Two Plus Two Newer Archives

Two Plus Two Newer Archives (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/index.php)
-   Televised Poker (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/forumdisplay.php?f=39)
-   -   Upcoming WPT Ladies Night V: Who should/will be @ the table? (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/showthread.php?t=448574)

J.C. Gloves 07-11-2007 01:30 PM

Upcoming WPT Ladies Night V: Who should/will be @ the table?

Ok I was looking @ the upcoming Live Tournaments calender and I saw that this was coming up soon again on the WPT. I didn't wanna forget about it so time to post :b. I agree that watching the ladies play can be mind-numbing sometimes, but who should be @ the table is up for debate amirite?

Last year they chose the players based on merit, so if they continue to do this I think I have the table picked out. Given that there have been no repeat players except for the winners this is what I came up with after a lil research (including results/stats):

First, Honorable mentions-
Jennifer "Jennicide" Leigh: 45th/466 @ '06 Legends ($15,530)
Esther Rossi: 44th/349 @ '06 Mandalay Bay ($13,440)
Jolyn Thompson: 18th/294 @ '07 World Poker Open [Tunica] ($22,850)
Melissa Hayden: 80th/639 @ '07 WPT Championship ($46,410)

Here is the actual table (Well, what I think/want anyway):
1-Joanne "J.J" Liu
http://farm1.static.flickr.com/156/4...f7a58e179c.jpg
The first seat is always reserved for the defending champion, but J.J. definitely could have earned her spot if she had to. She finished 2nd/450 to Ted Forrest @ '07 Bay 101 Shooting Star for $600K. J.J. is due to give birth in late August so she may end up skipping this...

2-Brandi Hawbaker
http://content.imagesocket.com/image...bakerd2e98.jpg
Let's face it, we all wanna see her, we all wanna make fun of her and we all wanna critique her play; but she did turn one satellite win into a cash on the WPT. 35th/433 @ '06 Festa Al Lago ($20,875)

3-Anna Wroblewski
http://www.pokernews.com/files_en/re...e84bea8db7.jpg
Her story is tailor-made for TV and her record in just a short amount of time speaks for itself. She did finish 70th/639 @ the '07 WPT Championship ($46,410) to qualify for this just in time BTW.

4-Mimi Tran
http://farm1.static.flickr.com/102/2...acc809fd91.jpg
Mimi has been around a while, but she doesn't go out of her way to get noticed. She just lets her results do the talking, and Barry G. of course. I think the one in bold should be enough:
20th/433 @ '06 Festa Al Lago ($33,395)
3rd/609 @ '06 World Poker Finals [Foxwoods] ($472,228)
24th/475 @ '07 World Poker Challenge [Reno] ($11,391)

5-Kristy Gazes
http://www.pokernews.com/files_en/re...62e76e58e4.jpg
Kristy has been on fire this year cashing left and right. If there was a big buy-in tourney going on, chances are she was going deep in it:
29th/384 @ '06 Mirage ($16,647)
49th/349 @ '06 Mandalay Bay ($13,440)
42nd/583 @ '06 Five-Diamond ($33,830)
16th/791 @ '07 LAPC ($58,470)

6-Qualifier~The Bike has always reserved this seat to the winner of the Ladies tournament held during Legends. So who will be the next Kelli Griggs...? [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]

Plzplzplz WPT make this happen kthx [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

stryker1313 07-11-2007 01:43 PM

Re: Upcoming WPT Ladies Night V: Who should/will be @ the table?

I like your picks but I think you have to put Katia Thjater over Hawbaker as only woman to get a bracelet this year.

J.C. Gloves 07-11-2007 02:09 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I like your picks but I think you have to put Katia Thjater over Hawbaker as only woman to get a bracelet this year.

[/ QUOTE ]
I'd love to see Katja play, but the "merit" is from the previous WPT season so sadly she wouldn't qualify.

Maybe if J.J. doesn't play they can put her in [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img].

olivert 07-25-2007 12:57 PM

Melissa Hayden actually cashed for nearly $90K during WPT Season V.

