Two Plus Two Newer Archives

Two Plus Two Newer Archives (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/index.php)
-   Other Other Topics (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/forumdisplay.php?f=36)
-   -   John from Cincy Thread (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/showthread.php?t=424857)

Dids 06-11-2007 02:32 AM

John from Cincy Thread

I thought this was awesome. Weird as hell but awesome. I loved hearing that weird Milich style writing again.

The kid playing John is fantastic.

And now a weird thing: Am I the only person who thought the kid looked weirdly a lot like the hot blind Tyra chick from Friday Night Lights. Freaked me the hell out.

bottomset 06-11-2007 02:49 AM

Re: John from Cincy Thread

weird as hell, judgement to come later

Weir 06-11-2007 02:55 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Am I the only person who thought the kid looked weirdly a lot like the hot blind Tyra chick from Friday Night Lights

[/ QUOTE ]

id touch his junk

dcb777 06-11-2007 04:07 AM

It has potential, but its still a wait and see at this point.

youtalkfunny 06-11-2007 04:46 AM

Love the lottery winner in the seaside mansion eating on the floor because he has no furniture. Talking to, and playing with, a teddy bear because he has nobody. A lot of emptiness in that house.

The surfing scene at the end looked like a lot of fun.

Glad to see Mr Ellsworth is alive and well.

And of course, Al Bundy rocks.

kkcountry 06-11-2007 04:52 AM

although i am not a member of the surfing elite, i really liked it. i will definitely watch next week

<--- sweet hair-do on john, amirite?

Actual God 06-11-2007 06:09 AM

glad to see some of you stuck around and enjoyed it.

KAknight 06-11-2007 09:01 AM

This show has a lot of potential to be another great HBO series. I need to rewatch the scene where the lottery winner is waving the gun around to hear everything John said.

onthebutton 06-11-2007 12:06 PM

I'm looking forward to the next few episodes. This was just kind of a standard "meet the cast" type of pilot.

However, [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] seeing Ellsworth, and it looks like we'll see Charlie Utter next week. I'll watch just for that.

RacersEdge 06-11-2007 12:12 PM

Do people consider the reverse-scheduling effect of certain types of TV shows? Generally, people getting the slot behind a good show is a good thing, but in heavy drama shows like Lost and the Sopranos, you can't decompress fast enough from the first show to watch the second one.

Pudge714 06-11-2007 12:12 PM

I figured I would give it a shot and wasn't that impressed with the first 10 minutes or so, but after that I was really into it. Very good show, definitely watching next week.

Homer 06-11-2007 12:25 PM

I just noticed ep2 is available OnDemand already...sweet.

Gordon Scott 06-11-2007 12:45 PM

Rebecca De Mornay plus Ellsworth running an underground Mexican railroad and saying things like "going to smoke a fatty" is enough to have me hooked for another week a least.

GS

Actual God 06-11-2007 12:51 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

no way

SL__72 06-11-2007 01:10 PM

I liked it enough to watch again next week... Def. a meet the characters type of episode so I think I'll have to hold off further judgment for a few weeks.

danzasmack 06-11-2007 01:14 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

no way

[/ QUOTE ]

This is exciting!

Austiger 06-11-2007 01:23 PM

I love the "Supernatural meets Surfing" dichotomy. I can't wait to see where this show goes. Very well conceived and produced. Why does HBO make it seem so easy when it's so hard for every other network?

danzasmack 06-11-2007 01:39 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I love the "Supernatural meets Surfing" dichotomy. I can't wait to see where this show goes. Very well conceived and produced. Why does HBO make it seem so easy when it's so hard for every other network?

[/ QUOTE ]

Meh that's the one thing that hasn't sold me on the show yet. Based on the father's self diagnosis and their reaction to his floating it doesn't seem like it will be very difficult for them to embrace him for who he is, whatever or whoever he is.

As is the 1st ep. got my attention and I want to see where it goes.

Though you have to admit when Luke Perry is in the 1st 5 minutes you are a bit suspect.

Homer 06-11-2007 01:41 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

no way

[/ QUOTE ]

This is exciting!

[/ QUOTE ]

strange responses

Kramer. 06-11-2007 01:41 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Do people consider the reverse-scheduling effect of certain types of TV shows? Generally, people getting the slot behind a good show is a good thing, but in heavy drama shows like Lost and the Sopranos, you can't decompress fast enough from the first show to watch the second one.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah, I didn't watch this yet because my wife and I were too busy freaking out about the sopranos finale.

samjjones 06-11-2007 01:54 PM

Did the grandkid bring the bird back to life?

Homer 06-11-2007 01:55 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

<font color="white">ep2 answers this question</font>

onthebutton 06-11-2007 01:56 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I thought so. And John has some magical pants, or the ability to make anything appear. And the old dude can float. I can't wait to find out what Pachanga's special ability is. I hope it involves that awesome boiler he's got going.

