Two Plus Two Newer Archives

Two Plus Two Newer Archives (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/index.php)
-   Other Other Topics (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/forumdisplay.php?f=36)
-   -   No *OFFICIAL* Live Earth Thread?? (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/showthread.php?t=445552)

AJay2000 07-07-2007 09:41 PM

No *OFFICIAL* Live Earth Thread??

I thought you monkeys would be all over it.

A good mix of performances so far - although the lineups at each venue has been less than inspiring. There is no way to compare it to Live-Aid, but it seems like a lot of big guns are missing.

I'm getting plenty of guilty pleasure loving out of it though, watching Alicia Keys, Madonna, and Kelly Clarkson. Great performances by Foo Fighters and (gulp, never thought I'd say it) Bon Jovi.

Anyone watching? What do you think?

- Jay

AJay2000 07-07-2007 09:43 PM

Re: No *OFFICIAL* Live Earth Thread??

Forgot about the Chili Peppers performances - solid.

Can I tell you how much it hurts to watch the Pumpkins now? Oh, how far they've fallen.

DrunkIrish05 07-07-2007 09:55 PM

i think if they just played nothing post MatIS that they would still rock pretty hard

AJay2000 07-07-2007 09:59 PM

I'm surprised I'm saying this, but 'bullet with butterfly wings' and this new song actually sound really good.

I just can't condone a Pumpkins reunion without James Iha. Even if Billy Corgan is the brains behind it all.

I guess I'm old school, but where are U2 and R.E.M.? Pearl Jam has a had a good run the last year and a half, where are they? Would it hurt No Doubt to get together so we can watch Gwen Stefani rock all over the stage?

DrunkIrish05 07-07-2007 10:01 PM

yeah, i was also surprised to see no U2, isn't this the type of thing that Bono lives for?

sdunsmb 07-07-2007 10:01 PM

Foo Fighters were amazing - best by far IMO.

MicroBob 07-07-2007 10:06 PM

Not a lot of chatter about this.
Is that because many of you care about this about as little as I do?

Evan 07-07-2007 10:07 PM

http://lefsetz.com/wordpress/index.p...ut-live-earth/

CharlieDontSurf 07-07-2007 10:08 PM

global warming is a myth

AJay2000 07-07-2007 10:10 PM

yeah, but Joss Stone was just on, and she is severely hot.

is this what those of you opposed to environmental issues really want to be missing? I mean, she's barefoot and rocking!

btmagnetw 07-07-2007 10:11 PM

i turned it on and it went pussy cat dolls -> fall out boy so i turned it off immediately after i finished vomiting.

AJay2000 07-07-2007 10:12 PM

[img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]

MicroBob 07-07-2007 10:12 PM

That guy's blog post is a bit over-the-top.
I'm not as angry about it as him. But I think I mostly agree.

Thanks for linking. I hadn't looked into it or anything because I really didn't care thus was unaware that others are evidently as unimpressed with this 'event' as I am.

Pudge714 07-07-2007 10:17 PM

I think it's retarded that they don't try to raise money or anything. First off for both Live 8 and Live Earth anyone who is somewhat aware of anything going on is aware of these issues. Secondly if they got everyone to bring a can of food or something it could do a lot of good.

MicroBob 07-07-2007 10:19 PM

[ QUOTE ]
yeah, but Joss Stone was just on, and she is severely hot.

is this what those of you opposed to environmental issues really want to be missing? I mean, she's barefoot and rocking!

[/ QUOTE ]

Actually, I'm in agreement about the various environmental issues for the most part.
I'm just completely uninspired by this event.

I just now learned that they are simulcasting the thing on different channels.

Just went from Dave Matthews Band to Bon Jovi on different channels.
That's enough for me. This is pretty boring.

Only band I would really care about is the Police I think (although I haven't looked at the whole line-up) and I just saw them live at New Orleans Arena last week and also saw them perform on TV on the Grammy's so I don't really care about seeing them again.

If it ends up being ridiculously amazing or a must-see or something then I assume I can simply find it on YouTube if necessary. But I really doubt I would be so motivated to do that.

AJay2000 07-07-2007 10:20 PM

I guess I should have stated in the OP that EXCLUDING any political or world views or importance, I was curious why no one was watching for the sheer entertainment or musical investment qualities.

Granted, Live 8 and Live Aid were incredibly important minus the music, but the music was still interesting and important. I was just wondering about people watching the concert for watching the music, and I think the lack of a solid lineup is a big reason why people aren't that into it.

hanimal 07-07-2007 10:31 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I'm surprised I'm saying this, but 'bullet with butterfly wings' and this new song actually sound really good.