If you were to full the at-large spots based on Season V earnings, and to exclude those who have already played in previous ladies nights, the list wold look like this:

Mimi Tran
Kristy Gazes
Melissa Hayden
Laura Fink (Cashed over 50K at Tunica)

Anna Wroblewski, at 46K, would miss the cut.

--

There is a major Chinese Cold War-Era "political" issue with regards to the defending champion.

(Neither WPTE nor I were fully aware of the extent of the issue until a Chinese-language newspaper reporter in San Francisco brought up the issue to my attention after WPT Bay 101.)

If WPTE ever wants to seek a partnership with the Taiwan Ministry of Finance to be the exclusive online poker partner in Taiwan sometime in the future (i.e. after the 2008 general election, when the current ruling DPP party, whose leader was the lawyer of the defending champion, is expected to lose big against the original ruling KMT party due to an ongoing corruption scandal), then WPTE may potentially jeopardize its future business prospects in Taiwan if WPTE were to do any more business with the defending champion...

(Hint: do a Google search of the defending champion's name in Chinese characters, and you will know what I mean. And yes, WPTE officials are aware of the serious nature of what took place 20 years ago and what can potentially happen in the future depending on what action WPTE were to take with regards to the defending champion.)

Dima2000123 07-25-2007 01:08 PM

[ QUOTE ]
(Hint: do a Google search of the defending champion's name in Chinese characters, and you will know what I mean.)

[/ QUOTE ]
Thanks, that makes everything clear.

Bonified 07-25-2007 01:33 PM

Yeah, someone's got an issue with the defending champion.

(Hint: Do a 2+2 search of olivert, J.J Liu and agents getting their ass fired. English characters are fine).

JoeyStalin 07-25-2007 02:13 PM

According to wikipedia, in 1987, JJ Liu was involved in a financial dispute with a Chinese Air Force Pilot who had defected to South Korea in 1982. Older versions of the page also talk about a sexual element to the scandal. My guess is, because of her notoriety in this scandal, JJ is wortless to Full Tilt Poker or the WPT in Asia.

From wiki :
[ QUOTE ]
On October 16, 1982, PLAAF pilot Wu Ronggen flew his Shenyang J-6 from Wendeng to South Korean K16 air base in Seoul. Wu was rewarded 4,000 taels (approximately 200 kg) of gold. In 1987, Wu made headlines because he was involved in a financial dispute with Ms. Liu Jishun and the media claimed that this was part of the reason that after his honorable discharge from the Republic of China Air Force as a major, Wu emigrated to the United States. Wu was eventually married to Ms. Jiang Yuehui . (Note: Ms. Liu Jishun also emigrated to the United States, where she would become known in the world of professional tournament poker as Joanne J.J. Liu.)

[/ QUOTE ]

NickMPK 07-25-2007 02:31 PM

Is J.J. Liu the same person mentioned in "Positively Fifth Street" as "J.J. Bortner"? The description of Bortner sounds exactly like Liu, but if Liu is married to Dan Alspach, what is the story here?

Texter 07-25-2007 03:37 PM

Here are my nominees, after spending hours taking pics of fat guys...your eye starts to wander:

http://www.pokerlizard.com/images/WS...7%20EricaS.jpg

http://www.pokerlizard.com/images/WS...uroHottie2.jpg

http://www.pokerlizard.com/images/WS...andomGirl3.jpg

http://www.pokerlizard.com/images/WS...a%20maybe2.jpg

http://www.pokerlizard.com/images/WS...roReporter.jpg

http://www.pokerlizard.com/images/WS...EuroHottie.jpg

http://www.pokerlizard.com/images/WS...andomGirl2.jpg

http://www.pokerlizard.com/images/WS...07%20Katja.jpg

http://www.pokerlizard.com/images/WS...hatclevage.jpg

jogsxyz 07-25-2007 06:37 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Melissa Hayden actually cashed for nearly $90K during WPT Season V.

