Two Plus Two Newer Archives

Two Plus Two Newer Archives (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/index.php)
-   EDF (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/forumdisplay.php?f=81)
-   -   I am not trim (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/showthread.php?t=430935)

Clarkmeister 06-19-2007 02:07 PM

I am not trim

Getting a phyiscal right now. 6'4" and 182.9 lbs. Just tested out at a not-so-healthy 33% body fat. I am the fattest skinny man evah.

Hellmouth 06-19-2007 02:10 PM

Re: I am not trim

[ QUOTE ]
Getting a phyiscal right now. 6'4" and 182.9 lbs. Just tested out at a not-so-healthy 33% body fat. I am the fattest skinny man evah!

[/ QUOTE ]

Did you have your bones removed? How is this possible? Why is this important?

Hellmouth 06-19-2007 02:36 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Getting a phyiscal right now. 6'4" and 182.9 lbs. Just tested out at a not-so-healthy 33% body fat. I am the fattest skinny man evah!

[/ QUOTE ]

Did you have your bones removed? How is this possible? Why is this important?

[/ QUOTE ]

Then again I also suck at poker. Maybe I should also have some bones removed. This is coming from a guy who is 5'10 and weighs 205.

Greg

Mingdu 06-19-2007 02:55 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Getting a phyiscal right now. 6'4" and 182.9 lbs. Just tested out at a not-so-healthy 33% body fat. I am the fattest skinny man evah.

[/ QUOTE ]

33% ... how is that possible???!!!??

so at 15% body fat you would weigh 150 lbs? at 6foot4?

Dude ... you're like a mini manute bol

private joker 06-19-2007 03:04 PM

Eat more protein, and more often. Cut out rice, pasta, and other breads/starches from your diet, and replace them with vegetables and fats (like olives, nuts, etc.). Over time you should convert that protein into muscle, and speed up your metabolism enough to burn off the body fat.

(Obviously working out helps, but you know that).

XXXNoahXXX 06-19-2007 03:13 PM

http://forumserver.twoplustwo.com/po...p;Board=health

Clarkmeister 06-19-2007 03:16 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Eat more protein, and more often. Cut out rice, pasta, and other breads/starches from your diet, and replace them with vegetables and fats (like olives, nuts, etc.). Over time you should convert that protein into muscle, and speed up your metabolism enough to burn off the body fat.

(Obviously working out helps, but you know that).

[/ QUOTE ]

I will start working out way before I cut out carbs. Pasta isn't just a tasty food, it's a way of life.

El Diablo 06-19-2007 03:19 PM

Clark,

Skinny fat sucks. Time to spend some time at the gym instead of at the tables. Would be a tragedy if you had to stop eating all those Delmonico's dinners.

The Health & Fitness forum Noah linked to has some good stuff.

If you or anyone have basic getting in shape questions, feel free to post them over there or in this thread.

Mike Gallo 06-19-2007 03:20 PM

Clark,

http://www.scientificpsychic.com/fitness/weight.html

According to the information you gave, your listed as having normal weight.

Did they use these
http://ww1.betterbodz.com/mas_assets/full/EU290004.jpg

On Chest: a diagonal fold taken midway between the nipple and the crease of the under arm mm
Suprailiac: a diagonal fold taken midway between the hip joint and the bottom of the rib cage. Hint: place forefinger on hip bone, thumb at the bottom of the rib cage, then draw fingers together to the mid-point and pinch for suprailiac mm
Abdomen: a vertical fold taken one inch to the side of the umbilicus (belly button) mm
Thigh: a vertical fold taken halfway between the knee joint and the hip joint mm
Triceps: a vertical fold taken halfway between the elbow joint and the shoulder joint

Clarkmeister 06-19-2007 03:21 PM

[ QUOTE ]

so at 15% body fat you would weigh 150 lbs? at 6foot4?

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't think it quite works like that.

Aloysius 06-19-2007 03:24 PM

lol

Clark - I want to see your combine numbers. I bet even Durant blows you out of the water.

-Al

Clarkmeister 06-19-2007 03:25 PM

I got in a pod that looks like something out of Alien, and they did an air test, twice. I'm at the Mayo Clinic, so I'm pretty sure they number is accurate.

