Two Plus Two Newer Archives

Two Plus Two Newer Archives (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/index.php)
-   Health and Fitness (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/forumdisplay.php?f=87)
-   -   SamG's Log (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/showthread.php?t=438211)

SamG 06-28-2007 03:11 PM

SamG\'s Log

Hi, I'm SamG. I'm a scrawny ass weakling who needs to get into shape. This is my log.

I'm posting publicly to 2p2 as motivation. Also I'm considering other forms of motivation, NaNoWriMo style, like pledging to send a check for $X to some political group I detest if I don't stick to the program for at least some period of time.

All comments, criticisms, whatever are welcome.

* VITALS

Height: 6'0"
Weight: ~165
Sex: Male

My scale at home says I'm ~17% body fat. Not sure how accurate that is. I definitely have a bit of a gut and not much muscle.

* BACKGROUND

I'm a complete novice to weight training, and I'm out of shape. As I noted in the other thread, over the last 6 months I've lost 35 pounds dieting. Now I want to build some muscle.

* PLANNED ROUTINE

Rippetoe Starting Strength, with cardio on off days.

* EQUIPMENT

Right now a Bowflex Sport, which I bought on sale before finding the Health and Fitness forum. I know, I know.

Not sure yet whether I want to invest in some free weights or join a gym. I don't have a great place to keep the equipment, other than maybe my one car garage. Plus I wouldn't mind joining a gym with a pool. On the other hand I would much prefer the convenience of a home gym.

Edit: Didn't make this clear in the original post, but I'm doing one or the other. I'm not going to try to use the Bowflex for Rippetoe. Any guidance or what I should do / what I should buy is appreciated.

* DIET/SUPPLEMENTS

Not sure what I need to do here, but I eat terribly now. I know nothing about supplements or if I should even be thinking about using them. Advice?

I'm probably going to play in the WSOP ME, so I plan to start my workouts after I return rather than doing them for a week and stopping. This should give me a couple weeks to find some equipment and figure out exactly what I need to do.

Thanks for reading.

SmileyEH 06-28-2007 03:19 PM

Re: SamG\'s Log

How are you going to do rippetoe with a bowflex? Good luck though.

SamG 06-28-2007 03:28 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
I'm going to buy some free weights or join a gym.

secretprankster 06-28-2007 03:39 PM

I might recommend starting your workouts before the ME to be honest. Most newcomers get serious cases of soreness in the few days after their "first" workouts. Combine that with the fact that you might (definitely will? [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]) bust within the first two days and I think it's best to get started ASAP.

As far as diet, the only supplements you should probably get now are some good whey protein powder and some fish oil capsules. The rest is just standard H+F protocol; eat protein with every meal, eat every 2-3 hours, eat unlimited green vegetables, and get in healthy fat sources.

GL.

dethgrind 06-28-2007 03:54 PM

Sounds like you've got some discipline if you can lose 35 pounds in 6 months without exercise. Sell the bowflex and get a one year gym membership. If you stick with it for a year, then think about setting up a home gym with a power rack, bench, and a barbell set. By then you'll have had enough time to figure out where to put it.

SamG 06-28-2007 04:00 PM

Last Year:

http://img522.imageshack.us/img522/8...ac91b58ys9.jpg

Now:

http://farm1.static.flickr.com/159/4...1ef171eda2.jpg

SmileyEH 06-28-2007 04:03 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
I'm going to buy some free weights or join a gym.

[/ QUOTE ]

My bad. I thought the debate was bw bflex/frees/gym membership.

SamG 06-28-2007 04:35 PM

[ QUOTE ]
As far as diet, the only supplements you should probably get now are some good whey protein powder and some fish oil capsules.

[/ QUOTE ]
Fish oil capsules?

[ QUOTE ]
The rest is just standard H+F protocol; eat protein with every meal, eat every 2-3 hours, eat unlimited green vegetables, and get in healthy fat sources.

[/ QUOTE ]
Can anyone who works in an office share how you do this? What kinds of foods do you keep at your desk? What's your diet like? I don't have access to kitchen, but they do have a fridge and a microwave here.

