Two Plus Two Newer Archives

Two Plus Two Newer Archives (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/index.php)
-   High Stakes Limit (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/forumdisplay.php?f=20)
-   -   I was told I played it really well 1/2 commerce 4 handed (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/showthread.php?t=442409)

HOWMANY 07-03-2007 10:46 PM

I was told I played it really well 1/2 commerce 4 handed

I had been playing for an hour or so 3 handed with this awful guy and then a guy that sounded like he might not be retarded (I was wrong) when a few other people wandered in and out. In this case the extra player is Hung La who I have never played with but he came over from some mixed game that broke and he had the look on his face of someone who has been curbstomped by thousands of bad beats so I was giving him credit for probably being good.

So fish folds, villain raises button, other guy folds, I call in bb with T[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]7[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]

Flop: Q[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]7[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]8[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]
I check/call

Turn:5[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]
I c/r with the plan of checking the river if he calls, probably folding. He apparently doesn't like my plan at all and 3bets, I call.

River: T[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]
What now?

Thoughts on flop/turn play and turn plan too.

daryn 07-03-2007 10:54 PM

Re: I was told I played it really well 1/2 commerce 4 handed

bet and call?

Clarkmeister 07-04-2007 02:25 AM

I'm checkraising.

DeathDonkey 07-04-2007 05:01 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I'm checkraising.

[/ QUOTE ]

Agree with this but I hate the turn checkraise. So you picked up some outs big whoopee.

-DeathDonkey

Joe Tall 07-04-2007 05:16 AM

Why did you check-raise the turn?

HOWMANY 07-04-2007 05:35 AM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I never want to have another winning session so I play every single hand the exact opposite of how it should be played.

casellaKid 07-04-2007 06:45 AM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I can't imagine not checkraising the turn. What exactly are you afraid of?

mike l. 07-04-2007 08:08 AM

the hand was a lot tougher and more interesting when you described it to me as the board being: Q87-9-T

mike l. 07-04-2007 08:11 AM

"I can't imagine not checkraising the turn. What exactly are you afraid of?"

the tough player correctly 3 betting after recognizing it as a pair that picked up more outs since that's what every kid under 30 does on the turn when that happens.

andyfox 07-04-2007 10:53 AM

The Costanza Method. I like it.

Turning Stone Pro 07-04-2007 11:36 AM

This is not a flop check-raise turn-lead situation? Seems rather routine to me.

TSP

vmacosta 07-04-2007 01:41 PM

Sheesh, check-raising the river seems like bigtime spew. What ranges are you guys giving villain!?!

I also can't imagine not c/r'ing the flop.

Joe Tall 07-04-2007 05:08 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I can't imagine not checkraising the turn. What exactly are you afraid of?

[/ QUOTE ]

A better hand than a pair of 7s owning me.

Bill King 07-04-2007 07:14 PM

i wouldnt be surprised if you see him check behind on this river quite a bit here so i like betting out

HOWMANY 07-04-2007 08:19 PM

[ QUOTE ]
the hand was a lot tougher and more interesting when you described it to me as the board being: Q87-9-T

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm pretty sure I didn't describe it like that or didn't mean to because if that had been the case I would have just went berserk and 4bet the turn.

mike l. 07-04-2007 09:12 PM

that is how you described it but you were asleep so that might be why. and i did say 4 bet the turn. anyway i too didnt like the turn c/r you need to just c/c. but i wouldve c/red the flop.

mike

HOWMANY 07-04-2007 09:58 PM

This was supposed to be one of those posts where I tricked everyone into thinking you said I played it well but now you ruined it by telling everyone I played it terrible. I also think you're right now because rethinking a lot of hands I've played lately I have deviated from my normal play by putting in lots of bets on the turn instead of the flop like normal and I think I may be putting too much in bad.

jba 07-04-2007 11:09 PM

I usually c/r the flop but I only responded because I folded queens pf to this guy and thought it was good at the time but I sucked at poker and now I think it was really stupid.

Kayber2 07-05-2007 03:26 AM

I usually checkraise the flop like everybody else.

Anyhow if I'm the vilain in this hand and I'm at Commerce I 3bet the turn a lot since the board is as draw heavy as it gets. However if called on the turn I check the river with my overpair or TPTK since the draw missed and if he's calling my turn 3bet and plans on calling my river bet he usually has one pair beat.

So...based on that if I'm the hero and river 2 pair I bet.

Scary_Tiger 07-05-2007 03:53 AM

[ QUOTE ]
bet and call?

[/ QUOTE ]

Sharingan21 07-06-2007 04:50 PM

Need more info on the villain. What do you think of leading out on the flop to see where you are? If you get raised, call the flop and either check call or check raise the turn, if the villain just calls the bet on the flop you would just lead out again.

After the 3 bet on the turn, I think you check raise on the river, because the villain is showing strength and likelihood to bet again on the river.

spino1i 07-07-2007 08:10 PM

check/raise is so aggressive and daring, but I dont know if its the right move here because theres a lot of hands you will be forced to pay off when he 3-bets you.. Is he really betting a weaker hand than a weak two pair more often on the river than one pair on this board?

Btw, flop looks good (flop check/raise is liable to get you in a lot of trouble against many different draws). Turn is good assuming he 2nd barrels draws more often than not. If he likes free-card plays with his draws and weak made hands, I like a turn lead better.

PokerBob 11-07-2007 07:05 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I had been playing for an hour or so 3 handed with this awful guy and then a guy that sounded like he might not be retarded (I was wrong) when a few other people wandered in and out. In this case the extra player is Hung La who I have never played with but he came over from some mixed game that broke and he had the look on his face of someone who has been curbstomped by thousands of bad beats so I was giving him credit for probably being good.