If you were to full the at-large spots based on Season V earnings, and to exclude those who have already played in previous ladies nights, the list wold look like this:

Mimi Tran
Kristy Gazes
Melissa Hayden
Laura Fink (Cashed over 50K at Tunica)

Anna Wroblewski, at 46K, would miss the cut.

[/ QUOTE ]

The qualifications standards are arbitrary. The WPTE could include secondary events at the WPT site. Then Schoenberg and Wroblewski would both qualify.

Kevmath 07-25-2007 08:03 PM

[ QUOTE ]

Is J.J. Liu the same person mentioned in "Positively Fifth Street" as "J.J. Bortner"? The description of Bortner sounds exactly like Liu, but if Liu is married to Dan Alspach, what is the story here?

[/ QUOTE ]

Yes.

olivert 07-26-2007 09:07 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Yes.

[/ QUOTE ]

Liu Jishun a.k.a. Liu Jishung a.k.a. Liu Chi-Shun a.k.a. Joanne Liu a.k.a. J.J. Liu was married to San Francisco Bay Area patent attorney Scott Bortner in the 1990's.

They had 2 children together prior to their divorce.

I understand that an ongoing financial dispute between Mr. Bortner and Ms. Liu still exists, with lawyers on both sides involved.

Ms. Liu married Dan Alspach last summer, prior to WPT Ladies Night IV.

olivert 07-26-2007 09:24 AM

An English-language newspaper article from The Taipei Times in August 2001, which I dug up with the assistance of San Francisco-based reporter Helen Yan of Ming Pao, was the final straw which got me fired:

http://www.taipeitimes.com/News/loca...1/08/29/100597

I was the one who had arranged Ms. Yan to do a feature story on Ms. Liu after WPT Bay 101. Ms. Yan's article was published by the San Francisco edition of Ming Pao on March 26, 2007 (in Chinese):

http://www.mingpaosf.com/ftp/News/20...26pgSFB02m.jpg

Both articles made serious allegations against Ms. Liu and her mother:

1. An alleged extortion/blackmail scheme which lasted about 18 months, involving about USD$300,000 (10 million New Taiwan dollars.)

2. Ms. Liu and her mother fled to the U.S. to avoid prosecution, as the U.S. and Taiwan had no diplomatic relations due to the "one China principle".

3. Ms. Liu's lawyer in Taiwan was Chen Shuibian, the same Chen Shuibian who is the leader of the DPP party and the president of Taiwan since 2000.

Conclusion: Ms. Liu's marketability in Taiwan is virtually ZERO (i.e. at the level of O.J. Simpson's marketability in the U.S.)

President Chen and his family have been involved in a corruption scandal since 2006, with his approval rating now hovering around 25%.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chen_Shuibian

I expect the DPP to lose big in the 2008 Taiwan general election, with the Nationalist Party, or the KMT, being back in power in 2009.

That means the following:

1. The KMT will be the political party which will decide which company will operate the government-owned online poker site on behalf of the Taiwan Ministry of Finance (which holds exclusivity on legalized gambling in Taiwan) a few years from now.

That means WPTE, FullTiltPoker.net, PartyPoker.net, etc. will have to toe the KMT party line if they ever want to do business in Taiwan.

2. Poker player agents who want to apply for explicit licenses to represent Taiwan citizens and do business in Taiwan will have to toe the KMT party line.

Ms. Liu technically fired me on March 30 when she informed me that I would not be retained to negotiate the renewal of her endorsement deal with FullTiltPoker.net in December.

The firing was the result of my provocation, after I brought to Ms. Liu's attention of the 2001 article in The Taipei Times, a media outlet which is pro-KMT and anti-DPP.

[ QUOTE ]
According to wikipedia, in 1987, JJ Liu was involved in a financial dispute with a Chinese Air Force Pilot who had defected to South Korea in 1982. Older versions of the page also talk about a sexual element to the scandal. My guess is, because of her notoriety in this scandal, JJ is wortless to Full Tilt Poker or the WPT in Asia.

