Two Plus Two Newer Archives

Two Plus Two Newer Archives (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/index.php)
-   Other Other Topics (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/forumdisplay.php?f=36)
-   -   Knocked Up (the movie) (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/showthread.php?t=419440)

Dids 06-04-2007 10:33 AM

Knocked Up (the movie)

Is better than 95% of movies you have seen this year imo.

Just a perfect combination of funny, crass, sweet, smart. Really solid movie, probably better than 40 Year Old Virgin and on par with Anchorman.

Go watch now plz.

capone0 06-04-2007 10:37 AM

Re: Knocked Up (the movie)

Only thing disappointing is we didn't get any Heigl topless action. What were there like 4-5 sex scenes and she had her bra on every time ^^. It was pretty damn good though.

otnemem 06-04-2007 10:37 AM

I've read this in pretty much every review. They've done a really horrible job of making it look good from the commercials and previews, which is unfortunate it it's as good as everybody's been saying it is.

Blarg 06-04-2007 10:42 AM

Haven't seen it yet and I hate the "oh aren't babies delightful" theme in movies, but the male lead was so good in The 40 Year Old Virgin that I really want this movie to succeed so we can see him some more.

Billy Bibbit 06-04-2007 10:43 AM

I firmly believe that every single movie looks worse in the previews than it actually is. It's like it's a rule that previews are required to make a movie look dumb.

danzasmack 06-04-2007 10:44 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I firmly believe that every single movie looks worse in the previews than it actually is. It's like it's a rule that previews are required to make a movie look dumb.

[/ QUOTE ]

jarhead

Dids 06-04-2007 10:48 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Haven't seen it yet and I hate the "oh aren't babies delightful" theme in movies, but the male lead was so good in The 40 Year Old Virgin that I really want this movie to succeed so we can see him some more.

[/ QUOTE ]

There's very little of that.

There's some sweet parts, but this is not at all an overly sappy movie.

wh1t3bread 06-04-2007 10:51 AM

I thought this movie was great. I usually don't say this, but it's definitely worth paying $11 to go see in the theater.

Jim Jiminez 06-04-2007 10:56 AM

[ QUOTE ]
probably better than 40 Year Old Virgin and on par with Anchorman

[/ QUOTE ]

So it's terrible? Won't be seeing.

hanimal 06-04-2007 10:58 AM

I loved this movie. I wanted to see it again right after.
Like Dids said, it had the perfect balance of funny and sweet, but the heartfelt moments felt real, not Hollywood contrived.

I would say it is on the long side though.
At one point I found myself thinking, geez it's been a really long time and the story is far from being resolved.
But it's a good thing, Apatow doesn't rush anything or use gimmicks to end the movie quickly.

If you're not a complete killjoy, I would say you will laugh out loud once every 2-3 minutes.

Badger 06-04-2007 11:13 AM

I was slightly disappointed, but that's only because I'm a big fan of Judd Apatow, and this movie was really built up by everyone who had seen it before me. Also, I wasn't feeling that great when I saw it. Don't get me wrong- I still thought it was a great movie.

I think they did a pretty good job of toning down the "warm fuzzy" aspect of the movie, and keeping the funny center stage. I can't find the interview I read, but Apatow was talking about how his movies have a somewhat conservative moral to them. He explains that it's only because if they didn't we'd only have a 15 minute movie where a lady gets an abortion. So I think he understands that his viewers don't want to see a movie like Wedding Crashers that turns into an all out cheesy romantic comedy at the end.

I think this cast is quite hillarious. If you enjoyed them and haven't seen Freaks and Geeks or Undeclared (Apatow's short-lived TV series) you should definitely check them out. They have most of the actors you see in this movie. I'm not sure how long he's going to be able to keep using this same set for his movies before it starts to get old. Doesn't really matter for me though, because I'll keep watching them.

Howard Beale 06-04-2007 11:19 AM

I saw it yesterday and agree that is practically a 'must-see'. Very funny in parts and it keeps the viewer's attention.

Boo on the bra, but lol on the converstation during sex.

RiverFenix 06-04-2007 11:29 AM

Hopefully Judd gets to keep making movies now.

CappyAA 06-04-2007 11:54 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Bite your tongue. 40 Year Old Virgin was funny and Anchorman was comedy gold.

Alobar 06-04-2007 11:54 AM

I thought it was pretty good. I've had a hard on for Heigl ever since "Wish upon a star" so I wasnt going to miss this movie.

Just like 40 year old virgin I thought it dragged on a bit and could have stood to be like 15 minutes shorter. But its definitely the best movie thats out right now and prolly will be the funniest comedy of the year.

Also I could have done without the crowning shot....twice!!! heh

MikeyPatriot 06-04-2007 11:55 AM

Just saw this last night, agree with all the glowing reviews.

One thing that stuck out to me was the lack of a "cliche" plot-conflict in the second third of the movie. The usual route to go is to have the sister plan some horrible evidence to screw up the hero. This movie had a more "realistic" storyline and I think the movie benefited greatly from it.

As for as the previews, I disagree that it makes the movie look bad. I wanted to see this movie after catching the trailer.

capone0 06-04-2007 12:00 PM

The dice thing was hilarious in the previews and funny in the movie.

kurosh 06-04-2007 12:10 PM

Another thumbs up here. My only issue is that it was about 20 minutes too long.

