Two Plus Two Newer Archives

Two Plus Two Newer Archives (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/index.php)
-   Golf (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/forumdisplay.php?f=95)
-   -   What makes this illegal for the pros? (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/showthread.php?t=431675)

RacersEdge 06-20-2007 11:55 AM

What makes this illegal for the pros?

Suppose a playeer's caddy received a text message from someone watching a golf tournament - either on TV or live - that would give the player some information about his upcoming putt. What prevents this from happening? Is it the "advice rule"?

ghostface 06-20-2007 12:23 PM

Re: What makes this illegal for the pros?

yeah its happened before and now cell phones are banned from players bags.

jupiterpig 06-20-2007 12:29 PM

another thing i didn't realize was legal was smoking on the course. With a game that requires such etiquette you would think that smoking would be banned, especially during tournament, more specifically major tournaments!! I saw Angel doing it at the US Open and did not realize it was allowed. Also i thought it was funny how he flicked the butt onto the course as he walked up to 17 i think...so i guess it is not against the rules to smoke, but i never knew otherwise

JackInDaCrak 06-20-2007 12:43 PM

Daly smokes like 3 packs a round.

billygrippo 06-20-2007 05:56 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

he also plays roulette on each odd numbered hole

JackInDaCrak 06-20-2007 06:30 PM

acutally he has a roulette wheel on his bag.

/truestory

Ron Burgundy 06-20-2007 07:54 PM

The Mike Springer Rule

BadBoyBenny 06-20-2007 09:14 PM

[ QUOTE ]
another thing i didn't realize was legal was smoking on the course. With a game that requires such etiquette you would think that smoking would be banned, especially during tournament, more specifically major tournaments!! I saw Angel doing it at the US Open and did not realize it was allowed. Also i thought it was funny how he flicked the butt onto the course as he walked up to 17 i think...so i guess it is not against the rules to smoke, but i never knew otherwise

[/ QUOTE ]

Have you ever been to a golf course? Every time I play half the people on the course have cigars. However, I do agree that it's bad form to litter on the course.

jupiterpig 06-20-2007 09:37 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Have you ever been to a golf course? Every time I play half the people on the course have cigars. However, I do agree that it's bad form to litter on the course.

[/ QUOTE ]

Im not that dumb...i know smoking is allowed on a normal course, i was referring to a PGA event...

ghostface 06-21-2007 09:35 AM

Darren Clarke is well known for smoking cigars on the course all round long.

CrazyEyez 06-21-2007 12:01 PM

Do players who have late tee times ever watch the TV coverage to get a feel for the greens? Like see how putts are breaking from spots they are likely to hit to.

TripleH68 06-21-2007 01:00 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Do players who have late tee times ever watch the TV coverage to get a feel for the greens? Like see how putts are breaking from spots they are likely to hit to.

[/ QUOTE ]

This is a great question. The one that always sticks with me is when an announcer who has been stationed all day at the 15th green says "every player has missed this one to the right. It just doesn't break as much as they think it will." If you could just get that info somehow...

JTrout 06-21-2007 01:17 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

They often do in the majors.

RacersEdge 06-21-2007 01:39 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

This is a great question. The one that always sticks with me is when an announcer who has been stationed all day at the 15th green says "every player has missed this one to the right. It just doesn't break as much as they think it will." If you could just get that info somehow...

[/ QUOTE ]

Yep, that's exactly what triggered this thread because there was one hole on the back 9 Sunday where every player was not playing enough break on a particular putt - and everyone on the NBC broadcast knew it - but the guy putting was clueless..

JJSCOTT2 06-21-2007 02:00 PM

FWIW, Daly always keeps his butts or throws them away, at least whenever I've seen him on TV, I was kinda surprised to see Cabrera throw that cigarette on the ground but I'll give him the benefit of the doubt and say that he wouldn't when thinking clearly. I sometimes smoke on the course and always take my butts with me if I remember but sometimes forget and just chuck it because it's like ingrained in my muscle memory.

cardsharkk04 06-21-2007 06:42 PM

Can players drink during PGA events?

vikefan24 06-21-2007 10:30 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Can players drink during PGA events?

[/ QUOTE ]

I would guess no, but that is a good question.

BadBoyBenny 06-21-2007 11:05 PM

In something like the US Open, a USGA event, I imagine they could. The tour might be different. I think it would be awesome to see one of the leaders taking shots on the 67th hole at Carnoustie.

Bakes 06-22-2007 11:02 AM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

lol qft, i caddied for my stepdad (kelloggs bigwig) in the buick pro-am a couple years back. daly went through a pack of reds from the wrapper and still managed to fit in the big stogies that the Kellogg's execs picked up b4 the 10th (the turn???) Anyway, Daly is the man.

wiper 06-22-2007 01:26 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I sometimes smoke on the course and always take my butts with me if I remember but sometimes forget and just chuck it because it's like ingrained in my muscle memory.

[/ QUOTE ]

me too...generally i find some rough. though if i'm in the middle of the fairway, i'm probably not walking over to the rough..

David H 06-22-2007 03:46 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Daly always keeps his butts or throws them away

[/ QUOTE ]
Intriguing.

benza13 06-23-2007 06:00 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

lol qft, i caddied for my stepdad (kelloggs bigwig) in the buick pro-am a couple years back. daly went through a pack of reds from the wrapper and still managed to fit in the big stogies that the Kellogg's execs picked up b4 the 10th (the turn???) Anyway, Daly is the man.

[/ QUOTE ]

I went to a charity pro-am years ago with my Dad and we followed Daly for a while. He was drinking a can of Diet Coke every hole and a half and smoking cigs much quicker than that.