Two Plus Two Newer Archives

Two Plus Two Newer Archives (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/index.php)
-   Medium Stakes Limit (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/forumdisplay.php?f=55)
-   -   Shorthanded river spot (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/showthread.php?t=450026)

Nate. 07-13-2007 05:24 AM

Shorthanded river spot

Four-handed live 20-40.

Button is Goofball, who knows who I am on 2+2 and that Justin A is "always telling [me] [I'm] too aggro." But I've played too passively, if anything, in this session so far. (Rotating cast of opponents: a loose-passive guy, a looser-more-passive guy, Justin A, and Goofball.)

Goofball opens the button. (He's shown an ability to open-limp the cutoff, for whatever that's worth.) I threebet J[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]J[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] out of the SB. BB calls and Goofball calls.

Flop A[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]A[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]Q[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]. I bet, BB folds, Goofball calls.

Turn 9[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]. Check-check.

River 4[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]. Bet or checkraise?

--Nate

private joker 07-13-2007 06:22 AM

Re: Shorthanded river spot

He's never calling a checkraise, because goofball plays good. But I doubt he's calling a bet either. He has a missed draw a lot of the time here, because he ain't peeling the flop with a pocker pair. I think the right play is check, and if you're lucky enough to get him to bet, you should merely flat-call for two reasons:

a) he won't call a raise anyway
b) you'll get the chance to slowroll when he flips over KT and proudly says "king high!" to which you shake your head, exhale briefly through your nose in a little frustrated laugh, nod a couple times, tap your cards to the table, and say "I knew you had nothing" and then go to fold but then find pocket jacks on your way to the muck. Laugh and take his chips.

PokerBob 07-13-2007 06:51 AM

bet the turn.

EDIT: nah. don't

Bill C 07-13-2007 09:22 AM

[ QUOTE ]
b) you'll get the chance to slowroll when he flips over KT and proudly says "king high!" to which you shake your head, exhale briefly through your nose in a little frustrated laugh, nod a couple times, tap your cards to the table, and say "I knew you had nothing" and then go to fold but then find pocket jacks on your way to the muck. Laugh and take his chips.

[/ QUOTE ]

LOLOLOL!!
If there was a manual for slowrollers, this should be in it!
Hilarious!

bc

ProfessorBen 07-13-2007 10:04 AM

Are we c/c or c/f the turn?

bugstud 07-13-2007 11:03 AM

I presume this is the game where both justin and patrick are super drunk, fwiw.

DeathDonkey 07-13-2007 11:25 AM

[ QUOTE ]
bet the turn.

EDIT: nah. don't

[/ QUOTE ]

I like a turn bet and a river bet for value. As played bet and get called by king or jack high. These shorthanded 2+2er filled games are always showdown monkey fests where any pair is the nuts.

-DeathDonkey

Nate. 07-13-2007 04:24 PM

Bugstud--

There was some beer around when I showed up but I didn't get a super-drunk vibe. I also thought Justin played very well (for the 35 or however many hands I played with him).

DeathDonkey--

Thanks for this comment. I'm pretty sure you're right in a drunken game, but things were a bit more serious the other night. Though I'm not sure that makes a bet incorrect.

Ben--

I was check-calling the turn unless some on-the-spot soul-reading dictated otherwise.

Joker--

Excellent point. That's the sort of insight I come to 2+2 for.

--Nate

love2tittyfuk 07-13-2007 04:40 PM

Why not bet turn and river?

I don't know what kind of goofball this player is but I can't see him checking an Ace on the turn. Also if he had A+j,q,k he probably would have capped with position. I would put him on a nut diamond draw or small pp.....eh maybe KQ of hearts?

Nate. 07-13-2007 04:50 PM

love2--

Not that I don't think betting the turn is right--it's somewhere between close and definitely right--but I think that it's a little misguided to put someone on a very narrow range after he raises the button, calls a threebet, and calls this flop.

I was considering checkraising the river because I thought he'd have to bet many of his hands for value and he might bluff with some of them too. But I'm pretty sure it's better to just let him call (especially because he'll fold a lot of his hands to the raise).

