Two Plus Two Newer Archives

Two Plus Two Newer Archives (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/index.php)
-   Other Other Topics (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/forumdisplay.php?f=36)
-   -   People who buy bottled water are fish at life. (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/showthread.php?t=444530)

iron81 07-06-2007 01:59 PM

People who buy bottled water are fish at life.

This has been a pet peeve of mine for a while, but today I was reading this editorial and I was reminded at how utterly ridiculous it is to pay $1/bottle or whatever for bottled water. The reason why is because there is no legitimate difference between bottled water and tap water. All that advertising you have been fed about water that comes from natural springs or various treatment processes have zero effect on the health or in most cases the taste. Even in areas using groundwater that sometimes have a funny taste, I'd think you would get used to it.

You guys have no idea of the extreme quality control that goes into tap water. They have boil orders on the local news when there is even an outside chance of germs or contaminants in tap water. The bottled water companies agree and when they bother to get their own sources, they use the same processes. Sometimes they don't even bother and they put municipal tap water in a bottle and mark it up 1000%. Jesus people, stop wasting your money and find a drinking fountain.

John Stossel expose

XXXNoahXXX 07-06-2007 02:01 PM

Re: People who buy bottled water are fish at life.

You should be banned for citing to something by John Stossel.

edfurlong 07-06-2007 02:01 PM

But it comes with a bottle. A bottle I can put water in.

guids 07-06-2007 02:01 PM

Ya, I should start carrying a cup in my pocket at all times so I can just use the gas stations tap water.......

KneeCo 07-06-2007 02:02 PM

People who listen to John Stossel are actually the fish at life. Separate from this particular issue, the man is seriously just an egotistical, dumb-as-a-post nut.

NT! 07-06-2007 02:02 PM

i have a poland spring water cooler in my apartment because it's baller. hot and cold water in an instant, and i don't care what anybody says, that ish tastes way better than NYC tap water.

besides, if the turrrists decide to poison the water supply i'm in good shape.

the biggest problem i have with bottled water is how wasteful it is to use those plastic containers for it. but when you have a water cooler they get re-used by the company, so it's all good.

if anyone is wondering we get like 20 gallons / month plus the cooler for 30 bucks. i think it's an awesome deal because i don't have to brew tea or coffee anymore, either.

Klompy 07-06-2007 02:03 PM

This is a huge pet peeve of mine also. I know people that carry bottled water in their own fridge that they drink instead of tap water, WTF?

esad 07-06-2007 02:03 PM

1. The bottled water I buy comes in a bottle - Convenience

2. I pay $0.15 a bottle - Cost

3. People were smart enough to think of doing this and making money at it - Free Market FTW!

iron81 07-06-2007 02:03 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Ya, I should start carrying a cup in my pocket at all times so I can just use the gas stations tap water.......

[/ QUOTE ]
This is what water bottles are for. Some of the smarter yet more image conscious people I know pour tap water into an old evian bottle.

marchron 07-06-2007 02:03 PM

The best is when they pump their gas, go in the store and grab a bottle of Dasani or Aquafina, then bitch to the clerk about the price of gas. Hey, buddy, you just paid, what, maybe SEVEN DOLLARS PER GALLON for a bottle of water?

Blarg 07-06-2007 02:04 PM

I used to regularly read articles in the L.A. Times about how nasty the reclaimed water could get. At numerous points there have been warnings for different L.A. areas that the tap water was fit only for showering, not for drinking, until further notice.

At home, I have seen yellow water come from my pipes.

Much old plumbing has lead solder. Some has cracks, which can let in outside contaminants like pesticides.

The fact alone that the water is not going through communities' sometimes ancient and ill-maintained pipes is reason enough to get bottled water. The fact that the City itself sometimes admits that its water has gone bad and become unsafe does too. Getting yellow water out of your tap does too. So does water being extremely undrinkable in some neighborhoods.

There's plenty of reason to drink bottled water. I can guarantee you would find the drinking water in many communities unpalatable.

guids 07-06-2007 02:05 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
This is what water bottles are for. Some of the smarter yet more image conscious people I know pour tap water into an old evian bottle.

[/ QUOTE ]

1. I dont have a dish washer

2. this is a terrible option becuase if you dont get your bottle clean enough, it could be pretty bad.

3. Id rather not waste my time cleaning and sanitizing bottles and just spend 1$ if Im thirsty while on the road

4. carry a water bottle around everywhere is a pain in the ass

iron81 07-06-2007 02:07 PM

If you guys seriously have a problem with Stossel, look at the first links on this Google search.

BuckyK 07-06-2007 02:08 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

2. this is a terrible option becuase if you dont get your bottle clean enough, it could be pretty bad.

[/ QUOTE ]
I re-use the same old dasani water bottle every time I work out. The only time I'll replace it, is if I have it sitting around for a week or longer. Otherwise, it's rinse with hot water, and fill with cold.

