Two Plus Two Newer Archives

Two Plus Two Newer Archives (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/index.php)
-   Small Stakes Limit (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/forumdisplay.php?f=19)
-   -   PokerBob is in "The Well" (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/showthread.php?t=452949)

PokerBob 07-16-2007 11:57 PM

PokerBob is in \"The Well\"

I was asked to do this by a mod and it seems like a fun idea so, feel free to ask me anything. I will do my best to answer all the questions, granted, the serious questions will receive the most attention. The Well will be open for 24hrs. (or maybe a smidge longer.)

[ QUOTE ]
A stranger is being shown around a village that he has just become part of. He is shown a well and his guide says "On any day except Wednesday, you can shout any question down that well and you'll be told the answer" .

The man seems pretty impressed, and so he shouts down: Why not on Wednesday? and the voice from in the well shouts back: Because on Wednesday, it’s your day in the well .

Well this is my Wednesday in The Well which will consist of Monday/Tuesday of this week.

You may ask me any question about whatever you like. I will answer to the best of my abilities if I choose to answer your question.

[/ QUOTE ]

ProfessorBen 07-16-2007 11:58 PM

Re: PokerBob is in \"The Well\"

How can I become a successful high stakes player?

PokerBob 07-17-2007 12:00 AM

[ QUOTE ]
How can I become a successful high stakes player?

[/ QUOTE ]

Define "high stakes".

Schneids 07-17-2007 12:07 AM

What is the closest thing you can define as being your "ahah, i got it" moment, if there is one?

ProfessorBen 07-17-2007 12:08 AM

Being a winner at 100-200+.

Edit: Becoming better than Schneids.(after seeing his post)

KitCloudkicker 07-17-2007 12:15 AM

1) You're sitting at a table with 9 other skilled, veteran 2+2ers playing limit hold em. Everyone plays either TAG or SLAG. What strategies would you use to beat the table?

2) I'm gotten pretty proficient at beating your average small stakes live limit game, but I'm struggling with the transition to live nl. In particular, hands that are very profitable for me in limit I'm finding pretty difficult to play in nl, like AQ/JJ. What do you think are the key differences in the games? How should your mindset different in a nl vs a fixed limit game?

PokerJans 07-17-2007 12:17 AM

How long have you consistently been playing live poker for AND what is the worst live downswing you have had in terms of BBs?

BTW your blog rocks

PokerBob 07-17-2007 12:19 AM

[ QUOTE ]
What is the closest thing you can define as being your "ahah, i got it" moment, if there is one?

[/ QUOTE ]

Hmmmmm.....I don't think that I can pinpoint a particular date/time, but I think it came within the last year or so, when I realized that there wasn't really that much that separated me from the really good players (you, bk, kirby, mike c., cmo, vehn, etc.). I used to think that every play had to be (or was) super deep and fancy and expert. The fact is that many hands in lhe play themselves.

I think another big part of my (and probably many people's) development is self-confidence. These forums can be a great resource for developing one's skills, but they also can make it difficult for one to feel good about their game. As you well know, there is a lot of advice here posted by veteran posters that is simply bad, yet posted with an air of infallibility. It is easy to assume "well, they post a lot and have been here forever, so they must know what they are doing. I must not be very good and I guess I have a lot to learn." I used to assume that a lot. I don't any more.

PokerBob 07-17-2007 12:20 AM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

live or online?

Frond 07-17-2007 12:23 AM

Hey PBob, enjoy all of your posts immensely: A few live ones for ya:

1. How long have you been playing Live?

2. What live limits did you start at?

3. What live limits do you currently play at?

4. What are your goals long term as far as playing poker goes?

5. Have you ever had a coach and of so who?

6. Do you believe in heavy petting on the first date?

PokerBob 07-17-2007 12:26 AM

[ QUOTE ]
1) You're sitting at a table with 9 other skilled, veteran 2+2ers playing limit hold em. Everyone plays either TAG or SLAG. What strategies would you use to beat the table?

2) I'm gotten pretty proficient at beating your average small stakes live limit game, but I'm struggling with the transition to live nl. In particular, hands that are very profitable for me in limit I'm finding pretty difficult to play in nl, like AQ/JJ. What do you think are the key differences in the games? How should your mindset different in a nl vs a fixed limit game?

[/ QUOTE ]

1.) To be honest, I'd just pick another game. I don't have an ego issue, and thus have no problem playing in a lower stakes game if my earn in that game is going to be greater. As far as what I would do in that game, I honestly can't answer that. So much depends on how the other guys are playing. If they are good, they are gonna loosen up and steal more because everyone else is playing TAG so they can open more but now someone may smell that and start 3betting light because he knows this prick is opening with a wider range and blahblahblah. I hate to say "it depends", but it really depends.

