Two Plus Two Newer Archives

Two Plus Two Newer Archives (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/index.php)
-   News, Views, and Gossip (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/forumdisplay.php?f=31)
-   -   Wil Wheaton no longer on "Team Pokerstars" (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/showthread.php?t=433271)

JustASpectator 06-22-2007 08:22 AM

Wil Wheaton no longer on \"Team Pokerstars\"

http://www.pokerstars.com/team-pokerstars/

Seemed like he didn't belong on team PS in the first place.

Chunky 06-22-2007 08:58 AM

Re: Wil Wheaton no longer on \"Team Pokerstars\"

Wil's take on it:
http://wilwheaton.typepad.com/wwdnba...g_and_tha.html

badblood44 06-22-2007 09:19 AM

If you read the comments on Wil's take, you'll realize that both Dan Goldman and Lee Jones thought he belonged.

strongsauce 06-22-2007 09:21 AM

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vihd8XKrsyQ (not rickroll)

isapistola 06-22-2007 09:59 AM

quote from his blog:
[ QUOTE ]
I'm not a tournament winner or a major celebrity, or a professional player.

[/ QUOTE ]
so wtf was he a part of team pokerstars?

Daddy Warbucks 06-22-2007 10:07 AM

Because he was a well spoken recreational player with a familiar face? Seems like a good person to have on a promotional team.

Ontario_Tory 06-22-2007 10:13 AM

"I will miss being the unofficial ambassador to the low rollers."

As a low limit donk, I have time for people with this kind of attitude... He was there for a good time, to be a spokesperson, and to write about poker. & he did it well.

No illusions that he's a pro / stellar player - kinda like me - playing for fun.

GL Wil...

OT

oober 06-22-2007 10:18 AM

That's too bad. GL Wil!!!!

suzzer99 06-22-2007 10:28 AM

He lurks on this site (sn=Wil). I played a 180-man $22 with him one time and he came and found me here the next day. Super nice guy.

AJackson 06-22-2007 10:33 AM

I always thought he was kind of the odd man out when it came to PS representatives, but I felt it was a good thing as he represented a large section of serious but non-professional players. PS probably felt they weren't getting enough return on their investment as he's not the type to attract cameras or other attention, but for some reason I think PS is poorer without his inclusion.

Phresh 06-22-2007 10:37 AM

Victor Ramdin could be replaced with an inanimate object and nobody would notice.

Chump Change 06-22-2007 10:45 AM

LOL WILLIAM CHEN

LOL

ifoughtpiranhas 06-22-2007 10:50 AM

they had to get rid of him so they can afford Daniel N.

Kneel B4 Zod 06-22-2007 10:52 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Victor Ramdin could be replaced an inanimate object and nobody would notice.

[/ QUOTE ]

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedi...(Simpsons).jpg

ifoughtpiranhas 06-22-2007 10:57 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Victor Ramdin could be replaced an inanimate object and nobody would notice.

[/ QUOTE ]

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedi...(Simpsons).jpg

[/ QUOTE ]

roflmao

CincyLady 06-22-2007 11:11 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I always thought he was kind of the odd man out when it came to PS representatives, but I felt it was a good thing as he represented a large section of serious but non-professional players. PS probably felt they weren't getting enough return on their investment as he's not the type to attract cameras or other attention, but for some reason I think PS is poorer without his inclusion.

[/ QUOTE ]

I agree, plus his website gets a ton of readers, and he mentioned PS many times there. I know a lot of people signed up for PS because of him, and I think this is a bad choice that PS is making, cutting him from their team.

BoughtMyPoints 06-22-2007 11:12 AM

I played FT of a 10 cent donkament with him on PS (which he won!) and his presence and grace really made it a special occasion.

Regrettably, too many of the railbirds were just plain abusive.

I think they prefer a degen to look up to.

SpaceJanitor 06-22-2007 11:12 AM

Pokerstars should have chosen Shatner instead of Wheaton in the first place. [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]

CincyLady 06-22-2007 11:15 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Pokerstars should have chosen Shatner instead of Wheaton in the first place. [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]

[/ QUOTE ]

You're kidding right? As much as I like Bill (as I'm old enough to remember the original series back with it was airing as an original show), Wil can play circles around him!

Did you see Bill Shatner on the WPT Celeb events a few years back?

Bill had a low PP before the flop, then gets Quads on the flop (with I think a face card showing) ... and BETS them big (too big to allow for a call) instead of checking or betting very small, and then letting the other (more) agressive players do his betting for him!

SpaceJanitor 06-22-2007 11:21 AM

[ QUOTE ]
You're kidding right?

[/ QUOTE ]

Yes I am, I didn't even know that Shatner had ever played poker in his life. But he would have been a bigger celebrity than Wil. [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]

I played low limit HORSE with Wheaton a couple times on Pokerstars and have been reading his blog more or less regularly for years - he's a nice, cool guy and I wish him only success, he doesn't need Pokerstars.

CincyLady 06-22-2007 12:48 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
You're kidding right?

[/ QUOTE ]

Yes I am, I didn't even know that Shatner had ever played poker in his life. But he would have been a bigger celebrity than Wil. [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]

I played low limit HORSE with Wheaton a couple times on Pokerstars and have been reading his blog more or less regularly for years - he's a nice, cool guy and I wish him only success, he doesn't need Pokerstars.

[/ QUOTE ]

Well,, Bill might be more of a Celeb with people my age, but like you said Wil is a nice kid (lol .. to me anyone under the age of 35 is a kid), and he's got his stuff together for sure.

