Two Plus Two Newer Archives

Two Plus Two Newer Archives (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/index.php)
-   News, Views, and Gossip (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/forumdisplay.php?f=31)
-   -   Schizophrenia (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/showthread.php?t=437363)

samoleus 06-27-2007 04:09 PM

Schizophrenia

Two good things came out of this recent bs drama. First (less importantly) many of you have come to see what a worm Dean is.

Much more importantly, I was tremendously pleased to see so many of you pm me with interest in donating to the schizophrenia association.

I am touched and really humbled. I had really believed for some time that this forum was primarily populated with losers who get their rocks off by bashing others. What I now believe to be true is that those posters are simply the vocal ones but not in the majority. I cannot overstate how moved and pleased I am to see such an outpouring of support for this cause.

To expand upon that, I do not have schizophrenia. But as many of you probably guessed, someone very close to me is afflicted. I have seen how it destroys lives, and it is indeed a cause that is very dear to my heart.

Many of you that pm'd me about contributing know a little about it. For those of you that don't (and those of you that want me to explain further), schizophrenia affects the limbic system and causes the afflicted to hear voices and in some cases see visions creating an entirely alternate reality. Trapped in a world where they cannot decipher what is true and what is not, they often become very paranoid and suspicious of those that try to help them. Many of them turn to drugs to self-medicate themselves from their delusions. The drugs damage their limbic system further causing worse hallucinations, which they in turn assuage by taking more drugs. It is a vicious cycle that destroys their lives and those close to them.

Unfortunately, the government and we as taxpayers do not do enough to study this disease. There is no cure and its research is grossly underfunded. As I have said, this is a cause that is very dear to my heart, and please know that those of you that are choosing to support it will have my deepest appreciation and gratitude (for what that is worth).

Sincerely,
Samo

ImsaKidd 06-27-2007 04:10 PM

Re: Schizophrenia

I saw the title and I was sure you were going to tell us you were afflicted.

Can we get a summary of what Dean did to make you so angry?

Yuv 06-27-2007 04:11 PM

I don't know the history of this. I kinda want to post the picture with the tin foil hat, but I'm not sure what's going on here.

Triumph36 06-27-2007 04:11 PM

Everyone thinking samo was afflicted - schizophrenics have trouble with normal life, much less becoming top poker players.

samoleus 06-27-2007 04:14 PM

This may be a totally inappropriate forum and request, but I would sincerely appreciate it if this thread could be stickied for a few days. Obviously, I understand if this is not possible.

And again, anyone interested in helping, please pm me.

EmpireMaker2 06-27-2007 04:29 PM

It would make alot of sense if you had schizophrenia

samoleus 06-27-2007 04:35 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

EM2, you are the epitome of class. Good luck with your life.

ReptileHouse 06-27-2007 04:39 PM

A relatively recent pop-culture exposure to the topic was in the film "A Beautiful Mind" about John Nash.

EmpireMaker2 06-27-2007 04:45 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

No your the one who will get shocked in the head and take 10 pills everyday gl to you....

bozzer 06-27-2007 04:56 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

No your the one who will get shocked in the head and take 10 pills everyday gl to you....

[/ QUOTE ]

ban

CaseS87 06-27-2007 04:58 PM

Can somebody please explain to me what is going on in this thread? Does OP have schizophrenia, and if not, why are we discussing this?

ifoughtpiranhas 06-27-2007 05:03 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Can somebody please explain to me what is going on in this thread? Does OP have schizophrenia, and if not, why are we discussing this?

[/ QUOTE ]
op wants people to donate to said charity. similiar idea to barry gs charity donations thread

Phresh 06-27-2007 05:55 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

wtf, read the thread you jackass.

cts 06-27-2007 05:59 PM

havent read this yet but ohhhh this is gonna be good

Ansky 06-27-2007 06:12 PM

Samo,

Can one donate via cc online?

Also, I have no clue why you think ppl think dean is now a worm, it is clearly not the case.

I'd like to donate btw if I can do it by credit card.