From wiki :
[ QUOTE ]
On October 16, 1982, PLAAF pilot Wu Ronggen flew his Shenyang J-6 from Wendeng to South Korean K16 air base in Seoul. Wu was rewarded 4,000 taels (approximately 200 kg) of gold. In 1987, Wu made headlines because he was involved in a financial dispute with Ms. Liu Jishun and the media claimed that this was part of the reason that after his honorable discharge from the Republic of China Air Force as a major, Wu emigrated to the United States. Wu was eventually married to Ms. Jiang Yuehui . (Note: Ms. Liu Jishun also emigrated to the United States, where she would become known in the world of professional tournament poker as Joanne J.J. Liu.)

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

The Camel 07-26-2007 03:22 PM

Surely Victoria Coren who cashed for $1 million at the EPT London should get consideration for a place.

olivert 07-26-2007 04:24 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Surely Victoria Coren who cashed for $1 million at the EPT London should get consideration for a place.

[/ QUOTE ]

Probably NOT.

Remember that WPTE and PokerStars.net/EPT/APPT are now in direct competition as online poker websites in many markets, including the UK, Spain, and the Philippines.

Both Victoria Coren and Katja Thater are politically and monetarily aligned with PokerStars.net, which withdrew from the WPT after Season 5.

(The 2008 PokerStars.net Caribbean Adventure has switched from the WPT to the EPT.)

Industry "politics" always play a role in invitation-only events.

Indeed, PokerStars.net had a sponsored player in each of Ladies Night II (Sharon Goldman), III (Isabelle Mercier), and IV (Vanessa Rousso).

One would assume that Barry Greenstein should have lined up a single-event deal with PokerStars.net for Mimi Tran to cover WPT Ladies Night V.

--

Many, including myself, thought that Shannon Elizabeth might have been considered for WPT Ladies Night V.

However, Shannon Elizabeth switched her sponsorship from FullTiltPoker.net to PokerStars.net prior to the WSOP.

--

Given that WPT and PokerStars.net now go head-to-head
(the EPT event in Prague, Czech Republic now overlaps with WPT Bellagio 5 Diamonds, and the EPT Grand Final has been moved to April and now overlaps with the WPT Championship), one will have to assume that PokerStars.net will steer its sponsored players to play EPT events instead of WPT events.

The Camel 07-26-2007 05:20 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Both Victoria Coren and Katja Thater are politically and monetarily aligned with PokerStars.net, which withdrew from the WPT after Season 5.

(The 2008 PokerStars.net Caribbean Adventure has switched from the WPT to the EPT.)

[/ QUOTE ]

Is this true?

Pokerstars withdrew from the WPT rather than the WPT kicking them out?

Surprising to say the least.

olivert 07-26-2007 05:36 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Is this true?

[/ QUOTE ]

Not surprising at all.

PokerStars.net bankrolls both the EPT and the new Hong Kong-based Australia-centric APPT (with stops in Manila, Seoul, and Sydney.)

PokerStars.net had hired WPTE on a year-to-year basis to produce TV for the Caribbean Adventure. PokerStars.net chose not to hire WPTE for 2008.

The Camel 07-26-2007 06:11 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Is this true?

[/ QUOTE ]

Not surprising at all.

PokerStars.net bankrolls both the EPT and the new Hong Kong-based Australia-centric APPT (with stops in Manila, Seoul, and Sydney.)

PokerStars.net had hired WPTE on a year-to-year basis to produce TV for the Caribbean Adventure. PokerStars.net chose not to hire WPTE for 2008.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yes, it's surprising.

Surely Pokerstars is after as much exposure as possible.. and the WPT provides the biggest stage of all.

olivert 07-26-2007 06:18 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Is this true?

[/ QUOTE ]

Not surprising at all.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yes, it's surprising.

Surely Pokerstars is after as much exposure as possible.. and the WPT provides the biggest stage of all.

[/ QUOTE ]

No.

