Two Plus Two Newer Archives

Two Plus Two Newer Archives (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/index.php)
-   Heads Up Poker (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/forumdisplay.php?f=60)
-   -   line check TPTK earlyish in $220 HUSNG (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/showthread.php?t=428652)

WutRUTryin2Hit 06-16-2007 10:50 AM

line check TPTK earlyish in $220 HUSNG

Ran into this spot in a 220 against an unknown. He has minbet preflop a few times so my read on him is he's bad. This is hand 12, and I have won half the pots so far, but the bigger ones and I think he may view me as aggressive because I am betting him pretty hard (based on my read he's bad). A few hands ago I opened with AJ and made this exact bet on a JT3 flop and he folded. He is avg. aggressiveness. Oh yeah also on like hand 3 he minbet to 40 and I shoved for 1500 preflop with AK and he folded lol. I just thought he might call. So he prob. sees me as pretty aggro, yeah.

This is not a super-interesting hand, but I'm curious how most people would play this, like what's your default line given a read that the opponent is not good.

PokerStars No-Limit Hold'em Tourney, Big Blind is t20 (2 handed) Hand History converter Courtesy of PokerZion.com

BB (t1620)
Hero (t1380)

Preflop: Hero is Button with Q[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], A[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img].
<font color="#CC3333">Hero raises to t60</font>, BB calls t40.

Flop: (t120) 2[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], K[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], A[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
BB checks, <font color="#CC3333">Hero bets t120</font>, <font color="#CC3333">BB raises to t340</font>

CASHius-Clay 06-16-2007 10:54 AM

Re: line check TPTK earlyish in $220 HUSNG

Depending on your read, I would push. Because he's propably thinking that you are an aggro player, he will call your push with a rag-Ace or a King.

Maybe he has nothing and he just doesn't want to be bullied around.

So for me I would shove after his raise.

jeffraider 06-16-2007 12:13 PM

I call and then call the turn and river but maybe bet the river if he checks turn

Sheetah 06-16-2007 12:30 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I call and then call the turn and river and bet the river if he checks turn

[/ QUOTE ]

WutRUTryin2Hit 06-18-2007 02:26 PM

Thanks for the opinions. My opinion that this is a good spot to shove, cause so many people are going to call you with ace-anything, and I don't think if you call the raise many players are going to fire another barrel with air. I was just really curious what people here would generally do in this spot.

cwar 06-18-2007 02:33 PM

Given your image I think its a clear shove.

SeanBateman 06-19-2007 10:45 PM

wow really shove? that seems horrible to me.

my standard here is call. you're in position. you are probably ahead close to always and there aren't any draws. people c/r with air here constantly at higher buyins, so to earn the most money from Ax, Kx, and bluffs, call the flop and let him fire the turn. if he checks the turn you bet it and aren't giving away too much info.

this is a dream spot hu, imo. any hand that calls a push and loses will go to showdown with you anyways. on such a dry board, a push isn't going to be a draw or anything so you won't get a lot of hands to call.

omgwtfnoway 06-19-2007 11:21 PM

[ QUOTE ]
this is a dream spot hu, imo. any hand that calls a push and loses will go to showdown with you anyways. on such a dry board, a push isn't going to be a draw or anything so you won't get a lot of hands to call.

[/ QUOTE ]
i think it's a dream spot because your shove is going to get called by a worse hand a large % of the time. calling the flop c/r is a very strong play and represents a strong hand to your opponent.

SeanBateman 06-20-2007 12:40 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
i think it's a dream spot because your shove is going to get called by a worse hand a large % of the time. calling the flop c/r is a very strong play and represents a strong hand to your opponent.

[/ QUOTE ]

i think any hand that calls your shove is going to go to showdown, do you disagree? i dont see what hands call the shove but dont call a 2nd bet or put another bet in somewhere.

ex: i dont see Kx calling a shove, but it would call a river bet after a turn check. or he bets river himself.

ChicagoRy 06-20-2007 01:10 AM

Wouldn't you rather a worse hand call a shove than to fire a few barrels at him and let him catch up?

SeanBateman 06-20-2007 02:53 AM

uh, im inclined to let the 5 outers draw. those are the situations you want.

edit: maybe its just a difference of opinion and style, i concede HU is the most personalized style of play. but in my experience shoving here is throwing away equity and letting him off easy.

HokieGreg 06-20-2007 07:09 AM

PUSH

ANYTHING ELSE IS LOL

seanbateman just admit you are wrong on this plz

use your image to your advantage HU. your read is that villain sees you as aggressive and you have top pair good kicker. villain will call you with any ace maybe a king usually.

i guess you guys are calling and giving villains J10/Q10 a free card to a gutshot and then posting a ZOMG BAD BEAT hand history in BBV amirite

ChicagoRy 06-20-2007 10:08 AM

Seriously, I'm not saying there aren't times when you can let a villain catch up a bit or draw cheaper, but if he's GOING TO CALL AN ALL IN JUST AS LIGHT AS A BET THEN SHOVVVVVVE.

