Two Plus Two Newer Archives

Two Plus Two Newer Archives (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/index.php)
-   Micro Stakes (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/forumdisplay.php?f=71)
-   -   The Well: QFGelfordness (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/showthread.php?t=450836)

Gelford 07-14-2007 08:20 AM

The Well: QFGelfordness

Ok, it seems Ama's well has run it course and in reality, I shouldn't be doing this before next week, but ..... I'm in a bad mood, so having something to distract me seems like a good idea.

----------------------------------------------------------------

A stranger is being shown around a village that he has just become part of. He is shown a well and his guide says "On any day except Tuesday, you can shout any question down that well and you'll be told the answer

Why not tuesday ??

'Cause on tuesdays you are in the well"

---------------------------------------------------------------------

So let's gogogogogo [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

Willem 07-14-2007 08:22 AM

Re: The Well: QFGelfordness

What do you open with UTG?

Gelford 07-14-2007 08:30 AM

[ QUOTE ]
What do you open with UTG?

[/ QUOTE ]

For Value I raise 99+ and AQo+ (4,8%), depending on tableconditions and my image I fill up with 'air', in other words hands like smaller pps, SCs and other not totally hopeless hands and can run up to a range of around 17-18%.

This is fluid.

Peter Harris 07-14-2007 08:32 AM

your title says ", maybe"

which things are you not 100% sure you're +EV at?

Gelford 07-14-2007 08:33 AM

[ QUOTE ]
your title says ", maybe"

which things are you not 100% sure you're +EV at?

[/ QUOTE ]

That is not me, that is unsure, but our beloved mod EMc, that gave me the title [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

bozzer 07-14-2007 08:42 AM

you're known for being willing to gamble it up in spots where lots of uNLers don't.

give me your top three examples of this?

checkmate36 07-14-2007 08:49 AM

Thanks for taking the time. Your posts are always money in the bank.

How long have you been playing for?
What level did you start at?
What level are you playing now?

Gelford 07-14-2007 08:55 AM

[ QUOTE ]
you're known for being willing to gamble it up in spots where lots of uNLers don't.

give me your top three examples of this?

[/ QUOTE ]

Examples and top three ... meh ... I can't do that, but it is all a question of feel, things like.

Is villian aggressive?

Am I aggressive and starting to annoy villian?

Is the board wet?

Is the board dry?

What is the timing of villians actions?

Poker is putting villians on a range, and I just find that my range estimates are often wider that those of the generic uNL'er.

Then there is estimating FE ... this is a skill too, but if you never try to make villian fold, it is hard to get a feel for it.

That being said, trying to make every villian fold in every hand is the quickest and most safe way to BUSTO known. (some never fold, some never fold TPTK or overpairs)

bozzer 07-14-2007 08:57 AM

you recently made a big rowithrawo trip to 25 and 50nl before returning to 100.

can you detail the main ajdustments you make to your play between these three levels?

(specific stuff like getting b3b when i have xx is a fold at 25 but a call at 50 would be great)

Gelford 07-14-2007 09:11 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Thanks for taking the time. Your posts are always money in the bank.

How long have you been playing for?
What level did you start at?
What level are you playing now?

[/ QUOTE ]

My poker career starts on april the 29th 2005 or rather in the week leading up to this date. At my job we had this thing where we would meet and eat/get drunk the last friday of each month. But that month every one started going around saying 'All in' and 'Gus Hansen' and before you knew it, it was determined that we where supposed to play a couple of sngs that friday.

Monday or tuesday I bought Phil Helmuths 'Texas Hold'em' book and deposited 25$ on UB and lost it quickly playing .1/.25 lhe.

All in all I lost 100$ on UB that week, but won both 10$ sngs against my co-workers that friday

Then I started playing 2$ sngs .... running another 25$ up to 130$ afterwich bought into my first 10$ MTT and luckboxed it for 900$ first price.

..... haven't looked back since.

I won around 6000$ in 2005 (pre 2+2) playing donkaments and 20NL mostly on ladbrokes. (3 MTT wins that year)

2006 I quit my job with the intent of writing my thesis, but before I knew it, I was a struggling lowstakes cash and sng pro, I sucked at cash, but did well at sngs, so I played those for most of 2006 until hitting a big down in november.