A quick search found this:

[ QUOTE ]
Bod Pod
This test uses the same principle as hydrostatic weighing but without water. The client climbs into a large "pod" for 50 seconds, and sensors measure body fat by using air displacement, according to Cory Schidler, owner of LFP Personal Training in Scottsdale. The test is usually administered twice, he says.

Advantages: The test is accurate, painless and fast.

Disadvantages: Must be done at a location with a Bod Pod.

http://www.sportsmedfitnessctr.com/i...Pod%2025bp.JPG

[/ QUOTE ]

econophile 06-19-2007 03:26 PM

How did the dr. estimate your body fat? According to wiki, there are several methods of varying accuracy.

edit: crosspost

Clarkmeister 06-19-2007 03:27 PM

[ QUOTE ]
lol

Clark - I want to see your combine numbers. I bet even Durant blows you out of the water.

-Al

[/ QUOTE ]

No doubt.

Good news though! I lasted exactly on the average time on the treadmill/stress test for someone who is my age and works out. Given that I don't work out, I view that as a victory!

Austiger 06-19-2007 03:30 PM

I am ~5-10 155 lbs. My last physical my doctor said my triglycerides were way too high and he wanted to put me on pills (I'm 36 and skinny WTF!?) I convinced him to let me try changing my diet for 3 months and then I'd take the blood tests again. 3 months passed and I ignored the message from his office to come back in last month. I had Shrimp Lo Mein from PF Chang's for lunch today. I'm [censored]. Advice? (other than start excercising, which I plan to do, and stop eating Chinese.)

spider 06-19-2007 03:53 PM

It's so easy for long-framed folks to fall into the skinny-fat trap (happened to me). But the belly doesn't lie.

Dids 06-19-2007 04:10 PM

Clark,

One thing to do with Carbs is just to isolate them in the morning/afternoon. I try to only do carbs for breakfast and lunch, and then a veg heavy dinner.

That said, I wouldn't think your problem is too much fat as much as it's a lack of muscle. Protein shakes, working out, etc.

ImsaKidd 06-19-2007 04:14 PM

I really have a hard time believing the 33% figure. I would try a different test.

33% isnt even on the scale for men.

http://www.healthchecksystems.com/bodyfat.htm

Clarkmeister 06-19-2007 05:21 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Clark,

One thing to do with Carbs is just to isolate them in the morning/afternoon. I try to only do carbs for breakfast and lunch, and then a veg heavy dinner.

That said, I wouldn't think your problem is too much fat as much as it's a lack of muscle. Protein shakes, working out, etc.

[/ QUOTE ]

I tend to eat small/no breakfast, massive carbed up lunch, and only eat more than a bowl of cereal for dinner 3-4 nights a week.

Got my bloodwork and fortunately in good shape on all the vitals there. Seems to be more of an exercise issue than diet issue. Which is good. I'd rather work out than eat less yummy bread, cheese and pasta.

El Diablo 06-19-2007 06:15 PM

Clarky,

"I tend to eat small/no breakfast, massive carbed up lunch, and only eat more than a bowl of cereal for dinner 3-4 nights a week."

Horrible. Time to get you on a plan. You're getting old and it's only gonna get worse for you from here. Keep this up and pipedream will be able to kick your ass soon enough.

Clarkmeister 06-19-2007 06:17 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Clarky,

"I tend to eat small/no breakfast, massive carbed up lunch, and only eat more than a bowl of cereal for dinner 3-4 nights a week."

Horrible. Time to get you on a plan. You're getting old and it's only gonna get worse for you from here. Keep this up and pipedream will be able to kick your ass soon enough.

[/ QUOTE ]

Dude, my bloodwork vitals rocked. I just need to not be such a slouch. I interpret the bloodwork info as validation of the anti-atkins diet!

Dids 06-19-2007 06:28 PM

Clark,

Eating a good breakfast was one of the giant catalyst for me losing weight. You will feel better if you do it regardless of how you feel now.

Golden_Rhino 06-19-2007 06:59 PM

Man, I am 6'4, 300 lbs and I am 'only' at 24% body fat. You must have absolutely no muscle mass.