Right now I only eat two meals a day, lunch and dinner. Not good, huh?

Btw, thanks everyone for your advice.

dethgrind 06-28-2007 04:43 PM

I keep a bag of mixed nuts and some fruit at my desk. In the fridge I put cottage cheese and leftover dinner stuff in tupperware.

fish oil: http://www.wholesalesupplementstore....-fishoils.html

They'll have it at the drug store, it's for omega-3 fatty acids.

anklebreaker 06-28-2007 10:34 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
The rest is just standard H+F protocol; eat protein with every meal, eat every 2-3 hours, eat unlimited green vegetables, and get in healthy fat sources.

[/ QUOTE ]
Can anyone who works in an office share how you do this? What kinds of foods do you keep at your desk? What's your diet like? I don't have access to kitchen, but they do have a fridge and a microwave here.

[/ QUOTE ]

This is a really good question, and I think it deserves its own thread.

thirddan 06-28-2007 11:00 PM

i work in an office all day...cook your meals on the weekend or in the morning...pack them into a cooler and just eat them when you need to...

i eat 2/3 times per day at the office with no problems...2 whole food meals packed in tupperware cooked over the weekend and 1 shake...

SamG 07-25-2007 01:25 PM

OK, guys. I haven't posted forever because I was at the WSOP ME for over a week, then when I got home I came down with a nasty cold, which I'm just now getting over. Today is the first day for a while I haven't been popping DayQuil capsules into my mouth every few hours.

I joined a gym yesterday and plan to go for my first workout either tonight or tomorrow. This forum has been immensely helpful so far. A few more questions:

1. How do I know how much to lift my first time? I really have no clue how much weight to put on the bar. (I'm doing Rippetoe.)
2. What machine do you guys recommend for cardio? Treadmill, exercise bike, something else?
3. Anything else I should know before my first workout?

Thanks.

SamG 07-25-2007 01:40 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Combine that with the fact that you might (definitely will? [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]) bust within the first two days and I think it's best to get started ASAP.

[/ QUOTE ]
Or I could last four days and finish 142nd. Hypothetically speaking of course [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

dethgrind 07-25-2007 01:47 PM

The Rippetoe FAQ: http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=998224

1. Start with just the bar and do a set of 5. Keep adding 10-20 pounds until the bar speed slows down noticeably. Do 3 sets at that weight.
2. I say mix it up. Once you get skilled at something it becomes less of a workout to do the same thing. So keep it fresh. Throw in some swimming, rowing machine, elliptical, jump rope, etc.
3. Keep a log. It's a great motivational tool.

SamG 07-26-2007 09:14 PM

OK, my first workout today. I'm really [censored] weak, but you gotta start somewhere. I tried to go easy since I am hopelessly out of shape.

7/26

Squat: 115 x 3 x 5
Bench: 95 x 3 x 5

Cardio: 20 minutes elliptical

I know I'm supposed to do deads. I will next time. I don't have a good excuse.

Pretty sure I have awful form. I have a friend who works out often. I might take him next time to watch me. Also I am going to reread the Rippetoe stuff, this time more carefully.

Postworkout, I drank Muscle Milk (2 scoops mixed with water). Should I be drinking this preworkout, too? I'm considering also adding a multivitamin and fish oil capsules.

I feel good, but I'm already sore. I'm not looking forward to tomorrow. Anything I can do tonight to lessen the delayed onset soreness?

thirddan 07-26-2007 09:57 PM

sam, congrats on getting started...don't worry about being weak, gotta start somewhere...you will be amazed how your lifts will go up as you become more proficient at the lifts and get a bit of experience and likely more confidence in your ability to lift heavier weights...

to get rid of the soreness, eat, get good sleep...you could try taking a contrast shower (very hot and very cold, back and forth), don't know if it really works but ive read it from a ton of different sources...

dethgrind 07-26-2007 10:32 PM

Heh, the best thing to prevent the soreness would be to start with lighter weights. If I were hopelessly out of shape I wouldn't have started at 115 for the squats especially... tomorrow could suck really bad for you. Take some advil if it's really bad, but continue to workout through the pain unless its really crippling. Usually after a good warm up you'll be fine.