I then quit poker for month an actually managed to get to work on my thesis.

I am not quite sure how much I earned in 2006, nothing earth shattering, but somehow I managed to pay the rent month after month.

Returned to cash in march and just crushed uNL and SSNL. Didn't do to well at 400NL, so I got a coach, experimented a lot spewed 4K on playing überLAG ... but am now satisfied with my game.

Having to cash out all the time makes building a roll difficult, so I haven't been rolled for 400NL like evar, so for the time being I usually play 100 and 200NL.

HighSteaks 07-14-2007 09:13 AM

Do you use a HUD? I've got about as far as looking at a villains VPIP and particularly PFR before I get involved with him preflop, and I guess I notice high agro and high fold BB to steal. Have you had any big breakthroughs using HUD's where what you saw changed the way you play online or do you think they are overrated.

Gelford 07-14-2007 09:18 AM

[ QUOTE ]
you recently made a big rowithrawo trip to 25 and 50nl before returning to 100.

can you detail the main ajdustments you make to your play between these three levels?

(specific stuff like getting b3b when i have xx is a fold at 25 but a call at 50 would be great)

[/ QUOTE ]

I actually approached the whole thing wrong, I went ... oh well, those levels suck, so I'm just going to fire up 8-9 tables, nit it up and profit.

The boredom of this exercise made play like [censored].

I am best 3-4 tabling and playing slightly gong-ho poker based on the actual villians, once I returned to that, I just tore up true the limits.

But here is a bit of Gelfordness ... the fact of the matter is, that there is no limit specific adjustment, all this talk about playing this a way at 25NL and this way at 200NL is meh.

Poker is about individual opponents and spotting these.

At 25NL there are more scared nitty multitabling regs. Their 3betting (and more ranges are something like QQ+ and nothing else), you can abuse them and fold anything but KK+ to resistance.

Then there are those, where you can felt AJ, 88+ preflop. ... etc etc.

But pay attention is all I can say ??

Genz 07-14-2007 09:20 AM

What timing tells do you pick up? What does a quick check, a quick call, a long wait before a call, a long wait before a raise or bet, a quick raise etc. mean for you? How does your estimation depend on the way he has been playing, e.g. is a slow call by a TAG player rather strength than weakness and the other way round if he was a passive calling station?

How do you handle the swings?

How do you control tilt?

Please vote on my pole: Natalie Portman

Gelford 07-14-2007 09:21 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Do you use a HUD? I've got about as far as looking at a villains VPIP and particularly PFR before I get involved with him preflop, and I guess I notice high agro and high fold BB to steal. Have you had any big breakthroughs using HUD's where what you saw changed the way you play online or do you think they are overrated.

[/ QUOTE ]

I have a HUD

I have vpip/pfr/AF/hands and then AF by street, wtsd and Att to Steal showing.

That being said, I think they are overrated and don't use it much. Basically it is a table selecting tool more than a decision making tool (in other words, I use the stats to determine if the table is good, but I use them less frequently to dertermine how to play during a hand, tho it is not like I never get influenced by my HUD)

Kimo White Devil 07-14-2007 09:28 AM

Thanks for doing that.

Non-poker related. You once said poker helped you get out of your [censored] job and finish your thesis.

So now that you have a master degree (in economics, right?), whats your plan for job/poker?

what was your [censored] job?

I let others ask poker related questions.

Thanks,

K

LordBrun 07-14-2007 09:30 AM

Could you give some general advice on bet-sizing on the flop taking into account, position, number of opponents, the action before the flop, texture of the board etc. We took the initiative preflop.

spanks /lb

Gelford 07-14-2007 09:30 AM

[ QUOTE ]
What timing tells do you pick up? What does a quick check, a quick call, a long wait before a call, a long wait before a raise or bet, a quick raise etc. mean for you? How does your estimation depend on the way he has been playing, e.g. is a slow call by a TAG player rather strength than weakness and the other way round if he was a passive calling station?

[/ QUOTE ]

I always shake my head, when posters on 2+2 say that timing tell are not important.

To me they are crucial and I rely a lot on them. They are player dependent, good example with the tag and the passive you mention.

