Two Plus Two Newer Archives

Two Plus Two Newer Archives (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/index.php)
-   Other Other Topics (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/forumdisplay.php?f=36)
-   -   Neighbor dings door, my move? (Second ding, fixed parking spaces). (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/showthread.php?t=451908)

Dr. Moreau 07-15-2007 08:03 PM

Neighbor dings door, my move? (Second ding, fixed parking spaces).

Backstory: GF and I moved to SF Bay area from Seattle in January, we decide to sell my practical car and buy a 2007 Mazda Miata (MX-5). We keep the GF's practical car, but we now have a nice 'weekend' car. Sweet ride, but impractical. I walk to work, so the Miata sits idle at least 6 days a week.

Our apartment complex has fixed parking spaces, apartment 666 gets parking space 333. About a month after we move in, someone moves into the complex and gets spot 334. This does not mean they have apartment 667. They drive a mid-90s Chevy SUV and the back window has been broken out for 5 months now, so I am sure they do not 'care' about their car.

Story: One month after I bought the car I found a small door ding, only visible from a certain angle and not that visible. Since I had not driving the car in a week, I assumed parking space 334 did it... although it could have happened anywhere else. I am pretty tolerant, bad things happen and I in no way am 100% sure my parking neighbor did this to my car but I suspect they did.

Today I walk out, to find a huge 1 1/2" gash (complete with silver paint to match their silver SUV) on the upper part of my door, right near the handle. It lines up perfectly with the door height of their back door. I am 100% sure their car caused this ding... err gash.

I was pissed off as you could imagine, but still exhausted from only sleeping last night (insomnia). My girlfriend took the appropriate action and wrote in their driver's side window "[censored] OFF".

Here is my situation:

1) I have a high deductible, I keep it high because I am a safe drive and never have to use it. If I do use it, it is probably because my car got totaled.

2) I can not move my parking space, 333 is my assigned space, forever, period.

3) I do not know who these people are who own this car.

What do I do? How do to get paid to fix this gash and how do I prevent these no-talent-ass clowns from scratching/dinging/gashing my car? I know from prior experience with body work, I am looking at $500 - $800 to repair this damage.

Thanks in advance!

Disclaimer: I do not live in apartment 666 nor is my parking space 333... numbers were used for illustrative purposes.

bisonbison 07-15-2007 08:06 PM

Re: Neighbor dings door, my move? (Second ding, fixed parking spaces).

My girlfriend took the appropriate action and wrote in their driver's side window "[censored] OFF".

Not helpful.

Paul B. 07-15-2007 08:16 PM

Well, you should've taken photos and gotten a police report. That way you have something to work with when you're trying to negotiate to negotiate money out of your neighbors. But without any proof and the fact that your girlfriend vandalized their property, you don't really have much leverage.

RicherThanRichie 07-15-2007 08:17 PM

[ QUOTE ]
My girlfriend took the appropriate action and wrote in their driver's side window "[censored] OFF".

Not helpful.

[/ QUOTE ]

Since the easiest way to fix this problem would be to get them to AGREE to pay, this didn't help. I would try and find out who they are first contact them, state your case, and hope they pay damages. If this doesn't happen I guess you could contact the landlord/police although I don't know what they'll do since you can't prove they did this.

guids 07-15-2007 08:19 PM

passive aggressiveness

a man in a miata

Berkeley, Ca

thats 3 strikes.

edfurlong 07-15-2007 08:19 PM

You live in the bay area, drive a miata, and have a girlfriend?

xxThe_Lebowskixx 07-15-2007 08:21 PM

wtf is a practical car?

guids 07-15-2007 08:23 PM

[ QUOTE ]
wtf is a practical car?

[/ QUOTE ]

A miata is impractical because of all the time you waste having to listen to little girls relay the fact that their Barbie drives one just like it.

prohornblower 07-15-2007 08:27 PM

You are a huge nit. You buy an impractical (your word) car, and drive it one out of 7 days, and go apesh*t when a tiny ding gets in it?

Cars depreciate like crazy, I could give a sh*t if someone dings my car.

