Two Plus Two Newer Archives

Two Plus Two Newer Archives (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/index.php)
-   Tournament Circuit/WSOP (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/forumdisplay.php?f=67)
-   -   getting autographs at wsop (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/showthread.php?t=429721)

rontime 06-17-2007 11:02 PM

getting autographs at wsop

Where would be the best place to get them.

Rootabager 06-17-2007 11:04 PM

Re: getting autographs at wsop

during an all in.

LocustHorde 06-17-2007 11:06 PM

at the Rio during breaks. I saw a family get their picture taken with Jesus (Chris Ferguson, not the second coming). He seemed like a really nice guy.

There's lots of famous players at the Bellagio, but I'm not sure that would be such a good idea, but maybe you could follow them out to the bathroom when they go on a pee break

bav 06-17-2007 11:24 PM

DO NOT go into the tourney area and bug players at the tables. Don't bug 'em at the cash games, either, please.

When you find 'em in the hallways or hanging around in the aisles or in the hospitality suites, most of 'em seem very friendly. And the BEST time to catch 'em is on a smoke break (for those with that nasty habit). Don't be offended if they decline to participate, though, just move along.

Obviously the most fun place to ask for an autograph is while peeing next to 'em. Just ask 'em to sign your 11th digit.

youtalkfunny 06-18-2007 02:43 AM

[ QUOTE ]
When you find 'em in the hallways or hanging around in the aisles or in the hospitality suites, remind yourself that only an annoying nerd would bother a person because "I saw you on tv!" Better to just move along.

[/ QUOTE ]

You know what it's like to be accosted by an aggressive panhandler? You keep giving him one-word answers, and trying to move away from him, but he won't leave you alone?

Now imagine that EVERYONE IN THE WORLD is that aggressively annoying flea who's trying to get something from you. That's what it's like for these tv poker players.

You're above that. You don't need to descend to the level of a panhandler. Leave those people alone.

SpleenLSD 06-18-2007 02:48 AM

Wait until the final table, especially heads-up.

RR 06-18-2007 03:58 AM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

This reminded me of the most annoying player I have ever met. He busted out of a satellite and then came up to the ropes I hiad around the final table and was trying to tell bad beat stories to the players at the final table. I had to ask him to leave.

Lord_Strife 06-18-2007 04:04 AM

Get in good with the dealers and have one of them get it for you at the table

MicroBob 06-18-2007 04:31 AM

Mostly agree with YTF's sentiment.

RR - Wow. That's amazing.

In 2005 playing at same table as Johnny Chan in main-event he had to deal with autograph seekers during breaks when he was just trying to chill and, you know, be on his break.

I met some guy who was wearing a white ball-cap that was signed in black sharpie pen by every main-event champion he could find. He had gotten every living champ except for a couple I think.
He looked ridiculous and I thought it was pathetic. Although he seemed to think it was incredibly cool and was bragging about it quite a bit.

When I first showed up at the WSOP to register in 2005 John Juanda was walking out with a bunch of others on their break in some prelim event.
Some kids who were about 14 or so who obviously recognized him from TV came running up to him to get his autograph and he was, as expected, perfectly classy and stopped and talked with them for a little bit.

The kids obviously weren't asllowed to go into the playing-room so the fact that they came all the way down to the registration area indicates just how much they wanted to get an eyeful of a famous player or two and I think Juanda realized that.

bav 06-18-2007 06:20 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
When you find 'em in the hallways or hanging around in the aisles or in the hospitality suites, remind yourself that only an annoying nerd would bother a person because "I saw you on tv!" Better to just move along.

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
When someone asks how and where to best go about getting autographs, saying "don't" isn't really very helpful. You don't understand the mentality of the autograph hounds. I don't either, but I can concede that they exist and WILL try to get their scraps of history. So better to provide useful advice.

I also have seen Scotty Nguyen's eyes light up when someone asks him to sign their hat and pose for a picture. He was actually just out in the hall a couple years ago trying to grab a smoke during a tournament, apparently trying to suck one down quick and get back to the table, but he seemed genuinely tickled to have a husband+wife acknowledge and fawn over him. So for some folks it may be an imposition, but for others it's almost what they live for.