2.) I have only played about 50K hands of NL at really low stakes (.5/1.) I was a small winner, and can tell you that I have no idea how to play NL. I think my biggest issue was that I never folded. In limit, especially online, I don't fold top pair. In NL, you HAVE to. So, I guess the one thing I could tell you is, LEARN TO FOLD.

ProfessorBen 07-17-2007 12:28 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

live or online?

[/ QUOTE ]

Live first.

I guess I should just flesh out the whole deal. I'm 21 years old, been playing LHE for a couple years, mainly live(20/40) and some online(2/4-5/10). I've been lurking the High/Mid Stakes Forums as long as I can remember and want to get where some of you guys are. I know it gets more and more difficult to move up in terms of bankroll requirements, toughness of opponents, increased variance, and etc. but it's a goal of mine.

I know I should just keep posting and talking about hands, reading books, playing hard, building the bankroll and etc. but any original advice on top of that would be great.

PokerBob 07-17-2007 12:36 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Hey PBob, enjoy all of your posts immensely: A few live ones for ya:

1. How long have you been playing Live?

2. What live limits did you start at?

3. What live limits do you currently play at?

4. What are your goals long term as far as playing poker goes?

5. Have you ever had a coach and of so who?

6. Do you believe in heavy petting on the first date?

[/ QUOTE ]

1. I think I first went to Canterbury in the summer of 2003.

2. Played 2/4.

3. Typically 30/60.

4. I want to see how good I can get and make as much as I can. I would like to be able to know that if I ever had a job but then for some reason lost it, I'd be able to survive playing poker. It's not something I envision doing forever, but it is a nice insurance policy.

5. Never had any formal coaching, but I have been lucky enough to have become friends with some of the best limit players around. So I guess I get coached indirectly.

6. You ask if I "beleive in it", as if it were Santa Claus or the Easter Bunny. I don't beleive in it as much as I hope for it.

Allday Everyday 07-17-2007 12:37 AM

Hi PokerBob. Thanks for doing this.

How are you going today?

How long have you been playing poker?

What poker games do you play besides limit hold 'em?

What limits do you currently play? Online. Live.

What is the highest limit you have played? Online. Live.

What is the largest pot you have ever won?

What are the biggest BB downswings you have had at each limit?

What are your stats in HUHU games?

You're UTG in a FR game at the limit you currently play. What is your range here?

What winrate do you believe is possible for online middle stakes online and high stakes live games today?

Who do you think are the best limit hold 'em players in the world? Online and live.

What to you think is the greatest piece of music of all time?

Who is your favourite intellectual figure of all time?

Who do you think is the most physically attractive person in the world?

What is your favourite pizza topping?

If you could be any other person in the world, who would it be?

PokerBob 07-17-2007 12:42 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

live or online?

[/ QUOTE ]

Live first.

I guess I should just flesh out the whole deal. I'm 21 years old, been playing LHE for a couple years, mainly live(20/40) and some online(2/4-5/10). I've been lurking the High/Mid Stakes Forums as long as I can remember and want to get where some of you guys are. I know it gets more and more difficult to move up in terms of bankroll requirements, toughness of opponents, increased variance, and etc. but it's a goal of mine.

I know I should just keep posting and talking about hands, reading books, playing hard, building the bankroll and etc. but any original advice on top of that would be great.

[/ QUOTE ]

I think the biggest mistake I made was not spalshing around in bigger games earlier in my career. I just assumed that those guys were soooooo much better than me. I figured that if they played in big games, they must be good. Not true. How much money one has (not how much skill) is a big factor in determing what game one plays. That said, I think the online limit games are much tougher than they were 3-4 years ago, but good games can still be found. I'd recommend taking small shots (25-40bb) here and there at bigger games. Look at it as a learning experience. You may surpirse yourself and find that you are one of the better players in the game. Plus, you may run hot as well and then BANG, off you go. Good luck.

PokerBob 07-17-2007 12:45 AM

[ QUOTE ]
How long have you consistently been playing live poker for AND what is the worst live downswing you have had in terms of BBs?

[/ QUOTE ]

I have been "pro" for a little over 2 years now. The majority of that was online, although I think I'd average about 10hrs/week of live play as well. Lately (the last 3-4 months) I have been playing almost all live. I just don't have it online any more. I am sure I will go back to it, but right now I am sick of it and thus don't play my best.

