Two Plus Two Newer Archives

Two Plus Two Newer Archives (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/index.php)
-   Other Other Topics (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/forumdisplay.php?f=36)
-   -   yet another police brutality post (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/showthread.php?t=437472)

wslee00 06-27-2007 06:08 PM

yet another police brutality post

yeah i know this is on digg, but just wanted some opinions on this...

http://youtube.com/watch?v=EH6AYVn2yw4

could 6/27/07 be police brutality OK day? I feel these punk kids probably deserved what they got. Oh - and skateboarding is illegal in this town.

Phresh 06-27-2007 06:15 PM

Re: yet another police brutality post

That kid totally assaulted the cop when he ran into help the chick.

onthebutton 06-27-2007 06:19 PM

Skateboarding doesn't appear to be the issue here. Resisting arrest/fleeing the police is.

CORed 06-27-2007 06:21 PM

I didn't see anything that could remotely be called police brutality here. The law against skateboarding is idiotic, IMO, but the cop was just doing his job trying to enforce it and the punk kids were trying to run off, resist. etc. The cop did what he had to to restrain them and no more. Nobody got tasered, maced, or hit with a baton. I thought the cop handled it pretty well, under the circumstances.

TIEdup14 06-27-2007 06:28 PM

"HE'S JUST RIDING A SKATEBOARD" 50 million times

Brian 06-27-2007 06:28 PM

This is ridiculous. They're f'ing kids. I have no problem with someone 18+ being treated this way for skateboarding/being a douche/evading police/etc. But they're f'ing kids.

Also, we'll never really be able to judge the officer's actions accurately because we don't know exactly what happened leading up to that. But I doubt his force was necessary.

Brian

[EDIT]: Wow hard to get an f bomb in under these censors.

TIEdup14 06-27-2007 06:34 PM

Yes they are minors, but listen to how they speak to the officer... telling him what to do, telling him how he should have handled the situation

It's just like trying to have your cake and eat it too. Either you get handled with kid gloves and show respect for adults, or dont and be treated with adult force

swingdoc 06-27-2007 06:36 PM

What town is that? I have a sudden, intense desire to go skateboarding there.

Brian 06-27-2007 06:45 PM

[ QUOTE ]
That kid totally assaulted the cop when he ran into help the chick.

[/ QUOTE ]

Honestly, if I were walking along the street and saw a 13 year old girl getting chokeholded, I probably would have been arrested for "disorderly conduct" as well, because I (hope that I) would have intervened in some way. Again, we'll never know exactly what transpired. And it looks like the video cuts between the officer saying "You're in violation of city ordinance" to the girl, and then taking the girl into a chokehold. But I doubt the girl did anything to deserve that chokehold. The officer lunges at her and she instinctually turns to run (I would have too, even if I were planning on cooperating), and WHAM! Down goes punk-ass brat frazier.

Again, if she were 18, I'd probably side with the officer.

Brian

maniacut 06-27-2007 06:49 PM

During my second time watching it, after the first kid is arrested one of the others takes off and the cop gives chase, at this point one of the guys says "dude, let's leave, srsly" which is pretty much what I thought they should do at that point. I guess they'll listen that guy more often from now on.

esad 06-27-2007 06:52 PM

Cliff Notes

-Punk skateboarding teens think they can do whatever they want with impunity.

-Cop teaches teens that defying the law gets you chased down handcuffed and arrested.

-Stupid teens still think they did nothing wrong and are entitled to do whatever they want regardless of how their actions might affect others.

-Stupid Teens post video on YouTube to show the world how they were brutalized by "The Man", but are instead mocked.

oddjob 06-27-2007 07:07 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Cliff Notes

-Cop teaches teens that defying the law gets you chased down handcuffed and arrested.

-Stupid teens still think they did nothing wrong and are entitled to do whatever they want regardless of how their actions might affect others.

-Stupid Teens post video on YouTube to show the world how they were brutalized by "The Man", but are instead mocked.

[/ QUOTE ]

i used to skateboard, and i'm no gigantic fan of the police, but this is absolutely correct.

we knew what we were doing was wrong, and yah we'd argue, but in no way would we push this [censored]. that's just plain dumb. if a friend was getting arrested we would no way get that close to an officer, who will probably feel threatened, being outnumbered by kids with skatebaords that could be used as weapons.

kids are dumb.

Autocratic 06-27-2007 07:12 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Cliff Notes

-Cops also think they can do whatever they want with impunity

-Two styles of douche, one 17 years old and one a former bouncer, collide in a giant doucheball that spirals out of control.

