Two Plus Two Newer Archives

Two Plus Two Newer Archives (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/index.php)
-   Sporting Events (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/forumdisplay.php?f=48)
-   -   Bonds is a selfish prick, Exhibit ZZZQ (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/showthread.php?t=444612)

DrewDevil 07-06-2007 04:01 PM

Bonds is a selfish prick, Exhibit ZZZQ

Bonds to sit out Home Run Derby

He wants to "rest his tired body" instead of participating in the Home Run Derby.

The #2 home run hitter of all time.

In a home run hitting contest.

In his home stadium.

When he's on the brink of becoming #1.

Nope, it's too tiring.

What a prick.

Karak567 07-06-2007 04:02 PM

Re: Bonds is a selfish prick, Exhibit ZZZQ

a) there's already a thread on this
b) like i said in that thread: the HR derby sucks anyways

sightless 07-06-2007 04:04 PM

holy crap
why is this a big deal?

mo42nyy 07-06-2007 04:04 PM

so hes selfish for wanted to be well rested which will help his team?
interesting

Your Mom 07-06-2007 04:36 PM

The guy was obv. hurt last night. Plus he is old, plus he doesn't even play every day as it is when he is totally (by his standards) healthy. I think he is 100% correct in not participating. Home run derby can ruin your swing and tire you out. The 1st point applies to younger guys and the 2nd point applies to the older guys like Bonds.

PITTM 07-06-2007 06:43 PM

more accurate thread title:

Extreme nit from someone who has a massive anti barry bonds bias to the point where they abandon logical thinking, exhibit ZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZY

PITTM 07-06-2007 06:43 PM

also, isnt this like the definition of not selfish? he wants to be well rested for his TEAM.

Case Closed 07-06-2007 06:52 PM

[ QUOTE ]
also, isnt this like the definition of not selfish? he wants to be well rested for his TEAM.

[/ QUOTE ]

Infinite double standard here. He shows up...he is making a mockery because he's roided up [censored] blah blah blah he does not go he hates the fans.

andyfox 07-06-2007 07:24 PM

Really? He's not resting at all. He's giving a party that night.

XXXNoahXXX 07-06-2007 07:53 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

lol if you believe that.

DesertCat 07-06-2007 08:17 PM

[ QUOTE ]
also, isnt this like the definition of not selfish? he wants to be well rested for his PARTY.

[/ QUOTE ]

Anyone want to take a bets on whether Barry knows any of his team-mates?

PITTM 07-06-2007 08:32 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Really? He's not resting at all. He's giving a party that night.

[/ QUOTE ]

in terms of physical exertion, i would say that participating in a home run derby>>>>>>>>>>>h aving a party at his house.

kidcolin 07-06-2007 08:35 PM

[ QUOTE ]
more accurate thread title:

Extreme nit from someone who has a massive anti barry bonds bias to the point where they abandon logical thinking, exhibit ZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZY

[/ QUOTE ]

I love that PITTM's always the one to attack someone else's logic, even in stupid Sporting Events threads, when he himself is the poster boy for overly emotional spaz posting.

mmbt0ne 07-06-2007 08:47 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

LOL. Like it matters.

WEST
San Diego 48 36 .571 -
LA Dodgers 48 38 .558 1
Arizona 47 40 .540 2.5
Colorado 42 43 .494 6.5
San Francisco 36 47 .434 11.5

FlyWf 07-06-2007 09:52 PM

You are using a definition of selfish I'm entirely unfamiliar with.

kyro 07-06-2007 10:21 PM

I'm not going really judge him whether or not he plays in the HRDerby, but I can't imagine it would tire him out THAT much to the point where it hurts his team.

andyfox 07-06-2007 11:54 PM

Maybe, but I haven't seen Bonds party. I'm sure, though, he'll get plenty of rest that night, the party will probably break up by 9, 9:30 latest.

The guy's a great, great player, one of the greatest, and he was so before he 'roided up. But he's also extremely dislikable.

jah7_fsu1 07-07-2007 12:26 AM

Bonds could cure cancer and people would still hate him. I'm sick as hell of discussing and hearing about every time this guy farts.

72off 07-07-2007 12:50 AM

I know a lot of guys skip this thing for various reasons (rest, screws up their swing, etc), and I never care, but can anyone recall another guy pulling out for little reason like this when the game is in his park? I don't know one way or the other, just curious.

andyfox 07-07-2007 01:52 AM

Exactly. Because he's done so many things that are hateable. And you're going to hear about him because he's about to have 756 home runs.