I think the worst live downswing I had was around 220BB, but I'm not sure. I know I lost 110BB in a session once. That sucked.

[ QUOTE ]

BTW your blog rocks

[/ QUOTE ]

thanks.

MitchL 07-17-2007 12:54 AM

How did you come up w/ your 2p2 sn?

PokerBob 07-17-2007 01:12 AM

[ QUOTE ]

How long have you been playing poker?

[/ QUOTE ]

about 4 years.

[ QUOTE ]
What poker games do you play besides limit hold 'em?

[/ QUOTE ]

none really.

[ QUOTE ]
What limits do you currently play? Online. Live.

[/ QUOTE ]

usually 30/60 or 100/200 live. i rarely play online any more. if i do, i'll play 3/6-10/20 at wpx, typically.

[ QUOTE ]

What is the largest pot you have ever won?

[/ QUOTE ]

I won a $4k pot last week in Vegas. I think that is likely the biggest.

[ QUOTE ]
What are the biggest BB downswings you have had at each limit?

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't know by limit, but live it was around 220bb and online I had one that was over 600bb.

[ QUOTE ]
What are your stats in HUHU games?

[/ QUOTE ]

no idea. i rarely play heads-up.

[ QUOTE ]
You're UTG in a FR game at the limit you currently play. What is your range here?

[/ QUOTE ]

I probably raise QJs+, 55+ and maybe some smaller hands like 76s if the game/situation is right.

[ QUOTE ]
What winrate do you believe is possible for online middle stakes online and high stakes live games today?

[/ QUOTE ]

I really don't know about online any more. Live, I still think 1bb/hour is very attainable.

[ QUOTE ]
Who do you think are the best limit hold 'em players in the world? Online and live.

[/ QUOTE ]

Schneids is up there for both, and I know he respects the play of Hoss_TBF and Joe Cassidy, so they must be good. CMO is probably the best live player that I know of, but several of the MN players like BK, Kirby, Mike C. and Vehn can't be too far behind.

[ QUOTE ]
What to you think is the greatest piece of music of all time?

[/ QUOTE ]

http://images.amazon.com/images/P/B0...1.LZZZZZZZ.jpg

[ QUOTE ]

Who is your favourite intellectual figure of all time?

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't think I have one. I'm not too bright.

[ QUOTE ]
Who do you think is the most physically attractive person in the world?

[/ QUOTE ]

http://images.movieeye.com/store/ima...ty-photo-a.jpg

[ QUOTE ]
What is your favourite pizza topping?

[/ QUOTE ]

Depends on mood, but any combination of sausage, peperoni, mushrooms and onions.
[ QUOTE ]
If you could be any other person in the world, who would it be?

[/ QUOTE ]

schneids.

PokerBob 07-17-2007 01:18 AM

[ QUOTE ]
How did you come up w/ your 2p2 sn?

[/ QUOTE ]

4-5 years ago I played some $5 SNGs at some guy's apartment in Uptown. I did not know him (or how to play poker), but knew another guy going, so I tagged along. The following week, I wanted to know if there was going to be a game, so I got this guy's number and called him. While the phone was ringing, I realized that (a) I hardly know this guy and (b) my name is BOB, which is common and boring and he may have no idea who the [censored] I am. So when he answered, instead of saying "Hey, this is Bob. I played some SNGs at your place last week and sure had a good old time and would like to play again this week", I simply said, "This is PokerBob." He knew exactly who I was, and now I am saddled with this retarded nickname for the rest of my life.

PokerBob 07-17-2007 01:28 AM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm not sure that everyone is capable of getting to the point where they can beat big, tough games. I used to think that anyone could learn, but I think I may have been wrong. That said, I think finding other people who love poker that you can talk about hands/situations with is invaluable. I am a poker dork, and many of my friends are. This really has helped in my development as a player.

One thing that I think is mandatory for success in big games is self-control. I have heard so many descriptions of high-stakes players start with the phrase, "he plays super good when not on tilt...."

Kirby99 07-17-2007 01:48 AM

In a full ring live LHE game, if a good, solid player opens on the button and it is folded to you in the BB, do you defend with Q2 suited?

PokerBob 07-17-2007 01:54 AM

[ QUOTE ]
In a full ring live LHE game, if a good, solid player opens on the button and it is folded to you in the BB, do you defend with Q2 suited?

[/ QUOTE ]

probably not, unless I know said player will go off for lots of bets if I flop big and will always try to outplay me and is generally a [censored] and will never put me on that hand and when it comes A22 I can make much gamboooool.