It is hard to say and often player/board dependent. A long think oop is either a sign of strength (often) or a inner discussion whether to bluff or not.

Quick check is often a marginal hand (tho once in a while it is followed by an insta c/r and showing of the nuts)

In generel there is a flow to a table, this guy is fast, this guy is a bit slower, and anything that does not fit into that flow is what I notice.

Gelford 07-14-2007 09:38 AM

[ QUOTE ]

How do you handle the swings?

How do you control tilt?

Please vote on my pole: Natalie Portman

[/ QUOTE ]

Well what can I say ... it is freaking poker, so chance is involved and if it wasn't then fish and donks wouldn't play (not much money involved in chess ... eh ??)

I can understand that a long strech of running bad makes you doubt yourself, but be honest about it, talk to some fellow 2+2ers or similar and work hard ... look for leaks.

But YO! .... most seem to view themselves like this

http://users.bandzoogle.com/sassyalt...ta_Shane_1.jpg

So if someone questions the size fo their epenis, it calls for this

http://www.huntrockcreekranch.com/mo...buck_fight.jpg

And then the cards don't fall their way and we have to listen to this ... sigh (man up for the love of God)

http://www.225.ca/ivan/nov03/crybaby.jpg

Gelford 07-14-2007 09:40 AM

Btw, Natalie Portman is way overrated, she is very pretty, but there is absolutely nothing sexy about her.

Gelford 07-14-2007 09:44 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Thanks for doing that.

Non-poker related. You once said poker helped you get out of your [censored] job and finish your thesis.

So now that you have a master degree (in economics, right?), whats your plan for job/poker?

Thanks,

K

[/ QUOTE ]

Sigh .. dunno yet, GF is hard on my case to get a job soon (she doesn't care what, as long as I have one), me ... well .... I really am not picky with regards to what I do, but I am looking for a place where I can just do my job and not have to play a zillion coorparate mindgames.

I was a consultant/salesperson/advisor ... whatever you call it in one of the largest realestate morgage firms. Primarily I pushed real estate loans, but also banking and insurance.

Gelford 07-14-2007 09:47 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Could you give some general advice on bet-sizing on the flop taking into account, position, number of opponents, the action before the flop, texture of the board etc. We took the initiative preflop.

spanks /lb

[/ QUOTE ]

Betsizing ... well the more opponents, the more you have to bet if you intend to bet.

But Holla ! ... listen to aba

Dry boards are kinda WA/WB situations, so you might not face a lot of heat (but might get worried if you actually do face heat) ... while wet board are slippery.

To that you need to consider if you opponent is tricky or straightforward.

The more trouble you envision the bigger you should bet, if you intend to bet that is ... and if you do not envision much heat, then you can allow yourself to scale down on your bet ... (and perhaps even practice pot control at some point ... [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img] ) [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

Kimo White Devil 07-14-2007 09:52 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Thanks for doing that.

Thanks,

K

[/ QUOTE ]

Sigh .. dunno yet, GF is hard on my case to get a job soon (she doesn't care what, as long as I have one), me ... well .... I really am not picky with regards to what I do, but I am looking for a place where I can just do my job and not have to play a zillion coorparate mindgames.

I was a consultant/salesperson/advisor ... whatever you call it in one of the largest realestate morgage firms. Primarily I pushed real estate loans, but also banking and insurance.

[/ QUOTE ]

How is your GF relationship regarding poker? As you and I are both 28+ and having an other-self, Id like your wisdom for the 2p2 kids on how to be able to happily mix poker and real-life. Sometimes, on my part its really hard to be both a father, husband and degenerate gambler...

Poker related, are you planning on ballin the levels up to say 50/100$ NL, or you goal would be a 10/20$, or like 400,600,1000NL?

Guruman 07-14-2007 09:53 AM

how do you tableselect/gameselect/seatselect?

what things cause you to want to sit down? what causes you to want to get up? do you have any non-hud related fish detection shortcuts?

thx!

Genz 07-14-2007 10:00 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Btw, Natalie Portman is way overrated, she is very pretty, but there is absolutely nothing sexy about her.

