Two Plus Two Newer Archives

Two Plus Two Newer Archives (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/index.php)
-   Video Games (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/forumdisplay.php?f=77)
-   -   Sony is digging the hole deeper (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/showthread.php?t=450223)

BuckyK 07-13-2007 12:45 PM

Sony is digging the hole deeper

http://www.gamesindustry.biz/content_page.php?aid=26704

[ QUOTE ]
SCEE president David Reeves has told GamesIndustry.biz that the 60GB PlayStation 3 will no longer be available in the US after stock sells out - which he predicts will occur by the end of the month.
Reeves was speaking at an E3 event to announce the introduction of a new PS3 bundle in Europe. When asked about possible criticisms over whether SCEE should have given consumers the option to pay a lower price, as SCEA has done, he replied, "Well, they're not really are they, because what the US are offering from the 1st of August is a USD 599 version with one game.
"All they're doing is taking their stock in trade that they've got at the moment of the 60GB model, marking the price down and it will all be gone by the end of July."
When asked to clarify if this will mean the end of the 60GB model, Reeves answered, "In America, yes."
SCEA announced a USD 100 price cut for PlayStation 3 earlier this week. A new 80GB model will come bundled with a copy of Motorstorm and will retail for USD 599.

[/ QUOTE ]

So the only reason Sony dropped the price is to get rid of their inventory in order to sell a PS3 with 20 gigs of more memory? Oh, and they're dropping the emotion chip for a software emulator which is going to reduce the amount of games that will be backward compatible. People were reluctant to spend $600 in the first place, and the added "value" is pretty much negligible to the average gamer. I wonder if I need to rethink which system to buy.

Soul Daddy 07-13-2007 01:02 PM

Re: Sony is digging the hole deeper

I have a hard time believing this one. If it's true, they have truly lost their collective minds.

I will absolutely not buy a PS3 if it doesn't play pretty much every PS2 disc.

Blarg 07-13-2007 01:12 PM

Moving to software emulation is something that would put me WAY off of buying a console type.

4 High 07-13-2007 01:36 PM

Keep in mind Sonys Emulation rate is going to be alot higher then MS.

But either way, this is a horrible move for them.

Dire 07-13-2007 01:54 PM

Wow. I haven't exactly been Sony's biggest fan since the PS3, but even I'm having a hard time believing this.

wonderwes 07-13-2007 04:22 PM

From the numbers they made about production, I would not be surprised if they are still producing 60gig PS3s right now. Everyone is worried about the Emotion chip not in the new model. Firmware can always be upgraded. I wouldn't be surprised if they have over 1mil in 60gigs still left in inventory across the states.

buckslayer80 07-13-2007 05:19 PM

I've been following this whole thing and just heard ab this aspect. If this is true, God help them bc they surely won't survie pulling crap like this on consumers. Who the hell wants Motorstorm anyways?

And the bigger HD, aren't the hard drives inside standard 2.5 inch laptop drives? Any moron can swap them out for much cheaper.

Duke 07-13-2007 07:41 PM

This sort of behavior is why Blu-Ray == Beta. It will die.

Thanir 07-13-2007 11:20 PM

SCEA told Next-Gen:
[ QUOTE ]
The 60GB PS3 will be available in North America for $499 until supplies of that unit are depleted. We have ample inventory to meet the immediate needs of consumers in this territory for several months to come. We won't be making any further announcements regarding our PS3 model hardware strategy in North America until the 60GB model is exhausted and market conditions are evaluated.

[/ QUOTE ]

Full article here

gfire3245 07-14-2007 09:32 AM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Thats dumb. Then don't tell me you bought a 360.

ematz 07-14-2007 12:48 PM

Old Maddox article about Sony.

Soul Daddy 07-14-2007 02:37 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
Not yet, no. I will buy one of the two eventually. The way I see it there are two main reasons to select the PS3 over the 360 at this point: 1) Blu-ray 2) The huge library of PS2 games that I have yet to play. Take one of those away and it seems to be a pretty clear decision to me.

Dire 07-14-2007 02:40 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

While this is a bit unfair, right now a PS3 gamer is probably going to spend alot more of his time playing PS2 games than a 360 gamer is going to spend playing original XBox games. There just isn't much of a library for the PS3 yet, while the 360 has a massive and rapidly growing library.

FWIW, backwards compatability was the exact reason I planned on purchasing a PS3 at launch. My PS2 broke and I missed out on a good deal of games, but $600 was too much just for that at launch. And everything they've done since launch... well that hasn't convinced me either, to put it one way.

wonderwes 07-14-2007 06:56 PM

http://i9.photobucket.com/albums/a79...ingofdeath.jpg

Thanir 07-14-2007 07:26 PM

And that pic means what? I have a launch day unit that has had no issues, and ms has increased the warranty to 3 years. Sure a lot of vocal people have had probs, but also a lot of people have had no issues (including the 5 360's friends have.)

Soul Daddy 07-14-2007 08:17 PM

Thanir,

I think that pic represents what should be #3 on my list.

