Two Plus Two Newer Archives

Two Plus Two Newer Archives (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/index.php)
-   Tournament Circuit/WSOP (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/forumdisplay.php?f=67)
-   -   Disappointed with Pokernews coverage (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/showthread.php?t=419194)

NickMPK 06-03-2007 11:55 PM

Disappointed with Pokernews coverage

According to Pokernews.com (who is supposed to be providing exclusive coverage of all WSOP events, right?), Event #3 currently has 69 players left, but they have about 150 players listed as being still alive in the chip count.

I don't expect them to actually have up-to-date chip counts on all of the players, but how hard is it to figure out who is still in the tournament once it is down to less than 10 tables. Also, when a player is knocked out, shouldn't they be able to report what place he finished in once the money has been reached?

I know people always griped about Cardplayer making typos in their reporting of hands, but I feel like they are least had a good grasp of who was still playing in the tournament once it got into the money.

I'm also disappointed I can't click on a player's name in the chips counts and see his past tournament results like in Cardplayer. I think so far this switch has been a change for the worse.

BenTurpen 06-04-2007 12:12 AM

Re: Disappointed with Pokernews coverage

They do not have the places/cashes because of Harrahs. The coverage of event #3 has been somewhat slow today, but otherwise I think there doing solid work. It's really hard in the enormous nl fields to keep up, especially when Harrahs doesn't release bustouts. The event #1 bustouts was much better.

I say [censored] exclusive rights and just let the sites do their own work.

Ramon Scott 06-04-2007 01:05 AM

It does seem to me that there are far more reported hands in the early levels in comparison to previous years since this type of reporting started. I say good job by pokernews, with due respect to OP's opinion.

PanchoVilla 06-04-2007 02:21 AM

Its even worse. I have a friend that was still alive in the event as of 59 players remaining. Pokerpages has had him listed as a bustout since they had the chipcount list at well over 100 runners left. So in addittion to only ever updating a couple players, the accuracy leaves a bit to be desired. Its confusing too since I played day 1 of event 3 and I saw people going all over the place writing down and doing stack estimates from the side. That was what was great about last years coverage. You could monitor mutliple sites and someone would usually get the info you were looking for.....

aramfingal 06-04-2007 04:18 AM

i agree with op. last year cardplayer had a lot more info, and they had it faster. it was sloppy, but most of the errors were obvious.
this year pokernews has half the info, and its still not very accurate.

greatbrit 06-04-2007 04:52 AM

I'm biased because I work for them, but if you didn't already, please give PokerPages a try, the blogs have been fantastic, the reporters are of course describing hands, but also adding lots of interesting gossip and other information. We are usually completely up to date with live updates and chip counts.

Paul

ItsJzH 06-04-2007 03:29 PM

i say this there were 4 events going at once yesterday, pokernews coverage is better than that of cardplayer and others. If you think you can do better, apply for a media creditial start your own site and do it urself espcially if you feel you can cover 4 events at once any better with like 3k players in the amazon room + spectators+ all the other media down there. otherwise stfu tyvm

ZBTHorton 06-04-2007 03:59 PM

[ QUOTE ]

According to Pokernews.com (who is supposed to be providing exclusive coverage of all WSOP events, right?), Event #3 currently has 69 players left, but they have about 150 players listed as being still alive in the chip count.

I don't expect them to actually have up-to-date chip counts on all of the players, but how hard is it to figure out who is still in the tournament once it is down to less than 10 tables. Also, when a player is knocked out, shouldn't they be able to report what place he finished in once the money has been reached?

I know people always griped about Cardplayer making typos in their reporting of hands, but I feel like they are least had a good grasp of who was still playing in the tournament once it got into the money.

I'm also disappointed I can't click on a player's name in the chips counts and see his past tournament results like in Cardplayer. I think so far this switch has been a change for the worse.

[/ QUOTE ]

I literally couldn't disagree more.

You have no idea how difficult the job they are trying to do is. They are doing an amazingly awesome job in comparison to CP last year.

NickMPK 06-04-2007 04:42 PM

[ QUOTE ]

I literally couldn't disagree more.

You have no idea how difficult the job they are trying to do is. They are doing an amazingly awesome job in comparison to CP last year.

[/ QUOTE ]

What do you think they are doing better than CardPlayer did last year?

I feel like CardPlayer made it much easier to figure out current chips counts and number of player remaining, etc. last year. And they also had a lot more videos...Pokernews only posted three video yesterday, and neither the photos nor the videos are divided by event, making it difficult to find what you are looking for. Unless I am missing something...

skitzo444 06-04-2007 04:51 PM

I think after the next few events they will get everything straightened out. I Do like how they have the 2.0 tags that increase text size as the popularity increases.

I emailed them asking if I could help for the USPC in the fall. I assume they do coverage of all major tournaments.

Phanekim 06-04-2007 05:26 PM

They are doing a way better job man. The updates are 2x-3x more frequent and chip counts are updated way faster.

Pokernews did not post just 3 vids yesterday, check video coverage for each event its different.

