Two Plus Two Newer Archives

Two Plus Two Newer Archives (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/index.php)
-   High Stakes (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/forumdisplay.php?f=21)
-   -   50k HU Tourney (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/showthread.php?t=447029)

TheWorstPlayer 07-09-2007 07:12 PM

50k HU Tourney

Since they are getting into specifics on the 5K tourney in the other thread, I figured it would just be easier to start a separate thread for the 50K tourney now. It looks like it will happen for sure, it's just a question of working out the details. The main sticking point is getting Stars to help us set it up. They told me to let them know when I had 8 players confirmed and they would let me know what they could do for us.

Today, I sent them this

[ QUOTE ]
We have 6 solidly committed players and another 6-8 possibles which will almost certainly yield at least 2 players. But many of the possibles want reassurance that a reliable site will be handling the money and they want to know the amount of juice the site will be charging. If you could provide those pieces of information, I could get the final two confirmed players very quickly. Thank you for your help.

[/ QUOTE ]

and got back this

[ QUOTE ]
Thank you for contacting us.

Please contact us as soon as you have 8 solidly commited players, and we
will submit your request for consideration.

Please do not hesitate to contact us in case you need further assistance.

[/ QUOTE ]

So if people want this to go down, please let me know if you can commit to playing. Currently I have gotten commitments from:
Gift of Gab
durrrr
Alaei
TheMightyZep
evanski
Stinger

Also, feel free to suggest formats, but I think in order to make it as much skill and as little luck as possible it should probably be something like best of 3 200bb or 300bb matches. Maybe finals best of 5? Anyways, let me know if you can play so I can get Stars to work on setting it up, please, if you're interested.

- TWP

evanski 07-09-2007 07:45 PM

Re: 50k HU Tourney

I am strongly for best of 3 200bb rather than 300bbs.

Methodz 07-09-2007 07:50 PM

If you need players, I'd try contacting aba or having stinger talk to him, he'd probably play....

I'd really really like to see this go down [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

TheWorstPlayer 07-09-2007 07:51 PM

I PMed aba and got no response. Anyone who knows how to contact him other than PM would be great.

Jackal69 07-09-2007 07:52 PM

surely stevesbets will play...? If so the other 7 players should be made to agree to a suicide pact if he wins.

cts 07-09-2007 10:54 PM

fine, I will play

TheWorstPlayer 07-09-2007 11:15 PM

[ QUOTE ]
fine, I will play

[/ QUOTE ]
Sweet. Now if Barry Greenstein (don't know if he reads this forum - maybe captainwacky can ask him if he wants to play), Samoleus, Brandon Adams, or one of the other 'maybes' can confirm that they will play, we will have a tournament.

TNUC 07-09-2007 11:22 PM

think u shud just get barry g to escrow

Ansky 07-09-2007 11:30 PM

If you are doing a 50k tournament, stars might be willing to set up privately (so escrow wouldn't be needed).

TheWorstPlayer 07-09-2007 11:31 PM

[ QUOTE ]
think u shud just get barry g to escrow

[/ QUOTE ]
may have to do something like that as a last resort, but i'm still hoping stars or FTP will come through to handle the money. and, as was said before, clearly no one is getting 400k+ to escrow, so we'd need at least a few people that EVERYONE trusts with 100K+. so I def think that should be a last resort.

fees 07-09-2007 11:36 PM

didnt krantz say he wanted to do 50

TheWorstPlayer 07-09-2007 11:39 PM

[ QUOTE ]
If you are doing a 50k tournament, stars might be willing to set up privately (so escrow wouldn't be needed).

[/ QUOTE ]
did you read the OP? I'm trying, man, but they are being a pain in the ass...

Stinger88 07-09-2007 11:55 PM

I'll ask aba I'd expect he'd be in

Ansky 07-10-2007 12:15 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
did you read the OP? I'm trying, man, but they are being a pain in the ass...

[/ QUOTE ]

oh.

no, i did not read the op.

I just assumed it was about... a 50k hu tournament?

Admo 07-10-2007 12:56 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I'm trying, man, but they are being a pain in the ass...

[/ QUOTE ]

In if you need to fill more spots, contingent on vig and structure.

EmpireMaker2 07-10-2007 02:59 AM

iM IN

fsuplayer 07-10-2007 10:23 AM

whats the line for EM2 actually playing this thing? 8:1? worse?

fsuplayer 07-10-2007 10:24 AM

if magicninja doesnt play in this i will be very disappointed. [img]/images/graemlins/frown.gif[/img]

07-10-2007 10:32 AM

stake me

TheWorstPlayer 07-10-2007 11:04 AM

[ QUOTE ]
stake me

[/ QUOTE ]
I heard you have actually staked durrrr for this event. 100% no benefit to you.

TheWorstPlayer 07-10-2007 11:07 AM

OK, so looks like we definitely have at least 8 people. This raises the question of getting 8-16 people, which it looks like may happen. We could either give byes (randomly or by first-come basis or by some other method) or we could just have it capped at 8 people and the rest are alternates (again either randomly or by first-come basis) or we could do something else.

Unless anyone disagrees, I think 3x200bb matches sounds pretty reasonable. Do people want 5x200bb for the final match?

I also suggest random seeding single elimination tournament for timeliness and simplicity, but am of course open to whatever people want. Also, some people have issues with timing, so I suggest the event starts the first or second week of August to give us time to handle all details (might need to xfer money around or whatever).

SlowHabit 07-10-2007 11:25 AM

Where's Building Sweaters [img]/images/graemlins/frown.gif[/img]

fsuplayer 07-10-2007 11:48 AM

this will be awesome. thx for taking the time to set this up TWP.

fsuplayer 07-10-2007 11:49 AM

and just think how happy it will make luckyjimm, his head will explode.

king_of_drafts 07-10-2007 11:53 AM

[ QUOTE ]
and just think how happy it will make luckyjimm, his head will explode.

