Two Plus Two Newer Archives

Two Plus Two Newer Archives (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/index.php)
-   News, Views, and Gossip (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/forumdisplay.php?f=31)
-   -   Best Player To Win The Series? (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/showthread.php?t=428332)

SILLYGOOSER 06-15-2007 08:50 PM

Best Player To Win The Series?

Who do y'all think is the best player to ever win the series and why? My vote's on Brunson for obvious reasons but I'd be inter ested to see if anyone picks any dark horses and list their reasoning behind it.

Rootabager 06-15-2007 08:53 PM

Re: Best Player To Win The Series?

amarillo slim

sdfsdf 06-15-2007 08:54 PM

jamie gold because he won the most money obv

06-15-2007 08:54 PM

bob stupak and it's not even close imo

nuclear500 06-15-2007 09:01 PM

Why is he the best player to ever win?

No offense, but when he won it was like 37 people. Yes it was 37 of the best players at the time, period, but someone like Johnny Chan winning back to back in 200+ fields of even more good/great players to me seems like a bigger accomplishment.

I by no means am saying he didn't accomplish great things, but when he won the main event it wasn't nearly what it was when Chan won. But that comparison I do not translate to Moneymaker, Raymer, Hachem, Gold era wins (size field = winner = better player) because those events were post-Internet boom.

SILLYGOOSER 06-15-2007 09:01 PM

list why and reasoning

A_C_Slater 06-15-2007 09:06 PM

In terms of all around poker playing ability it has to be Brunson. In terms of tournament NL ability only, than probably Carlos Mortensen. With his WPT championship win and the fact that he always seems to go deep in large fields and his back to back Party million wins shows he understands even the online NL tourney game as well.

Hachem is a close second. And I don't think Chan has adapted as well to the way the game is played now as well as Mortensen is able too.

Quadstriker 06-15-2007 09:07 PM

[ QUOTE ]
list why and reasoning

[/ QUOTE ]

You didn't.

leedtourwood 06-15-2007 09:54 PM

Stu?

GrandMelon 06-15-2007 09:57 PM

SILLYGOOSER OBV LOLOL

KakiTee 06-15-2007 10:13 PM

Chan has best acheivements in ME

SILLYGOOSER 06-15-2007 10:18 PM

[ QUOTE ]
SILLYGOOSER OBV LOLOL

[/ QUOTE ]

What? Not old enough to go to series but expect to see there in a few years.

SILLYGOOSER 06-15-2007 10:18 PM

[ QUOTE ]
In terms of all around poker playing ability it has to be Brunson. In terms of tournament NL ability only, than probably Carlos Mortensen. With his WPT championship win and the fact that he always seems to go deep in large fields and his back to back Party million wins shows he understands even the online NL tourney game as well.

Hachem is a close second. And I don't think Chan has adapted as well to the way the game is played now as well as Mortensen is able too.

[/ QUOTE ]

Might agree with all of this if you didn't list Hachem who was he before he won the main event?

rounder00 06-15-2007 10:22 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
I think you should look at stueys accomplishments, they blow chan out of the water

Russ M. 06-15-2007 10:25 PM

Phil Hellmuth helloooooooo

nath 06-15-2007 10:35 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
define "win the series"

my vote goes to noel furlong btw

TimTimSalabim 06-15-2007 10:39 PM

I assume 'win the series' means ME. Probably could make a good argument for Chan, Brunson, Hellmuth, maybe even Harrington and a few others. I'd be surprised if this topic hasn't been done before, including a poll.

Edit: oh and Stuey duh.

A_C_Slater 06-15-2007 10:48 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Might agree with all of this if you didn't list Hachem who was he before he won the main event?

[/ QUOTE ]

It's on what he's done since winning. The next year he went deeper than any other ME winner and he finsihed 2nd to Dutch Boyd in a 6 max event. And later that year he won the 3rd most prestigious tournament of the year in the 15k buy in Doyle Brunson North American Classic.

TheWorm967 06-15-2007 10:56 PM

didn't chan win two then finish second in the third?

pretty impressive stuff if i'm correct.

Roy Gonzo 06-15-2007 11:01 PM

...are you serious?

Brandi "Percentage Girl" Hawbaker obviously! After this years ME! ...and it's not even close!

jogsxyz 06-15-2007 11:11 PM

[ QUOTE ]
didn't chan win two then finish second in the third?

pretty impressive stuff if i'm correct.

[/ QUOTE ]

Losing the third one hurt big time. Chan came in second to Hellmuth. And Jerry Buss promised Chan a LA Laker Championship ring if he could three-peat. No three-peat and no championship ring.