Dr. Moreau 07-15-2007 08:38 PM

[ QUOTE ]
You are a huge nit. You buy an impractical (your word) car, and drive it one out of 7 days, and go apesh*t when a tiny ding gets in it?

[/ QUOTE ]

Let me be clear on one thing.

I do not car if someone dings my car, it happens. I can not stop this.

I do care when someone forcefully opens their door, causing a 1 1/2" gash in my car leaving a noticeable Chevy SUV silver color on my dark grey car.

And yes, it is impractical.. I choose to buy it so that I could enjoy weekend trips around California and get some much needed Sun that we do not see in Washington. I did not go apesh*t, but I am annoyed that someone would leave such a large gash on my car without any note. If I left a 1 1/2" gash on your car, I would at least leave a note with my contact details on it.

Dr. Moreau 07-15-2007 08:41 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

Not helpful.

[/ QUOTE ]

Since the easiest way to fix this problem would be to get them to AGREE to pay, this didn't help. I would try and find out who they are first contact them, state your case, and hope they pay damages. If this doesn't happen I guess you could contact the landlord/police although I don't know what they'll do since you can't prove they did this.

[/ QUOTE ]

I realized the mistake of my GF writing bad notes on their car, it does not really build up good feelings with anyone.

I was thinking of measuring the height of the scratch, photographing it and measuring the height of the offending door where I believe the scratch came from and photographing it. Although this is not rock solid proof, as there are many mid-90s Chevy SUVs in the world I thought it would be useful.

Am I just barking up the wrong tree here and should I accept that my neighbor will continue to ding and damage my car?

skunkworks 07-15-2007 08:42 PM

AND HERE COME THE OOT [censored] WHO LOVE SNIPING FROM AFAR

prohornblower 07-15-2007 08:54 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

If I left a 1 1/2" gash on your car, I would at least leave a note with my contact details on it.

[/ QUOTE ]

And I'd be like "Oh that was nice of him", and throw the note away, because I don't want to waste time dealing with some careless stranger to get a few hundo.

I mean, if you leave your car sitting there next to people who have no muscular control, maybe you should drape your car with a membrane or some tarp with thickness to it. It will look ridiculous for a week or so, but maybe they'll get the message. If not, use the tarp to dispose of their body off of Angel Island.

daryn 07-15-2007 08:59 PM

yeah haha if you only use the car once a week get a cover for it, seriously

mikecrooks 07-15-2007 09:07 PM

http://www.wildaboutmovies.com/image...oviePoster.jpg

bobman0330 07-15-2007 09:31 PM

Get a crowbar and beat the [censored] out of their car, all the while screaming, "This is what happens when you [censored] a stranger in the ass!"

mbillie1 07-15-2007 09:37 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Get a crowbar and beat the [censored] out of their car, all the while screaming, "This is what happens when you [censored] a stranger in the ass!"

[/ QUOTE ]

This is correct

Dr. Moreau 07-15-2007 09:41 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I do not want to rack up any felony murder/death/kills so I will thankfully pass on this as option.

Edge34 07-15-2007 10:14 PM

How is this even a question OP?

Take a picture of it, including the SUV parked next to it for reference. Close-up of the damage. Body shop for estimate (2 is helpful). Then, armed with this, go to the landlord and find out who has this spot. Then go knock on their door (without your girlfriend, so you can deny the note since you didn't write it yourself). Talk to them calmly and see if you can work out a deal.

Very simple.

RunDownHouse 07-15-2007 10:24 PM

I totally understand being pissed, but how on earth do you not eventually say to yourself, "Maybe I should take some pictures for posterity and then call the police?"

Dr. Moreau 07-15-2007 11:04 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I totally understand being pissed, but how on earth do you not eventually say to yourself, "Maybe I should take some pictures for posterity and then call the police?"

[/ QUOTE ]

It took me a while to come to this conclusion. I am taking photos, calling the police, and we'll proceed from there.

I did not sleep very well last night and yeah, I should have taken care of this better.

I was more curious how you all have dealt with situations like this in the past.

Thanks

z28dreams 07-16-2007 12:25 AM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

This is a terrible reply. First, it's not a tiny ding - as OP stated it's a 1.5" 'gash' on his brand new 2007 miata.