ArturiusX 06-19-2007 07:12 PM

Jesus, I'm 6"5 and 240lb. But I'm only 13% body fat [img]/images/graemlins/cool.gif[/img]

shane88888 06-20-2007 08:07 PM

182.9 lbs @ 33% body fat = 122.5 lbs lean mass

At a fit 15% body fat, that's around 140 lbs.

At 6'4", I really don't believe that's possible. I'd have another analysis done.

Personally, I'm 6'5", 232 lbs @ 20%.

wpr101 06-20-2007 08:39 PM

The number you stated is not believable.

I'm 5'8" and about 195 pounds and probably around 15% body fat... although I do have a fair amount of muscle.

Clarkmeister 06-20-2007 11:58 PM

Agreed re: believability.

He said my target should be 155-165 based on the calc. He relented to 170 when I pressed the point that if I worked out some of the fat would necessarily be replaced with muscle. I would buy into the idea that I could be between 170-175 if I were in decent shape.

GuyOnTilt 06-21-2007 12:02 AM

I simply cannot believe 33%.

Clarkmeister 06-21-2007 12:11 AM

FWIW, Gonores set an o/u of 31% and my Dad set a line of 29%. I don't have an issue with the test. I am tall and hide my softness well just because I look so damn scrawny.

captZEEbo 06-21-2007 02:38 AM

how does everyone know their BMI?

EL Burro Loco 06-21-2007 03:31 AM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

We received physicals at my job for our new health program and a friend of mine who weighs 160 or so was 26% body fat even though he looks really thin. It seemed ridiculous to the point that i theorized that his organs must have been replaced by body fat shaped organs. In reality he just eats 70% of his meals from either fast food restaurants or 7-11 and drinks insane amounts of regular soda and sugar filled energy drinks. It lends some credence to the claim that some people were just meant to be skinny and others have to work really, really, hard to to be a normal weight.

dylan's alias 06-21-2007 08:45 AM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

http://www.cdc.gov/nccdphp/dnpa/bmi/...calculator.htm

ArturiusX 06-21-2007 10:13 AM

BMI places me in the grossly overweight category. Yeah, right.

XXXNoahXXX 06-21-2007 10:34 AM

[ QUOTE ]
BMI places me in the grossly overweight category. Yeah, right.

[/ QUOTE ]

According to BMI I am overweight, and closer to obese than normal weight.

And yet I have a near-six pack. This is why BMI is worthless for people that actually work out.

I'm 6'3" and according to BMI, I'd still be in the normal weight range if I weighed 148.

So apparently I could stand to lose about 70 lbs. without being underweight?

RERAISE5823 06-21-2007 01:45 PM

Don't worry Clark, I weigh more than you and am nearly a foot shorter.....well ok I also have 7% bf HAHHAHAHAHAAA!!!!

captZEEbo 06-21-2007 06:55 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]aren't these just ballparks though and not applicable b/c I think I might have a similar situation to clark (really tall and slightly chubby, but much less muscle than average)

TxRedMan 06-21-2007 08:39 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]aren't these just ballparks though and not applicable b/c I think I might have a similar situation to clark (really tall and slightly chubby, but much less muscle than average)

[/ QUOTE ]

LMAO, if you put in 6'0 137 LBS it tells you you're normal weight and BMI.

6'0 and 137 LBS is ridiculously skinny.

shane88888 06-21-2007 09:45 PM

BMI is entirely different than body fat percentage, and is pretty much useless.

To measure body fat, I use calipers, which you can get at any GNC or (better) off the internet. I also use a body composition scale, which any home goods store (Bed Bath & Beyond) carries for $50-$100. These are actually pretty accurate until you get seriously cut, easy/fast to use, and good for tracking trends.

Waist to hip ratio is actually a good indicator of health, since abdominal fat correlates to health risk far better than BMI. Just measure your waist (at the navel) and your hips (at the widest point, at your rear end). You want 0.92 or lower. Belly fat = bad.

Big Poppa Smurf 06-21-2007 10:07 PM

Clark,

do little girls ever beat you up?

Clarkmeister 06-21-2007 11:42 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Don't worry Clark, I weigh more than you and am nearly a foot shorter.....well ok I also have 7% bf HAHHAHAHAHAAA!!!!

[/ QUOTE ]

Being that short is no laughing matter.