Two Plus Two Newer Archives

Two Plus Two Newer Archives (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/index.php)
-   The Lounge: Discussion+Review (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/forumdisplay.php?f=65)
-   -   Actor / Actress that you thought would hit the next level, but didn't (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/showthread.php?t=419271)

Golden_Rhino 06-04-2007 02:16 AM

Actor / Actress that you thought would hit the next level, but didn\'t

I recently watched "Fire in the Sky". I have seen it before and remember thinking at the time that DB Sweeney was ready to make the jump to stardom, but it never happened.

Do any actors / actresses surprise you at their lack of success?

Coffee 06-04-2007 02:27 AM

Re: Actor / Actress that you thought would hit the next level, but didn\'t

Robert Downey Jr.
David Morse
Parker Posey

Stagger_Lee 06-04-2007 03:28 AM

Re: Actor / Actress that you thought would hit the next level, but did

Mickey Rourke

govman6767 06-04-2007 03:48 AM

Tim Thomerson (greatest actor of all time see "Dollman" and "Trancers"

Lance Guest "Jaw's 3 & Last Starfighter"

Christopher Lambert (Highlander 1 (the only one) ) and Mortal Kombat. Fortress was good.

Adrien Paul (Highlander and love potion movie)

Tim Thomerson is my favorite actor His character dollman is the coolest guy in town. Dollman vs demonic toys was much better than puppetmaster vs demonic toys although I like corey feldman he could not save a movie where the puppets barely even fought.

Add That to the Trancers Series Jack Deth and Brick Bardo are 2 of the most badass charecters ever. He was the man.

My troll response is Tom Hanks with Splash and Big and bosom buddies he had so much comedic promise but he threw it all away with horrible movies like philidelphia, saving private ryan, davinci code etc etc. His drama pales to his greatness in the movie Joe Vs the Volcano.

Thug Bubbles 06-04-2007 10:39 AM

After watching Kill Bill Vol. 2 i was convinced that David Carradine would get more movie roles. But his great haul from that exposure was a Yellowpages commercial.

MrMon 06-04-2007 10:52 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Robert Downey Jr.
David Morse
Parker Posey

[/ QUOTE ]

I am still convinced that if Robert Downey Jr. could get his life together, he'll be a major player. He's certainly got the talent and he gets lots of chances, Hollywood likes him. He'll probably never be box office, many great actors aren't. But he's got an Oscar or two in him.

Morse has taken an interesting turn in playing the villain, and he's done well with that. He's not a leading man type, but he certainly has turned in some creepy performances, especially this season on House. He'll be around awhile.

For some reason Parker Posey never caught on, but she's still doing well. Her career will probably follow the Jennifer Jason Leigh route, lot's of small well acted roles in small films. An impressive body of work, just not box office.

Believe it or not, some actors prefer to just keep working in small roles rather than obtain "stardom". Only rarely are stars great actors, though everyone pretends they are. They're competent, but not great. (Or, they're capable of great stuff, but often you don't see it in their big roles.)

Blarg 06-04-2007 11:00 AM

[ QUOTE ]
After watching Kill Bill Vol. 2 i was convinced that David Carradine would get more movie roles. But his great haul from that exposure was a Yellowpages commercial.

[/ QUOTE ]

I think this was about what he deserved. He probably did better on those commercials than many actors do in movies anyway.

Blarg 06-04-2007 11:06 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Robert Downey Jr.
David Morse
Parker Posey

[/ QUOTE ]

I am still convinced that if Robert Downey Jr. could get his life together, he'll be a major player. He's certainly got the talent and he gets lots of chances, Hollywood likes him. He'll probably never be box office, many great actors aren't. But he's got an Oscar or two in him.

Morse has taken an interesting turn in playing the villain, and he's done well with that. He's not a leading man type, but he certainly has turned in some creepy performances, especially this season on House. He'll be around awhile.

For some reason Parker Posey never caught on, but she's still doing well. Her career will probably follow the Jennifer Jason Leigh route, lot's of small well acted roles in small films. An impressive body of work, just not box office.

Believe it or not, some actors prefer to just keep working in small roles rather than obtain "stardom". Only rarely are stars great actors, though everyone pretends they are. They're competent, but not great. (Or, they're capable of great stuff, but often you don't see it in their big roles.)

[/ QUOTE ]

True. Most stars, especially today, find a role that sells really well and stick with it. It's those two things together that make your average star. John Wayne, Clint Eastwood, Sylvester Stallone, Jerry Lewis, Sidney Poitier, and Robert DeNiro are some that come to mind. Even stars that are less narrowly defined in their success and in a narrow selection of roles are still usually quite narrow. Most play, for instance, the good guy who has all the best lines and seems to be the center of absolutely everything. Not a lot of adventure, variety, or surprise going on there. We know he'll by and large be palatable, usually get along with most everyone worth getting along with, instantly wake people up when he walks into a room, and leave everyone looking gray or even non-existent when he leaves it.