Harv72b 07-17-2007 02:54 AM

Thanks for doing this. [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

- Other than LHE, what do you consider your best poker game?

- If you had to pick just one, what do you think the most crucial quality that any successful poker player must have would be?

- Moneymaker's ME win or the passage of the UIGEA: which do you think has had the biggest effect on poker & why?

- Tell us about what you think was the greatest poker hand you ever played. Feel free to embellish & add things like ninjas and giant fire-breathing wombats to the story.

- What is your biggest current leak?

- A strong, straightforward player with whom you have a very good relationship chock full of mutual respect makes an UTG raise. Everyone folds to you in the BB, and you misclick and accidentally call the raise with 72o. The flop comes 777. Do you let him know that you misclicked & are holding quads?

- Through a freak genetic experiment, you discover that you have the ability to flawlessly read other peoples' minds. However, in order to do so you must wear extremely uncomfortable shoes which are two sizes too small. Do you wear the shoes?

PokerBob 07-17-2007 03:25 AM

[ QUOTE ]

Other than LHE, what do you consider your best poker game?

[/ QUOTE ]

stud8. i TORTURED schneids hu for a few hours at 6/12. that said, it's not hard when every hand you get starts A35.

[ QUOTE ]
- If you had to pick just one, what do you think the most crucial quality that any successful poker player must have would be?

[/ QUOTE ]

I think self-control and money management are the biggest, at least for someone who is a pro.

[ QUOTE ]
- Moneymaker's ME win or the passage of the UIGEA: which do you think has had the biggest effect on poker & why?

[/ QUOTE ]

Hmmmm. That's tough. I think UIGEA has affected me more, as the limit games seem to be dying, plus I was into poker before Moneymaker's win. That said, I think they both have had huge effects. Ugh. I hate even thinking about UIGEA. So stupid.

[ QUOTE ]
- Tell us about what you think was the greatest poker hand you ever played. Feel free to embellish & add things like ninjas and giant fire-breathing wombats to the story.

[/ QUOTE ]

Wow. Well, I'm sure it is not the greatest, but it is probably the most memorable. I sat in a 3 handed 100/200 game on Empire with the intention of harassing bicyclekick in chat, but being a moron, I ended up posting UTG. That horrified me. Even more horrifying was that I was dealt black Aces. [censored]. Now I HAVE to get involved. I won like $1500 and busted the fish in the game. I played one hand, and was gone.

A live hand I played a few months ago that sticks in my mind was at 30/60. I think I liked this hand so much because the villain was (a) a lucky idiot and (b) had sunglasses on his head like an idiot that he would pull down onto his eyes if he entered a pot, not unlike the way Luke SkyWalker pulls down his blast shield. This kind of thing drives me insane. So, I open in MP with QT and he defends his BB. Flop comes something like J62 and he c/r's me and i call. The turn is a K and I raise his ass with my OESD. He looks disgusted and calls. The river pairs the 2 and he checks, I bet, he shakes his head for 10 seconds, grumbles about how lucky I am, and then folds. For some reason that one felt really good. Guess he shoulda used the force.

[ QUOTE ]

- What is your biggest current leak?

[/ QUOTE ]

This is going to sound arrogant, but it's actually the opposite: I tend to give my opponents too much credit for being able to hand-read and play well. I am an idiot and can figure out what people have, so I assume that they surely can do the same. I am often wrong.

[ QUOTE ]
- A strong, straightforward player with whom you have a very good relationship chock full of mutual respect makes an UTG raise. Everyone folds to you in the BB, and you misclick and accidentally call the raise with 72o. The flop comes 777. Do you let him know that you misclicked & are holding quads?

[/ QUOTE ]

yes. once he calls the river.

[ QUOTE ]
- Through a freak genetic experiment, you discover that you have the ability to flawlessly read other peoples' minds. However, in order to do so you must wear extremely uncomfortable shoes which are two sizes too small. Do you wear the shoes?

[/ QUOTE ]

for a week. at the bellagio. in bobby's room.

Niediam 07-17-2007 03:33 AM

Under what conditions do you call a raise in the BB with any two suited cards? Thanks.

PokerBob 07-17-2007 03:40 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Under what conditions do you call a raise in the BB with any two suited cards? Thanks.

[/ QUOTE ]

if i'm getting at least 9:1, i usually call. i also try to call if i'm going to flop a boat.

Chris Daddy Cool 07-17-2007 06:16 AM

bob, how did you come up with the word ponger?

PokerBob 07-17-2007 06:30 AM

[ QUOTE ]
bob, how did you come up with the word ponger?