So fish folds, villain raises button, other guy folds, I call in bb with T[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]7[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]

Flop: Q[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]7[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]8[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]
I check/call

Turn:5[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]
I c/r with the plan of checking the river if he calls, probably folding. He apparently doesn't like my plan at all and 3bets, I call.

River: T[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]
What now?

Thoughts on flop/turn play and turn plan too.

[/ QUOTE ]

the flop is fine. check/raising is fine too.

the turn is just dumb. worse hands fold and better hands either 3bet or call.

as played, the river is a check/raise/fold.

hoppscot22 11-07-2007 07:10 AM

i definitely check raise the river

J.A.Sucker 11-07-2007 12:37 PM

As you played it, checkraise the river. Call a 3 bet if it comes.

For the rest of the hand, it really doesn't matter much what you do. These are good spots to mix up your play and you did. C/Ring on the flop is the standard line, but you can also bet it out and 3 bet if he raises, bet it out and call, or just check and call. The turn checkraise is fine, but you could just as well bet it out and see what happens. Who cares?

ALL1N 11-07-2007 12:46 PM

nm

elindauer 11-07-2007 02:57 PM

I'm assuming stox button steal range.

Flop: Range calculator tells me that villain holds a 1-overcard draw 37% of the time. As such, you should probably be check-raising this board with the hands you decide to play, as you have a decent amount of fold equity. If you check-raise bottom pair, it's going to be hard for him to call you with K9, A5, etc when you are actually on a straight or flush draw.

Note that pokerstove backs this up: we have 56% equity vs his range.

Having just called, I think your turn check-raise is fine. It depends of course on what range of hands you think opponent is betting on the turn, but if you think he's betting most of his range, then check-raise is the only play. We're 2:1 favorites against his range (pokerstove) and are happy to elliminate the 35% of his range that may fold (AK=3.3%, AJ,AT,KJ,KT type hands=16%, overcard-gutshot A9, A4, K9 etc=16%).

There may some concern about splitting his range with this raise, but if villain really does split his range around bottom pair, then we can exploit him by check-raising all hands on the turn, as "hands we beat" constitute a big % of his range, and that's ignoring flush (7.6%) and straight draws (6.4%).

You check-raise this turn with strong hands, so balancing your range with a hand like this with such high equity seems like a no-brainer from a game theory perspective.

On the river, I think you should check-raise. I'm assuming that your opponent is good enough to be 3-betting top pair hands on the turn. Both your turn check-raise and his turn 3-bet ranges should have a large number of 1-pair hands on this board (on the turn, he holds 2-pair-or-better only 5% of the time). Folding to a 3-bet is probably reasonable as T7s is one of the worst hands you'll hold after this action (call QTo, T8o) and of course it takes huge courage to try to exploit a player who is folding to a river 3-bet a bit more than game theory might suggest.

good luck.
Eric

sup_bro 11-07-2007 04:35 PM

i agree to CR that TURN and IF u do that u MUST lead that RIVER and call a raise....he could be 1)overplaying his overpair on the RIVER or 2) may have raise TURN for a free SD...i realize that this is NOT online, because online this is an easy lead on the RIVER because every TOM, DICK, and MARY 3 town that draw happy board on TURN for a free SD with a solid ACE and thus when ur perceived draw misses and u lead 95% of the online free world will pay u off.....

PokerBob 11-07-2007 04:51 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Putting in 3 bets on this river after the turn action is absurd.

James282 11-07-2007 06:24 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Putting in 3 bets on this river after the turn action is absurd.

[/ QUOTE ]

I think c/r river fold to 3 bet rules because you can then be like "haha i suck i had missed clubs" and fold it.

James

Mr.Busto 11-19-2007 06:32 PM

check call turn then check raise river seems to be fine.
math works out, so you save or gain extra bet in either situational result.
dont raise turns here, maybe in NL but still the texture makes it kind of unneeded

Bill King 11-19-2007 06:57 PM

i think the river c/r idea is pretty bad, b/c you're all assuming he's calling the river raise which would make the play probably slightly +EV, but he can probably fold in this spot making the play bad b/c he only calls/raises with the best of it.

Heisenb3rg 11-19-2007 07:42 PM

I think the turn is more interesting than people are giving credit...
If im playing a steaming LAG, this is a PERFECT spot to c/r on average, because I expect to get 3-bet bluffed (and unfortunatly p0wned) very frequetnly...
I also expect extrmly light call downs (A hi?) because of the amount of draws here.

A key variable is how 2 barelly he is... Because if hes betting hands like KJ and AJ on the turn, then youd prefer to charge him now , rather than let him see the river cheap.
If he doesnt, then his range is pretty strong once he bets the turn, and a c/r would be pretty bad.

I also like to get any opportunity I can to shove bets down steaming players throats, to put them on harder tilt.. If ever the situation is close, I always err on the side of agression.

River is an easy c/r imo..

One Outer 11-20-2007 04:55 AM

Would it be fair to say that hero is essentially charging himself to draw on the turn? Meh.

I'd be worried that villain is trying to take a free showdown with his turn threebarrel. b/c river.

PokerBob 11-21-2007 01:01 PM

[ QUOTE ]
i think the river c/r idea is pretty bad, b/c you're all assuming he's calling the river raise which would make the play probably slightly +EV, but he can probably fold in this spot making the play bad b/c he only calls/raises with the best of it.

[/ QUOTE ]

this pot is huge and our line is weird. he calls plenty.

redsd00dz 11-22-2007 01:07 AM

i would checkraise