Two Plus Two Newer Archives

Two Plus Two Newer Archives (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/index.php)
-   STT Strategy (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/forumdisplay.php?f=38)
-   -   Prediction: Swings will be crazy at the speeds (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/showthread.php?t=43992)

1C5 02-22-2006 10:33 PM

Prediction: Swings will be crazy at the speeds

This is what I think anyway.

Calling ranges seem to have gone way down and many times there are 300/600 blinds with 8 players left= crapshoot.

nthn2fancy 02-22-2006 10:37 PM

Re: Prediction: Swings will be crazy at the speeds

i agree, i think i am moving to pokerstars. gonna lose my extras but oh well.

Newt_Buggs 02-22-2006 10:38 PM

I still haven't played since the changes but the reasons that you list seem like they would impact ROI much more than variance. Are you suggesting that ROI will be lower which will lead to worse downswings?

wpr101 02-22-2006 10:39 PM

I don't think it increases variance that much. I have never seen the blinds at 300/600 with 8 people. It's important to adapt to the new structure. Can you explain further why it would increase variance?

Lori 02-22-2006 10:40 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

The slow $11s from my sample of nine tourneys seem to be utterly simple. My longest one was only 67 mins and second longest was 62 mins so they are still going to be quicker and easier than stars.

Lori

GreekHouse 02-22-2006 10:41 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Can you explain further why it would increase variance?

[/ QUOTE ]

It doesn't. But it might increase your downswings and RoR. The reason is that the shorter structure will almost certainly decrease your ROI.

meleader2 02-22-2006 10:41 PM

[ QUOTE ]
This is what I think anyway.

Calling ranges seem to have gone way down and many times there are 300/600 blinds with 8 players left= crapshoot.

[/ QUOTE ]

this is not a problem if you have good ring play. shoving is not an option anymore, bet 2/3 the pot consistently! they call with 2nd pair. it's ridiculous. they never believe ur 800t raise when the blinds are 100t.

fold early on to the dreaded min raise! ak isn't that good.

suzzer99 02-22-2006 10:42 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

It's almost the same structure, but at PS you get less starting chips (1500).

ZeeJustin 02-22-2006 10:43 PM

If you finish 1/2/3 x/y/z % in both turbos and regulars, your swings will be the same in each.

The only way the OP would make sense is if he is arguing ROI would be lower (which is most likely correct).

pooh74 02-22-2006 10:43 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

haha! Don't like new friends? [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]

suzzer99 02-22-2006 10:47 PM

No, there are enough sharks trying to earn VPPs as it is over there. Why do you think durron, bluefeet, HesseJam are jumping ship? They're smarter than me, that's why.

SlackerMcFly 02-22-2006 10:47 PM

The reason that calling ranges have widened is because most players have not made the adjustment of xBB raise as it relates to starting stack sizes.

Thus, a 3x BB raise in level 2 equates to 180 chips. Inconsequential to the stack sizes at that point, thus more callers.

"McFloatingRaise" combats this and will be effective for some time until good players adjust.

Simply put, raise 6x BB in early levels in position, lower to 5x as the blinds increase, 4x in mid-game etc. as the stack sizes dictate (or your own personal variation).

Think in terms of % of x player stack instead of BBs at this point and you will be ahead of the game (for a while).

Bonus. You'll have a lot more chips than most and there will be fewer players at the table when you do reach 3x BB "push any two".

Just MHO. But keep it to yourself. It's a secret.

SlackerMcFloatingBB

suzzer99 02-22-2006 10:48 PM

6BB?

SlackerMcFly 02-22-2006 10:52 PM

[ QUOTE ]
6BB?

[/ QUOTE ]

Perfect example! Oh My God! Raise 6x BB? Are you nuts???

Regular 800 or 1000 chippers freak at the humongous bet you just made and fold or do something other than play correctly. The percentages are the same, but the bet looks ginormous.

Figure it out.

suzzer99 02-22-2006 10:54 PM

I play $60 PS 1500 chippers. I would be the only player raising 6BB standard on that site. Not saying it's wrong, but definitely worth a '?'. Why throw so much out there to win so little?

