

Dude, none of my friends play poker for money. I know a lot of people on here make a ton of money and have poker friends who make a ton and 20K isn't a lot to them. I can appreciate that. My friends make like 40-50K per year. Yeah, I think I am making a moral judgement, and acting self-righteous. I won't deny that, but it is only under the pretext that I'm 'looking out' for my friends. If, in your experience, people acquiring a large sum of money without earning it behave normally, then I totally understand why you would want to bequeath such amounts to your friends.

The only experience I have with people suddenly acquiring huge sums of money is what I've read about lotto winners on the internet.

EDIT: Looking at the graph, 25% of people chose an amount lower than I. Even though your beef is with my underlying philosophy, and not the dollar amount I chose, I just want this on the record.

guids 07-17-2007 11:44 PM

EDIT: Looking at the graph, 25% of people chose an amount lower than I. Even though your beef is with my underlying philosophy, and not the dollar amount I chose, I just want this on the record.

lol, its hilarious that you think I even give a [censored] about that as it has no bearing on why I think you are a douche

normal people imo, do not think that their friends will suddenly explode because they got 10k w/o working for it.

normal people think: hey, my buddy joe could really use 10k, he will probably pay some credit card debt, put some into savings, and maybe take a vacation, it probably take a load off his shoulders, and keep his wife at bay for awhile.

prohornblower 07-18-2007 09:03 AM

[ QUOTE ]

lol, its hilarious that you think I even give a [censored] about that as it has no bearing on why I think you are a douche

normal people imo, do not think that their friends will suddenly explode because they got 10k w/o working for it.

normal people think: hey, my buddy joe could really use 10k, he will probably pay some credit card debt, put some into savings, and maybe take a vacation, it probably take a load off his shoulders, and keep his wife at bay for awhile.

[/ QUOTE ]

OK, I'm no longer going to defend my point because I chose to give the friend 10K, but stop at 20K. I don't know if you are just messing with me, or if you just have sub-par reading comprehension. Also, I want it on record that my close friends went to school with me where we got a 5-year accredited professional degree for $17K, total. If my buddies went to school where it cost 25k per year and I knew they still had sizeable SL debt, then I'd up the amount as well, figuring they'd pay off some debt. But at our age, none of us has close to that much SL debt left.

EDIT: You've posted here for 2 years, and haven't figured out how to properly quote a poster? Another point for bad reading comprehension. [img]/images/graemlins/confused.gif[/img]

guids 07-18-2007 10:51 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

OK, I'm no longer going to defend my point because I chose to give the friend 10K, but stop at 20K. I don't know if you are just messing with me, or if you just have sub-par reading comprehension. Also, I want it on record that my close friends went to school with me where we got a 5-year accredited professional degree for $17K, total. If my buddies went to school where it cost 25k per year and I knew they still had sizeable SL debt, then I'd up the amount as well, figuring they'd pay off some debt. But at our age, none of us has close to that much SL debt left.

EDIT: You've posted here for 2 years, and haven't figured out how to properly quote a poster? Another point for bad reading comprehension. [img]/images/graemlins/confused.gif[/img]

[/ QUOTE ]

OK, I'm no longer going to defend my point because I chose to give the friend 10K, but stop at 20K.

not much difference between 10 and 20k imo. you are a self-riteous douche bag, who has to go ad hominem in hopes that people forget about what a big douche you are. nice try.

Rick Diesel 07-18-2007 11:37 AM

None of the above. My best friend is poor, I am doing fine, and if he got a substantial windfall he would share it with me.

JACK CUST 07-18-2007 11:50 AM

so something like 40% of 2p2ers are liars.

Boris 07-18-2007 01:48 PM

It depends which friend. Some of my friends are really rich so I would take the hundo. Others are not so rich so I would decline the hundo.

prohornblower 07-18-2007 02:36 PM

So what did you answer, Mr. High-and-mighty? And what was your reasoning for doing so?

Lord_Strife 07-18-2007 02:52 PM

Honestly $100 is nothing to me so I would rather a friend have $1000 for sure, but once we get to certain points, my friend(s) would probably take care of me if they stumbled upon an obnoxious amount of money so it's hard for me to say.

guids 07-18-2007 03:07 PM

[ QUOTE ]
So what did you answer, Mr. High-and-mighty? And what was your reasoning for doing so?

[/ QUOTE ]

Im not acting high and mighty, I didnt answer anything, you are, remember? It really all just depends on which friend it is. Some of them really need it, some dont, some might, it depends.

prohornblower 07-18-2007 03:09 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Im not acting high and mighty, I didnt answer anything, you are, remember? It really all just depends on which friend it is. Some of them really need it, some dont, some might, it depends.

[/ QUOTE ]

Answer the question, son.