WPT Season 6 will air on GSN in the US and Canada.

Expected viewership of WPT on GSN will be around 500,000 viewers per episode during the first run, which is only about half what WSOP on ESPN can deliver in the US market alone.

The EPT has caught up to the WPT in many markets outside the U.S., including the UK and Canada.

In a market such as Germany, WPT is stuck on a digital cable channel in AXN while the likes of PokerStars.net/EPT, FullTiltPoker.net/Aussie Millions, and PartyPoker.net have purchased time on a basic analog cable channel in DSF, which also has the WSOP.

In other words, WPT is way behind its competitors EPT and the Aussie Millions in the German speaking markets (Germany, Austria, Switzerland).

You have to consider much more than the U.S. There is another world out there.

J.C. Gloves 07-26-2007 07:01 PM

Wowza...I'm not gonna speculate on the J.J. Liu situation only to say that I thought that she wasn't gonna play it anyways b/c of her pending child birth upcoming soon. Ok back to who should be @ the table tho:

Oliver,

IDK how I missed those other 2 cashes: the other one from Melissa Hayden @ WPT Fallsview in Canada [21st/497 ($48,293)] and the 1 from Laura Fink @ the $15K Five-Diamond in December [22nd/583 ($50,745)] so they should be there, but the table I chose should be the one adding in Melissa for the "vacancy". I still stand by Anna over Laura on the merit-scale OVERALL. They can still put her in there and scratch Brandi if you like [img]/images/graemlins/tongue.gif[/img].

Sorry Brandi [img]/images/graemlins/frown.gif[/img]

P.S. Erica has already done it (4th last year)

Lady Ashley 07-26-2007 07:20 PM

Kristy Gazes is absolutely my favorite female player. She is a great player and a lot of fun to watch at any table.

DonkeyChip 07-27-2007 09:58 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Kristy Gazes is absolutely my favorite female player. She is a great player and a lot of fun to watch at any table.

[/ QUOTE ]
Did you see the heads-up match between her and Chad Brown on the NBC HU Championship? I don't know much about her play, even after seeing that, but she looked really bad in that match. You can tell from her reactions that she is unaware of a couple of seemingly obvious things. She didn't see that Chad had the best hand on the 66669 board when she had 99 and Chad had an Ace...and it had to be specifically pointed out to her. Then later, when Chad says HE made a big mistake in that hand by not moving in on the river with the nuts...he again has to spell it out for her.

But she has good results. Maybe the HU thing was just nervousness of being at the featured table on national TV.

MrFizzbin 07-27-2007 10:09 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
Did you see the heads-up match between her and Chad Brown on the NBC HU Championship? I don't know much about her play, even after seeing that, but she looked really bad in that match. You can tell from her reactions that she is unaware of a couple of seemingly obvious things. She didn't see that Chad had the best hand on the 66669 board when she had 99 and Chad had an Ace...and it had to be specifically pointed out to her. Then later, when Chad says HE made a big mistake in that hand by not moving in on the river with the nuts...he again has to spell it out for her.

But she has good results. Maybe the HU thing was just nervousness of being at the featured table on national TV.

[/ QUOTE ]

No actually it had to do with partying too hard the night before, I believe she mentioned this in a pokerwire interview that she did shortly after her Heads Up Appearance . She's a had a solid year this year, went deep in the aussie Millions, and several others she's entered. Her game is solid not just a flash in the pan or eye candy, (Evelyn Ng, Brandi etc..)she has a personality that isn't like fingernails on chalk board (Vanessa R.).

olivert 07-27-2007 10:21 AM

I can't imagine a scenario in which either Mimi Tran or Kristy Gazes would NOT be invited to WPT Ladies Night V.

Both have plenty of cashes during WPT Season V and have sponsor backing/lobbying behind them (Kristy with FullTiltPoker.net, Mimi likely with PokerStars.net with the assistance of Barry Greenstein.)

Jbrochu 07-27-2007 10:55 AM

I would like to back your choice of Brandi for WPT Ladies Night V.