RunDownHouse 07-06-2007 02:09 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
I really have trouble believing $0.15 is a savings over the cost of tap. For all the gallons and gallons of water we use every month, the water bill is like $30, and one of your arguments is that your 16 ounces runs 15 cents?

Sort of a funny story, my folks bought a place in NC that they're renting out. Its been empty for a while, and a month or two ago, they got a water bill for over $600. Obviously they asked the water company wtf, and the company responded that they used some ridiculous amount like 20,000 gallons of water... while nobody lives there. They even claimed they'd had the water meter checked and rechecked, and insist that the bill is correct. Somehow they're convinced that an unoccupied one-family home is using more water than a commercial brewery. Nuts.

Blarg 07-06-2007 02:09 PM

[ QUOTE ]
i have a poland spring water cooler in my apartment because it's baller. hot and cold water in an instant, and i don't care what anybody says, that ish tastes way better than NYC tap water.

besides, if the turrrists decide to poison the water supply i'm in good shape.

the biggest problem i have with bottled water is how wasteful it is to use those plastic containers for it. but when you have a water cooler they get re-used by the company, so it's all good.

if anyone is wondering we get like 20 gallons / month plus the cooler for 30 bucks. i think it's an awesome deal because i don't have to brew tea or coffee anymore, either.

[/ QUOTE ]

Agreed those dispensers are great. Fantastic to have hot or cold water instantly.

guids 07-06-2007 02:10 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
I re-use the same old dasani water bottle every time I work out. The only time I'll replace it, is if I have it sitting around for a week or longer. Otherwise, it's rinse with hot water, and fill with cold.

[/ QUOTE ]

honestly, i have 2 arizona iced tea gallon jugs that I keep in the fridge and drink throughout the day, and that is what I do too, but from a bunch of stuff Ive read, this is a bad thing.

szw 07-06-2007 02:11 PM

I waste money on enough stuff that what I waste on bottled water is trivial

Blarg 07-06-2007 02:11 PM

Backwash is ugly. Reusing those bottles with a straw or spout is especially gross and unsanitary.

BuckyK 07-06-2007 02:12 PM

I've read that too, but I'm too cheap & lazy to buy a re-usable bottle. Plus, I figure I drink enough whiskey to kill any bacteria that may grow.

MrMon 07-06-2007 02:15 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
I really have trouble believing $0.15 is a savings over the cost of tap. For all the gallons and gallons of water we use every month, the water bill is like $30, and one of your arguments is that your 16 ounces runs 15 cents?

Sort of a funny story, my folks bought a place in NC that they're renting out. Its been empty for a while, and a month or two ago, they got a water bill for over $600. Obviously they asked the water company wtf, and the company responded that they used some ridiculous amount like 20,000 gallons of water... while nobody lives there. They even claimed they'd had the water meter checked and rechecked, and insist that the bill is correct. Somehow they're convinced that an unoccupied one-family home is using more water than a commercial brewery. Nuts.

[/ QUOTE ]

A neighbor obviously filled their pool with your parents tap, knowing no one was home and they wouldn't get caught. Next time, your parents need to cut off the outside taps when no one is home.

RunDownHouse 07-06-2007 02:16 PM

[ QUOTE ]
honestly, i have 2 arizona iced tea gallon jugs that I keep in the fridge and drink throughout the day, and that is what I do too, but from a bunch of stuff Ive read, this is a bad thing.

[/ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]
Backwash is ugly. Reusing those bottles with a straw or spout is especially gross and unsanitary.

[/ QUOTE ]
Wait, really? I just reuse bottles all the time, and replace every few months as the dogs get a hold of one and ruin it. I'm constantly refilling and thus rinsing them out, usually once every day or so, so I don't see how they could possibly get unsanitary, or at least worse than a toothbrush or the paper towels in a public bathroom, etc.

guids 07-06-2007 02:17 PM

Also, the mod of the politics forum calling ANYONE a fish at life...is well...hilarious.

emon87 07-06-2007 02:18 PM

For anyone who says they need a bottle:

http://img522.imageshack.us/img522/4...enewideto0.jpg

Los Feliz Slim 07-06-2007 02:18 PM

Another vote for the water cooler at home. Hot and cold water at my fingertips.

Also, those of you who are re-using the same plastic bottle for weeks at a time without thoroughly washing it, go ahead and smell the inside of that bottle next time it's empty. Enjoy!

MicroBob 07-06-2007 02:18 PM

I use one of the Britta filter things in a pitcher for my tap-water.
I've occasionally drank straight from the tap before but I can definitely taste the difference. No idea if it makes it healthier but I feel better about it.

I don't think the cities that have slightly unhealthier water are especially interested in telling you about it.

