Two Plus Two Newer Archives

Two Plus Two Newer Archives (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/index.php)
-   News, Views, and Gossip (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/forumdisplay.php?f=31)
-   -   Excellent Gambling/Las Vegas Writing (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/showthread.php?t=428039)

Johnny Hughes 06-15-2007 09:58 AM

Excellent Gambling/Las Vegas Writing

Pauly at www.taopoker.blogspot.com has the best writing on Las Vegas and the World Series in his current essay on your computer if you love great writing. Jack Kerouac and Hunter Thompson are smiling down. We are going to be hearing a lot more about Pauly.

Johnny Hughes

woodguy 06-15-2007 10:06 AM

Re: Excellent Gambling/Las Vegas Writing

[ QUOTE ]
Those disease-infested tramps drenched in poorly cloned perfume to hide the smell of [censored] on their breaths, hope to lure in the sexually depraved internet pros who have not seen daylight let alone the inside of a vagina since 2004 as they shuffle past the geriatric zombies glued to the Wheel of Fortune slot machines as their orange eyeballs radiate sloth, greed, wrath, pride, gluttony, lust, and pride and suck the life out of anyone who walks within five feet radius of their tortured karmas.

[/ QUOTE ]

Poetry

cmitch 06-15-2007 10:06 AM

I agree. Pauly has some great daily recaps sprinkled with interesting stories. Who else gives you a daily "Last 5 Pros I Pissed Next to..."?

trying2learn 06-15-2007 10:06 AM

that was excellent...i don't remember enjoying anything Pauly wrote as much before.

very fun read.

grdred944 06-15-2007 10:10 AM

Always a good read.

Johnny Hughes 06-16-2007 09:00 AM

I have been following the World Series of Poker on Pauly's site. He is not a big fan of the Black Tent around the final table. Even though there have been a few minor glitches and controversies, I predict this will be the biggest and best World Series. The strong dominence by the amazing twentysomethings continues. Poker is still growing. There should be an explosion of new home games all around the country. Hooray for your houseman!

06-16-2007 11:25 AM

Post deleted by Mat Sklansky

Squareview 06-16-2007 12:01 PM

All you can eat buffets is on everyone's To Do list while they stuff their faces with lukewarm fried chicken and ignore the simple fact that millions of others in our world are dying of starvation with flies crash landing on their swollen protruding bellies as the vultures of death circle around ready to tear apart the thin layer of muscle and skin that wrap around our fellow humans and with every extra plate of pasta or every scoop of ice cream we step closer and closer towards Hell's front door where hustlers named Zed hang out and try to steal every single dollar out of your pocket and rob you of every ounce of dignity in your brainwashed body because you firmly believe that anything that happens in Vegas stays in Vegas but those credit card bills don't stay in Vegas and come to your mailbox, just like how that itchy case of the crabs you picked up from the cocktail waitress at the Nascar Cafe in the Sahara follows you back home to Philly where you have to explain to your six-month pregnant wife why you have to shave your pubic hair and apply ointment to your hair-less balls three times a day because you got drank too much tequila and knocked boots with a Las Vegas cocktail server who stole your cellphone, two credit cards, and all of your black Bellagio chips as she quickly donked off your money at the Money Wheel and sold the numbers to your American Express card to an Al-Qaeda operative scouting out the best possible method to blow up the Hoover Dam to a million pieces while he lives high off the hog, ignoring all of Allah's special rules regarding women and pork and he forgot about 72 virgins because even deep cover Al-Qaeda cells can't ignoring all those hot chippies standing in line waiting to get into Tao, instead of planting IED on highways outside of Baghdad and trying to blow limbs off of 19 year old kids who wish they were back home playing online poker and trying to win satellite on PokerStars and snagging a WSOP bracelet in a 3,000 person event playing donkey poker and winning forty-seven coinflips in a row which means more money to buy more lapdances and until they are so broke that hey have to sneak onto the Monorail to get back to their hotel, if management hasn't thrown them out yet and rented their room a couple of German honeymooners named Karl and Freda.

read 4 x, its 1 perfect sentance

SkinnyLittleTwig 06-16-2007 12:21 PM

gaaaaaaaaaaaah going throught that diarrhea of words is like a coke binge in written form

kemystery 06-16-2007 12:50 PM

metaphors [img]/images/graemlins/crazy.gif[/img]

celiboy 06-16-2007 12:53 PM

OMG, this guy has not heard of a period. Anyone who thinks this is good writing obviously failed Grade 6 English.

