Two Plus Two Newer Archives

Two Plus Two Newer Archives (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/index.php)
-   The Lounge: Discussion+Review (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/forumdisplay.php?f=65)
-   -   What are your comfort movies? Why? (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/showthread.php?t=443388)

diebitter 07-05-2007 04:30 AM

What are your comfort movies? Why?

Comfort == movies you watch over and over when you have some time and not really wanting to do much else.

When I was a teen, the movie I used to watch over and over again was 'The Wanderers'. I just loved it when I saw it at teh cinema, and it was the first video I ever bought (this is back when VHS was new [img]/images/graemlins/tongue.gif[/img])

These days it tends to be comedies. If I'm bored and not much on, I'll often slip on Dumb and Dumber or Blazing Saddles. If I want something uplifting or a little deeper, then it's Groundhog Day. I'll also watch Dogma over and over - there's something intangible about it, but I really dig it.

And for action movies, it's usually Commando. It's dumb, it's exciting, it's short - it does absolutely everything you want from an action movie.

wondered what you guys reindulge in.

Dan BRIGHT 07-05-2007 04:47 AM

Re: What are your comfort movies? Why?

I have a lord of the rings marathon about once a year when im at my lowest. Star wars too, but about half as often.

Others include Apocalypse Now and various Tarantino's movies.

Stagger_Lee 07-05-2007 04:50 AM

My favourite for this would be Let It Ride - a movie all gamblers can relate to with great characters, nothing over the top.

Chevy Chase in the Lampoons vacation movies is very rewatchable.

National Vactation
Christmas Vacation
Euro Vacation
Vegas Vacation

Doesn't matter how many times you have watched some of those scenes.

The Sting falls into this category for me as well - just great characters that you get to be familiar with.

Jaws, The Great Escape & quite a few good westerns would also fit the description you've given.

For dumb action Under Siege is pretty good.

Burdzthewurd 07-05-2007 05:24 AM

O Brother Where Art Thou? is probably my ultimate comfort movie (if not my favorite movie ever). Just a good deal of fun, some ridiculous pokes at racism/classism, and I love the time period/location. Just never get tired kicking back and watching that with some ice tea.

Marwan 07-05-2007 05:25 AM

Cameron Crowe makes good comfort movies.. I can watch Fast Times or Almost Famous a ton of times.. lots of coming of age stuff I can watch again and again.. cool funny stuff like Ferris Bueller's Day Off or Dazed and Confused.

For the lonely yet still hopelessly romantic mood, Say Anything or Before Sunrise gives me comfort because hey, it could happen!

Finally the Big Lebowski.. I've watched it a good # of times.. give me a couple more years and I'll be the most annoying person to watch this movie with. (I'm already the worst to watch Seinfeld with cuz I laugh before the punchline knowing what's gonna happen and constantly blurt out upcoming lines then laugh.. can't help it)

JOEL_ 07-05-2007 05:35 AM

Papillon,Rocky,The great escape.

Basically,come back movies going against the odds,showing strength of character.

katyseagull 07-05-2007 07:51 AM

I've never seen O Brother Where Art Thou. Don't even know what it's about. Guess I need to rent this one huh. Good call on the Lampoon Vacation movies. Those are good comfort films.

When I'm horribly depressed I like comfort films and they are always comedies. I don't really like dramas that much. When I'm depressed the last thing I want to do is watch any knd of romance movie unless perhaps it has Jack Black in it. Top choices are

Dumb and Dumber
Liar Liar
School of Rock
Meet the Parents
Tommy Boy

I feel like watching Liar Liar right now.

JOEL_ 07-05-2007 08:01 AM

Guess someone is depressed right now then. [img]/images/graemlins/frown.gif[/img]

Camdaman19 07-05-2007 08:07 AM

Definitely have to say American Beauty, whenever I'm down a watching of that film will cheer me up. It just reminds me of how much beauty there is in the world.

Kimbell175113 07-05-2007 10:36 AM

Shaun of the Dead - funny and entertaining, but also has a script that rewards repeat viewings, and has this quality where if I see a clip or even think about the film I have to immediately go watch the whole thing.

Ghost World - just fits my sense of humor perfectly, and is also of course a very good movie.

renodoc 07-05-2007 11:19 AM

Old Bogie-

To Have and Have not
Key Largo
Falcon

Blarg 07-05-2007 01:04 PM

Usually Alien, The Good, the Bad, and the Ugly, or Heat. All three are extremely good at what they do and it's easy to find additional things to love about them, from the acting to the design to way the movie is put together.

I used to regularly fall asleep to one of my Futurama CD's. Me and Futurama, we're old friends by now. I also love old Universal monster classics, like Frankenstein and The Wolf Man.

I think what all those above have in common is a generous attitude toward quality, if that's the right way to put it. They aren't stingy with it. I can watch them over and over because you can see that people weren't just punching the clock and cranking them out, cutting corners and not really thinking or caring. They really wanted their stuff to be good, and it shows. Even in casual little things. And it's fun to discover, after the millionth time you've seen something, that there's still some small detail of set design, acting, camera work, etc. that you hadn't noticed before, and that fits just exactly right. It makes watching again still have possibilities to be newly amused or, if you're interested enough in how films are made or could be made better, instructed.

Blarg 07-05-2007 01:10 PM

Oh, also, Love and Death used to be in my regular rotation many many years ago, and now that I have it on DVD, it will probably work its way into my regular "watch too much" rotation again.

diebitter 07-05-2007 03:05 PM

Ahhh, I forgot Love and Death. Yes, that's definitely a frequent watch.

