Two Plus Two Newer Archives

Two Plus Two Newer Archives (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/index.php)
-   EDF (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/forumdisplay.php?f=81)
-   -   EDF bay area homegame (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/showthread.php?t=426825)

JaBlue 06-13-2007 05:51 PM

EDF bay area homegame

Anyone else in the SF bay area interested in a home game? It would be a lot of fun to meet some EDFers.

Stakes and games don't really matter, point would be to have fun, play cards, and get to know some gamblers.

Scorpion man expressed some interest and I would like to get this going too.

One thing we would need is a willing host. I cannot host and SM probably can't either.

Anyone who wants to participate should post here and we can discuss how to organize, what games to play, etc.

PITTM 06-13-2007 09:00 PM

Re: EDF bay area homegame

i could host, but then we would have to play in santa cruz, so having me host is probably a bad idea.

john voight 06-13-2007 09:01 PM

I would be interested in meeting many of you. However, I would feel kind of scared, mainly b/c I do not like doing things that I normally don't do (plus I am scared of ppl).

Would this be a "party"? Or would this be a game w/ ppl sweating it. I ask b/c while poker is the common thing that unites us all, IDK if it is the best medium for socializing. Maybe it is IDK, obv it is up to the forum to decide. (Maybe I am hesitant to play poker w/ you guys b/c I play NL30?)

Well, I didn't mean to sound negative, as the idea is great IMO. I know some kids in Hillsborough with some Balla x10 houses, but I doubt their parents would let a bunch of degens in (plus it is far from the city).

Aloysius 06-13-2007 09:03 PM

This post is fantastic on so many levels.

-Al

steel108 06-14-2007 02:33 AM

I'm in as long as we don't play too big. I live in a studio in the Tenderloine, if you guys have no problem roughing it, I honestly have no issues with hosting (no chips or table though).

adsman 06-14-2007 03:43 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I'm in as long as we don't play too big. I live in a studio in the Tenderloine, if you guys have no problem roughing it, I honestly have no issues with hosting (no chips or table though).

[/ QUOTE ]

I think all of you have to rethink this. We are in the EDF forum, not Student Life. An EDF home game should not involve options such as "roughing it", "don't play too big" and "I hope my mum doesn't find out".

An EDF home game should involve the home being at least 6000 sq feet, with a fully stocked wine cellar and a view of the bay. The stakes should be high enough to make losing a little painful for everybody. The chips will obviously need to be hand crafted originals with El D's avatar burned into the face. The table will prefably have been stolen from the Bellagio high rollers room.

I think that this is a start, feel free to add any important points I may have missed.

IggyWH 06-14-2007 04:23 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I would be interested in meeting many of you. However, I would feel kind of scared, mainly b/c I do not like doing things that I normally don't do (plus I am scared of ppl).

Would this be a "party"? Or would this be a game w/ ppl sweating it. I ask b/c while poker is the common thing that unites us all, IDK if it is the best medium for socializing. Maybe it is IDK, obv it is up to the forum to decide. (Maybe I am hesitant to play poker w/ you guys b/c I play NL30?)

Well, I didn't mean to sound negative, as the idea is great IMO. I know some kids in Hillsborough with some Balla x10 houses, but I doubt their parents would let a bunch of degens in (plus it is far from the city).

[/ QUOTE ]

Dude, I think I might have some leftover Prozac floating around somewhere.

JaBlue 06-14-2007 04:44 AM

RJ, will you come to SF if there's a host there?

JV, if you are afraid of people this is probably not the right place for you. There will be no people just sweating, that's ridiculous. Poker is a fine medium for socializing if you are a) not a nit b) socially competent and c) have good humor when it comes to losing. If you don't have those qualities you don't belong in the EDF homegame.

steel, I don't think anyone's gonna want to "rough it" to a studio in the TL.

----

Is anyone else interested?

Any proposals for what games to play? I was thinking No limit hold em and omaha ([censored] pot limit), and some stud, stud8, o8... just not razz... maybe chinese poker but i'll have to be taught that. Same goes for other games I don't know.