Hume 07-14-2007 08:59 PM

[ QUOTE ]
SCEA told Next-Gen:
[ QUOTE ]
The 60GB PS3 will be available in North America for $499 until supplies of that unit are depleted. We have ample inventory to meet the immediate needs of consumers in this territory for several months to come. We won't be making any further announcements regarding our PS3 model hardware strategy in North America until the 60GB model is exhausted and market conditions are evaluated.

[/ QUOTE ]

Full article here

[/ QUOTE ]

How about everyone stops being chicken little running around screaming and actually get all the information first. Obviously sony can't sell the 60GB and the 80GB version at the same price and they're obviously not stupid enough to announce that the price of the 80GB will drop when the 60GB is sold out.

Hume 07-14-2007 09:01 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

While this is a bit unfair, right now a PS3 gamer is probably going to spend alot more of his time playing PS2 games than a 360 gamer is going to spend playing original XBox games. There just isn't much of a library for the PS3 yet, while the 360 has a massive and rapidly growing library.

[/ QUOTE ]

When did you buy your 360, if I may ask?

Thanir 07-14-2007 09:39 PM

[ QUOTE ]
How about everyone stops being chicken little running around screaming and actually get all the information first.

[/ QUOTE ]
I don't think that was my intention. I only linked some facts that I found on another site. I figured since there was a thread here, people might want what info was out there, especially since this was an official statement coming from SCEA.

I haven't been throwing any of my own opinions about this who Sony deal at all, just been providing a little info and links [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img] Btw I do have my own opinions about this but I am sure they vary greatly from yours.

Personally I'm just a gamer who just wants everyone to enjoy whatever system they chose. Hell if the PS3 had more/better games I would own one of these by now, but instead I'm going to get a new gaming PC [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

jalexand42 07-14-2007 10:16 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I have a hard time believing this one. If it's true, they have truly lost their collective minds.

[/ QUOTE ]

THis is why i went ahead and picked up a PS3. If this is important to you, what better time to buy than with the $100 price cut?

Soul Daddy 07-14-2007 10:32 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

THis is why i went ahead and picked up a PS3. If this is important to you, what better time to buy than with the $100 price cut?

[/ QUOTE ]
If I knew for sure that the PS3 was the system I wanted to buy, then I'd share your reasoning. However, I'm still in the evaluation process and I'm not going to jump through Sony's hoops for what, in my opinion, basically amounts to scare tactics.

Dire 07-15-2007 12:34 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

A bit after it became possible to get one and Oblivion came out. Somewhere around April 2006 or so. Why?

rjoefish 07-15-2007 03:34 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I bought my 360 at a midnight sale the day it came out, never had a single problem with it.

Hume 07-15-2007 04:02 PM

[ QUOTE ]
A bit after it became possible to get one and Oblivion came out. Somewhere around April 2006 or so. Why?

[/ QUOTE ]

What has changed your mind between april and now about buying a system that features software emulation yet doesn't have a massive library.

fiskebent 07-15-2007 05:50 PM

[ QUOTE ]
What has changed your mind between april and now about buying a system that features software emulation yet doesn't have a massive library.

[/ QUOTE ]
Why do you think his mind has changed? The difference is that now you have a choice between next-gen consoles. You didn't in april 2006.

Dire 07-15-2007 06:04 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Like Fiske said - there was no decision back then. It was 360 or nothing. Although even back then the 360 had some pretty decent games for it: Oblivion, Ghost Recon, Project Gotham Racing 3, Dead or Alive 4, Geometry Wars and the other arcade games (Smash TV, etc for nostalgia!).

But yeah - I do see your point. It's why I admitted my comment was a bit unfair. But unfair or not, it's the truth for now at least.

TheSalche 07-16-2007 02:39 AM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

= $1.2 billion loss for you = slight hassle of sending your machine back in

I mean, if you want to go with the PS3 cause Sony has been in the gaming biz longer, but disregard how weak their E3 showing was compared to Wii and 360.

Hume 07-16-2007 07:55 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I mean, if you want to go with the PS3 cause Sony has been in the gaming biz longer, but disregard how weak their E3 showing was compared to Wii and 360.

[/ QUOTE ]

Wtf, which E3 are you talking about?

AceLuby 07-16-2007 10:45 AM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

uhhh no, HD-DVD is losing. Blue-ray has more (and bigger) companies that will only be on Blue-ray, plus as of now, it has more movies on it. Also, Blockbuster will no longer be buying HD-DVD's due to the fact that 70% of their HD sales are Blue-ray. If anything HD-DVD will go the route of Beta.

Soul Daddy 07-16-2007 11:03 AM

Would Blu-Ray = LaserDisc be a more apt comparison?

Blarg 07-16-2007 12:46 PM

Probably not. Laser disc was out for years and there wasn't an equivalent back then for it to fight with.

Dire 07-16-2007 03:15 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

uhhh no, HD-DVD is losing.

