Two Plus Two Newer Archives

Two Plus Two Newer Archives (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/index.php)
-   STT Strategy (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/forumdisplay.php?f=38)
-   -   LC: Coaching Directory (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/showthread.php?t=433725)

KPL 06-22-2007 08:45 PM

LC: Coaching Directory

In the Medium Stakes forum they have a coaching directory sticky. What about making something like this in STT? I know some of the people here are coaching, and spending some cash on this is a very good opportunity to improve as a player. Both the link above and Cardrunners.com offers SNG coaches, but I'm sure that there is better players/coaches for the game that are browsing STTF, and may "advertise" in a link, than the coaches both MSNL and Cardrunners may offer (on coaching SNGs, that is...).

If there isn't any love for the idea among the moderators, perhaps we can share our experience in this thread? (But don't use it to trash bad coaches you have had - I'm sure that they will run out of customers anyway if they don't have any happy ones...).

I begin: I had a coaching session with Bluefeet, and it helped my game tremendously, both in a strategic way, and psychological as well (especially regarding self esteem, believing how I'm playing the game etc.). He doesn't do coaching anymore, but I hope other people can share their experience.

microbet 06-22-2007 08:50 PM

Re: LC: Coaching Directory

Yugo is life coaching.

KPL 06-22-2007 08:57 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Yugo is life coaching.

[/ QUOTE ]

Really? You're a student? Any good?

relativity_x 06-22-2007 09:23 PM

I used to coach girl's softball back in High School. I used to love watching them slide into home.

BigCummins 06-22-2007 09:42 PM

I'd be interested from a students side. or if anyone just wants to swap HH's that would be cool too. pm me

microbet 06-22-2007 09:57 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Yugo is life coaching.

[/ QUOTE ]

Really? You're a student? Any good?

[/ QUOTE ]

I was skeptical because I'm so old and he's so young, but he really helped me turn things around.

http://farm1.static.flickr.com/52/14...a867f59746.jpg

TruFloridaGator 06-22-2007 11:00 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I used to coach girl's softball back in High School. I used to love watching them slide into home.

[/ QUOTE ]

You sicko.

TruFloridaGator 06-22-2007 11:04 PM

I don't think there is a need, just post in the [censored] thread if you need one of if you are coaching and you should get some PMs. It's certainly not a bad idea but there isn't that much coaching these days when people can just teach themselves. I coach intermediate to advanced players, FWIW.

The Yugoslavian 06-22-2007 11:43 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Yugo is life coaching.

[/ QUOTE ]

I used to coach STTs as well! ZOMG I'M A SUPER COACH, [img]/images/graemlins/tongue.gif[/img].

Yugoslav

microbet 06-23-2007 12:02 AM

Is Darth Vader wearing a crucifix ear ring?

johnnyknish 06-23-2007 12:05 AM

haha yea he is i have never noticed that before

Slim Pickens 06-23-2007 01:14 AM

The STT coaching paradox:

Anyone who's capable of being worth x$/hr as a coach can make 2x$/hr playing SNGs or 3x$/hr playing cash.

TruFloridaGator 06-23-2007 01:19 AM

[ QUOTE ]

Anyone who's capable of being worth x$/hr as a coach can make 2x$/hr playing SNGs or 3x$/hr playing cash.

[/ QUOTE ]

I agree, STTFers do it because we are so kind at heart. [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]

SuitedSixes 06-23-2007 01:29 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I agree, STTFers do it because we are so kind at heart. [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]

[/ QUOTE ]

My experience is that most people who are actively looking for students are running bad/busto.

TruFloridaGator 06-23-2007 01:32 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

My experience is that most people who are actively looking for students are running bad/busto.

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't know the hell is actively looking for students these days but you're probably right. I only do it if someone asks me because they really need it.

Slim Pickens 06-23-2007 01:41 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I've only ever taken students as a hobby. It's fun, but not really financially rewarding.

The Yugoslavian 06-23-2007 01:42 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I've only ever taken students as a hobby. It's fun, but not really financially rewarding.

[/ QUOTE ]

QFT

Yugoslav

Eagles 06-23-2007 01:49 AM

I'm leaving for the summer but fwiw I would gladly coach in cash/mtts when I get back. If your looking for sngs sngicons/cardrunners/pokerxfactor are probably your best bet. FWIW I think sngicons is the best but I am definetely biased.

Pudge714 06-23-2007 01:51 AM

It's somewhat financially rewarding but you don't think of it like that. If you get paid your hourly you think of it as breaking even since you rarely win your hourly. Also I charge what I think is a pretty accurate representation of my hourly FWIW.

SuitedSixes 06-23-2007 02:04 AM

[ QUOTE ]
It's somewhat financially rewarding but you don't think of it like that. If you get paid your hourly you think of it as breaking even since you rarely win your hourly. Also I charge what I think is a pretty accurate representation of my hourly FWIW.

[/ QUOTE ]

I never charged enough. I think I was the cheapest coach ever, and usually by the 2nd session you're such good friends with the guy that you feel bad charging anything. That was the tough part for me, you care about the guy's results so when he's running bad you feel bad for him, which doubles your usual chance of stressing over someone running badly.

GtrHtr 06-23-2007 06:13 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

you realize you just admitted to being a [censored] coach?

regardless, I'd hire you.

Slim Pickens 06-23-2007 02:22 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

you realize you just admitted to being a [censored] coach?

regardless, I'd hire you.

[/ QUOTE ]

I am a [censored] coach, though I've got a decent record at teaching difficult non-poker concepts. It's mostly out of my own laziness, although success with a coach is probably 90% the student's motivation and only 10% the coach's.

kevstreet 06-23-2007 02:58 PM

KP, are you looking for another coach for STTs?