PITTM 06-14-2007 12:15 PM

[ QUOTE ]
RJ, will you come to SF if there's a host there?

[/ QUOTE ]

yeah, i work in mountain view, so if we do it on a friday night or something that would be super easy for me to come up there and just stay with friends up there when we're done. I could probably drop a couple hundred bucks without feeling too bad, so we dont need to play like a super mini kids game, but at the same time, no 5-10 nl or anything please. haha. I have a pretty nice, big chipset too if we need it.

TiK 06-14-2007 12:35 PM

[ QUOTE ]

I think all of you have to rethink this. We are in the EDF forum, not Student Life. An EDF home game should not involve options such as "roughing it", "don't play too big" and "I hope my mum doesn't find out".

An EDF home game should involve the home being at least 6000 sq feet, with a fully stocked wine cellar and a view of the bay. The stakes should be high enough to make losing a little painful for everybody. The chips will obviously need to be hand crafted originals with El D's avatar burned into the face. The table will prefably have been stolen from the Bellagio high rollers room.

I think that this is a start, feel free to add any important points I may have missed.

[/ QUOTE ]

Lol!!

If you all start one of these, I'd be down next time I'm in the Bay Area.

El Diablo 06-14-2007 01:04 PM

ads,

"The stakes should be high enough to make losing a little painful for everybody."

That was my favorite part of your post, and obviously the most critical element of an EDF home game!

By-Tor 06-14-2007 01:07 PM

[ QUOTE ]
ads,

"The stakes should be high enough to make losing a little painful for everybody."

That was my favorite part of your post, and obviously the most critical element of an EDF home game!

[/ QUOTE ]

and jalapeno kettle chips

offTopic 06-14-2007 01:13 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

- hot chicks
- fine food
- "The Chinese"

J.A.Sucker 06-14-2007 01:16 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

- hot chicks
- fine food
- "The Chinese"

[/ QUOTE ]

Ni. Han. Suh.

JaBlue 06-14-2007 03:02 PM

Do any of you (diablo, by-tor, offtopic, sucker) have interest in playing?

offTopic 06-14-2007 04:05 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Do any of you (diablo, by-tor, offtopic, sucker) have interest in playing?

[/ QUOTE ]

Over the last five years, I've averaged playing live approximately 1.2 sessions/year, so I'm not hopeful.

El Diablo 06-14-2007 04:19 PM

Ja,

I'm not much of a homegame guy. I just don't like poker all that much as a leisure activity, to be honest.

However, I would be happy to meet you, perhaps you can join me and john voight on our all day movie marathon?

PITTM 06-14-2007 04:47 PM

JERRY: Hey! Did you get the Volvo?

GEORGE: No, I decided to go with an '89 LeBaron.

ELAINE: A LeBaron?

JERRY: I thought Consumer said Volvo was the car.

GEORGE: What Consumer? I'm the consumer.

JERRY: Alright. Seems like...a strange choice.

GEORGE: Well, maybe so...but it was good enough for Mr. Jon Voight.

ELAINE: Jon Voight? The actor?

GEORGE (boasting): That's right. He just happened to be the previous owner of the vehicle.

JERRY: You bought a car because it belonged to Jon Voight?

GEORGE (defensive): No, no...

JERRY: I think yes, yes. You like the idea of telling people you're driving Jon Voight's car.

GEORGE: Alright, maybe I do. So what.

ELAINE: I've never even seen him in a car. I mean, look at his movies. No cars. Deliverance - canoe. Midnight Cowboy - boots. Runaway Train...runaway train. <Kramer enters.>

KurtSF 06-14-2007 06:20 PM

Mark me down as interested.

I think the stakes should be low, at least at first, as the goal is to meet up.

I know a couple rooms in downtown SF that could be had for ~$100 that could hold a couple poker tables. If we get 2 tables that's $5 a person. I'm in a studio in the Tenderloin also, so I can't host myself.