Dids 06-11-2007 01:56 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

no way

[/ QUOTE ]

Two questions-

1- do you know where this is going or does David keep that under wraps.

2- If you do, you realize that if for some reason it gets cancelled, I will hunt you down and make you explain things to me.

mason55 06-11-2007 01:57 PM

i think it's brilliant of HBO to put ep2 up on OnDemand already.

samjjones 06-11-2007 01:58 PM

Also, when will the other characters realize that John = Chauncey Gardner?

samjjones 06-11-2007 02:01 PM

Also, in the HBO "commercial" directly preceding The Sopranos, which had a bunch of HBO show clips addressing the Sopranos "going away"...was anybody else slightly disappointed to not see a Dream On or Tales From the Crypt shoutout?

Dids 06-11-2007 02:05 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Also, in the HBO "commercial" directly preceding The Sopranos, which had a bunch of HBO show clips addressing the Sopranos "going away"...was anybody else slightly disappointed to not see a Dream On or Tales From the Crypt shoutout?

[/ QUOTE ]

I would have been upset if I'd seen anything from Dream On. Lord did I hate that show.

samjjones 06-11-2007 02:24 PM

Dids - cheap boobie every episode!

LuckOfTheDraw 06-11-2007 03:59 PM

As I said in the Sopranos thread, I felt like I was on drugs while watching the episode. Much too early to make a judgement on the show, but I can say that, for the most part, I was bored silly throughout most of the episode.

Hoya 06-11-2007 04:02 PM

Just watched. My guess for now is that John has some sort of powers that are also being channeled through the Yosts (at least Mitch and Shaun). I'm gonna watch the second episode now.

Actual God 06-11-2007 07:47 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

no way

[/ QUOTE ]

Two questions-

2- If you do, you realize that if for some reason it gets cancelled, I will hunt you down and make you explain things to me.

[/ QUOTE ]

I know where it goes - I've seen all the episodes through ep 8 and read all the scripts through ep 9. Ep 10 is still in the works, but I'm reading about it as it goes.

Miamipuck 06-11-2007 10:00 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

no way

[/ QUOTE ]

Two questions-

[/ QUOTE ]

I know where it goes - I've seen all the episodes through ep 8 and read all the scripts through ep 9. Ep 10 is still in the works, but I'm reading about it as it goes.

[/ QUOTE ]

You wrote for Deadwood correct? Are you writing for this show? Is there really a chance Deadwood gets a proper ending?

I have not watched this show yet, as I wanted to watch the last episode of the shield which coincided with J.F.C., my GF never saw the ending this week.

mason55 06-11-2007 11:31 PM

[ QUOTE ]
As I said in the Sopranos thread, I felt like I was on drugs while watching the episode. Much too early to make a judgement on the show, but I can say that, for the most part, I was bored silly throughout most of the episode.

[/ QUOTE ]

Wait for ep2 before judging. Things move a lot faster.

One thing I mentioned to a friend was that even before anything really happened in ep2, I was happy just watching the characters and seeing what was going on. All the characters are both flawed and lovable at the same time.

I told myself I'd give this show one more chance after ep1 and ep2 definitely makes me want more.

Dids 06-12-2007 12:29 AM

Miami,

AG's said before that they haven't started production on the Deadwood movies, but I don't think they're dead, just not happening anytime soon (and I'm pretty ok with that).

AG,

If you know this, is there any danger of the produced eps not being aired if ratings don't take off?

Hoya 06-12-2007 12:51 AM

Dids,

Episode one is available at HBO.com, so I'd guess they'd go that route if necessary. However, has HBO canceled any series mid-season recently?

danzasmack 06-12-2007 12:57 AM

Even Bill Simmons said in his chat today he tried to watch it but it was tough to focus on after the Sopranos. I'm sure they'll let the show pick up steam.

mason55 06-12-2007 01:02 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Even Bill Simmons said in his chat today he tried to watch it but it was tough to focus on after the Sopranos. I'm sure they'll let the show pick up steam.

[/ QUOTE ]

I watched the first ep again tonight and it was boring. Ep2 picks up though and it looks like it will only get better.

firstyearclay 06-12-2007 02:36 AM

I personally thought this was a good show. I would watch another.

Once again HBO does does a stellar job of casting.

HBO was clearly thinking, well millions will watch the Sopranos so what better time to launch a new original series. I was on the phone coast to coast with 3 different people talking about the ending of the Sopranos before I realized I missed half of this show.

fyc

danzasmack 06-12-2007 04:23 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I watched the first ep again tonight and it was boring. Ep2 picks up though and it looks like it will only get better.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah i just watched both again.

I really liked it and can't wait for ep. 3.