Typically how long does the coach/student relationship last (one month? two months?)

BradleyT 06-23-2007 03:01 PM

Yeah can someone briefly describe what happens in the coaching process and how long it often lasts?

DerrtySlime 06-23-2007 03:16 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Yeah can someone briefly describe what happens in the coaching process and how long it often lasts?

[/ QUOTE ]
yes please!

KPL 06-23-2007 03:31 PM

[ QUOTE ]
KP, are you looking for another coach for STTs?

Typically how long does the coach/student relationship last (one month? two months?)

[/ QUOTE ]

lol, actually, I'm not. I'm looking for a PLO coach, and I find that the process is a pain in the ass (there are few people listed on Cardrunners etc., people who are asking this question in the Omaha high forum isn't getting any love etc.) As this forum is basically where I learned to not suck (big time) in poker, I hoped that this request/thread would make it easier for people to get a coach, which really is a huge help to most peoples game (especially if they are mediocre players). Also, guess that SNG coaches are important, as most bad to mediocre poker players start of playing SNGs because of the nature of the game...? (relative easy to learn how to beat the low levels, a game where how to be winning is "solved" etc.)

KPL 06-23-2007 03:34 PM

Sorry, Kev, missed the second question.

Dunno, but I had a very good deal with Bluefeet, where he reviewed 10 of my HHs and then 5 more to see if my game had improved for a ridiculously low price. This process took about 3 months I guess, kind of slow, but nice bargain, anyhow.

HappyHotdog 06-23-2007 03:42 PM

No one has said a word about price here. I am very intrested in sending my HH out to extremly exp. players what is a standard rate?

SuitedSixes 06-23-2007 04:01 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Here's how I used to do it:

Player would send me 20-25 HHs with varying places of finish. I'd review those and then give them a report on how they were playing with 4-6 specific areas/concepts to focus on over the next 300 tournaments.

During that time they could send me unlimited e-mails, PMs, whatevers, and 3-5 HHs a week. At the end of 300 SNGs we'd re-evaluate if we wanted to keep working together or not.

The duration would depend on how long it takes someone to play 300 tournaments. I've got one guy going on 6 months now.

Like Slim said, much of the success is dependent on the student communicating with the coach. I charged 30% of the profit over the 300 with a $200-$250 non-refundable deposit to cover the time for the HH review.

TruFloridaGator 08-04-2007 12:41 AM

Bump for my Coaching services. I'm more interested than usual because I'm helping some others & heading back to school so I'll have some time where I'll want to do some coaching stuff but not get in to a poker session. PM me for details.

TruFloridaGator 08-20-2007 12:54 PM

Bump. I'm adding a few more students right now & I'm running some very good deals. PM me if interested.

sence25 08-20-2007 02:10 PM

you should prolly post a game record for to get ppl interested in your coaching.

Paul B. 08-20-2007 02:17 PM

I'll be coaching small-mid stakes NL cash games starting next month. I consider myself a very technical and efficient player/coach, and anyone who wants to learn how to multi-table better should contact me.

K䲰䮥n 08-20-2007 02:25 PM

PM me for a cash coaching offer. I play NL50.

EDIT: I don't offer coaching. I'm the one asking to be coached (is this bad English?).

lacky 08-20-2007 02:26 PM

a couple people have asked (I know, stop laughing) so I thought I'd mention this. Ima good person for a friend, but Ima crappy coach. I basicly just wanna play poker and hang out. Everything else i have to do, bills, fix crap, etc, I put off as long as possible. Coaching duties fall under that catagory.

I will give 2 references to prove my worth:

My brother sent me 3 hh's to review over a year ago. Aint quite got to it yet.

I told skipperbob I'd help him some (free, I know myself too well to charge) and made it through about 5 hh's before I just never got to the next one.

I'm pretty good about answering questions (crap, except one from last month, sorry ALReturnsLOL [img]/images/graemlins/frown.gif[/img]) or anything else I can do to help that takes into account the fact that i'm generally lazy and procrastinate horribly.

Steve

Kevin8423 08-20-2007 02:30 PM

I'd probably be down to coach someone if anyone would want my coaching, since I'll only be playing poker this year I'll have a lot more time.

pifhluk 08-20-2007 04:51 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I'd probably be down to coach someone if anyone would want my coaching, since I'll only be playing poker this year I'll have a lot more time.

[/ QUOTE ]

so youre pulling the ole college kid good at poker drop out move?

Jackal69 08-20-2007 05:15 PM

i can offer SNG coaching if anyones interested... pm.

TruFloridaGator 08-20-2007 05:42 PM

[ QUOTE ]
you should prolly post a game record for to get ppl interested in your coaching.

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't think that's really needed. People can have it if they ask, though.

skipperbob 08-20-2007 06:05 PM

[ QUOTE ]
a couple people have asked (I know, stop laughing) so I thought I'd mention this. Ima good person for a friend, but Ima crappy coach. I basicly just wanna play poker and hang out. Everything else i have to do, bills, fix crap, etc, I put off as long as possible. Coaching duties fall under that catagory.

I will give 2 references to prove my worth:

My brother sent me 3 hh's to review over a year ago. Aint quite got to it yet.

I told skipperbob I'd help him some (free, I know myself too well to charge) and made it through about 5 hh's before I just never got to the next one.

I'm pretty good about answering questions (crap, except one from last month, sorry ALReturnsLOL [img]/images/graemlins/frown.gif[/img]) or anything else I can do to help that takes into account the fact that i'm generally lazy and procrastinate horribly.
Steve

[/ QUOTE ]

If I woulda paid you $$$$, you woulda just blown it on scrippas and donkey-propbets like Bones did with the $30K I paid him [img]/images/graemlins/frown.gif[/img]