J.Brown 06-14-2007 07:11 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

- hot chicks
- fine food
- "The Chinese"

[/ QUOTE ]

Ni. Han. Suh.

[/ QUOTE ]

if someone is bringing "the chinese" i will fly down for this event. not the stuff in the motor oil container either must be from the brown pottery type jug. there should be nearby access to some sort of ms. pacman game as well. i would be willing to play any and all poker games in any locations as long as the two conditions above can be met. btw, am i even invited? i do not have a bay area zip code, but.............. later. J.

WillMagic 06-14-2007 09:04 PM

Clearly we should just all meet up at The National's concert in SF on the 27th.

I think it's at Bobo's 365 or something.

mrTEA 06-14-2007 11:24 PM

HEY I WANNA PLAY

pvn 06-15-2007 01:29 AM

[ QUOTE ]
The chips will obviously need to be hand crafted originals with El D's avatar burned into the face.

[/ QUOTE ]

I would be up for a group buy of some high-quality clay or ceramic chips like this.

Entity 06-15-2007 02:06 AM

You guys should play seven-deuce bounty and courchevel .

Rob

MoBetta 06-15-2007 02:39 AM

If you have any NL tournys and don't mind a newbie joining in, I'd like to play. I'm in the SF area

JaBlue 06-15-2007 02:43 AM

seven deuce bounty is for sure gonna be in the mix

PITTM 06-15-2007 02:58 PM

PADOOKI imo

J.A.Sucker 06-15-2007 03:05 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

- hot chicks
- fine food
- "The Chinese"

[/ QUOTE ]

Ni. Han. Suh.

[/ QUOTE ]

if someone is bringing "the chinese" i will fly down for this event. not the stuff in the motor oil container either must be from the brown pottery type jug. there should be nearby access to some sort of ms. pacman game as well. i would be willing to play any and all poker games in any locations as long as the two conditions above can be met. btw, am i even invited? i do not have a bay area zip code, but.............. later. J.

[/ QUOTE ]

I always have The Chinese at the ready at my house now. The one in the brown pottery jug. I do not have Ms Pac Man yet, though.

PanchoVilla 06-15-2007 07:36 PM

I am not a huge poster here on EDF, but I do have a place in Sunnyvale. While my house is not huge, I do have an extremely large garage. (about 800sq ft) I would be more than happy to host a home game if you need a place down in the south bay. I might possibly be able to host on June 29th, but best would be if its in July after the WSOP ME.

I am about 10 mins away from Garden City, right near the Duke of Edinburg pub and Ranch99 market if anyone is familiar with the location. Very close to hwy 280.

I also have a full 1,000 chip set of custom clay chips, and one of those bars that doubles as a craps/blackjack/roulette table. If you guys get a large group I can handle two tables easily. Well I need chairs and stuff, but I have the space. Haakee and El Diablo and bad_beetz are the only 2+2 ers who would know me in person. Let me know if you guys would want to make use of my space, email is faster than PM's for me. Not sure which of you is the ringleader, but my gmail address is.

presto.good@

I am sure you can figure out the rest of it. Or just post about it here.

PanchoVilla

haakee 06-15-2007 10:37 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I always have The Chinese at the ready at my house now. The one in the brown pottery jug. I do not have Ms Pac Man yet, though.

[/ QUOTE ]

Bay 101 has Ms Pac Man!

Analyst 06-15-2007 11:09 PM

[ QUOTE ]

I always have The Chinese at the ready at my house now. The one in the brown pottery jug.

[/ QUOTE ]

OK, I'll bite (or drink, as I assume is the case) - what is "The Chinese"?

Analyst 06-15-2007 11:14 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I am not a huge poster here on EDF, but I do have a place in Sunnyvale. While my house is not huge, I do have an extremely large garage. (about 800sq ft) I would be more than happy to host a home game if you need a place down in the south bay. I might possibly be able to host on June 29th, but best would be if its in July after the WSOP ME.