[/ QUOTE ]

Well, personal taste I guess. I like her style.

Anyway I got loads of new questions for you:

- What was the biggest leak that you discovered in your game and how did you fix it?

- How did you discover it?

- If you do, how do you go about finding leaks in your game? Do you or did you spend serious time on going over your or other people's (i.e. mined) hands and searched for things? What were the things that you found that were the most relevating?

- What does holla mean in the way you use it? ( [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img] couldn't resist)

- What are indicators that one should go seek a coach?

- What is the highest Limit that you think one can play recreationally, i.e. without having to have your mind on the game all the time, play everyday, keep up with who is good and who's not etc. How high can one play if one just wants to fire up a few tables and make a nice profit?

- What is the biggest mistake that you see people make over and over?

Gelford 07-14-2007 10:06 AM

[ QUOTE ]

How is your GF relationship regarding poker? As you and I are both 28+ and having an other-self, Id like your wisdom for the 2p2 kids on how to be able to happily mix poker and real-life. Sometimes, on my part its really hard to be both a father, husband and degenerate gambler...

Poker related, are you planning on ballin the levels up to say 50/100$ NL, or you goal would be a 10/20$, or like 400,600,1000NL?

[/ QUOTE ]

I dunno, I meet my GF a month before that fatefull friday in April 2005, where I got my first taste of poker, so she has been here all they way.

She has seen the worst:
The poker zombie, you know that state you are in, where you just wake up, don't shave nor anything, but just start by turning on your computer and while it boots, you make coffea and then start to play.

She has also experienced plenty of downswing (Oh honey, I just lot 2K last night) ... so she is used to it,

I think the secret is to actually be aware, and spend a few hours together each day ... the worst thing you can do is allow the zombie to take over.

Pokerwise I am not aiming for the sky and gambling with aba, PA and those guys.

1000NL is what I strive for and hope to reach ... (target date is new year)

Gelford 07-14-2007 10:09 AM

[ QUOTE ]
how do you tableselect/gameselect/seatselect?

what things cause you to want to sit down? what causes you to want to get up? do you have any non-hud related fish detection shortcuts?

thx!

[/ QUOTE ]

At uNL the player pool is huge, but already at 100NL I know most of the regs. I basically scan the tables and if there is a good deal of unknowns, I sit.

Gelford 07-14-2007 10:21 AM

[ QUOTE ]

Anyway I got loads of new questions for you:

- What was the biggest leak that you discovered in your game and how did you fix it?

[/ QUOTE ]

My biggest leak was not threebetting light ... I discovered it on returning to cash from sngs recently and believe it was one of the biggest reasons I didn't beat 50NL for more than 2ptbb last time around. (somewhere in the first months of 2006)

My other big leak was to try and force the action when running bad, I used to play chess ... and so I am used to that you have to muscle yourself out of a bad spot if in anyway possible. Poker doesn't really allow that in the same fashion.

[ QUOTE ]

- If you do, how do you go about finding leaks in your game? Do you or did you spend serious time on going over your or other people's (i.e. mined) hands and searched for things? What were the things that you found that were the most relevating?

[/ QUOTE ]

Actually this is a huge leak of mine to this day, I don't review my sessions ... I might while playing look up a HH and fire up stove .... and I am often thinking about the previous hand, while playing, but ....

But the way I improved my game the most is simply by posting here on 2+2. I never posted many of my own hands, but I typed reply to practically every hand here at some point, not being afraid of calling people out if I disagreed (else this place deteriates into one liners)

Do a search on me in march and you'll see what I mean. (since then I've mostly been active in the brew)

[ QUOTE ]

- What does holla mean in the way you use it? ( [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img] couldn't resist)

[/ QUOTE ]

It originates with Raptor517 and the STTF forum ... and means Holla !

[ QUOTE ]

- What are indicators that one should go seek a coach?

[/ QUOTE ]

You have money left to spare and/or havent made any progress in a while.

[ QUOTE ]

- What is the highest Limit that you think one can play recreationally, i.e. without having to have your mind on the game all the time, play everyday, keep up with who is good and who's not etc. How high can one play if one just wants to fire up a few tables and make a nice profit?