FortunaMaximus 06-04-2007 12:22 PM

Agreed w/ Lambert. He's pretty good.

Robert Sean Leonard though. I thought he showed a pretty good range in Dead Poets' Society, and especially Swing Kids.

Playing a douche in Driven, he seemed very underrepresented and stilted.

In looking over his IMDB, I noticed he's in House. I don't watch TV as a general rule though, so I wouldn't know about that.

mrbaseball 06-04-2007 12:51 PM

Two academy award winning actresses I always thought would have stronger careers are Marisa Tomei and Mira Sorvino. Neither seemed to be able to gain any career momentum from winning the big prize.

katyseagull 06-04-2007 12:56 PM

Oh my god! I was going to say Mira Sorvino too! How weird is that? I had expected so many great performances from her. Maybe that falls under a different category though - "Actors who made it to the highest level and then just tanked."

Blarg 06-04-2007 01:12 PM

What happened to her anyway? Winning an Oscar, being good in comedy, and being fantastically gorgeous and still very young seems like pretty everything an actress could need. Did she just step out to make babies or spend a decade saving whales or something?

katyseagull 06-04-2007 01:17 PM

I think they might price themselves right out of a job. There are so many cheaper talented young actresses who are willing and able to to be cast in these roles. No one is safe in Hollywood.

Blarg 06-04-2007 01:20 PM

I guess that could be possible. It's true that it's harder for women to get good roles, and there's an almost infinite number to choose from, probably most of whom will sleep with you to get the part. This is one field where the business about women not having an equal chance seems to really be true.

katyseagull 06-04-2007 01:28 PM

I'm going to get myself fired. Do you know how many Mira Sorvino pictures are not really that safe for work? I had to scroll through a bunch to find a decent one that shows off her face. She is much prettier than a lot of those pictures reflect.

Here you go, Blarg.

[img]http://rds.yahoo.com/_ylt=A9gnMidAS2RGUS4BUlejzbkF/SIG=153eq3kof/EXP=1181064384/**http%3A//us.movies1.yimg.com/movies.yahoo.com/images/he/photo/movie_pix/oscars/76th_annual_academy_awards_parties_photos/mira_sorvino/oscars3.jpg[/img]

Blarg 06-04-2007 01:32 PM

That's about the worst picture I've ever seen of her, and she still looks great.

katyseagull 06-04-2007 01:35 PM

[ QUOTE ]
That's about the worst picture I've ever seen of her, and she still looks great.

[/ QUOTE ]

Geez. I had to sit here and scroll through about a hundred of them just to come up with that one. There were a bunch that were NSFW. You might have enjoyed those more.

Blarg 06-04-2007 01:41 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Geez. I had to sit here and scroll through about a hundred of them just to come up with that one. There were a bunch that were NSFW. You might have enjoyed those more.

[/ QUOTE ]

LDO [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

MrMon 06-04-2007 01:42 PM

Marisa Tomei has had a bit of a career resurgence recently, but she's more concerned about quality than in becoming a star. At 42, I'll be she's just coming into those middle age roles where she'll really do well for the next 20 years.

I was surprised Hope Davis never really caught on, but she's had a decent career and is still churning out stuff.

pokerbobo 06-04-2007 03:25 PM

How Phoebe Cates didn't become the biggest sex symbol ever after Fast Times at Ridgemont High is beyond me. [img]/images/graemlins/tongue.gif[/img]

On the guy side...I thought womens lust over Antonio Sabato Jr. would make him huge but didn't.

Sniper 06-04-2007 04:31 PM

Blarg, better?

http://images.askmen.com/galleries/a...-picture-1.jpg

Blarg 06-04-2007 04:40 PM

[ QUOTE ]
How Phoebe Cates didn't become the biggest sex symbol ever after Fast Times at Ridgemont High is beyond me. [img]/images/graemlins/tongue.gif[/img]

On the guy side...I thought womens lust over Antonio Sabato Jr. would make him huge but didn't.

[/ QUOTE ]

She did. She was People Magazine's most beautiful woman of the year once, and she was pretty universally talked up as hot. I think she counted herself out more than she was counted out by others.

dlk9s 06-04-2007 05:32 PM

Judd Nelson.

pokerbobo 06-04-2007 06:38 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

She did. She was People Magazine's most beautiful woman of the year once, and she was pretty universally talked up as hot. I think she counted herself out more than she was counted out by others.