I am about 10 mins away from Garden City, right near the Duke of Edinburg pub and Ranch99 market if anyone is familiar with the location. Very close to hwy 280.

[/ QUOTE ]

Sounds like an ideal setup and location. Especially since it would be a 10 minute (or less) drive!

J.Brown 06-16-2007 12:15 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

I always have The Chinese at the ready at my house now. The one in the brown pottery jug.

[/ QUOTE ]

OK, I'll bite (or drink, as I assume is the case) - what is "The Chinese"?

[/ QUOTE ]

Drink.

Dr. Sucker will have to explain, but all i can say is that you get to keep the wonderful taste of it with you for quite some time. it is not to be missed.

JaBlue 06-17-2007 12:09 PM

so, to recap (tell me if I get this wrong):

PITTM: in, lives in Santa Cruz.
John Voight: in, scared.
steel108: in, from studio in TL
TiK: not in the bay area
Diablo: not in
KurtSF: in, also from studio in TL
offtopic: doesn't actually play poker, should be involved in planning
J. Brown: will fly in for The Real Chinese
WillMagic: maybe in(?), would probably prefer to just get stoned at a concert
MrTea: in from San Jose
MoBetta: in if its a tournament (its DEFINITELY not)
J.A. Sucker: has The Real Chinese, has not said he wants to play or not. probably not.
PanchoVilla: probable host, somewhere in south bay near Garden City near 280
Analyst: probably in

People that want to play: PITTM, john voight, steel108, kurt, willmagic, mrtea, panchovilla, analyst. That's 8. Perfect IMO.

OK, next thing to decide is time. You guys will all have to post what works for you. Pancho, what time are you free to host? Planning should probably revolve around your schedule. Lets figure out a time. When are you free after June 25 [next Monday]?

Also, the way I figure it, everyone coming should bring some kind of food or booze - enough to serve everyone else once. Of course PanchoVilla isn't responsible for this.

It sounds like the comfort area for most is right in the $100-200 range. So I'll suggest we play something like $.50-$1.00 blinds for no limit games with uncapped buy in, minimum either 100 or 200. And 3-6 (or whatever the real appropriate equivalent is, I don't know this) for limit games. Particular games can be decided there. Should be a rotation. So far NL Hold 'em, NL OMAHA, PADOOKI, Chinese Poker, Stud have all been suggested.

So everyone that wants to play should respond with info regarding stakes they are comfortable with, games they want to play, and when they are free.

my info:
Stakes willing to be played: any
games wanting to be played: any, definitely want omaha and stud
times free: any

Scorpion Man 06-17-2007 12:49 PM

I live in the East Bay...I would play, although I don't really know how to play the non hold'em games...I will just donate, I guess.

El Diablo 06-17-2007 04:09 PM

Ja,

PV is cool.

The Gift Of Gab 06-17-2007 04:28 PM

I'm probably out, but the most fun I've had at a home game was at Patri Friedman's where they played dealer's choice pot-limit. We played everything from PLHE to Mississippi stud nine-or-better to five card Omaha. Wacky games rule.

steel108 06-17-2007 04:57 PM

I wanted to play something like 5-10 blinds, but if I'm getting drunk it would be kind of dumb. I have class M thru Th till 8:45, the rest of the time is free. I only know how to play two of the games mentioned; I think I will be the donater in the group. If its .50-1.00, I guess it's not an issue siince I won't drop that much with those stakes.

pig4bill 06-17-2007 05:21 PM

I'd play if someone backs out or you just need dead money in the pot. Can't host.

By-Tor 06-17-2007 08:42 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I wanted to play something like 5-10 blinds, but if I'm getting drunk it would be kind of dumb. I have class M thru Th till 8:45, the rest of the time is free. I only know how to play two of the games mentioned; I think I will be the donater in the group. If its .50-1.00, I guess it's not an issue siince I won't drop that much with those stakes.

[/ QUOTE ]

fwiw, attitudes like this keep me from being interested in things like this.

thanks anyway though...