Thremp 07-07-2007 02:05 AM

Bonds>>>>Ruth

kyleb 07-07-2007 02:07 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Bonds>>>>Ruth

[/ QUOTE ]

obv

Edge34 07-07-2007 02:07 AM

I wonder if he just doesn't want to go through the personal embarassment (real or just self-imposed) that he thinks he'd go through if he doesn't win this thing. If it takes one bit of attention off the record (the ONLY reason he's playing this year), then he doesn't wanna screw it up.

Out there? Sure. Out of the realm of possibility for a guy with an ego the size of...well, his own massive noggin? I don't think so. But hey, I'm just throwing s*** against the wall and seeing what sticks, because as much as I dislike Bonds, I would've loved to see him step up in his own stadium.

4thstreetpete 07-07-2007 07:47 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Bonds on juice >>>>Ruth

[/ QUOTE ]

DesertCat 07-07-2007 10:06 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Bonds>>>>Ruth

[/ QUOTE ]

obv ????

[/ QUOTE ]

Babe Ruth's career record was 94-46 with a 2.28 ERA (ERA+ of 122).
Barry Bond's has a wimpy arm, zero wins, zero strikeouts, and no ERA.

Career Batting lines
Bonds.299/.445/.608
Ruth .342/.474/.690

Barry Bond's career OPS+ is 183.
Babe Ruth's career OPS+ is 207.

The Babe benefited from not playing against black guys, but so has Barry. Besides African Americans, baseball has lost a lot of talent of all colors to other sports. Bonds benefited from the latest in PEDs. The Babe had to suffer from antiquated training methods and a severe alcohol problem.

And there is no way Barry could hold Ruth's jock in a hot dog eating contest.

FlyWf 07-07-2007 10:13 AM

"The Babe benefited from not playing against black guys, but so has Barry"

Jesus Christ. Think before type.

DesertCat 07-07-2007 11:32 AM

[ QUOTE ]

"The Babe benefited from not playing against black guys, but so has Barry"

Jesus Christ. Think before type.

[/ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]

African Americans account for only 8.5 percent of the players on Major League Baseball rosters. Thirty years ago, that figure stood at 27 percent.

[/ QUOTE ]

Jesus Christ. Google before type.

Jack of Arcades 07-07-2007 12:31 PM

Two problems:

1. Ruth didn't just benefit by not playing blacks, he didn't have to play Asians or Latinos, either. How much of the baseball population is white now? According to your link, 29 percent are South American + Caribbean. 8.5 Percent are black. So 60%. How does that compare to Ruth's time?

2. Black != African American, unless you would try to tell me that guys like Pedro Martinez, Sammy Sosa, David Ortiz, and Miguel Tejada aren't black.

Imagine a scenario where every non-white player except Bonds is kicked out of the league and replaced with a white player.

Bonds is #1 in OPS. Of the next 39, only 14 are white.

Chipper Jones
Matt Holliday
Chase Utley
Hunter Pence
Justin Morneau
Brad Hawpe
Kevin Youkilis
Chris Duncan
Adam Dunn
Corey Hart
Todd Helton
Aaron Rowand
Casey Kotchman
David Wright

Imagine how eye-popping his numbers would be if this was his only competition.

By-Tor 07-07-2007 12:47 PM

didn't take long for this thread to turn into more stat-tarding

lot's of people skip the hr derby, big [censored] deal.

DesertCat 07-07-2007 12:51 PM

Imagine how much poorer Bond's numbers would be if he had to hit against Peyton Manning and Dan Marino, and he was competing with Michael Vick and Reggie Bush for an outfield spot? In the 20s Baseball was dominant and had little competition for talent from other sports.

Imagine how eye popping Ruth's numbers would have been if he trained at BALCO and had gone through rehab?

DesertCat 07-07-2007 12:53 PM

And for those who still don't get it, yes I'm jokeing (trolling is such a nasty word). Both Ruth and Bonds are amazing players who dominated their eras and I don't believe you can say one is better than the other, it's just an unanswerable question.

And I don't care if Bonds used PEDs, or think that if he did it really enhanced his performance that much. I care only that he's a jerk.

Thremp 07-07-2007 01:22 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Imagine how much poorer Bond's numbers would be if he had to hit against Peyton Manning and Dan Marino, and he was competing with Michael Vick and Reggie Bush for an outfield spot? In the 20s Baseball was dominant and had little competition for talent from other sports.

[/ QUOTE ]

The comments above so you grasp little understanding of sports and athletics. Please don't hurt yourself.
Do you seriously think Reggie Bush could play MLB? Michael Jordan couldn't play Single A as the greatest basketball player to ever play.

Imagine if Babe Ruth has played tennis, we'd be saying Rod who.