Phresh 06-27-2007 06:22 PM

Once I'm at 5/10 I plan on donating a % of my monthly income each month (provided I can afford it).

lapoker17 06-27-2007 06:24 PM

this thread was a bad idea. and dean is kind of a worm.

btmagnetw 06-27-2007 06:38 PM

wtf this is like lame game shows where celebrities play for charities because all the fun in game shows is watching people fail but then you can't root for them to fail if they play for charities so you just watch the tv so and its completely lame and you're just like wtf this is lame.

bkholdem 06-27-2007 08:21 PM

Hi Samo,
In case you are not aware of it there are some exciting things happening with respect to recovery from major mental illness. Boston University has a recovery center and I don't know if you have ever heard of him but Dr. Daniel Fisher who runs the national empowerment center can serve as a great inspiration to others who have a mental illness

http://www.power2u.org/

I happen to be of the opinion that the more angles in which you look at a problem, the better off you are. I hope you don't have a negative knee jerk reaction to what he has to say. He is/was schizophrenic himself and was told he would never hold a full time job. He didn't want to lay down and take that prescribed future. He went to college, medical school, and is a psychiatrist. He also has a PhD. He can serve as a role model to anyone in the world with a major mental illness. Most might not be able to achive what he has, or maybe not even come remotely close, but everyone can benefit to exposure to the concept of recovery from mental illness.

I happen to work in the field and have had the pleasure of seeing people make amazing changes over the years. There is a growing peer provider movement growing in which people who have/do receive treatments for major mental illness help each other make progress and grow and improve their lives. It is an exciting time. I hope that you consider looking into it.

Recovery: Definition & Components

Since the mid-1980s, a great deal has been written about mental health recovery from the perspective of the consumer (client), family member and mental health professional. The amount of research of various aspects of recovery continues to grow. Early research by Courtney Harding (1987) and others challenged the belief that severe mental illness is chronic and that stability is the best one could hope for. They discovered there are multiple outcomes associated with severe mental illness and that many people did progress beyond a state of mere stability. As such, the concept of recovery began to obtain legitimacy (Sullivan 1997).

Although there are many perceptions and definitions of recovery, William Anthony, Director of the Boston Center for Psychiatric Rehabilitation seems to have developed the cornerstone definition of mental health recovery. Anthony (1993) identifies recovery as " a deeply personal, unique process of changing one’s attitudes, values, feelings, goals, skills and/or roles. It is a way of living a satisfying, hopeful, and contributing life even with limitations caused by the illness. Recovery involves the development of new meaning and purpose in one’s life as one grows beyond the catastrophic effects of mental illness."

Ultimately, because recovery is a personal and unique process, everyone with a psychiatric illness develops his or her own definition of recovery. However, certain concepts or factors are common to recovery. Some of these are listed below.

Hope

Hope is a desire accompanied by confident expectation. Having a sense of hope is the foundation for ongoing recovery from mental illness. Even the smallest belief that we can get better, as others have, can fuel the recovery process.

Early in the recovery process, it is possible for a treatment provider, friend, and/or family member to carry hope for a consumer. At some point, however, consumers must develop and internalize their own sense of hope.

Medication/Treatment

While many people are frustrated by the process of finding the right medications and the side effects of medications, most persons with a psychiatric disorder indicate that medications are critical to their success (Sullivan, 1997). For many, the goal is not to be medication-free, but to take the least amount necessary.

Likewise, mental health consumers often report that mental health professionals and treatment programs are valuable to their recovery. Especially when consumers feel they are engaged in a partnership with their treatment provider and are involved in their treatment planning.

Empowerment

Empowerment is the belief that one has power and control in their life, including their illness. Empowerment also involves taking responsibility for self and advocating for self and others. As consumers grow in their recovery journeys, they gain a greater sense of empowerment in their lives.

Support

Support from peers, family, friends and mental health professionals is essential to recovery from mental illness. It is especially beneficial to have multiple sources of support. This not only reduces a consumer’s sense of isolation, but also increases their activity in the community, allowing them to obtain an integral role in society.

In addition to support from individuals, participation in support groups is an important tool for recovery. Consumers frequently report that being able to interact with others who understand their feelings and experiences is the most important ingredient for their recovery.

Education/Knowledge

In order to maximize recovery, it is important to learn as much as possible about our illnesses, medications, best treatment practices and available resources. It’s also important to learn about ourselves, including our symptoms so that we can gain better control over our illnesses.

Consumers can educate themselves by speaking with health care professionals, attending workshops and support groups, reading books, articles and newsletters, browsing the internet and participating in discussion groups.

Self-help

While most consumers recognize the value of professional treatment, self-help is often viewed as the conduit to growth in recovery. Self-help can take many forms including learning to identify symptoms and take actions to counteract them, reading and learning about an illness and its treatment, learning and applying coping skills, attending support groups and developing a support system to rely on when necessary.