I really couldn't disagree more as well. Pokernews is doing a way better job than cardplayer.

NickMPK 06-04-2007 05:51 PM

[ QUOTE ]
They are doing a way better job man. The updates are 2x-3x more frequent and chip counts are updated way faster.

Pokernews did not post just 3 vids yesterday, check video coverage for each event its different.

I really couldn't disagree more as well. Pokernews is doing a way better job than cardplayer.

[/ QUOTE ]

You're right about the video...I just figured out that the it was a different video gallery for each event.

aramfingal 06-04-2007 05:53 PM

[ QUOTE ]
They are doing an amazingly awesome job in comparison to CP last year.

[/ QUOTE ]
CP was pretty bad, but I don't remember them having players still listed in the chip counts 3 hours after they busted.
I prefered CP's rushed frequent updates that came out sloppy, compared to Pokernew's slow sparse updates that still have many errors.
To call Pokernews' job so far "amazingly awesome" is absurd.

cwsiggy 06-04-2007 06:01 PM

Apparently, Cindy Violette is illegally playing multiple accounts live, as is William Hill, Mike Spegal and Tom Schneider

But actually, the coverage isn't that bad. I just liked Cardplayer's vids better and they seemed to have deeper chip stack listings.

from the website - chip counts....
Event 5

John Monnette $78900
Tom Schneider $57400
Tom Schneider $54500
Mel Judah $44200
Cyndy Violette $44000
Anthony Reategui $43300
Gary Du $42700
Cyndy Violette $41000
Dan Sorenson $40300
Mike Matusow $39000

Event 4

Robert Gertenzang $156500
Rob Playfast $156500
Jean - Robert Bellande $147000
William Hill $139000
William Hill $138000
Jean-Robert Bellande $111000
Mike Spegal $110000
Mike Spegal $98000
Joan McCarthy $96500
Cody Slaubaugh $96500

Floker 06-04-2007 06:58 PM

I just wished they updated their prizepool and payouts sections faster as well as give more frequent updates about number of players left in the event. The 1500 NLH event still doesn't show the players who cashed in places 270-122 and I have no idea how many players are left in the 2500 hilo event (are we close or beyond the money bubble?). But then again this could be Harrah's fault as the tournament directors may not be giving this info accurately and timely.

BenTurpen 06-04-2007 07:05 PM

Yeah, Harrah's has been awful so far with getting the bustouts released. Some of the tournaments do not have clocks, so that makes it difficult. Although, so far today the 1.5 PL Hold'em coverage has sucked. The coverage is actually better on day ones than second days.

Floker 06-04-2007 07:20 PM

Then again, it's been 30 minutes now into the final table of the 1.5k NLH event and still there's been no updates on the chip counts. They see every single hand so it should be very easy to update it every 5 minutes or so. They don't have to, though, cause there isn't any other website out there who can do a better job...

NickMPK 06-04-2007 08:07 PM

Here's another example:
In the PLHE event today, Pokernews has just informed us that there are 26 players left. The day started with 51 players, and 72 cashed. Yet they still don't have the names of the players who cashed yesterday, and they are not keeping track of everyone being eliminated today, even when they were down to 3 or 4 tables.

I know there are a lot of tournaments running today, but they should be focusing much more on the tournaments where players are already in the money and less on events that are still on Day 1.

aramfingal 06-05-2007 11:39 PM

Here's another example:
Event #5.
Its heads-up. Dinner break is supposed to have ended 50 minutes ago and no updates yet.

Kevmath 06-05-2007 11:40 PM

Dinner break is until 11:45 ET, it just took them almost an hour to put the announcement up.

I_AM_EVIL 06-05-2007 11:42 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Here's another example:
Event #5.
Its heads-up. Dinner break is supposed to have ended 50 minutes ago and no updates yet.

[/ QUOTE ]

Do you know how time works? They will return for play at 8:45pm PDT.

smeeks 06-06-2007 12:13 AM

Two Points:

1. How can you use CP as a measuring stick. To say that Pokernews is doing a better job is not a tribute to Pokernews. CP did the worst possible job.

2. I would bet that several Pokernews reporters are monitoring this thread. Monitoring it instead of updating posts on their site. That is what sucks. People are simply too self interested to put the right things first.

jogsxyz 06-06-2007 01:48 AM

[ QUOTE ]

I say [censored] exclusive rights and just let the sites do their own work.

[/ QUOTE ]

Is exclusive rights legal? Do sporting events deny access to all but one news source?

aramfingal 06-06-2007 01:54 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Here's another example:
Event #5.

[/ QUOTE ]

Do you know how time works? They will return for play at 8:45pm PDT.

[/ QUOTE ]
my bad, i thought they were on mountain time.
i offer my deepest most sincere apologies to all the good people at pokernews.

dlk9s 06-06-2007 08:19 AM

[ QUOTE ]

2. I would bet that several Pokernews reporters are monitoring this thread. Monitoring it instead of updating posts on their site. That is what sucks. People are simply too self interested to put the right things first.