-Anti-cop people, susceptible only to their preconceptions, jump on the easy opportunity and throw around their really loose understandings of the law.

-Pro-cop people, susceptible only to their preconceptions, jump on the easy opportunity and throw around their really loose understandings of the law.

[/ QUOTE ]

FYP

cianosheehan 06-27-2007 07:15 PM

imo the main thing on show is not 'police brutality', it's a display of how badly things can go if a police officer has no grasp on how to handle a situation properly.

The police officer was not necessarily overly rough or brutal, but just showing really really bad policing skills.

bottomset 06-27-2007 07:15 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Cliff Notes

[/ QUOTE ]

i used to skateboard, and i'm no gigantic fan of the police, but this is absolutely correct.

we knew what we were doing was wrong, and yah we'd argue, but in no way would we push this [censored]. that's just plain dumb. if a friend was getting arrested we would no way get that close to an officer, who will probably feel threatened, being outnumbered by kids with skatebaords that could be used as weapons.

kids are dumb.

[/ QUOTE ]

agree with all that

Brian 06-27-2007 07:18 PM

Autocratic,

LOL, excellent FYP. Best I have seen in awhile. Though I of course must assert my Anti-cop people side with a really loose understanding of the law and say that since they were 13, and not 17, this was ridiculous.

Brian

[EDIT]: And, if this turns into some really big thread, good thing Autocratic got the real Cliffs Notes in near the start of it.

Mike Gallo 06-27-2007 07:18 PM

[ QUOTE ]
imo the main thing on show is not 'police brutality', it's a display of how badly things can go if a police officer has no grasp on how to handle a situation properly.

The police officer was not necessarily overly rough or brutal, but just showing really really bad policing skills.

[/ QUOTE ]

almostbusto 06-27-2007 07:21 PM

Cop was way way way out of line on this one and it isn't even close. I don't see how anyone can come to any other conclusion. When someone acts out against an abusive authority figure (who has near absolute power in this situation) you can hardly blame them.

I know we didn't get to see everything that lead up to that event, but if it was short of punching the cop in the face, it was totally uncalled for. and since the cop mentioned a lot of things, but never anything like that, i am pretty sure the kid didn't do anything crazy before the camera arrived.
In conclusion, here is a little illustrative ranking of the people/things i hate in life:
cop > OP > papercuts >ann coulter > rednecks

Aloysius 06-27-2007 07:21 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

The cop appears to be incredibly incompetent. I hope they keep him on the kiddie patrol.

Autocratic - haha nice.

-Al

illeagle 06-27-2007 07:46 PM

Hey man, whatever it takes to get these dangerous criminals off the street, I'm all for it.

jesusarenque 06-27-2007 07:52 PM

Cops, as a group, are douches. What do you expect?

Blarg 06-27-2007 08:03 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Cliff Notes

-Cops also think they can do whatever they want with impunity

-Two styles of douche, one 17 years old and one a former bouncer, collide in a giant doucheball that spirals out of control.

-Anti-cop people, susceptible only to their preconceptions, jump on the easy opportunity and throw around their really loose understandings of the law.

-Pro-cop people, susceptible only to their preconceptions, jump on the easy opportunity and throw around their really loose understandings of the law.

[/ QUOTE ]

FYP

[/ QUOTE ]

Very nicely done.

wonderwes 06-27-2007 08:05 PM

local news story

I love on the website poll, of 50,000 voters, 36% said the cop did the right thing

Blarg 06-27-2007 08:07 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

This is quite true too. A cop reacting to the situation by trying to arrest multiple kids is being stupid and looking stupid. Zero idea of working with the community. These are just kids, not hardened criminals or deviants. And their "crime" was minor, to say the least. Then he makes it worse by saying he's going to lay all these multiple charges on them. Come on already, Officer Vagina Sand.

Arresting one of them would have been enough to make the point. Telling them to get the hell out of here or they'd be arrested would probably have made the point with at least some of them. Basically, the cop made a mountain out of a molehill. Given the the opportunity to make the best or the worst out of the situation, he made the worse choice.

This has nothing to do with whether it was the law or not. Officers are still allowed to use discretion. So the law neither prompts nor excuses not being able to handle himself well. If this guy can't handle kids, I'd hate to see how he handles adults.

Blarg 06-27-2007 08:09 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Hey man, whatever it takes to get these dangerous criminals off the street, I'm all for it.