Here's a good read on workout nutrition: http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=272067

Summary: 2 to 1 ratio of carbs to protein before and after. So add some dextrose or ground up oats or both to that shake and have one before the workout too. Sweet tarts are ok if you can't get dextrose, which you can find at beer brewing supply stores.

To learn the proper form, I recommend looking at videos and posting your own for critique.

lozen 07-26-2007 11:13 PM

I still think he should start out with More reps and lighter weight. After three months than go to smaller sets and more weight. Advil can be your best friend take two before bed

dethgrind 07-26-2007 11:21 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I still think he should start out with More reps and lighter weight. After three months than go to smaller sets and more weight.

[/ QUOTE ]
Why?

lozen 07-27-2007 10:18 AM

I am just going from persoanl experience. I could barely lift and my trainer switched me to lighter weight more reps to build some muscle. After I was 10 weeks into the program she switched it to heavier weight and lower reps. I was new to lifting weights back than. As i have gotten back to the gym I have begun the same program. Though I am trying to loose weight and not bulk up

SamG 07-27-2007 11:42 AM

Guys, thanks again for the support and advice. It's extremely motivating. Really.

I'm not nearly as sore today as I thought I'd be. (I'm sore, but not "OMG I can hardly walk" sore.) Not sure if that is a good or bad thing, but I'll definitely be able to hit the gym again tomorrow.

One question about diet:

As I mentioned before, I still have a bit of a gut, and I want to lose some fat. My understanding is that you need to create a caloric deficiency to burn fat. I've also read that you need to eat -- and eat a lot -- to build muscle. So what if you want to do both? I don't know what my calorie targets should be.

Before I started working out, I calculated my caloric need at about 2200 calories. I subtracted 500 from that to lose 1 lb / week, and that was my goal. How does weight training change this picture?

I worked hard to lose the weight... I'm a little paranoid about getting fat again eating 6 meals a day and drinking protein shakes.

Btw, I was combing through the archives this morning and thought this post was really good:

Strength Training

- Sam

Edit - Forgot to mention: I'm pretty sure I miscounted the weight on the bar for my squats, and I was only doing 105. Not a huge difference or anything. Just want to start with an accurate baseline so I can measure my gains.

mattnxtc 07-27-2007 11:43 AM

You generally dont struggle at the beginnign because you "cant" lift the weights...its more you need to wait on your CNS to adjust to this new activity...Thats why beginners move up so quickly in weight generally.

dethgrind 07-27-2007 12:18 PM

[ QUOTE ]
As I mentioned before, I still have a bit of a gut, and I want to lose some fat. My understanding is that you need to create a caloric deficiency to burn fat. I've also read that you need to eat -- and eat a lot -- to build muscle. So what if you want to do both? I don't know what my calorie targets should be.

[/ QUOTE ]
At your stage you should be able to gain muscle and lose fat at the same time for a couple months.

SamG 07-27-2007 01:01 PM

[ QUOTE ]
At your stage you should be able to gain muscle and lose fat at the same time for a couple months.

[/ QUOTE ]
Cool, so how much should I eat? I went to a caloric need calculator and plugged in moderate activity level instead of light. It spit out 2940 to maintain my weight. Should this be my target?

dethgrind 07-27-2007 01:45 PM

There was some discussion of this in my thread "my fitness goals and tentative plan, please advise". You're in a similar boat as me in that you're pretty much skinny fat. If you bulk you'll get fatter, if you cut you'll be freakishly small. I decided to just eat clean at near maintenance calories.

thirddan 07-27-2007 02:35 PM

agreed, find your maintenance cals by actually eating healthy food for a while until you reach a point where you arent gaining or losing, use the calculators as a guide...simply increasing protein and eating healthy will probably show you some body comp changes after a coupe weeks...then worry about increasing or decreasing cals...