TheIcyC 06-16-2007 01:32 PM

lol, i dont think good writing is what you learn in school. school is about grammar and stuff, not about good writing.

Dan87 06-16-2007 02:15 PM

i think with that huge bulk squareview posted the writer was trying to pull a good will hunting

Eder 06-16-2007 03:46 PM

[ QUOTE ]
OMG, this guy has not heard of a period. Anyone who thinks this is good writing obviously failed Grade 6 English.

[/ QUOTE ]

The lack of periods is genius..

Meraxes 06-16-2007 04:55 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

There's a little more to writing well than proper punctuation. Ever heard of stream of conciousness? I guess my point is, I'd rather be entertained than impressed with someone's grasp of the nuances of grammer.

EL Burro Loco 06-16-2007 05:39 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

And anyone who passed 6th grade English and actually went on to read books might know that when it comes to style the rules are very easily bent and broken.

Dr. Pauly 06-17-2007 02:09 AM

Thanks for the kind words, Johnny Hughes. A compliment from you is truly an honor.

DrewOnTilt 06-17-2007 06:24 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Go read Card Player if you are looking for proper grammar.

06-18-2007 10:31 AM

mingorama 06-18-2007 11:57 AM

Dr. Pauly rules! Do visit his website --- you will bookmark it and return for more. Of the countless poker blogs out there, this one is clearly one of the best.

Dr. Detroit 06-18-2007 12:42 PM

Not much better than hearing about the underbelly of the gambling world mixed with random Phish and Dead references...not enough heads in the gambling world.

I can't believe this is the third WSOP I have relied on Pauly for. His blog has become part of my everyday morning routine the entire year.

F punctuation, if this writing doesn't hit you than you haven't had enough life experiences to understand the grit and feeling that comes through.

Banditgberg 06-18-2007 12:56 PM

Welcome to the past few years of my working life!

Tao of Pauly and Tao of Poker both are constant reminders of why i need to do more drinking, traveling, drugging, and living!

Dr. Pauly 06-18-2007 01:02 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Not much better than hearing about the underbelly of the gambling world mixed with random Phish and Dead references...not enough heads in the gambling world.

[/ QUOTE ]

Thanks for picking up on those, Dr. Detroit!

MiltonFriedman 06-18-2007 02:10 PM

You can\'t equate liking /not liking his style with \"life experience\"

"{ ..if this writing doesn't hit you than you haven't had enough life experiences to understand the grit and feeling that comes through."

.... or perhaps a reader is not "hit" because he or she has lived other than vicariously. Maybe an "exprienced" reader can recognize some romanticized bs written for a voyeuristic readership. However an entertaining, thesaurus-popping rush it may generate, it "hits" an inexperienced, neophyte hardest. (Sort of like a darker, more literate version of the shipithollaballa threads.)

I happen to read this stuff on occasion, it is entertaining and CERTAINLY a better read than Card Player. Compare anything Pauly writes with anything Allyn Jaffry writes in the "human interest" area..... Pauly has some entertainment value to his stream of consciousness.

Dr. Detroit 06-18-2007 04:17 PM

Re: You can\'t equate liking /not liking his style with \"life experienc

[ QUOTE ]
"{ ..if this writing doesn't hit you than you haven't had enough life experiences to understand the grit and feeling that comes through."

.... or perhaps a reader is not "hit" because he or she has lived other than vicariously. Maybe an "exprienced" reader can recognize some romanticized bs written for a voyeuristic readership. However an entertaining, thesaurus-popping rush it may generate, it "hits" an inexperienced, neophyte hardest. (Sort of like a darker, more literate version of the shipithollaballa threads.)

I happen to read this stuff on occasion, it is entertaining and CERTAINLY a better read than Card Player. Compare anything Pauly writes with anything Allyn Jaffry writes in the "human interest" area..... Pauly has some entertainment value to his stream of consciousness.

[/ QUOTE ]

I definitely understand your point and think that I didn't necessarily express exactly what I meant. That being said, not really sure I fall into the inexperienced neophyte category but I guess that's all relative.