[/ QUOTE ]

I agree. They were probably just scoping out the neighborhood so they could see if anyone's Aunt had put an apple pie out to cool on a windowsill.

oddjob 06-27-2007 08:11 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I agree. They were probably just scoping out the neighborhood so they could see if anyone's Aunt had put an apple pie out to cool on a windowsill.

[/ QUOTE ]

in these all white communities, kids are the dangerous minorities.

captZEEbo 06-27-2007 08:28 PM

I think the video didn't show everything that happened. I'd give the cop a little more benefit of doubt than one what showed.

KotOD 06-27-2007 09:06 PM

Yay for youtube.

http://news.google.com/news?tab=wn&h...ncl=1117602421

It's global. Some interesting quotes:

"Two of the skaters have been placed on house arrest because it is their second infraction. However, public outcry over the YouTube video has placed the officer on administrative leave. "

I like that video cameras are around. It takes public outcry to get an investigation. Without the video, the kids have no chance.

"Hot Springs Mayor Mike Bush said Tuesday that investigators have talked with witnesses who saw the officer, Joey Williams, stop the skateboarders on a downtown city sidewalk last Thursday. Skateboarding is banned in the area.

The video shows Williams apparently choking one of the skateboarders after forcing him to the ground, then later chasing and wrestling two others while holding them in a headlock.

"Unfortunately, the video shows it pretty good," Bush said."

Anyone else read this statement from the mayor as "Unfortunately, the guy is on video and we can't claim that the kids are lying and railroad them."?

NozeCandy 06-27-2007 09:15 PM

[ QUOTE ]
did the police officer acted appropriately?

[/ QUOTE ]
I'm not a huge grammar nit, but Jesus Christ.

Reef 06-27-2007 09:19 PM

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v3...oliceforce.jpg

being the expert that I am after 2 semesters of Crim J, I do not think the officer handled this situation close to optimal

guids 06-27-2007 09:24 PM

[ QUOTE ]

being the expert that I am after 2 semesters of Crim J, I do not think the officer handled this situation close to optimal

[/ QUOTE ]

your chart seems to lead me to believe that cop did the right thing according to training? active physical resistince = physical tactics/impact weapons.

cianosheehan 06-27-2007 09:32 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I think the video didn't show everything that happened. I'd give the cop a little more benefit of doubt than one what showed.

[/ QUOTE ]

It doesnt matter what happened outside the cameras view. The kids may have been taunting him, giving him a load of abuse or whatever. They may have been entirely disrespectful and boiled him to a point where it is understandable that he flipped out so hard. But the point is, as a trained police officer he SHOULD be able to handle this kind of situation without the situation breaking down in to relative chaos as shown in the vid. They are only young skater teens with a bit of attitude. If he cant handle a few kids with skateboards, what's he going to do in a more serious situation?

AngusThermopyle 06-27-2007 09:49 PM

No broken bones?
No blood?
No bullet holes?

You call this police brutality?

Try this story.

Video of incident

Sponger. 06-27-2007 09:58 PM

[ QUOTE ]
No broken bones?
No blood?
No bullet holes?

You call this police brutality?

[/ QUOTE ]

YEAH MAN CAUSE ITS GOTTA BE HARDCORE VIOLENCE TO BE BRUTALITY LOL NICE POST

Colonel Kataffy 06-27-2007 10:01 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

your chart seems to lead me to believe that cop did the right thing according to training? active physical resistince = physical tactics/impact weapons.

[/ QUOTE ]

That girl was acting at about level 2 and the cop was acting on her at a level 5. At no time were the cops in any physical danger.

captZEEbo 06-27-2007 10:28 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

That girl was acting at about level 2 and the cop was acting on her at a level 5. At no time were the cops in any physical danger.

[/ QUOTE ]since when is "verbal resistance" the same as running away from the officer, swinging your skateboard at the officer and having your friend charge the officer while you are trying to arrest her? It doesn't really matter if they were in "physical danger" but they don't want to escalate it TO physical danger.

Sponger. 06-27-2007 10:32 PM

[ QUOTE ]
having your friend charge the officer

[/ QUOTE ]

what?

Blarg 06-27-2007 10:32 PM

I think almost anyone would run to the defense of a 12 year old girl being lunged at by some big angry dude. That doesn't count as an attack at all in my book. It's more like the reflex of just being a human being.

captZEEbo 06-27-2007 10:51 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
having your friend charge the officer

[/ QUOTE ]

what?

[/ QUOTE ]2:08 it looked like he's charging the officer, but on second viewing I could be wrong =/

illeagle 06-27-2007 11:29 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
When she turned to run away, she was actively physically resisting, that's level 5 resistance. The pig acted reacted appropriately according to that table.