Dids 06-04-2007 12:16 PM

Which 20 minutes do you cut?

I thought it was long, but that's just because they developed the story well.

The only stuff I would cut would be anything involving the hair dude's stoner gf, just because while funny, they didn't advance the plot and were slightly cliche.

hoyasnaxa 06-04-2007 12:17 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Anchorman was awful. Really, really, awful.

pirateboy 06-04-2007 12:23 PM

Knocked Up was amazing.

Bicycles_Biatch 06-04-2007 12:29 PM

I was sort of entertained... but the girl from Grey's Anatomy bugs me... so I'm a bit bias.

miajag 06-04-2007 12:32 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

My sense of humor is awful. Really, really, awful.

[/ QUOTE ]

FYP

CrazyEyez 06-04-2007 12:36 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Anchorman was awful. Really, really, awful.

[/ QUOTE ]
http://img529.imageshack.us/img529/3756/agreejn6.jpg

Agree to disagree.

DonkeyKongSr 06-04-2007 12:41 PM

I liked it a lot, but my crowd kind of killed it a bit. The theater I saw it in probably had 20 people and most of them weren't laughing much. I found myself laughing more than anyone else, so I started to think, "Maybe this isn't as funny as I think it is." Glad to come here and see some validation.

Also, bra=lame. Especially when she talks about her droppy boobs and they are in a freakin' bra! WTF? It's like that line was written for her to be topless.

erroneous 06-04-2007 12:41 PM

Once again, I thought Paul Rudd was absolutely great. He really does well in these supporting actor roles (40 year old virgin as well). Some parts I loved with him ( SMALL SPOILERS):

<font color="white"> 1. Pointing out the five different kind of chairs in the Vegas room.

2. Ben blames him for telling Allison about their shrooms trip and calls him a lousy father. You think it might be an emotional moment, but Rudd just continues singing "happy birthday". brilliant! </font>

Dids 06-04-2007 12:42 PM

Upon more reflection, I'm giving Rudd a "best supporting" oscar right now.

pirateboy 06-04-2007 12:43 PM

That entire group - Rogen, Rudd, Carrell, Ferrell - all play off each other very well.

DonkeyKongSr 06-04-2007 12:44 PM

[ QUOTE ]
( SMALL SPOILERS):

<font color="white"> 1. Pointing out the five different kind of chairs in the Vegas room.</font>

[/ QUOTE ]

Those were some nice chairs. I want to have a house apolstered in the design on the high chair he sat on first.

Alobar 06-04-2007 01:01 PM

[ QUOTE ]

Also, bra=lame. Especially when she talks about her droppy boobs and they are in a freakin' bra! WTF? It's like that line was written for her to be topless.

[/ QUOTE ]

yeah, especially since the no topless thing wasnt for ratings consideration. Maybe her [censored] really are droopy, like fried eggs on a nail droopy and they went to shoot it topless and everyone was vomiting into buckets and stuff so they made her keep the bra on.

DonkeyKongSr 06-04-2007 01:12 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

yeah, especially since the no topless thing wasnt for ratings consideration. Maybe her [censored] really are droopy, like fried eggs on a nail droopy and they went to shoot it topless and everyone was vomiting into buckets and stuff so they made her keep the bra on.

[/ QUOTE ]

I think it was more, "Let's cast Catherine Heigl, she's hot. Huh? She won't do topless...well, let's add more titties to the rest of the movie and hopefully no one notices."

hanimal 06-04-2007 01:18 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I was sort of entertained... but the girl from Grey's Anatomy bugs me... so I'm a bit bias.

[/ QUOTE ]

But she's smoking hot.

Plus, I expected her acting to be mediocre at best and more just eye candy but I thought she was really good.

DrewDevil 06-04-2007 01:18 PM

Heigl is #1 on my list of CILFs now, she's passed Alba.

capone0 06-04-2007 01:28 PM

I think shes very hot. Why do some actresses never get Braces. She could use it.

Blarg 06-04-2007 01:31 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I think shes very hot. Why do some actresses never get Braces. She could use it.

[/ QUOTE ]

She has bad teeth? I wonder if this is becoming a trend in Hollywood. You never used to see this with American actresses.

NT! 06-04-2007 01:34 PM

fantastic movie. rogen in the sex scenes is hilarious. also paul rudd is my favorite person ever.

samsonite2100 06-04-2007 01:35 PM

As good as Knocked Up is, I think Superbad is gonna be the comedy of the year.

http://www.sonypictures.com/movies/superbad/

capone0 06-04-2007 01:43 PM

I know Mischa Barton has crooked ass teeth as well. I guess they were both child actresses (reading that Heigl was in Under Siege 2) and they didn't get them while teenagers. Most actresses do have pretty good teeth, I guess those 2 and Tom Cruise are exceptions.

Badger 06-04-2007 01:49 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Upon more reflection, I'm giving Rudd a "best supporting" oscar right now.

[/ QUOTE ]
He is always fantastic. See Wet Hot American Summer for more proof of this. I also really liked The OH in Ohio, which apparently nobody else on the planet saw.

nath 06-04-2007 01:49 PM

Plan to see it tonight. I [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] Judd Apatow and will watch anything he does (I actually bought the "Undeclared" box set sight unseen just because I loved "Freaks and Geeks" so much).