Common sense applies. When you see 'em walking fast for the restroom, let 'em go. Don't be like the chick who chased Johnny Chan INTO the men's room and then came out sputtering and indignant because "he was really rude to me". When you see 'em just standing around holding up a wall, or hanging out in the FullTilt room with a beer, you can give it a shot.

TMTTR 06-18-2007 10:52 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Where would be the best place to get them.

[/ QUOTE ]

On a check made out to you.

Cactus Jack 06-18-2007 11:03 AM

I follow the Bill Russell philosophy. When asked for an autograph, he would say, "no, but I'll shake your hand." I've shaken a lot of hands, but have no signatures. It lets both of us keep our dignity.

5_year_old_bully 06-18-2007 11:08 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I follow the Bill Russell philosophy. When asked for an autograph, he would say, "no, but I'll shake your hand." I've shaken a lot of hands, but have no signatures. It lets both of us keep our dignity.

[/ QUOTE ]

Wait, who are you? why would anyone want your autograph? can I shake your hand?

[Phill] 06-18-2007 11:20 AM

5 Year old,

I think everything following "say," can be attributed to Bill Russell, unless CJ comes back and disagrees.

I never got people who autograph hunt, but each to their own - just dont be too insistant i guess - its like if you go to a football game, you dont ask for the autograph during the match, you do it either side, or at half time, but you never chase them down for it because whilst that autograph might be important to you it wont be for the pro in question.

iron81 06-18-2007 11:55 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I met some guy who was wearing a white ball-cap that was signed in black sharpie pen by every main-event champion he could find. He had gotten every living champ except for a couple I think.

[/ QUOTE ]
I'm not an autograph person, but this is kind of cool.

BK1248 06-18-2007 12:32 PM

when i give autographs at foxwoods i am kinda flattered, i will give them during cash or tournament play, but im an easy going person

Yaboosh 06-18-2007 01:14 PM

I trust that those bashing those interested in autographs from poker players also feel the same way about getting autographs from football and baseball players and such?

Cornell Fiji 06-18-2007 02:21 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I trust that those bashing those interested in autographs from poker players also feel the same way about getting autographs from football and baseball players and such?

[/ QUOTE ]

I think wanting a poker players autograph is pretty weird but I don't feel the same way about athletes.

This might have something to do with the fact that I can play on a TV poker tournament and I can make a final table but athletes to have talent that I could never achieve. Either way I am just not awed by poker players like I am by top athletes

Hopey 06-18-2007 02:51 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I've never understood the allure of wanting an autograph from a sports figure or celebrity. It would never even occur to me to ask for one from a poker player.

Takedown 06-18-2007 02:54 PM

I'm involved in an up and coming sport and play on a professional team. We've recently got some TV coverage and been holding events in well publisized locations. With that comes a lot of kids looking to get autographs from the top players of the sport. After playing for 12 years, I can tell you it's a pretty cool feeling to finally be recognized for the hard work and dedication that I put in. I don't live for people asking for my autograph, but it is pretty cool to see that other people do care. It's difficult to do signings when you just lost a major game, but it comes with the territory. That is quickly made up for when you win an event and all the kids rush to get you to sign their shirt, hat, jersey, etc.

I imagine that the majority of the poker pros out there feel the same way. I'm sure they feel good that their sport of choice is finally accepted by the masses. They are finally being acknowledged as great players and appreciate the support of the fans. At some point tournaments will have overlays because of all of the outside sponsorship involvement, and the reason that will happen is because of the fans that enjoy the game. The pros will then see returns from the fans and supporters of poker. In the mean time they'll continue making money on their books and merchandise which again is supported by the fans and amateur players.

What I suggest companies like Full Tilt and Poker Stars do is having a booth at the events, and have a time when all of their pros at the event will be there for signings. You then get most of the signing out of the way at a designated time. This is what we do at events, and it goes over pretty well.

The more accessible the pros are the better for Poker.

-Ron

Bdidd 06-18-2007 03:02 PM

Ok, i'll bite.

What sport is it?