Bonified 07-27-2007 01:31 PM

I don't understand this. You were saying that Victoria Coren's association with Pokerstars was a reason why the WPT wouldn't invite her onto the show, but now in the case of Mimi Tran you seem to be saying that "having sponsor backing/lobbying behind them" (from Pokerstars in Mimi's case) is a plus point ?

ambler 07-27-2007 02:24 PM

[ QUOTE ]
An English-language newspaper article from The Taipei Times in August 2001, which I dug up with the assistance of San Francisco-based reporter Helen Yan of Ming Pao, was the final straw which got me fired:

[/ QUOTE ]

Do I have this straight? You represented JJ, yet assisted a reporter in digging out her "controversial" past? You thought this would be good for your client?

Then you were fired, and revealed in this forum that you did this? And followed up by airing in public various other dirty laundry of the client?

Yikes.

olivert 07-27-2007 03:25 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Do I have this straight? You represented JJ, yet assisted a reporter in digging out her "controversial" past? You thought this would be good for your client?

Then you were fired, and revealed in this forum that you did this? And followed up by airing in public various other dirty laundry of the client?

Yikes.

[/ QUOTE ]

No.

The reporter told me how she dug up Ms. Liu's past by doing a Google search in Chinese.

The reporter assisted me in finding the controversial articles, not the other way around.

olivert 07-27-2007 03:27 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I don't understand this. You were saying that Victoria Coren's association with Pokerstars was a reason why the WPT wouldn't invite her onto the show, but now in the case of Mimi Tran you seem to be saying that "having sponsor backing/lobbying behind them" (from Pokerstars in Mimi's case) is a plus point ?

[/ QUOTE ]

PokerStars.net only need to have one sponsored player at WPT Ladies Night V.

I expect Mimi Tran to be that player.

Besides, Victoria Coren, if she were sponsored by PokerStars.net in 2007-2008, would be required to play the EPT event in Barcelona, which conflicts with WPT Ladies Night V.

Ditto Katja Thater, who is under contract with PokerStars.net and is required to play the EPT event in Barcelona.

Dima2000123 07-27-2007 03:29 PM

Still, why are you smearing JJ on this forum? Do you feel a sense of duty to inform the public? It seems like a poker player is safer getting Brandi as a girlfriend than getting you as an agent.

olivert 07-27-2007 03:30 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I would like to back your choice of Brandi for WPT Ladies Night V.

[/ QUOTE ]

What has Brandi H. done to earn a shot at WPT Ladies Night V?

One cash for $15K is not going to cut it.

In my opinion, the three women who did enough during WPT Season 5 (by cashing in multiple events) to EARN at-large invitations to WPT Ladies Night V are Mimi Tran, Kristy Gazes, and Melissa Hayden, who just happen to be 3 of the top 11 in all-time career tournament poker earnings among females:

http://pokerdb.thehendonmob.com/ranking/137

(Mimi is #5, Melissa is #10, and Kristy is #11)

I don't think I can find anyone who will disagree with that assessment.

olivert 07-27-2007 03:37 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Still, why are you smearing JJ on this forum? Do you feel a sense of duty to inform the public? It seems like a poker player is safer getting Brandi as a girlfriend than getting you as an agent.

[/ QUOTE ]

I am not the one with the alleged criminal activities on his/her record.

I am not the one with Chinese "cold war" political baggage.

--

My business plan, from the day I started my agency, is to represent the "ambassadors" of poker who can perform marketing campaigns effectively around the world, in languages other than English, in order to grow poker.

I have ZERO tolerance for acts of moral turpitude from the players I work with.

Why not?

I won't be able to get explicit licenses to do business in places such as China, Hong Kong, Singapore, or Taiwan if I were to represent players who allegedly committed criminal acts and fled to a country with no diplomatic relations for the purpose of avoiding prosecution.

Dima2000123 07-27-2007 03:52 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I am not the one with "cold war" political baggage.

I represent "ambassadors" of poker.