[/ QUOTE ]

Nobody's winning or losing right now. The high definition media market barely exists! Of the very few purchased standalone units, the vast majority are HD-DVD. But again that really means nothing since the numbers you're considering are just miniscule. At one time beta had 100% market share.

There's also a few interesting upcoming 'monkey wrenches'. Streaming / downloadable HD content is definitely one. Eg- you can now download numerous HD movies on XBox Live without any need of a player. And Disney, one of blu-rays most significant exclusive brands, just signed on to start offering HD content for Live as well. It'd be interesting to compare total HD downloads to the total number of HD movies purchased/rented.

Nicholasp27 07-16-2007 04:08 PM

there is a reason why the market barely exists...there isn't much of a need for one at this time

dvds caught on because they gave new FEATURES such as no rewinding, longevity and extra scenes/commentaries/etc

all these do is up the quality...which consumers don't care about as much; that's why even hdtvs are slower to be adapted than u would think...they are really being driven these days by the plasmas/lcds which have the FEATURE of being able to be mounted on wall...while they grew slower when just CRTs and rear-projections

u see it time and time again; consumers will rapidly adopt new features, but not simply higher quality...cds had diff features over tapes; consumers didn't care much about the better quality...mp3 players have diff features over cd players, with lower quality than cd players...

also, all of the next-gen dvds should be dual-format, compatible with current players so that u buy the movie once and then can use it on any dvd player, computer etc but then use it on ur hd/bluray when u have that for better quality

but i'm not paying $30 for an hd/bluray disc so that i can only play it on one player in my house; i can't use it in my laptop or on plane/trip in my portable player; i can't take it to a friend's house or use it in my bedroom...not doing that when i can buy the non-hd one for $10

and i'm a HUGE advocate of hd...i have 3 of them and have my house wired for hd-distribution to every room (in which case i can have just one hd/bluray in my house but watch it in any room i want), but i can see why they aren't catching on better

the 360/ps3 are giving it a chance tho, so hopefully one day one will win AND dvds will come dual-format, or with the standard one also included...or else hd/bluray players will be sub-100 and portable ones will be around 100 so then it'll make sense to switch all players and then they are more useful...of course, it also helps if they start selling for teens when new and then 3-5 year old ones end up selling for 5.50/9/10 at walmart like u have with reg ones now

Quadstriker 07-16-2007 06:56 PM

Fine points, Nicholas.

4 High 07-16-2007 08:23 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

= $1.2 billion loss for you = slight hassle of sending your machine back in

[/ QUOTE ]

Did you watch This years E3? All 3 companies had pretty weak showings, but i think most people thought Sony had one of the better ones.

Thanir 07-16-2007 08:38 PM

Microsoft's E3 showing was pretty weak. I was pretty disappointed that I watched it live online, when I could've been doin something else. E3 just as a whole kinda sucked though.

Dire 07-16-2007 09:14 PM

Are people mostly upset about the lack of shocking news at E3? Nothing shocking may have transpired, but it was a nice summary of what's coming this year. There are more top tier games coming out in 2007 than there've been in a very very long time.

The 360 has Halo 3, GTA IV, Enteral Sonata, Project Gotham Racing 4, Rock Band, Lost Odyssey, tons of arcade games (my girlfriend was freaking out about Marathon - the first FPS she ever played), etc.. The Wii has Super Mario Galaxy, Metroid Prime 3, Super Smash Bros Brawl, the next Mario Kart, etc.. The PS3 has Home.

It wasn't anything shocking. It was just a general advertising conference. E3 has always been very mainstream and televising / streaming it over the net just brings that to a whole new level. This is pretty much what I was expecting - and I was satisfied. I've never been looking forward to so many games before, and E3 offered a great review of what's coming.

pergesu 07-16-2007 09:36 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Are people mostly upset about the lack of shocking news at E3? Nothing shocking may have transpired, but it was a nice summary of what's coming this year. There are more top tier games coming out in 2007 than there've been in a very very long time.

The 360 has Halo 3, GTA IV, Enteral Sonata, Project Gotham Racing 4, Rock Band, Lost Odyssey, tons of arcade games (my girlfriend was freaking out about Marathon - the first FPS she ever played), etc.. The Wii has Super Mario Galaxy, Metroid Prime 3, Super Smash Bros Brawl, the next Mario Kart, etc.. The PS3 has Home, GTA IV, Rock Band, Lair, Stranglehold, Warhawk, Heavenly Sword, Ratchet & Clank Future, Uncharted, Killzone 2, MGS4.

[/ QUOTE ]

The ones I added are just the exclusives. PS3 has a bunch of cool multiplatform games coming along like GTA IV, RB, COD4, Assassin's Creed, etc.

pergesu 07-16-2007 10:23 PM

Stranglehold isn't an exclusive, sorry. I just heard it hyped for PS3 because it comes with the movie Hard Boiled on blu-ray

Shoe 07-16-2007 10:52 PM

Rock band is not exclusive either. Not sure about the others.