Unless you're just messing around and I fell into the trap. Bad suzzer. Bad.

linuxrocks 02-22-2006 10:57 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Bonus. You'll have a lot more chips than most and there will be fewer players at the table when you do reach 3x BB "push any two".

[/ QUOTE ]

How? There aren't enough opportunities early to get chips. At 200/400, and 300/600 things are just crazy.

SlackerMcFloatingBB

[/ QUOTE ]

SlackerMcFly 02-22-2006 10:57 PM

Suzzer bad, but not for this reason. [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img] I was talking about the Speed tourneys on Party. Disaster lurks doing this on Stars and one shouldn't try this at home w/out a net or a bankroll.

pooh74 02-22-2006 10:59 PM

[ QUOTE ]
No, there are enough sharks trying to earn VPPs as it is over there. Why do you think durron, bluefeet, HesseJam are jumping ship? They're smarter than me, that's why.

[/ QUOTE ]

just joking around...relax. your post had a tone of desperate pleading to it. [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

suzzer99 02-22-2006 11:02 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

just joking around...relax. your post had a tone of desperate pleading to it. [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

[/ QUOTE ]

Not really. Here does this help? - [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/shocked.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/smirk.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/confused.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/cool.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/tongue.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]

nyc999 02-22-2006 11:05 PM

I'm running really well at the speed $11s (80% ROI). While I know this can't continue forever, it seems the fish haven't made the adjustment and it can be very profitable.

I've been utterly amazed at the number of 3 or 4-way allins, pushing with bottom pair, etc. The other factor which I think can positively impact ROI is heads-up being more deep stacked, even at the speed tourneys.

Slim Pickens 02-22-2006 11:22 PM

Did they change the payout structure? (rhetorical)

Hendricks433 02-22-2006 11:27 PM

[ QUOTE ]
If there were no variance, there would be no fish.

[/ QUOTE ]

I feel the same way about the normal ones. They seem easy. The turbos are interesting but not that difficult.

1C5 02-22-2006 11:27 PM

Yes, ROI will be lower.

$/H may be higher but there is NO way ROI will be higher in the speeds.

suzzer99 02-22-2006 11:28 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

How do you answer a rhetorical question?

[img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]

Rhett 02-22-2006 11:43 PM

You don't! Unless you're suzzer, in which case a sexual inuendo is probably involved.

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

How do you answer a rhetorical question?

[img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]

[/ QUOTE ]

sixhigh 02-22-2006 11:51 PM

For it's worth, I think the expectable ROI in the speeds is lower than in the old structure for two reasons.
1: We have less hands to outplay the bad players and have to push small edges very soon.
2: Most of us seem to concentrate on the speeds, thus the rate of decent players is higher than before, and there are less players left who pay us of with draws, 2nd pair, etc.

But the loss of ROI is somewhat compensated by the increased number of tournaments one can play. While 5-tabling continously for 5 hours one can get through 50 tournaments instead of 35. So you will have the same $$/h if your ROI drops to 70% of your ROI in the old structure. Since you have to play more tourneys your variance will increase.
I.e. If a player with a ROI of 20% at the 11s in the old days and a SD/game of $20 played 200 tourneys he had an EV of $440 and a SD of $283. Now he can play 285 speedtourneys in the same time and if his ROI drops to 14% he will still have an EV of $440, but his SD will be $338, or 19% higher.

I'm not quite sure yet how much drop of ROI we can expect, but mine went down the drain this week. But it might as well just be variance [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img].

SlackerMcFly 02-23-2006 12:18 AM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]
How? There aren't enough opportunities early to get chips. At 200/400, and 300/600 things are just crazy.

[/ QUOTE ]
Because you are probably the only one picking up the blinds and/or getting called when you raise correctly in position with hands that you should play.

All others are folding PF for a period of time. You figure out the timing. Good luck. FloaterMcSlack

RubbishCards 02-23-2006 01:17 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
Actually they're very different, the blinds hit 200-400 at level 5 in the Party speeds, when the Stars turbos are at 75-150.