Why not?

I won't be able to get licenses to do business in places such as China, Hong Kong, Singapore, or Taiwan if I were to represent players who allegedly committed criminal acts and fled to a country with no diplomatic relations for the purpose of avoiding prosecution.

[/ QUOTE ]
All those are good reason to not work as JJ's agent. None explain why you keep going after her now that you're completely unrelated to her professionally.

olivert 07-27-2007 03:53 PM

[ QUOTE ]
All those are good reason to not work as JJ's agent. None explain why you keep going after her now that you're completely unrelated to her professionally.

[/ QUOTE ]

There is still an existing contractual link betwen Ms. Liu and my agency which runs through December.

I cannot comment on the details in this forum.

ambler 07-27-2007 04:02 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

--

My business plan, from the day I started my agency, is to represent the "ambassadors" of poker who can perform marketing campaigns effectively around the world, in languages other than English, in order to grow poker.

Why not?

I won't be able to get explicit licenses to do business in places such as China, Hong Kong, Singapore, or Taiwan if I were to represent players who allegedly committed criminal acts and fled to a country with no diplomatic relations for the purpose of avoiding prosecution.

[/ QUOTE ]

IMHO, it seems to me like an agent who makes a habit of digging up the dirt on his clients to assure that they meet his moral standards, and then publicly outs those who don't, is going to find himself with very few clients. These matters seem best handled behind the scenes. In this case, I am guessing you want to be seen publicly venting your outrage as a demonstration to Taiwanese/mainland Chinese authorities -- but it's putting your own interests above your client's. Apologies for the continuing hijack. This'll be my last comment in this thread.

olivert 07-27-2007 04:11 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

--

Why not?

[/ QUOTE ]

IMHO, it seems to me like an agent who makes a habit of digging up the dirt on his clients to assure that they meet his moral standards, and then publicly outs those who don't, is going to find himself with very few clients. These matters seem best handled behind the scenes. In this case, I am guessing you want to be seen publicly venting your outrage as a demonstration to Taiwanese/mainland Chinese authorities -- but it's putting your own interests above your client's. Apologies for the continuing hijack. This'll be my last comment in this thread.

[/ QUOTE ]

Again, I did NOT dig up the dirt on Ms. Liu.

Ming Pao reporter Helen Yan, who was assigned by her editor to write the feature story on Ms. Liu after WPT Bay 101, did the digging, as any good reporter would do.

I simply asked Ms. Yan, two days AFTER the article was published, how she dug up the dirt on Ms. Liu.

Ms. Yan replied "Google" (in Chinese).

I simply followed Ms. Yan's procedure to duplicate what she did.

And yes, I try to do as much due diligence on prospective clients as I can. My reputation, and my ability to obtain licenses in Asia (particularly the Chinese-speaking world), requires that I perform due diligence on prospective clients so that I won't wind up working with another "bad apple".

MrFizzbin 07-27-2007 05:30 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Sounds like Sour Grapes after the Bay101 stuff went down...

Also sounds like a cautionary tale for those looking for an agent and why they should chose carefully.

Jbrochu 07-27-2007 05:39 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

lol - you must not have read the Brandi drama bomb thread.

Huggles,
- j

olivert 07-27-2007 05:56 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

lol - you must not have read the Brandi drama bomb thread.

Huggles,
- j

[/ QUOTE ]

I am willing to bet that over 90% of the 500,000 viewers expected to watch WPT Ladies Night V on GSN in the U.S. or Canada (during the first broadcast) do NOT read 2+2.

2+2 represents a very tiny (statistically insignificant) fraction of the TV poker-viewing public in the U.S. and Canada.

Gydyon 07-27-2007 06:06 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

There is still an existing contractual link betwen Ms. Liu and my agency which runs through December.

I cannot comment on the details in this forum.

[/ QUOTE ]

Wait, that makes it worse -- you have no problem in putting out damaging information about soemone with which you have an existing client relationship?

Somehow you think that's acceptable?