Let's put it this way - from your screenname I assume you're a trumpet player. Suppose you bought a shiny brand new Stradivarius trumpet for $3000 or whatever. You leave it in the concert hall, and one day you come back to find a huge dent in the bell of it.

How pissed are you?

Now imagine that it's worth 10x as much.

OP has every right to be pissed and get compensation. Just because you drive a [censored] car or don't care about cars doesn't mean his property isn't valuable.

You mentioned that you don't want to waste your time dealing with a stranger for "a few hundo".

I personally would take the 15min to talk to them to save myself the roughly $500-$1000 repair.

Not everyone has $1000 laying around to say "screw it, i'll just take it like a bitch".

I_AM_EVIL 07-16-2007 12:27 AM

http://www.knife-works.com/images/kb5014.jpg

+

http://www.rchobbies.org/images/GlueTire300.jpg X4

=

http://monroelab.net/blog/uploaded_i...ire-770803.jpg X4

NSchandler 07-16-2007 12:41 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Get a crowbar and beat the [censored] out of their car, all the while screaming, "This is what happens when you find a stranger in the alps!"

[/ QUOTE ]

FYP

citanul 07-16-2007 12:43 AM

how the hell does this thread not get locked amongst all the threads that do?

no one here would take a crowbar and beat the hell of the guys car or his cat or whatever.

everyone here would do exactly what everyone else on the face of the planet would do, which is take pictures, approach relevant parties.

tuq 07-16-2007 12:59 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Today I walk out, to find a huge 1 1/2" gash

[/ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
You sure she's not jealous of that gash?

mikecrooks 07-16-2007 01:00 AM

[ QUOTE ]
how the hell does this thread not get locked amongst all the threads that do?

no one here would take a crowbar and beat the hell of the guys car or his cat or whatever.

everyone here would do exactly what everyone else on the face of the planet would do, which is take pictures, approach relevant parties.

[/ QUOTE ]

Actualy if someone dinged my new car I would probly take a crowbar to them and their cat and whatever else I could find.

prohornblower 07-16-2007 01:45 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Let's put it this way - from your screenname I assume you're a trumpet player.

Just because you drive a [censored] car or don't care about cars doesn't mean his property isn't valuable.

"screw it, i'll just take it like a bitch".

[/ QUOTE ]

1) Horrible read...considering I've never played an instrument other than guitar or drums in my life. So I don't know who that Stradivarius guy is, but he sounds like a doosh.

2) I don't think I drive a POS car, but it's no Z28 so that must mean I pee sitting down, which brings me to your third comment.

3) Taking it like a bitch...do you really think the cops care about this? Hell, my gf's truck got busted into a few months ago and almost stolen and the cop basically said there is nothing they can do. Cops have better things to do than settle petty disputes between overzealous car owners and their normal neighbors. If he's that sensitive about his new toy, he could also take steps to protect it. I seriously like the idea of a thick tarp with the words "My carport neighbor is a huge [censored]" spraypainted on it.

kyleb 07-16-2007 02:09 AM

OP,

Smash their window. Stop being a pussy.

APerfect10 07-16-2007 02:56 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Let's put it this way - from your screenname I assume you're a trumpet player.

Just because you drive a [censored] car or don't care about cars doesn't mean his property isn't valuable.

"screw it, i'll just take it like a bitch".

[/ QUOTE ]

1) Horrible read...considering I've never played an instrument other than guitar or drums in my life. So I don't know who that Stradivarius guy is, but he sounds like a doosh.

2) I don't think I drive a POS car, but it's no Z28 so that must mean I pee sitting down, which brings me to your third comment.

3) Taking it like a bitch...do you really think the cops care about this? Hell, my gf's truck got busted into a few months ago and almost stolen and the cop basically said there is nothing they can do. Cops have better things to do than settle petty disputes between overzealous car owners and their normal neighbors. If he's that sensitive about his new toy, he could also take steps to protect it. I seriously like the idea of a thick tarp with the words "My carport neighbor is a huge [censored]" spraypainted on it.

[/ QUOTE ]

Your exactly the type of [censored] that opens car doors and lets them bash into the car parked beside you. If you dont care about your care, fine. But at least respect other peoples property.