Cornell Fiji 06-18-2007 03:07 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I'm involved in an up and coming sport and play on a professional team. We've recently got some TV coverage and been holding events in well publisized locations. With that comes a lot of kids looking to get autographs from the top players of the sport. After playing for 12 years, I can tell you it's a pretty cool feeling to finally be recognized for the hard work and dedication that I put in. I don't live for people asking for my autograph, but it is pretty cool to see that other people do care. It's difficult to do signings when you just lost a major game, but it comes with the territory. That is quickly made up for when you win an event and all the kids rush to get you to sign their shirt, hat, jersey, etc.

I imagine that the majority of the poker pros out there feel the same way. I'm sure they feel good that their sport of choice is finally accepted by the masses. They are finally being acknowledged as great players and appreciate the support of the fans. At some point tournaments will have overlays because of all of the outside sponsorship involvement, and the reason that will happen is because of the fans that enjoy the game. The pros will then see returns from the fans and supporters of poker. In the mean time they'll continue making money on their books and merchandise which again is supported by the fans and amateur players.

What I suggest companies like Full Tilt and Poker Stars do is having a booth at the events, and have a time when all of their pros at the event will be there for signings. You then get most of the signing out of the way at a designated time. This is what we do at events, and it goes over pretty well.

The more accessible the pros are the better for Poker.

-Ron

[/ QUOTE ]

Ron,
Are you an ultimate fighter of some sort? If so, thats pretty badass... can I have your autograph?

raphet99 06-18-2007 03:13 PM

World Combat League...amirite?

drewjustdrew 06-18-2007 03:18 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

This reminded me of the most annoying player I have ever met. He busted out of a satellite and then came up to the ropes I hiad around the final table and was trying to tell bad beat stories to the players at the final table. I had to ask him to leave.

[/ QUOTE ]

Go ahead. You can say it. It was Mike Matusow, wasn't it? This was what he was doing the first time I ever saw him. Probably around 2000 or so. My thought was "this wannabe poker player is pathetic" bothering the real players.

MicroBob 06-18-2007 03:24 PM

I've signed autographs too from when I worked in radio. Not many, but some listeners would come up to me and ask me to sign something or pose for a pic with them or whatever.
I was always genuinely flattered although I did think it was a little strange.

Worth noting that signing a few autographs over the course of a few years is way different than having hordes of autograph seekers practically everyday which I never experienced nor care to.

I did get a few autographs of a couple athletes and broadcasters when I was kid. I grew out of that phase though.

I've seen lots of adults go crazy trying to get athletes' signatures and some of the behavior and screaming, "Sign This!! Hey...I'm Next!!" etc at a ball-game can be pretty pathetic.
Most of the athletes go out of their way to be as polite as they can while all these people are screaming at them and the people still think the athletes are just being rude.

Oh well, it's just one of those things that kind of bugs me I guess.

Bav and others - I actually do think there is some benefit to just telling people not to bother the poker-players.
Some people are kind of on the fence about bugging poker-players for autographs and aren't 100% "I'm going to hunt everyone down and get as many sigs as I can."

For some people I suspect that saying, "Hey, don't be that guy" might be enough to cool them out on the whole autograph thing a bit.

Probably something of a bummer for those who are all dreamy about getting all these autographs for whatever reason but I kind of think it needs to be said.

drewjustdrew 06-18-2007 03:49 PM

Though I haven't asked for an autograph since I was about 11, I have no problem with it if the player is being paid to represent a product, such as a website or a book. To bother a player just cuz he's been on TV is pretty strange. I guess I would say that you are fair game if you are wearing sponsorship gear or are a known media whore, and are a recognizable name.

youtalkfunny 06-18-2007 04:57 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
I had to ask him to leave.

[/ QUOTE ]

RR - Wow. That's amazing.

[/ QUOTE ]

RR asking a player to leave is the least amazing thing I've ever read. [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

youtalkfunny 06-18-2007 05:01 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

This is so cool. I often imagined that I might respond like that if I ever got rich and famous. It thrills me to discover that someone as balla as Bill Russell actually did it.

youtalkfunny 06-18-2007 05:06 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Speaking strictly for myself: Yes. Absolutely.