I think the blog is great and enjoy the majority of his other stuff as well. I have repeatedly found myself relating to his metaphors and descriptions on a whole lot of levels...whether it was roaming around the country following a band on an 8 week bender or the feeling when the fog lifts after a weekend on megatilt, when you suddenly realize you have busted an entire high 5 figure bankroll in a weekend. Not to mention the fact that the interactions he mentions reminds me in every way of my group of friends...

I guess I should have said similar life experiences instead of "enough life experiences" because I would never want to judge someone else's travels or path.

06-18-2007 05:34 PM

darom03 06-18-2007 11:37 PM

His sentences are way too long. If he would punctuate a bit more, it would be utter brilliance.

TexRef 06-19-2007 12:11 AM

Pauly rules at life!

Johnny Hughes 06-20-2007 09:03 PM

The excellent, lyrical writing of Pauly's that I was talking about was his column for June 15th which you can find by scrolling down. It has shades of Renoir, Monet, and the Beat Poets. www.taopoker.blogspot.com

Check out his coverage of Vinnie and Eskimo in today's column.

idrinkcoors 06-20-2007 09:26 PM

I read Pauly every day, and enjoy his writing. Still, I know that once a year during the WSOP, he will do his, "Las Vegas is evil and dumb tourists come here blow their money on slots and strippers" routine. I usually just try to skim the post because it always is so damn depressing. It's like he writes it after a night of losing in the pits or something.

invisibleleadsoup 06-20-2007 10:08 PM

http://sugarjames.livejournal.com/ is about a million times better.
its worth going back to the archives and reading it from the start.

degeneratum 06-22-2007 02:49 AM

this guys lit is awesome

NajdorfDefense 06-22-2007 02:22 PM

[ QUOTE ]
All you can eat buffets is on everyone's To Do list while they stuff their faces with lukewarm fried chicken and ignore the simple fact that millions of others in our world are dying of starvation with flies crash landing on their swollen protruding bellies as the vultures of death circle around ready to tear apart the thin layer of muscle and skin that wrap around our fellow humans and with every extra plate of pasta or every scoop of ice cream we step closer and closer towards Hell's front door where hustlers named Zed hang out and try to steal every single dollar out of your pocket and rob you of every ounce of dignity in your brainwashed body because you firmly believe that anything that happens in Vegas stays in Vegas but those credit card bills don't stay in Vegas and come to your mailbox, just like how that itchy case of the crabs you picked up from the cocktail waitress at the Nascar Cafe in the Sahara follows you back home to Philly where you have to explain to your six-month pregnant wife why you have to shave your pubic hair and apply ointment to your hair-less balls three times a day because you got drank too much tequila and knocked boots with a Las Vegas cocktail server who stole your cellphone, two credit cards, and all of your black Bellagio chips as she quickly donked off your money at the Money Wheel and sold the numbers to your American Express card to an Al-Qaeda operative scouting out the best possible method to blow up the Hoover Dam to a million pieces while he lives high off the hog, ignoring all of Allah's special rules regarding women and pork and he forgot about 72 virgins because even deep cover Al-Qaeda cells can't ignoring all those hot chippies standing in line waiting to get into Tao, instead of planting IED on highways outside of Baghdad and trying to blow limbs off of 19 year old kids who wish they were back home playing online poker and trying to win satellite on PokerStars and snagging a WSOP bracelet in a 3,000 person event playing donkey poker and winning forty-seven coinflips in a row which means more money to buy more lapdances and until they are so broke that hey have to sneak onto the Monorail to get back to their hotel, if management hasn't thrown them out yet and rented their room a couple of German honeymooners named Karl and Freda.

read 4 x, its 1 perfect sentance

[/ QUOTE ]

Pauly is a good writer, but that is not a good example of his skills.

RunDownHouse 06-22-2007 04:06 PM

Is Pauly a writer by profession? If so, I'd guess his editor makes more than he does. The examples in this thread are not good writing, for the most part.

Johnny Hughes 06-24-2007 10:24 PM

Oh no, Dr. Pauly has been eliminated by one of the most beautiful women ever. I am eagerly awaiting what he will say. Here's what Wicked Chops said. http://wickedchopspoker.blogs.com/

Iggy put up a story I wrote.