Thremp 07-27-2007 03:59 PM

[ QUOTE ]
simply increasing protein and eating healthy will probably show you some body comp changes after a coupe weeks

[/ QUOTE ]

SamG 07-27-2007 04:46 PM

OK, I'm going to target ~3000 cal/day and do my best to eat clean (7 habits / food that makes you look good nekkid). This might be tough because I eat [censored] all the time. Even when I dieted, I ate terrible -- I just ate less. Also I don't know how to cook.

My scale measures body fat. I'm not sure if the results are accurate, but it seems to give consistent readings when I step on it first thing in the morning. Maybe I'll put some tape over my weight and just watch the body fat number to gauge how I'm doing.

Incidentally, does anyone have any opinion on stuff like Lean Cuisine microwave meals? Good, bad, or meh? I practically lived on the stuff when dieting. Also any opinion on Fuze Slenderize drinks?

thirddan 07-27-2007 05:07 PM

the body fat measurements on home scales suck and vary a ton based on hydration...rely on your weight/mirror/clothes to tell you if you need to go up or down w/ the cals...

recipe thread...
http://www.t-nation.com/tmagnum/read...geNo=23#bottom

SamG 07-28-2007 02:30 PM

2nd workout today, and it sucked. I should have given my body another day or two to rest.

Squat:

45 x 3 x 5

This morning I couldn't even do the motion with no weight (too sore), so I'm actually happy to complete three sets, even with only 45 lbs.

Bench:

115 x 1 x 1 (decided I couldn't do 5)
105 x 1 x 3 (failed on 4th rep)
95 x 3 x 5 (failed on last rep of last set)

This just sucked. No improvement. I am weak.

Deadlift:

Trying to gauge how much I should lift. I did a set of 5 fairly easily with 125 lbs, but afterwards my neck and back hurt. I decided I was probably doing them wrong and stopped. I'm a little paranoid about hurting myself because I don't know what I'm doing.

Cardio: 20m elliptical

Drank one protein shake before the workout and another during cardio.

Stupid question: What do you do when you fail? If you're really doing your 5 RM, at the end of the 3rd set you should be pretty close to failure, no? Do I need a spotter?

Fortunately there was a guy there to help me.

SmileyEH 07-28-2007 02:43 PM

Sam does your gym have a power rack? If so there are adjustable bars you can set just below the bottom of your squat so that if you fail you can just drop down and let the weight rest on them. If that's the case you will only need a spotter for bench, although for right now the weight you are doing is not enough to be a danger. If you fail just roll the bar onto your stomach and sit up then maneuver yourself out.

lozen 07-28-2007 03:48 PM

Also consider booking a few sesions with a trainer. Keep it going.

SamG 07-30-2007 02:00 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Also consider booking a few sesions with a trainer. Keep it going.

[/ QUOTE ]
I signed up for a free consultation with a trainer, but haven't been contacted yet. We'll see how that goes.

SamG 07-30-2007 02:03 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Sam does your gym have a power rack? If so there are adjustable bars you can set just below the bottom of your squat so that if you fail you can just drop down and let the weight rest on them. If that's the case you will only need a spotter for bench, although for right now the weight you are doing is not enough to be a danger. If you fail just roll the bar onto your stomach and sit up then maneuver yourself out.

[/ QUOTE ]
Yeah, they do have one power rack, which I've been using. I'm also trying to convince a friend to start Rippetoe with me for motivation and so we can train together / spot each other.

SamG 07-30-2007 02:27 PM

7/29: Went to a pool party for a friend's daughter's birthday and swam laps afterwards. I enjoyed it and might make swimming a regular thing.

I read this bit in the Rippetoe FAQ, which supports the advice from dethgrind, thirddan, and Thremp:

[ QUOTE ]
If you don't have abs now, and you are a chubby, NO weight training program will get you a 6-pack without dietary adjustments and cardio. As a newb to weight training, your best bet is simply to clean up your diet, maintain a strict food log, and monitor your calorie intake and morning post-take-a-dump bodyweight. Don't try to lose weight (unless you're pretty fat), try to maintain. This will allow your body to burn bodyfat for fuel while building muscle. This is ESPECIALLY effective for chubby teenagers and out-of-shape older guys who used to be athletic/lean and can use muscle memory to help them get back in shape.