Obviously they dont care about their car so kick their door in. Although this usually works better if you dont have a permanent parking spot next to them.

sonneti 07-16-2007 06:20 AM

http://www.mobygames.com/images/shot...6076327-00.jpg

Hume 07-16-2007 07:46 AM

[ QUOTE ]
3) Taking it like a bitch...do you really think the cops care about this? Hell, my gf's truck got busted into a few months ago and almost stolen and the cop basically said there is nothing they can do.

[/ QUOTE ]

The cops knew who broke into your gf's truck and didn't do anything? If not, your situation is nothing like this one.

prohornblower 07-16-2007 09:09 AM

[ QUOTE ]

Your exactly the type of [censored] that opens car doors and lets them bash into the car parked beside you. If you dont care about your care, fine. But at least respect other peoples property.

[/ QUOTE ]

Again, horrible read. I'm always very very careful about this. If my door ever has to touch another car, I'll set it gently against the car and try not to jam it. This includes me putting my giant fking hockey bag into, and out of my backseat a couple times a week.

Dr. Moreau 07-16-2007 12:57 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I realize the police have better things to do, when my older Miata was broken into (the top was slashed) and the cops were basically like, sorry.. have a good day.

For all of those who care, here are pictures of the damage and offending SUV.

http://www.moreau.us/miata/ding1.jpg
http://www.moreau.us/miata/ding2.jpg
http://www.moreau.us/miata/ding3.jpg

tuq 07-16-2007 12:59 PM

OP,

Maybe you can get the insurance estimator to declare the car totaled so you can ditch the Miata and get something less emasculating.

anfernee 07-16-2007 01:11 PM

Dr. Moreau, if your parking spot neighbor is a jack*ss with common sense/d-baggery and a penchant for saving $$$, he or she will probably deny hitting your door with their door. This type of stuff is hard to prove, without taking samples of paint and sending it to the CSI/State Farm lab, or witnessing it first hand. Having your g/f write that stuff on the windshield isn't helping.
In the future, the answer is simple.
Go to your nearest H*m* D*pot, L*we's, and purchase Liquid Nails.
Fill the crack of the driver side doors with said Liquid Nails(lots of Liquid Nails), let it air dry overnight.
If your parking spot neighbor is not Barry Bonds or possesses average strength, they'll struggle with opening their driver side door. Enjoy.

Or do what Daryn suggested and get a cover.

Taso 07-16-2007 01:24 PM

I think writing that "[censored] off" note is only an appropriate action when you are under 18 years old.

Do what everyone else (with intelligence) said to do, take pictures of your car, the scratch, other guys car, the mark on his door (which you didn't include in this thread), get an estimate, take it to the landlord, ask him who parks in spot XXX, take it to that guy. Seems simple.

Bostaevski 07-16-2007 01:25 PM

Send him a subtle message

http://www.halfboxjh.com/pickaxe.jpg

z28dreams 07-16-2007 01:39 PM

First, let me state that my initial reply was a little harsh, but I really felt that your recommendation to the OP to let it go is the wrong move.

[ QUOTE ]

1) Horrible read...considering I've never played an instrument other than
guitar or drums in my life. So I don't know who that Stradivarius guy is, but he sounds like a doosh.

[/ QUOTE ]

The read is irrelevant. I was making an analogy. The point is that OP has a possession he cares about, and fairly expensive damage was done to his car.

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I never said it had to be taken to the cops, but you seem to believe that there is some huge hassle involved in dealing with this. The truth of the world is that a LOT can be resolved if people can just stand up for themselves and directly communicate rather than being passive aggressive.

There's even a fair chance that the owner of the SUV has kids who slammed the door into OP's car, and they aren't aware of it.

I see no reason why any person should have to be put out $1000 when there is a perfectly reasonable approach to handling the situation.

At what point do you draw the line prohornblower? It's ok if it's just a ding? Just a gash? Just a shattered window? Just a few slashed tires? At what point does the inconvenience no longer bother you that you'd go after the person? $1000 is definitely enough for me.

Quadstriker 07-16-2007 02:31 PM

Sounds like you and your girlfriend are a perfect match.