I just can't condone a Pumpkins reunion without James Iha. Even if Billy Corgan is the brains behind it all.

I guess I'm old school, but where are U2 and R.E.M.? Pearl Jam has a had a good run the last year and a half, where are they? Would it hurt No Doubt to get together so we can watch Gwen Stefani rock all over the stage?

[/ QUOTE ]

Been watching on and off all day.
Seems pretty lackluster to me. I watched Luda, actually pretty entertaining.
Fall Out Boy = puke.
Kanye not bad.
Chili Peppers were solid.
Pumpkins!
and yeah, No Doubt would kick ass, Tragic Kingdom was such a great great album.

Homer 07-07-2007 10:47 PM

waters, foo fighters = good

chili willie = okay

rest = meh

AJay2000 07-07-2007 10:47 PM

Lenny Kravitz in Rio - Are you gonna go my way?

Damn, those Brazilians know how to party.

I need to get down there. SOON!

AJay2000 07-07-2007 10:50 PM

John Mayer playing guitar with The Police. Very nice.

Homer 07-07-2007 10:52 PM

yea yea yea message in a bottle

way to ruin the song dude

yea uh yeah uh yea uh

DrunkIrish05 07-07-2007 10:52 PM

[ QUOTE ]
John Mayer playing guitar with The Police. Very nice.

[/ QUOTE ]

and now kanye...

AJay2000 07-07-2007 10:53 PM

LOL.

No doubt.

Thank you, Kanye. Thank you.

AJay2000 07-07-2007 10:57 PM

BONUS COVERAGE!

While NBC is televising the Kanye butchering of Message in a Bottle with John Mayer in the corner being underutilised, Bravo is replaying HOT UB40 highlights from earlier.

OH! As I'm typing though! They've switched to Duran Duran highlights.

VERY nice.

Girls on Film to start.

AJay2000 07-07-2007 11:20 PM

I was a 'fan' of the Police when I was younger, nothing crazy.

But man, they sound amazing. Unbelieveable, even.

Yeti 07-07-2007 11:29 PM

metallica were really good.

Thanir 07-08-2007 12:38 AM

I was really happy to get to see Genesis reunited, even though they only showed one song on NBC. I'm watching Roger Waters right now...wish David Gilmore would've joined him like in the Live 8 concert in 05. Looking forward to seeing the Police [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

pa3lsvt 07-08-2007 12:59 AM

No OOT love for the "Big Bottoms" jam session with Spinal Tap? Tsk, tsk.

React1oN 07-08-2007 02:32 AM

Police with John Mayer was great, but, seriously, come on Kanye.

evil twin 07-08-2007 02:38 AM

Ricky Gervais saying [censored] live on air to a Saturday afternoon crowd was good. He introduced Spinal Tap who obviously were awesome.

Madonna was really good. She was the final act at the UK event.

mephisto 07-08-2007 04:25 AM

Man, no mention at how hot that pussycat dolls performance was? I thought Nicole looked especially amazing that whole set and the whole vibe from the pcd girls was nice minus that poor girl trying to compare vocals to nicole.

Alicia Keys was ridic hot as well.

Didn't see the Kanye West set but it's good to know he was solid as I'm going to watch him live next week.

Oh and global warming is a total hoax. I believing in reducing pollution levels (clearing up smog, water), NOT CO2. CO2 = goot for plants and the ability to feed the world.

pshabi 07-08-2007 04:35 AM

BEASTIE BOYS

Falc 07-08-2007 06:22 AM

[ QUOTE ]
No OOT love for the "Big Bottoms" jam session with Spinal Tap? Tsk, tsk.

[/ QUOTE ]

Spinal Tap was awesome [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img] Too bad the majority of the crowd was like "wtf?" because they didn't know them.

gisb0rne 07-08-2007 07:57 AM

I watched this off and on during the day. I wish I had caught Spinal Tap.

I thought this whole thing was pretty damn awesome. Tons of bands we all know, live, on multiple channels (and HD!). I think people complaining about the lack of certain acts are just nitpicking.

Losing all 07-08-2007 10:47 AM

John Denver singing "plant a tree" had more impact.

djoyce003 07-08-2007 04:24 PM

I will say that like most things that involve Al Gore, you are left wondering WTF. I mean it was not all that well publicized and you were left almost wondering, exactly what is going on here other than a lot of good bands are playing.

It seemed kind of like a nebulous "what are we doing to the earth" thought, but you were never really sure how you could help, etc. This was actually probably a bitch to organize and I get that...but the message was totally lost.