--Nate

drbk2 07-13-2007 06:14 PM

I would bet the turn, check the river. I think by checking the turn you leave yourself very vulnerable to getting outplayed as a lot of tougher players would put you on a hand that you have and test you with a bet.

That being said, I don't understand why goofball would check the turn here. If the board were not paired, I would understand checking behind with a hand like JhTx or some other broadway gutshot/flush draw combo, but not taking a shot here seems to be pretty bad.

Nate. 07-13-2007 06:32 PM

drbk2--

OK, so often this question is a passive-aggressive assertion that checking is better, but that's not the case here; I'm just curious. What would you do against a turn raise?

--Nate

Vehn 07-13-2007 08:04 PM

betting both turn and river for value is dumb

Justin A 07-13-2007 08:12 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Bugstud--

There was some beer around when I showed up but I didn't get a super-drunk vibe. I also thought Justin played very well (for the 35 or however many hands I played with him).

[/ QUOTE ]

Goofball was super super drunk fwiw. I was kinda drunk but playing very seriously because I wanted to bust this random guy who was talking [censored] all night and was the reason we were playing 20/40 in the first place instead of the 4/8 that the game originally was.

goofball 07-14-2007 12:54 AM

Wow, I only very vaguely remember this hand. I don't remember what I had or what the river action was.

drbk2 07-14-2007 02:29 AM

[ QUOTE ]
drbk2--

OK, so often this question is a passive-aggressive assertion that checking is better, but that's not the case here; I'm just curious. What would you do against a turn raise?

--Nate

[/ QUOTE ]

I never played against goofball, but I think a very good two plus twoer knowing he's up against another very good two plus twoer would make a fold to a turn raise here pretty standard. In my experience, the better two players are in a heads up pot, the more straightforward the hand is played.

goofball 07-15-2007 12:23 PM

what the hell happened? :-) I'm interested in the results more than anyone!

emerson 07-15-2007 12:45 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Four-handed live 20-40.

Button is Goofball, who knows who I am on 2+2 and that Justin A is "always telling [me] [I'm] too aggro." But I've played too passively, if anything, in this session so far. (Rotating cast of opponents: a loose-passive guy, a looser-more-passive guy, Justin A, and Goofball.)

Goofball opens the button. (He's shown an ability to open-limp the cutoff, for whatever that's worth.) I threebet J[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]J[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] out of the SB. BB calls and Goofball calls.

Flop A[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]A[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]Q[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]. I bet, BB folds, Goofball calls.

--Nate

[/ QUOTE ]

If you really believe that he will call a bet on the river with a K high butsted draw, then bet. However, I think you have a better chance of getting a bet out of him by checking to induce a bluff.

I don't see the point of a check raise. What does the raise get that the call would not get? If you succeed in inducing a bluff you win the pot by calling. If he calls a river check raise you are probably beat.

Nate. 07-16-2007 12:38 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Four-handed live 20-40.

--Nate

[/ QUOTE ]

If you really believe that he will call a bet on the river with a K high butsted draw, then bet. However, I think you have a better chance of getting a bet out of him by checking to induce a bluff.

I don't see the point of a check raise. What does the raise get that the call would not get? If you succeed in inducing a bluff you win the pot by calling. If he calls a river check raise you are probably beat.

[/ QUOTE ]

Emerson--

My thinking was that he can beat two jacks roughly 1% of the time after he checks behind on the the turn. As for his calling the checkraise... it's shorthanded and he's skeptical of me. You never know.

--Nate

Nate. 07-16-2007 12:39 AM

[ QUOTE ]
what the hell happened? :-) I'm interested in the results more than anyone!

[/ QUOTE ]

***RESULTS***

I bet and Goofball called. I showed two jacks. Goofball messed around with his chips for a while. Justin A pre-emptively yelled at Goofball for being a jerk and slowrolling. Then both Justin and I realized he was just paying me off.

Looks like Goofball's holding has been lost to history.

--Nate

Maliant 07-16-2007 12:46 AM

Checking is slightly better than betting.

rafiki 07-16-2007 10:15 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Checking is slightly better than betting.

[/ QUOTE ]

I think in this instance, because he was so much knowledge of the other player, that betting is still better.