Haven't read the Stossel stuff but I would have to think some of the tap-water out there isn't exactly the healthiest in the world.

DonkeyKongSr 07-06-2007 02:19 PM

I typically use 2 bottles of water a week: one for work and one for the gym. After I drink them the first time, I refill them for about a week until I switch to a new bottle. At home I drink out of a Brita. I do not drink tap water. It tastes and looks horrible. I prefer some sort of filtration before I drink it.

NozeCandy 07-06-2007 02:20 PM

Jesus, just get a Brita filter. Either the kind that attaches to your faucet or the pitcher, both work great.

tuq 07-06-2007 02:22 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Also, those of you who are re-using the same plastic bottle for weeks at a time without thoroughly washing it, go ahead and smell the inside of that bottle next time it's empty. Enjoy!

[/ QUOTE ]
Yeah, I reused one for a few weeks once because it was one of those large Smart Water bottles. Towards the end, the top area started to get gray, I couldn't reach anything in there to wipe it clean and rinsing it wasn't helping.

Not sure exactly what the issue is, but no doubt the moisture trapped inside the sealed bottle leads to some funky bacterial growth.

XXXNoahXXX 07-06-2007 02:23 PM

http://ironic1.com/water_cooler_1.jpg http://www.merlemagic.com/index_files/plus_sign.jpg http://www.camelbak-shop.de/out/oxba...z%20300_p1.gif http://www.decodeunicode.org/data/gl...6x196/208C.gif http://atlasshrugs2000.typepad.com/a...rel_nuts_1.jpg

emon87 07-06-2007 02:26 PM

A couple more things:

1. Tap water has extra GOOD things in it, such as fluoride.
2. Yellow water is not bad for you usually, it just means you got a little rust in a pipe you hadn't used for a while.

3. It is bad to use the soft plastic bottles over and over again.
4. To deep clean a bottle, toss a little vinegar and baking soda in there, let it fizz, then add some water and swirl around.

RoundGuy 07-06-2007 02:27 PM

[ QUOTE ]
This is a huge pet peeve of mine also. I know people that carry bottled water in their own fridge that they drink instead of tap water, WTF?

[/ QUOTE ]
I see you've been in my fridge, you little bastard. Probably stealing my Dasani, eh? Yeah, I thought so.

How you can possibly compare central Iowa tap water with Dasani is beyond me. I think I pay, what, $.25 a bottle on sale? Well worth it. Tap water sucks.

DonkeyKongSr 07-06-2007 02:30 PM

[ QUOTE ]
A couple more things:

1. Tap water has extra GOOD things in it, such as fluoride.
2. Yellow water is not bad for you usually, it just means you got a little rust in a pipe you hadn't used for a while.

3. It is bad to use the soft plastic bottles over and over again.
4. To deep clean a bottle, toss a little vinegar and baking soda in there, let it fizz, then add some water and swirl around.

[/ QUOTE ]

Let me get this straight...rusty water is okay, water in old plastic bottles is bad for you?

guids 07-06-2007 02:31 PM

he said reusing the plastic bottles, not straight from the bottle. it isnt an easy task to sanitize those plastic bottles, well my time is worth more than it is easy.

In all reality, Im not too worried about it as Ive never gotten sick just reusing the jugs.

one thing I will say, is that there is no sweeter water in teh world than drinking straight from the hose on a hot day.

12ressiMorP 07-06-2007 02:32 PM

Tap water is for poor people.

RunDownHouse 07-06-2007 02:35 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
Who the [censored] uses a faucet so seldom the pipes start to rust, then decides to fill a bottle with water from the faucet, and THEN decides to drink the water when it comes out discolored?

tuq 07-06-2007 02:35 PM

By the way, I do buy bottled water these days, but it's usually Safeway's label, or the Costco Kirkland brand. It does seem excessively elitist to me to pay 2-3X as much for a brand name. That or kinda stupid.

Also, I wish someone could explain to me the difference between drinking water and spring water. Which should I be choosing to maximize my drinking experience? On the one hand "drinking" water seems to be the obvious choice because I plan to drink it. On the other hand, spring water comes from a spring, amirite!? Hard to not want to drink water from a spring.

Billy Bibbit 07-06-2007 02:37 PM

I think the real fish at life are the people who get all worked up about something that saves you literally pennies. Are you also one of those people who goes out of your way to go a gas station on the other side of town to save 5 cents a gallon? My dad does this and it drove me nuts when I was growing up.

I prefer the taste of bottled water to tap water so I buy the 24-packs from the grocery store for about 15 cents a gallon. Of all the little things I could do to save myself money, switching to tap water probably isn't in the top 100.

By-Tor 07-06-2007 02:37 PM

SF tap water > bottled water

http://img524.imageshack.us/img524/3...hetchhehq2.jpg

DUCY?

guids 07-06-2007 02:38 PM