[/ QUOTE ]
I also think I overestimated my caloric need. I'm now targeting about ~2500 / day and keeping a detailed food log on thedailyplate.com.

I'm going to gym tonight, and I'm pumped. I feel much better today, not nearly as sore/tight as the last few days, and I WILL add weight to all my exercises. I'm ready to see those beginner gains everyone talks about. Time to kick some ass.

IronFly 07-31-2007 01:16 PM

Sam - how was the session last night?

Good thread, good log.

I'm in somewhat of the same boat as you, but I have to hold off on weightlifting because I'm currently rehabbing a knee injury.

Stay motivated!

SamG 07-31-2007 04:14 PM

7/30 Workout

The GOOD: I convinced my friend to start Rippetoe with me, and we worked out together last night. He shot some videos that I'll post later. Also I'm starting to eat better.

The BAD: Squats were a disaster, and I wasn't able to increase weight (sets across) on my bench press.

Squat:

2 x 5 x 45 (warm-up sets with the bar)
115 lbs - failed
105 lbs - failed (!)
1 x 3 x 85 (or was it 75??)

I lost balance coming out of the squat on the 3rd rep, broke form, and racked the bar. Wtf! This weight should be easy. I've got a video of it, which I'll post later. Not sure if this is simply a problem with coordination / balance or what. I have two theories:

A) My first workout, when I did 105, I might have only done partial squats. Now I'm squatting deeper, and I can't handle the same weight.

B) My body hasn't fully recovered from my first workouts.

Likely it's a combination of (A) and (B). My plan is to just reset for the next workout and approach squats like I've never done them before. Start with the bar and add 10 lbs until I find a good weight I can lift with proper form. This whole "start with a weight that's too heavy and then remove plates" way is ass-backwards and counter-productive, and I'm doing it too much.

So yeah squats were a disaster. I love squats in theory, but suck at them when I get under the bar.

Bench:

1 x 5 x 45 (warm-up with the bar)
1 x 4 x 105
2 x 5 x 95

I could have done 105 sets across probably, but I pussed out. Next time.

One problem with the gym I go to is their smallest plate is 5 lbs. If I want to increase weight, I have to go up 10 lbs, and 95 -> 105 is almost a 10% increase in weight. But I can (and will) do 105.

Deadlift:

1 x 5 x 65 (warm-up)
1 x 5 x 135

The 135 set was a piece of cake. I should be lifting more.

Cardio: 20m exercise bike

Next planned workout Thurs (8/2). I haven't decided yet if I'm going to progress to the B workout like I'm supposed to or do A another two times so that my friend and I are in sync. Either way, I'm psyched to have someone to workout with.

Disappointing workout overall, but one thing is good: I have nowhere to go but up from here.

SamG 07-31-2007 04:24 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Good thread, good log.

[/ QUOTE ]
Thanks. If it's good, it's because of the solid advise from everyone here. I'm posting mostly for selfish reasons: to stay motivated and have my newbie questions answered. [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img] But I do hope that it helps another novice get started.

Good luck with your rehab.

SamG 07-31-2007 04:38 PM

Diet

I'm finally trying to eat a little better, and I've started eating many small meals throughout the day (per the 7 habits article). I'm now convinced diet is a giant part of building muscle and getting lean. I'm also drinking a lot more water.

If you guys see anything I really shouldn't be eating, tell me. The chicken fried rice and microwave meals probably aren't so good, huh?

This morning I weighed 165.2 lbs. My scale said 17.3% bodyfat, but I don't trust it.

What I ate yesterday:
http://img122.imageshack.us/img122/7144/picture1mp5.png

What I've eaten so far today:
http://img122.imageshack.us/img122/7776/picture2lm7.png

IronFly 07-31-2007 10:46 PM

what website do you use for your food & exercise log? I'm using calorie-count.com but would love to find something better.