[/ QUOTE ]

If you don't want to practice any table selection, then 100NL (maybe higher, but 100NL fo sho)

[ QUOTE ]

- What is the biggest mistake that you see people make over and over?

[/ QUOTE ]

Being full of themselves.

Gelford 07-14-2007 10:32 AM

But on the timing tells:

Yeah, a quick check is very rarely massive strength

Genz 07-14-2007 10:41 AM

ok, one more:

how do you start a session? Do you go full force right from the beginning or do you start slow and warm up? I find myself often losing big pots at the very beginning when I'm trying to "exploit" unknowns.

Gelford 07-14-2007 10:44 AM

[ QUOTE ]
ok, one more:

how do you start a session? Do you go full force right from the beginning or do you start slow and warm up? I find myself often losing big pots at the very beginning when I'm trying to "exploit" unknowns.

[/ QUOTE ]

The only way to get reads on people is by betting into them, so while I might not try wierd [censored] readless, I am very active in the first orbits.

Genz 07-14-2007 10:47 AM

You don't like the idea of letting others bet into them? [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]

BTW: thanks for doing this.

Gelford 07-14-2007 10:48 AM

[ QUOTE ]
You don't like the idea of letting others bet into them? [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]

BTW: thanks for doing this.

[/ QUOTE ]

No, cos then you are making reads on how they react to the other players but not how they react to you (tho at uNL there most likely is no difference)

bozzer 07-14-2007 10:54 AM

thanks for previous answers. last one otherwise i will be spamming the thread too much..

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

For me, the hardest part of playing aggressively (which just seems to be my nature) is working out whether someone is capable of adjusting to my aggression and whether they are playing back at me this time.

All too often I'm like 'ok I've been attacking them a lot so this is probably a fightback time to repop with TT' and they show up with a hand that I thought would be at the top of their range. Any thoughts on how to work out if villain is annoyed and coming after you?

edit to add some less heavy questions:

favourite smiley?

favourite HS players?

favourite posters (any game/stakes)? any names i might not have heard of?

what's your set-up?

Genz 07-14-2007 10:56 AM

If he is still playing tight, then Harrington's saying that villain won't say "I'm gonna bust that punk with AJo for all my chips now" is still true. Only when they start loosening up, calling each of your raises, 3bet you 2 times out of 3, I'd say they are really adjusting.

Gelford 07-14-2007 10:59 AM

[ QUOTE ]
thanks for previous answers. last one otherwise i will be spamming the thread too much..

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

For me, the hardest part of playing aggressively (which just seems to be my nature) is working out whether someone is capable of adjusting to my aggression and whether they are playing back at me this time.

All too often I'm like 'ok I've attacking them a lot so this is probably a fightback time to repop with TT' and they show up with a hand that I thought would be at the top of their range. Any thoughts on how to work out if villain is annoyed and coming after you?

[/ QUOTE ]

Just give them credit the first time around, but if they are starting to fight back consitantly, then it is time to either tightening up or/and gambooling on lighter values (depending on your preference/style)

Gelford 07-14-2007 10:59 AM

[ QUOTE ]
If he is still playing tight, then Harrington's saying that villain won't say "I'm gonna bust that punk with AJo for all my chips now" is still true. Only when they start loosening up, calling each of your raises, 3bet you 2 times out of 3, I'd say they are really adjusting.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yo Genz !!!!!!

My well ... not yours [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]

ama0330 07-14-2007 11:12 AM

1) how old are you?
2) why are you so damn old?
3) did you try and bluff me in a 3bet pot because you are senile?
4) whats it like to be really really old?

thx

[img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

Genz 07-14-2007 11:13 AM

I'm a smart-ass. I can't act against my nature.

Magaca 07-14-2007 11:16 AM

How many tables are you playing at a time?

jonyy6788 07-14-2007 11:19 AM

how old are you?

current spewtard stats?

I've been experimenting w/ 25/22 lately and actually playing poker. How often do u c-bet HU? Also, it seems to me that it's almost easier so far to play postflop at 25/22 than it is to play 17/14. When playin nitty everyone reads my range apparently and so far at the higher stats people seem to play fit/fold and really think that I'm gonna shove 100BBs into their nuts. Have u found the same?