Spirituality

A broad definition of spirituality is that it’s a partnership with one’s higher power. For many consumers spirituality provides hope, solace during their illness, peace and understanding and a source of social support.

Employment/Meaningful Activity

Frequently, when we meet new people, they ask "what do you do?" Whether it is fair or not, what we do shapes others' opinions of who we are. As a result, it is common for a person's identity to be significantly impacted by what they do. Likewise, what a person does influences his/her confidence, esteem, social role, values, etc. Simply put, employment/meaningful activity affords most consumers the opportunity to regain a positive identity, including a sense of purpose and value.

Anthony, W. A. (1993). Recovery from mental illness: The guiding vision of the mental health service system in the 1990’s. Psychosocial Rehabilitation Journal, 16(4), 11-23.

Harding, C. M., Brooks, G. W., Asolaga, T. S. J. S., and Breier, A. (1987). The Vermont longitudinal study of persons with severe mental illness. American Journal of Psychiatry, 144, 718-726.

Sullivan, W.P. (1997). A long and winding road: The process of recovery from severe mental illness. In L. Spaniol, C. Gagne and M. Koehler (Ed.), Psychological and social aspects of psychiatric disability (pp. 14-24). Boston: Center for Psychiatric Rehabilitation.

NOSUP4U 06-27-2007 08:40 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

you're. gg school.

Mark

Conan 06-27-2007 08:49 PM

Is this person close to you in your immediate family? Perhaps your father or brother?

josh_x 06-27-2007 09:34 PM

post screenshots of the pm's samo

highhustla 06-27-2007 09:41 PM

IDK if it's been mentioned before, but does the way samoleus posts remind anyone else of the super-polite and overly eloquent Nigerian spam scammers?

ESKiMO-SiCKNE5S 06-27-2007 10:47 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

you're. gg school.

Mark

[/ QUOTE ]

there should srsly be an autoban for retards like this.....

TomHimself 06-27-2007 10:52 PM

what did dean do?

ImsaKidd 06-28-2007 01:26 AM

[ QUOTE ]
what did dean do?

[/ QUOTE ]

I'd guess he (or his schizophrenic alter ego) pooped on samos shoes or something.

Glo 06-28-2007 02:16 AM

Werd, been there, done that...

2 family members... Yay me, crazy life.

More like 'Interesting life'.

peachy 06-28-2007 05:14 AM

There are different types...u dont HAVE to hear voices and see things, etc. Im sure i can find some benifical info if u want or explain some things? I skimmed the post though...o well..

The Hag 06-28-2007 05:20 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

You should seriously die in a fire.

samoleus 06-28-2007 10:12 AM

Thanks for your post bk

NOSUP4U 06-28-2007 03:10 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

you're. gg school.

Mark

[/ QUOTE ]

there should srsly be an autoban for retards like this.....

[/ QUOTE ]

You sound cute. Will you kiss me?

Grinder22 06-28-2007 03:44 PM

i used to suffer from Schizophrenia but we dont anymore

nuSFwck 06-28-2007 04:16 PM

[ QUOTE ]
what did dean do?

[/ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
samo,

Screem shots of the 10-12?

[/ QUOTE ]

(a) the fact that the posters sent me private messages clearly shows that they do not want this publicized, and I will respect their privacy

(b) this is completely immaterial and irrelevant to the matter at hand

(c) I admit that in my haste (and without actually counting), I overstated the number (10-12). There were 8 posters that pm'd me saying something to the effect that they believe Crablar to be scum.

finally, I am starting to get sucked into this discussion and flame-fest again - which is something that I am determined not to do.

[/ QUOTE ]

How about you let Mat Sklansky or someone else access your pms and there are 8 people saying they have found KOD to be a scumbag (or equivalent word) in their interactions with him I ship $2k to the charity of your choice (perhaps the one you claimed you gave $2mil to but I could find no evidence of actually exisiting).

[/ QUOTE ]

Will you really agree to this Dean? If I can prove that 8 people pm'd me to this effect, will you agree to donate 2K the charity that I request? I want this on record.

[/ QUOTE ]

We would have to hammer the exact details out but yes. But let me be clear - it cant be along the lines of

'Hey, I was reading the thread and I think you are in the right and he is definitely in the wrong!

Best,

Mr.x (poster with 5 posts).
'

because that is obviously totally meaningless.

Im looking for

'Hey, I have IMed/met in real life/played with KOD and imo he is a douchebag/[censored]/scumbag/has bad character'

D

[/ QUOTE ]

ohgeetee 06-28-2007 04:43 PM

tl;dr