Seriously, would you rather fire 3 when starting out 60-40 or get him all in on a flop 60-40?

From your posts that is what I gather you were saying, perhaps you did not word your thoughts right, but if you have two identical situations where you are ahead of a range for pushing or betting, you almost always are pushing.

SeanBateman 06-20-2007 05:37 PM

i guess you guys play against more idiots than i do at the 220s. o well. i can't see anyone with half a brain "usually" calling off his stack with middle pair no kicker here, as hokiegreg said. his "read" of you this quickly into the game (first level) with no prior games vs. him matters very little in my opinion.

ChicagoRy 06-20-2007 11:18 PM

[ QUOTE ]
i guess you guys play against more idiots than i do at the 220s. o well. i can't see anyone with half a brain "usually" calling off his stack with middle pair no kicker here, as hokiegreg said. his "read" of you this quickly into the game (first level) with no prior games vs. him matters very little in my opinion.

[/ QUOTE ]

I never said what he was going to call, I just said if he's calling a shove with the same weak hands he's going to call down with, then you should shove.

You seemed to disagree with this from what I saw, if not no big deal.

KakiTee 06-21-2007 01:18 AM

call flop, get it in on a non-king turn.

HokieGreg 06-21-2007 02:19 AM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

wtf

KakiTee 06-21-2007 03:15 AM

this is the 1st level against between two players who don't know each other you tard, regardless of him thinking you are aggressive the 1st 3bet is usually still judged differently. It is a definite shove if there was 2 X a suit on board because then villain can actually beat a hand that you shove if he just has a K, but he is more likely to have a weak A there, and will probably lead around 50% of his remaining stack any non-king turn making him totally committed - also if he is bluffing we provide a 2nd opportunity.

HokieGreg 06-21-2007 03:36 AM

HU FOR ROLLZ!??!?!

KakiTee 06-21-2007 03:44 AM

ldo, cash though, not sngs, pm me.

ChicagoRy 06-21-2007 11:27 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

"this is the 1st level against between two players who don't know each other you tard, regardless of him thinking you are aggressive the 1st 3bet is usually still judged differently. It is a definite shove if there was 2 X a suit on board because then villain can actually beat a hand that you shove if he just has a K, but he is more likely to have a weak A there, and will probably lead around 50% of his remaining stack any non-king turn making him totally committed - also if he is bluffing we provide a 2nd opportunity. "

I understand your POV, but given everything Hero has done so far he has a gross image and villain is going to get it in with a lot more stuff here than he should often. You think he's folding A9 to a shove here? He might get it in with worse aces and maybe even a king if we're lucky.

A king turn is actually not a terrible card for us here, I'm more inclined to be worried about low cards pairing up his ace.

I just think given the read and the way he has donked around against villain that he will get called way too light here to pass up the opportunity. And it's a non nutted hand that we're going to be shoving with little recourse if called, so if he folds here it's just another maniac looking move to tilt him and make him go in even wider next time.

It's definitely not a an opinion worth calling somebody a tard over....

HokieGreg 06-21-2007 11:29 PM

yeah it really hurt my feelings

srsly

ThePhenom919 06-22-2007 06:53 AM

if 120's gonna be a standard. cont. bet for u, I'd shove. If u bet 80, and he made it 220-330...I'd flat w/ every intention of raising allin on the turn.

KakiTee 06-22-2007 02:23 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
A king turn is actually not a terrible card for us here, I'm more inclined to be worried about low cards pairing up his ace.

[/ QUOTE ]
its not that it is a bad card for us necessarily, its that it is a bad card for what our opponent can now beat if he believed that we had at least a piece on the flop.

DaycareInferno 06-22-2007 02:38 PM

i would probably move in even without an agressive image going, because you raised preflop and got cr'ed on a board that nailed your starting button raising range. the hand is usually going to be over now whether you call or raise. if he's got a king, he's either going to give you credit for an ace or he's not, so i don't see any reason not to push. you're not going to get any more chips out of a worse hand that doesn't improve (or at least that same hand will call the push anyway), so why let a guy freeroll at a 5 outer?

i don't really understand the read either. you're on your 12th hand, villain has just over 1600 chips, and your read is "he's bad". what's that mean? i also don't understand wasting the AK in a previous hand. if the guy is bad, aren't your chances of getting his stack higher after the flop with a hand like that?

PrimordialAA 06-22-2007 02:45 PM

Man, I don't understand what all the debate is about, you have a loose image so far, he is probably getting frusterated, has seen you overbet a HUGE amount w/that AK push, I think it's a clear shove, and if he does manage to get away from A8 - AT or whatever (im assuming he insta-calls w/AJ), then you'll be able to change gears and use this finalization of your image to your advantage the rest of the game (and have a solid 2:1 (ish) ) chip lead