El Chupacabra 06-22-2007 12:57 PM

Sign Norm Macdonald now plz. The guy's hilarious and not too shabby on the felt.

Kneel B4 Zod 06-22-2007 01:04 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Sign Norm Macdonald now plz. The guy's hilarious and not too shabby on the felt.

[/ QUOTE ]

I met him at the wsop last year. he was nice and pretty weird.

El Chupacabra 06-22-2007 01:10 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I met him at the wsop last year. he was nice and pretty weird.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah his oddness is part of what makes him funny. I miss his weekend updates on SNL.

mingorama 06-22-2007 01:12 PM

Never got anything meaningful from Wheaton. Nice guy, but I'd wager he's not even a winning cash player.

GiantWalleye 06-22-2007 01:33 PM

[ QUOTE ]
they had to get rid of him so they can afford Daniel N.

[/ QUOTE ]

Afford, LOL, because pokerstars is short on money huh?

dwatts1350 06-22-2007 01:44 PM

Never heard of him =\

WutRUTryin2Hit 06-22-2007 01:54 PM

Chupacabra, look up Norm MacDonald's final weekend update, the one that put the nail in his coffin or whatever, it's online somewhere, so hilarious. All of his were of course.

I always thought Wil didn't belong on Team Pokerstars, but neither do a bunch of other people on there. But as much as Humberto and Isabelle Mercier and Vanessa Rousso are lame, I'm sure they do at least get a lot of airtime for Pokerstars.

Whoever suggested William Shatner, I mean come on, do you think he is the kind of guy to just sell out and do some promotional thing like this anytime someone offers him money?? (haha).

JustASpectator 06-22-2007 02:00 PM

[ QUOTE ]
http://www.pokerstars.com/team-pokerstars/

Seemed like he didn't belong on team PS in the first place.

[/ QUOTE ]

Ok, my wording sounds a bit harsh. A better way of phrasing what I meant was that he seemed out of place.

omgitsmatt 06-22-2007 02:00 PM

This sucks. I really think they're losing out on it ... I've played a few of those super-low-limit tourneys (a $10 HORSE tourney, I think) and it was a ton of fun and he was really cool, especially with regards to being a kind of (admittedly minor) celebrity playing with a bunch of low stakes donkeys.

I seriously think they should bring him back. FFS drop Vanessa Rousso and bring back Wil. My only impression of Rousso has been from NVG and she sounds, from what I've seen here, like a total douchebag. Doesn't look good for stars imo -- I'd rather have Wil for sure.

jimmytrick 06-22-2007 02:11 PM

I want to email Stars a compliant about this because Wil was my favorite can someone tell me their address?

Your Mom 06-22-2007 02:11 PM

don't know who Wil is, but he seems like a class act from his blog post.

Phanekim 06-22-2007 02:44 PM

I've played with him myself. A little tightish...but decent player and very nice guy.

augie_ 06-22-2007 02:45 PM

paging james woods

Poker Clif 06-22-2007 02:46 PM

[ QUOTE ]
This sucks. I really think they're losing out on it ... I've played a few of those super-low-limit tourneys (a $10 HORSE tourney, I think) and it was a ton of fun and he was really cool, especially with regards to being a kind of (admittedly minor) celebrity playing with a bunch of low stakes donkeys.

I seriously think they should bring him back. FFS drop Vanessa Rousso and bring back Wil. My only impression of Rousso has been from NVG and she sounds, from what I've seen here, like a total douchebag. Doesn't look good for stars imo -- I'd rather have Wil for sure.

[/ QUOTE ]

Well, I think we all know what's going on with Vanessa and many of the other Team PokerStars players. Let's just say that most of them are on the young and attractive side.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I think the only over-40 female that has any kind of site affiliation is Jennifer Harmon.

Now THERE is someone who could be great at promoting this game. She is one of the top players, and in my irrelevant, over-40 opinion, very attractive.

Not only that, she played right up until surviving a kidney transplant and came back better than ever.

She's a great player, a great story, and a perfect ambassador for poker!

SpaceJanitor 06-22-2007 02:49 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

He's best known for playing one of the kids in the Stephen King-movie "Stand by Me" (with River Phoenix) and much hated Wesley Crusher in Star Trek: TNG, since then he has been writing a popular blog, other stuff online and a couple books. He got the spot on Team Pokerstars mainly because so many people read his blog, and he occasionally wrote about poker there.

RavenJackson 06-22-2007 02:51 PM

FWIW, I thought Wil was an excellent representative for those of us who enjoy low limit poker as a hobby. Wil is also a self-proclaimed "geek" and an excellent writer. His contributions to the Pokerstars blog during last year's WSOP were excellent. Wil was also instrumental in Pokerstar's fundraising efforts for Katrina.

I think PS made the wrong decision; however, Wil seems to be taking it well. I

Poker Clif 06-22-2007 02:53 PM

[ QUOTE ]
paging james woods

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't know. Did Wil Wheaton ever muck his pocket threes at showdown because one of the other players said he had a pair (which turned out to be pocket twos)?

CincyLady 06-22-2007 03:34 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Your kidding right? He was that kid who played Gordie Lachance, in Stand by me, and Wesley Crusher from Star Trek!

http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0000696/

Mephisto28 06-22-2007 04:17 PM

[ QUOTE ]

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I think the only over-40 female that has any kind of site affiliation is Jennifer Harmon.

[/ QUOTE ]

Katja Thater is a member of team Pokerstars and over 40.