I also forgot Singin in the Rain. I just love this movie. I could easily watch it every day.

You'll always find me saying 'Dignity, always Dignity' when I find myself in am undignified situation.

Mrs. Utah 07-05-2007 03:13 PM

Love and Death is a good one as is Jaws.

I also could watch the typical romantic chick flicks like Sleepless In Seattle and You've Got Mail over and over...and have.

Kimbell175113 07-05-2007 08:21 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Heat

[/ QUOTE ]
Can't believe I forgot about that one. I've watched this more than any other film, probably. So many moments in acting greatness.

Full-Metall 07-05-2007 09:06 PM

Super Troopers and Office Space

Dan BRIGHT 07-05-2007 09:26 PM

ah man I havent seen O Brother Where Art Thou in years. Its tooooo funny and enjoyable. I'll have to watch it soon

Dominic 07-05-2007 09:50 PM

Casablanca
Moulin Rouge
Amelie
Local Hero
Stripes
The Man Who Would Be King

JackInDaCrak 07-05-2007 10:27 PM

The Big Lebowski, because everything about it is [censored] awesome.

revots33 07-05-2007 11:05 PM

Gotta go with Local Hero because a)it's my favorite movie of all time and b)it's a quiet and charming movie with awesome music, which makes it great to put on when I just feel like chilling out.

GeraldGiraffe 07-08-2007 07:43 PM

The Shawshank Redemption. It's full of great moments, it has a brilliantly satisfying revenge story and the straight love between Red and Andy rocks.

mattb8818 07-08-2007 11:10 PM

Tin Cup

Scully 07-08-2007 11:46 PM

I love the fairytale Cinderella, especially the Disney version but also more recent interpretations such as Ever After.

There is nothing like a good happily ever after movie. How could it be anything but comforting?

Blarg 07-09-2007 10:25 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I love the fairytale Cinderella, especially the Disney version but also more recent interpretations such as Ever After.

There is nothing like a good happily ever after movie. How could it be anything but comforting?

[/ QUOTE ]

That reminds me how much I love The Jungle Book, and how I always feel good after seeing it.

MortalWombat 07-09-2007 12:19 PM

Besides Shaun of the Dead, Super Troopers, and Office Space already mentioned, don't forget Harold and Kumar Go to White Castle and Clerks. I could watch those over and over.

Blarg 07-09-2007 01:19 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Besides Shaun of the Dead, Super Troopers, and Office Space already mentioned, don't forget Harold and Kumar Go to White Castle and Clerks. I could watch those over and over.

[/ QUOTE ]

I've done that with Harold and Kumar. Really easy to watch.

GambleGamble 07-09-2007 11:22 PM

Fletch

probably have watched it 10 times the last couple weeks, as we dont get cable during the summer and like havin something at least on the TV when millin around

jeramy576 07-10-2007 12:01 AM

A few of mine are:
The Sandlot
The Goonies
Cool Hand Luke
Little Monsters
Snatch
Godfather 1 & 2

Cortz 07-10-2007 01:29 AM

rounders
fearless

monkeyfightclub 07-10-2007 01:35 PM

When I was in college, we would watch Platoon, Conan the Barbarian, and Airplane over and over and over again.

Aces McGee 07-10-2007 03:44 PM

Dazed and Confused.

-McGee

Turkish 07-10-2007 04:42 PM

As a young lad,

Top Gun
Spaceballs

I have seen each of these > 100 times im guessing

Subfallen 07-10-2007 08:02 PM

Top Five, in order:

5. The Bourne Supremacy
4. Waking Life
3. Three Kings
2. Wonder Boys
1. The Big Lebowski

pokah5 07-10-2007 09:15 PM

when i was growing up it would be the sandlot and the mighty ducks series. i would watch those over and over.

now it's pretty much anything with will ferrell, owen wilson, ben stiller, steve carell or vince vaughn in it. for me, these movies never get old.

MortalWombat 07-10-2007 09:24 PM

Oh man, how could I forget Caddyshack?

diamonddawg 07-11-2007 01:07 AM

Comforting if I am in love:
Punchdrunk Love
Comforting if I am broken hearted and wonder if I am going to always feel this sick to my stomach:
A Very Long Engagement (before I saw this movie, I thought I was the only one who made prop bets with myself over fruit peels)
Comforting any time:
Wizard of Oz

oddjob 07-11-2007 04:07 PM

dazed and confused
shawshank redemption
high fidelity
super troopers
40 yo virgin

Rick Nebiolo 07-25-2007 02:47 AM

[ QUOTE ]
wondered what you guys reindulge in.

[/ QUOTE ]

Last of the Mohicans combines spectacular action with tear inducing romance. It doesn't hurt that Madeleine Stowe and Daniel Day-Lewis are in lead roles, both are charismatic eye candy making this the ultimate action flick that should satisfy you and your woman (or visa versa [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]). The music is perhaps the finest of any motion picture; at least five cuts are always on my iNano.

Master and Commander is pure pleasure. Russell Crowe and Paul Bettany are perfectly cast as Capt. Jack Aubrey and Dr. Stephen Maturin (ship's surgeon). Even those who haven't read Patrick O'Brien's 20 volume epic should find this movie memorable viewing. Especially well done are the scenes that take place around the Captain's dinner table on the HMS Surprise; they simply show male camaraderie as its finest. The music here is also very good.

~ Rick

xxThe_Lebowskixx 07-25-2007 03:13 AM

wong kar wai