DesertCat 07-07-2007 02:28 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

The comments above so you grasp little understanding of sports and athletics. Please don't hurt yourself.
Do you seriously think Reggie Bush could play MLB? Michael Jordan couldn't play Single A as the greatest basketball player to ever play.

Imagine if Babe Ruth has played tennis, we'd be saying Rod who.

[/ QUOTE ]

Clearly there are some players who would play in the MLB if the NBA, NFL, and possibly even NHL didn't exist as options. Maybe Reggie Bush and Michael Vick, maybe someone else that we don't know (Pacman Jones?). Deion Sanders and Bo Jackson are examples, in Jackson's case how many more games would he have played in baseball if he had quit football before his injury?

Remember that the talent pool in the MLB has become so depleted that the Giants used to have Willie Mays in CF, now they have Dave Roberts. And Juane Pierre is playing ... in the MLB ... as a starting centerfielder...

[ QUOTE ]
And for those who still don't get it, yes I'm jokeing

[/ QUOTE ]

THAY3R 07-07-2007 04:29 PM

You may be joking, but you definitely believe some of the things you are posting and that is sad.

zer0 07-07-2007 04:49 PM

babe ruth used doctored bats, who gives a [censored]

Pudge714 07-07-2007 08:08 PM

I really liked this
http://sayhey.wordpress.com/2007/07/...nds-of-course/

Thremp 07-07-2007 09:06 PM

DesertCat,

Juan Pierre is just as good as Deion. Their career EqA numbers are .258 to .259. If you look over Bo Jackson's stats, he would ride the bench for the Yankees. Bo gets more love than he deserves for a corner outfielder with a .281 career EqA.

You seriously believe that those two individuals would greatly improve the quality of the MLB if they were playing?

The best players (barring a few AAA guys who should be called up already, and a couple Japanese guys etc.) in the world at playing baseball are playing baseball.

DesertCat 07-07-2007 11:06 PM

[ QUOTE ]
DesertCat,

Juan Pierre is just as good as Deion. Their career EqA numbers are .258 to .259. If you look over Bo Jackson's stats, he would ride the bench for the Yankees. Bo gets more love than he deserves for a corner outfielder with a .281 career EqA.

You seriously believe that those two individuals would greatly improve the quality of the MLB if they were playing?

The best players (barring a few AAA guys who should be called up already, and a couple Japanese guys etc.) in the world at playing baseball are playing baseball.

[/ QUOTE ]

Are you arguing that if Juan Pierre retired today, he'd be replaced by an equally skilled player? And that Deon and Bo would have been replaced by equally skilled players? Of course not, by definition even for all their flaws they are/were playing because they are the best available talent, and if they left they would be replaced by slightly less skilled players.

There are a ton of great athletes playing in the NBA and NFL. Just because Jordan didn't make it, doesn't mean others couldn't. For example, Jordan's height was probably a disadvantage in hitting, esp. when he didn't have the strength to go with it. And we will never know whether he could have been a decent player, as he never had the years of experience to develop his baseball skills. It's like saying that any prospect that sucked for a year in the low minors can never make the majors.

To make the blanket statement that the best baseball players are playing baseball is clearly wrong. All it takes is a single NFL player making it in the majors to disprove it. Shut down the NFL and I'll bet at least one make MLB rosters.

To support this, I don't have a complete list but NFL players drafted by MLB teams include Archie Manning, Steve Bartkowski, Joe Theismann, Dan Marino, John Elway, Jack Thompson , Curt Warner, Kevin House, Jay Schroeder, Billy Cannon Jr. (first round pick slid to 3rd after declaring he wouldn't sign, drafted by the Cowboys). NBA players drafted by MLB teams include Danny Ainge.

But my real argument is that it's impossible to compare eras. It seems like Barry is a lock to be better because of his era, due such a high level of dominance during an era with intl., african american and hispanic players, etc. I was just throwing out some counter arguments of factors that were in Ruth's favor. I.e. he was a pitcherand a damned good one, his level of dominance over his era was higher that Bonds, and baseball was the premier sport of Ruth's time, not Bonds. Factors like nutrition and training should be ignored because you assume Ruth could have benefited from them. Favor Barry if you want, but I don't call it a slam dunk.

THAY3R 07-07-2007 11:43 PM

Baseball players make so much more $ than NFL players, and at far less risk to their health. Why aren't NFL players dominating MLB?

Thremp 07-07-2007 11:48 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Baseball players make so much more $ than NFL players, and at far less risk to their health. Why aren't NFL players dominating MLB?

[/ QUOTE ]

Cause the Cubs piss money away on WRs.

DC,

Its "Kurt" Warner. Do you watch/read/participate in sports or just argue random thoughts that enter your mind?