[/ QUOTE ]

lol

TheWorstPlayer 07-10-2007 11:57 AM

[ QUOTE ]
this will be awesome. thx for taking the time to set this up TWP.

[/ QUOTE ]
no problem. i'm only doing it bec i think it will be really cool, too. and LJ won't care, actually, bec I'm pretty sure he likes seeing the big numbers flit across the screen. this will be like play money matches, so it wont be fun to watch even though eventually, like $250K will swing on one hand...

cts 07-10-2007 12:07 PM

also if we could have this on ftp instead of stars due to riggedness obv

if it's on stars im gonna need some help getting $ there

evanski 07-10-2007 02:55 PM

[ QUOTE ]
OK, so looks like we definitely have at least 8 people. This raises the question of getting 8-16 people, which it looks like may happen. We could either give byes (randomly or by first-come basis or by some other method) or we could just have it capped at 8 people and the rest are alternates (again either randomly or by first-come basis) or we could do something else.

Unless anyone disagrees, I think 3x200bb matches sounds pretty reasonable. Do people want 5x200bb for the final match?

I also suggest random seeding single elimination tournament for timeliness and simplicity, but am of course open to whatever people want. Also, some people have issues with timing, so I suggest the event starts the first or second week of August to give us time to handle all details (might need to xfer money around or whatever).

[/ QUOTE ]

I say cap it at 8 until we get 16. I dont think its fair to give byes to anyone, random or not. Single elimination random seating is good, as is 3 x 200 bbs for prelims and 5 x 200 bbs for the final. Just my thoughts.

-evan

cts 07-10-2007 03:28 PM

sorry if it should be obvious but you don't have many posts and your name doesn't ring a bell , who are you again evanski?

evanski 07-10-2007 03:38 PM

No one really, just an unknown high stakes player. I dont play tilt or stars so a lot of you probably havent played with me.

schwza 07-10-2007 03:50 PM

you guys could have an auction for the byes. doubt people would actually want that but it'd be interesting for the rest of us.

TheWorstPlayer 07-10-2007 05:03 PM

[ QUOTE ]
sorry if it should be obvious but you don't have many posts and your name doesn't ring a bell , who are you again evanski?

[/ QUOTE ]
evanski is old school and definitely quality. played/plays high stakes on UB, I believe.

edit: also, do you guys have views on which 8 people get to play? assuming we get more than 8 people interested? that may not happen, but if it does, i actually think a random choice would be more fair than a first come first served selection because people might have been notified at different times, playing the WSOP, etc.

HockeyChecker 07-10-2007 05:28 PM

Evanski is one of the greatest hu players never talked about. Maybe because he decides to join random skins and play insane weak 25-50 games there, a la tmhpoker or the tain network. He's also a genius.

Jman28 07-10-2007 06:09 PM

I'd like to play.

Structures sound good.

I think there's gotta be some way to play it with between 8 and 16.

What about for those who get 1st round byes, their 2nd (1st) round matches start with 150bbs vs 300 for those who already won a match.

It's not ideal, but I think it makes it much much closer in fairness than straight up byes.

raptor517 07-10-2007 06:28 PM

not to get too crazy out of line here.. but why couldnt some sort of round robin type thing be setup if theres some number between 8 and 16? i mean, it is a 50k tourney, and everyone thats playing it it can multitable, so why cant everyone just play the other once on 3-4 tables or whatever, then figure out ratings, and set up some final matches? sound like too much?

Ship Ship McGipp 07-10-2007 06:32 PM

[ QUOTE ]
not to get too crazy out of line here.. but why couldnt some sort of round robin type thing be setup if theres some number between 8 and 16? i mean, it is a 50k tourney, and everyone thats playing it it can multitable, so why cant everyone just play the other once on 3-4 tables or whatever, then figure out ratings, and set up some final matches? sound like too much?

[/ QUOTE ]

that would be sick, and twp is a fairly smart guy, i'm sure plenty of people have experience with tournaments like this. seems like if we had like 12 or something you could do two heats of 6, have everyone play each other (multiple at a time too like you said) and just take the top two records from each division, ties broken by winner against each other, etc.

shouldn't be too hard to figure out if someone thinks about it

TheWorstPlayer 07-10-2007 06:37 PM

there are a million options. if you get 12 you could do 4 groups of 3, round robin, first round. then winners of each group advance to semi-finals. or whatever. I guess we can address that issue when we have a final count on who wants to play.

At least let's see if anyone has any objections to 3x200bb until finals and then 5x200bb final. And random seeding/matching for whichever format we end up using.

And current list of players is:
Gift of Gab
durrrr
Alaei
TheMightyZep
evanski
Stinger
cts
admo
jman

And I have emails into both FTP and Stars asking to even just have an admin except 50K+juice transfers and then handle payouts at the end, as a bare minimum, but have not gotten any positive feedback yet. So if anyone has pull anywhere, please let me know.

FortunaMaximus 07-10-2007 06:40 PM

Yeah, thought something similar. Don't intend to play, yet.

3-table first round matches, 8 players, divisions of 4.

Count by table wins.

Winners of division to final.

So you could have 8, 10, 12, room for expansion if this isn't an one-off.

raptor517 07-10-2007 06:59 PM

twp, im in if its not some silly structure. i want to actually get some play out of this and get to play more than just 1 person. id like to wait until a structure is set up to decide if im in or not, but if its setup like some kinda round robin with top level advancing or whatever, where you get a lot of play out of this, im in.

king_of_drafts 07-10-2007 07:16 PM

Pretty sure I'll be rooting for Admo regardless of who else plays