[/ QUOTE ]

She still never hit that "next level" as the OP question asks.

Blarg 06-04-2007 06:45 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Judd Nelson.

[/ QUOTE ]

Excellent one. He was great in The Billionaire Boys Club, based on some murders in the 80's. Really good, that t.v. movie was HUGE. After that I thought the world would be his oyster, but instead he seemed to have pretty much slid off the edge of it. He deserved much better.

Blarg 06-04-2007 06:46 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

She was huge. It's just that that time passed. Unless by next level you mean super stratospheric or something. She was about as big as it got, for a few years.

Blarg 06-04-2007 06:47 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Blarg, better?

http://images.askmen.com/galleries/a...-picture-1.jpg

[/ QUOTE ]

Yowza, very hot.

LonesomeFugitive 06-04-2007 06:52 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
I don't care even if she had only 2 teeth, because she is the daughter of this man she deserves respect, punk!
http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedi..._Rozhenko-.jpg

MrMon 06-04-2007 06:54 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

She was huge. It's just that that time passed. Unless by next level you mean super stratospheric or something. She was about as big as it got, for a few years.

[/ QUOTE ]

Not enough of an actress to make it big for long. Actresses like her are just Flavors of the Month, then on to the next one. Lasted long enough to land Kevin Kline though.

Blarg 06-04-2007 07:08 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
I don't care even if she had only 2 teeth, because she is the daughter of this man she deserves respect, punk!
http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedi..._Rozhenko-.jpg

[/ QUOTE ]

Hey for a long time I thought I was the only living fan of Paul Sorvino. I still remember him from the killer funny movie where he played a guy who gets raped by a woman. People find out, and all the guys ridicule him constantly, and then every other woman he meets tries to rape him, too. He's got a great comedy face and has always come off as one of the most likeable actors.

nick604 06-04-2007 07:47 PM

I always thought Anna Paquin was going to become a huge name, especially after her performance in A walk on the moon. She was solid in Buffalo Soldiers, and is a passable Rogue in the X-Men series (tho the directors seem to use her less and less as as each new film comes along), but can't say she's ever really delivered in the way I thought she was going to.

http://hollywood.outsidethebeltway.c...en3-rogue1.jpg

DrewDevil 06-04-2007 08:22 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I believe I read somewhere that she took herself out of the Hollywood scene to focus on being a mom. Otherwise, given her beauty, passable acting chops, and willingness to take off all her clothes for every movie she was in, I think she could have been one of the A-listers for a long time.

Blarg 06-04-2007 08:39 PM

Yeah, I think some are underrating how big she was at the time. If nothing else, at the very worst she could have been on t.v. more or less for life and raked in gigantic money over time.

katyseagull 06-04-2007 08:55 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I still remember him from the killer funny movie where he played a guy who gets raped by a woman. People find out, and all the guys ridicule him constantly, and then every other woman he meets tries to rape him, too.

[/ QUOTE ]

This sounds like something you made up. [img]/images/graemlins/tongue.gif[/img]

Mr. Orange 06-04-2007 08:58 PM

Everytime I've ever gotten anyone to watch Blade Runner for the first time, (without fail) the first thing they always ask "What else has Rutger Hauer been in?"

Blarg 06-04-2007 09:34 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
I still remember him from the killer funny movie where he played a guy who gets raped by a woman. People find out, and all the guys ridicule him constantly, and then every other woman he meets tries to rape him, too.

[/ QUOTE ]

This sounds like something you made up. [img]/images/graemlins/tongue.gif[/img]

[/ QUOTE ]

Well, actually it's an autobiographical screenplay, and I was hoping pryor would consider making it as his next project.

The Story of Blarg's Life

Okay, well maybe some part of that is made up...

Great scene of him staggering back to his house through traffic naked except for a stop sign he has bent halfway around him.

katyseagull 06-04-2007 10:23 PM

lmao. That is too funny, Blarg. Where do you come up with these films no one has heard of?

govman6767 06-04-2007 11:52 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Robert Downey Jr. Has been casted as Tony Stark in next years IRON MAN movie and with an early may release they might be expecting spider man like #'s. When a company picks you as a leading man in a movie they want spiderman like #'s with you have hit the next level [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img] holla
David Morse
Parker Posey

[/ QUOTE ]

Blarg 06-05-2007 12:16 AM

[ QUOTE ]
lmao. That is too funny, Blarg. Where do you come up with these films no one has heard of?

[/ QUOTE ]

Watching too much t.v., and I used to see an insane number of movies per week in revival theaters. Now I still use Netflix when I have time.

Golden_Rhino 06-05-2007 12:56 AM

Eric Stoltz
Tim Roth