Ribsauce 06-15-2007 11:53 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
I think you should look at stueys accomplishments, they blow chan out of the water

[/ QUOTE ]When you can win 2, then snort so much cocaine you disappear and collapse your nose, then win a third, you are the top dog.

I think he won something disgusting like 10 of the 30 10k buyin tournaments he ever entered.

RobAtticus 06-15-2007 11:58 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]When you can win 2, then snort so much cocaine you disappear and collapse your nose, then win a third, you are the top dog.

I think he won something disgusting like 10 of the 30 10k buyin tournaments he ever entered.

[/ QUOTE ]

It was 10 of 30 $5k+ events. He also had such a mammoth chiplead in the 1990 ME, then failed to show up, and blinded out 9th.

rounder00 06-16-2007 12:23 AM

yea, he was just insane good... its too bad we can't see what he would be at now...who knows how many ME titles he'd have, or just bracelets

ocdscale 06-16-2007 12:42 AM

[ QUOTE ]
When you can win 2, then snort so much cocaine you disappear and collapse your nose, then win a third, you are the top dog.

[/ QUOTE ]

Seriously.

JJBuffone 06-16-2007 01:28 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
define "win the series"

my vote goes to noel furlong btw

[/ QUOTE ]

Furlong FTW

dollerAday 06-16-2007 01:38 AM

will durkee, or the dot.

SILLYGOOSER 06-16-2007 02:04 AM

THE series. It's pretty obvious Brunson is better than Chan.

Moose 06-16-2007 02:05 AM

My vote goes to Harrington.

forgive the pro wrestling reference, but Dan Harrington is clearly the Bob Backlund of poker. That is, he unfortunately does not get the respect he deserves because he is a Howdy Doody in a South Park world. And I'll put his post-ME-win achievement of "educating a whole new generation of NL tourney players with the absolute best set of books on the subject ever written" up against any number of tourney wins.

Jourdain 06-16-2007 04:19 AM

Re: My vote goes to Harrington.

Too bad Jesse Alto is dead, but he has the most impressive Main Event results without a win though:

1975: 6th
1976: 2nd
1978: 5th
1984: 3rd
1985: 6th
1986: 4th
1988: 9th

glimmertwin 06-16-2007 04:39 AM

If we're talking about non-winners, then what about that fat bastard in the top hat? I don't think I've ever watched old footage of the WSOP without him sitting at the final table.

And who the hell was he anyway?

Edit: OK, I've done a google search for "fat bastard top hat WSOP" and it seems he was called Ken Smith. I wonder if he was still playing, whether he'd have 'pokerstars.net' emblazoned across the front of it.

hijack 06-16-2007 05:29 AM

Dmitri Nobles

No other than the Great Demitri!

TheHC 06-16-2007 07:35 AM

[ QUOTE ]
jamie gold because he is the greatest player ever

[/ QUOTE ]

FYP

BananaDan 06-16-2007 07:37 AM

No love for Huck Seed?

tiger_hall 06-16-2007 09:37 AM

i hope i win.... i would then give the money back to the community by playing badly

Jourdain 06-16-2007 10:01 AM

[ QUOTE ]
If we're talking about non-winners, then what about that fat bastard in the top hat? I don't think I've ever watched old footage of the WSOP without him sitting at the final table.

And who the hell was he anyway?

Edit: OK, I've done a google search for "fat bastard top hat WSOP" and it seems he was called Ken Smith. I wonder if he was still playing, whether he'd have 'pokerstars.net' emblazoned across the front of it.

[/ QUOTE ]

Ken Smith was also an accomplished chess player, he died about 10 years ago.

Squareview 06-16-2007 10:30 AM

[ QUOTE ]
No love for Huck Seed?

[/ QUOTE ]

r u serious? huck is crap

shawny boy 06-16-2007 11:35 AM

stu ungar, 3 time winner, second is hellmuth, third is doyle brunson and fourth is chan.

costanza_g 06-16-2007 11:52 AM

Moneymaker.

He beat farha heads up and only aba has been able to do that. And since aba is the greatest cash game player, moneymaker must be the best tourney player.

BananaDan 06-16-2007 12:02 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
No love for Huck Seed?

[/ QUOTE ]

r u serious? huck is crap

[/ QUOTE ]

ME winner and what...3 other bracelets? Consistent winner in cash games and on top of that a sick prop bettor, bringing in huge amounts of bread from that too. Yeah, the dude must suck. What a fish.

BTW what have you won?