[/ QUOTE ]

Nothing like condemning people for something that you guess they do. Kudos!

sobefuddled 06-06-2007 09:44 AM

I honestly only followed their coverage of the limit event and I found it excellent. Updates came through every 10 minutes or so and the reporting was accurate and well written. I had been following Cardplayer before I learned that Pokernews had the rights. I dislike Cardplayer's coverage largely because they give as much space in the chip counts to the bust outs as they do to those who are still playing. PokerNews listed everyone once they got to 90 players.

kylephilly 06-06-2007 10:09 AM

Event 8:
Cardplayer : Final table is set, 10 left - chip counts,
PokerNews: Roughly ~40 people left according to chip counts

aramfingal 06-06-2007 12:17 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I would bet that several Pokernews reporters are posting in this thread.

[/ QUOTE ]

AngusThermopyle 06-06-2007 12:21 PM

Chip counts on bluff and worldseriesofpoker (supplied by pokernews) for event #9 are more complete than on pokernews itself.

You have to dig to find out the number of starting entrants and remaining entrants. No payout structure yet.

On the chip count page, 'Busted' players are not listed in the order they busted out. Alphabetically. By first name. Real smart.

But they give good gossip?

aramfingal 06-07-2007 01:30 AM

Phil Being Phil
Mr. Hellmuth is putting on his normal act at this table. We will skip the details; you have all seen it many times before.

Worm75 06-12-2007 12:54 AM

[ QUOTE ]
i say this there were 4 events going at once yesterday, pokernews coverage is better than that of cardplayer and others. If you think you can do better, apply for a media creditial start your own site and do it urself espcially if you feel you can cover 4 events at once any better with like 3k players in the amazon room + spectators+ all the other media down there. otherwise stfu tyvm

[/ QUOTE ]

I would hope their coverage is better, considering that they bought the exclusive rights from Harrahs for it. The only people that have full access to the WSOP floor are ESPN and Pokernews, and while their coverage has been ok, the layout on their site and the interface really suck big donkey [censored].

robracing 06-12-2007 05:26 AM

Having been a vocal critic of the PokerNews coverage on another thread in this forum, I made a pleasing discovery yesterday:

The pokernews coverage that I can get in the browser on my Blackberry (I guess this is known as the WAP version?) is actually pretty sweet!

It is just a series of introductions to news stories, the full versions of which can be clicked-through to.

No chip count tables, but the coverage seems pretty current.

irongirl01 06-13-2007 12:21 AM

There have been problems at times with the internet feeds in the Amazon room so chip counts and players left isnt always accurate... I know quite a few of the PokerNews team and they are busting their humps.

jdblacknines 06-13-2007 12:34 AM

This is simply the worst coverage I have ever seen. We are getting almost zero hand by hand accounts.

danxxx1 06-13-2007 01:26 AM

i'm sure there working hard, but the coverage is really bad.
chip counts are hardly updated and you never really know how many people are left

greatbrit 06-13-2007 03:30 AM

I am working for Poker Pages as a coordinator, I can tell you that our reporters are working grueling schedules but doing an unbelievably amazing job. There has been a day or two of bad internet in the Amazon room, but most of the time it's just that we are waiting for the WSOP site and Poker News to post chip counts before we are allowed to copy them. I can only imagine what a difficult job they have in keeping those counts accurate and current.

If you didn't already, I encourage you to check out the pokerpages.com live updates, I think you'll be very impressed with the high level of reporting. BTW, if you notice anything you don't like in the updates, or just want to comment, please post in this thread and I promise to respond.

Paul

aramfingal 06-13-2007 05:53 AM

[ QUOTE ]
There have been problems at times with the internet feeds in the Amazon room so chip counts and players left isnt always accurate... I know quite a few of the PokerNews team and they are busting their humps.

[/ QUOTE ]
pokernews should try hiring some people who don't have humps.
but seriously, the coverage is flat out pathetic and there is no excuse for it.

MegaRigger 06-13-2007 07:27 AM

Their coverage sucks really hard. If you want to be professional, please work with professionals.

jdblacknines 06-13-2007 09:35 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I am working for Poker Pages as a coordinator, I can tell you that our reporters are working grueling schedules but doing an unbelievably amazing job. There has been a day or two of bad internet in the Amazon room, but most of the time it's just that we are waiting for the WSOP site and Poker News to post chip counts before we are allowed to copy them. I can only imagine what a difficult job they have in keeping those counts accurate and current.

If you didn't already, I encourage you to check out the pokerpages.com live updates, I think you'll be very impressed with the high level of reporting. BTW, if you notice anything you don't like in the updates, or just want to comment, please post in this thread and I promise to respond.

Paul

[/ QUOTE ]

I think PP is trying hard, but because of the "delay" in posting, the fans are still way behind in finding out what is going on.

In this day and age of instant information, this is a disgusting turn back to the dark ages. It's almost easier to call friends in Vegas for the updates.

jogsxyz 06-13-2007 10:24 AM

The results on completed events is terrible. The place and amount of all ITM finishers should be on one page. Make it easy for fantasy players to verify results.