I should note that BUYING an autograph is an entirely different thing. I think that's dumb, too--but at least the autograph seeker isn't bothering people.

Also, kids get an exemption about bother people, as they're too young to understand. Adults who bother people are no better than aggressive panhandlers.

rontime 06-18-2007 05:39 PM

After reading all these posts, don't think I'll try to get any autographs. The thought of asking now seems embarrassing, I'll just buy a poster. thanks for all the help

Cornell Fiji 06-18-2007 05:41 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I should note that BUYING an autograph is an entirely different thing. I think that's dumb, too--but at least the autograph seeker isn't bothering people.

[/ QUOTE ]

I disagree.

The actual act of obtaining the autograph is much more exciting than having the autograph. When I was a kid I used to go to ballgames early and try to get anyone in uniform to sign my ball and I cherish those autographs (preston wilson, vance willson, and alberto castillo on the same ball!) much more than I do the few autographs (hank aaron) that I have gotten as gifts.

MJBuddy 06-18-2007 06:43 PM

The only time I would ever ask for an autograph was if I was actually playing poker with the gentleman at the same table; I'd probably have them sign a card and keep a deck of autographs :P.

That way, I feel an autograph is the least I could get for putting my dead money in the tournament [img]/images/graemlins/tongue.gif[/img].

MJBuddy 06-18-2007 06:45 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I disagree.

The actual act of obtaining the autograph is much more exciting than having the autograph. When I was a kid I used to go to ballgames early and try to get anyone in uniform to sign my ball and I cherish those autographs (preston wilson, vance willson, and alberto castillo on the same ball!) much more than I do the few autographs (hank aaron) that I have gotten as gifts.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah, most people don't understand that the allure isn't the item or the name; it's the story. Meeting and having a conversation with, playing with, or just small-talk with someone famous warrants a story. The autograph is to prove to your friends it happened.

gobbomom 06-18-2007 06:56 PM

if someone thinks it's a "bother" to have people admire your life skill to the point of asking for your autograph, then that's sad. I could understand being perturbed if it's done in a rude way, but mostly it seems a huge compliment to me.

moris 06-18-2007 06:56 PM

Would it be wrong to get a "pro" to sign a chip that you won from him/her?

Hopey 06-18-2007 06:59 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Would it be wrong to get a "pro" to sign a chip that you won from him/her?

[/ QUOTE ]

After you bust him/her out of a tournament? Probably.

Cactus Jack 07-02-2007 09:25 AM

[ QUOTE ]
5 Year old,

I think everything following "say," can be attributed to Bill Russell, unless CJ comes back and disagrees.

I never got people who autograph hunt, but each to their own - just dont be too insistant i guess - its like if you go to a football game, you dont ask for the autograph during the match, you do it either side, or at half time, but you never chase them down for it because whilst that autograph might be important to you it wont be for the pro in question.

[/ QUOTE ]

Thanks for the assist. I kinda lost this thread when it got moved, and haven't been reading the forum. Too painful as I am not rolled for anything at all right now. Couple of bad months can do that to ya.

As for Bill Russell, yes, it was him and not I who had the policy. I've been practicing my signature for 40 years. He started doing the handshake thing because he thought getting his autograph for resale was reprehensible. Bill has more dignity than most anyone on the planet.

pokeraz 07-02-2007 10:28 AM

[ QUOTE ]
After reading all these posts, don't think I'll try to get any autographs. The thought of asking now seems embarrassing, I'll just buy a poster. thanks for all the help

[/ QUOTE ]

Dude, don't let these clowns get you down. If you want to get someone's autograph, just be polite about it and ask. No big deal. If someone gets uptight about you asking, well, it's them that has a problem, not you.

The-Donk 07-02-2007 10:50 AM

Autographs - why. If you want I can sign now.

I wont ask for autograph from any players - even if I reach the FT.

They are also like us, and on some good day there time has worked out well and they have won that's all.

Nothing great about and these autograph hunters elevate them to the next level.

Just poker players - that's all.

The-Donk 07-02-2007 10:52 AM

What about shaking something else?