[/ QUOTE ]

I didn't. A guy I lived with in college did. I don't recall the details of the conversation or what we were doing, but somehow an Asian person got referred to as a "ponger". I of course had no idea wtf he was talking about, so I asked. He explained that at Union South (at UW-Madison), if you go in there at night, the ping pong tables are overrun by Asians. Thus, he calls Asians "pongers". It remains my favorite racial epithet.

fuzz66 07-17-2007 07:18 AM

thanx again for doing this. besides SSHE and HPFAP, what other books would you suggest for limit holdem

PokerBob 07-17-2007 07:37 AM

[ QUOTE ]
thanx again for doing this. besides SSHE and HPFAP, what other books would you suggest for limit holdem

[/ QUOTE ]

Theory of Poker and Inside the Poker Mind. They both really helped me a lot.

KitCloudkicker 07-17-2007 07:47 AM

PokerBob, thanks for doing this.

Was just wondering, what was the first time you "took a shot" and played a limit significantly higher than what you were accostomed to playing? What was the limit?

Also, was it intimidating? How did you handle it? Did you feel that the players were much better than any you'd played before?

HoneyBadger 07-17-2007 08:18 AM

What do you think of the impact on health the poker life-style has? One author described it as "the recipe for a heart attack" -- coincedentally, I think this might have been John Feeney, but I'm not certain. Do you take any precautions? As for psychological health, do you ever feel bad about playing poker? For example, the feeling of investing too much time in a silly game, or the feeling of not contributing to anything in the world?

Harv72b 07-17-2007 08:34 AM

Follow-up questions:

-What is the best line from the movie "Rounders"?

-Excluding pocket pairs, what is your favorite two-card starting hand? Suits as well.

-If you could go back to your beginnings as a serious poker player, what (if anything) would you have done differently?

-How many tables is too many?

-Female poker player you'd most like to get "all in" with? Theoretically speaking, of course.

James. 07-17-2007 08:57 AM

[ QUOTE ]
http://images.amazon.com/images/P/B0...1.LZZZZZZZ.jpg

[/ QUOTE ]

wow, this brings back memories. did you ever listen to Firehose(not Firehouse)? Mike Watt and Ed Crawford were awesome. you may have never heard of them, but for some reason i think of them in similar terms because they overlap that time in my life.

if already asked disregard, but what 2p2 poster has had the most influence on your game?

what non2p2ers(if any) have had a positive influence on your game?

is it true what they say about Minnesota poker players?

leo doc 07-17-2007 09:26 AM

Where can I find your blog?

Ever give any thought to coaching?

leo doc 07-17-2007 09:43 AM

And...is the Esposito v MN HU match gonna happen?

Bob T. 07-17-2007 10:17 AM

Hey PokerBob,

Are you playing live more often, because your edge is greater, even though you might not be able to get in as much volume?

How do you decide if a game is worth playing, or do you just sit in the 30-60, and wait for it to get good? Or, how do I spend more time playing higher, when the 8-16 is almost always populated by people who can't spell poker, or maybe even 'kat'?

goofball 07-17-2007 10:42 AM

1. If you lost both your arms how would you masturbate?

2. Who was the worst hookup you ever had and why?

3. What is your favorite internal organ?

4. Would you rather be 2 feet taller or 2 feet shorter?

5. If you were to be eaten by an animal but could choose the animal which would you choose and why?

6. Wynn 15/30, Best player in the game opens on the button, SB coldcalls, you 3ball AJo in the BB, button 4bets, you call and SB calls. Flop KQ4, what's your line?

7. Are strippers mom's proud of them?

goofball 07-17-2007 10:50 AM

8. What do you think are the most common mistakes made by bellagio 1/2 regulars?

9. You very frequently seem like you're on tilt, especially I'd guess to people who don't know you(body language, what you say, etc) is it an act or venting in small doses? How do you think this affects your table image and what appropriate adjustments do you make?

10. Fill in the blank: Goofball, __________ is the one thing I think you most need to improve on when you play poker (it has been a while since we've played but whatever).

11. Fill in the blank: Goofball, __________ is something you're awesome at and should use/exploit more when you play poker

11. What's the funniest thing you've said at the table that was targeted at someone on tilt, with the idea of tilting them further?

leo doc 07-17-2007 11:12 AM

I keep thinking of questions, sorry...

Assume "typical" ring games (whatever that means nowdays- not limpfest nor extremely tight/agressive):

1. What hands, if any, would you open-limp with in the first three positions? (not AA or KK looking to re-raise tho)

2. Would these hands change on-line vs live?

And, btw, I think you're very gracious for doing this. TYVM.