Two Plus Two Newer Archives

Two Plus Two Newer Archives (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/index.php)
-   Micro Stakes (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/forumdisplay.php?f=71)
-   -   How many hands do you play daily.. (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/showthread.php?t=416651)

antisocialgrace 05-31-2007 05:21 PM

How many hands do you play daily..

I've put myself on an accelerated learning curve because I got started a little late. I'm up to about 4000 8-12-tabling.

Curious as to what people think the burnout number would be long term?

cuQa 05-31-2007 05:50 PM

Re: How many hands do you play daily..

Congratulations! You are addicted!

Ikaika 05-31-2007 06:00 PM

Holy hell...how do you play so many tables and not make retarded decisions in your haste? I can play 5 or 6 but come on...

Bowlboy 05-31-2007 06:05 PM

I dunno what that number is and I would imagine it's different for different people. I think though that by taking breaks here and there you can stay in the game playing like 20k hands a week. I've played 50k hands in May and I'm not playing all day everyday kind of thing. Usually a few hours here and there 9 tabling.

There are all kinds of people making less money on assembly lines doing the same thing everyday making the same stupid part every minute. If those people can last 20+ years doing that crap then I think we can sit in front of the computer and make money. [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

ssdex 05-31-2007 06:07 PM

i play 2-5 k 6 tabling or 5-10k 9 tabling....... but i usually try to only play 3-5 days a week. 60k-100k hands a month. Ive been doing this for the better part of 3 years, if you feel burnout, take a break for awhile, thats normal, but as long as you love the game and keep getting better then you shouldnt get burnout with a balanced lifestyle

gulon 05-31-2007 06:08 PM

If you're learning I suggest 2 tables instead of 8-12?

pkrPlayerBr 05-31-2007 06:12 PM

I play 2k hands/day 4tabling 3 days, rest 1 or 2.
30 to 35k hands per month

RobTheDuck 05-31-2007 06:30 PM

I've recently dedicated myself to more cash game play (as opposed to tournies). I feel comfortable 4-tabling now, but I think the most hands I have done in one day is ~900. I can't bring myself to play for >4 hours at a time (and I have a real job, so playing >4 hours in a day isn't realistic either).

I'm considering moving up to 6 tables once I get a few more thousand hands logged (and figure out how to hook up my other laptop as a second monitor).

HotdogPoker 05-31-2007 06:35 PM

I play anywhere from 300-500 hands in the evening 3-tabling, occasionally throwing in a fourth. My day job is demanding as hell and I just don't have the energy to play my A game for anything longer than an hour and a half at night. Weekends I have a life but if I don't on a particular day, I'm good for 1-1.5K hands.

antisocialgrace 05-31-2007 08:34 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Holy hell...how do you play so many tables and not make retarded decisions in your haste? I can play 5 or 6 but come on...

[/ QUOTE ]

It takes awhile but it does become rote. I'm sure I'm giving up some quality for quantity, but I'm happy with the 16.0 PTBB/100 I have over the last 80,000 or so hands. I am able to spot people making moves after they do something a couple times. I also play aggressively so that cuts down on a lot of the crap people try to get away with against tightwads.

Only drawback to this method is I take a lot of bad beats, and that does wear on me. Hence my question about burnout.

antisocialgrace 05-31-2007 08:39 PM

[ QUOTE ]
i play 2-5 k 6 tabling or 5-10k 9 tabling....... but i usually try to only play 3-5 days a week. 60k-100k hands a month. Ive been doing this for the better part of 3 years, if you feel burnout, take a break for awhile, thats normal, but as long as you love the game and keep getting better then you shouldnt get burnout with a balanced lifestyle

[/ QUOTE ]

lol. Would I be 12-tabling 4000 hands a day with a balanced lifestyle? I do take heart that you've been able to maintain this pace over the long term. I've found a formula that I'm comfortable with, that's been my only concern. I go 5 days or so myself.

antisocialgrace 05-31-2007 08:44 PM

[ QUOTE ]
If you're learning I suggest 2 tables instead of 8-12?

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm not getting any younger, hence the accelerated learning curve. I got started late with poker but I did play a lot of chess from the time I was fairly young so I well understand the strategic concepts of adversarial give and take. Also I'm not new to the game, I've got in a few hundred-thousand hands including play money.

RobTheDuck 05-31-2007 08:51 PM

[ QUOTE ]
It takes awhile but it does become rote. I'm sure I'm giving up some quality for quantity, but I'm happy with the 16.0 PTBB/100 I have over the last 80,000 or so hands.

[/ QUOTE ]

You make 16BB/100 over 80k hands while 8 to 12 tabling??? At what level?

Side question: is xPTBB/100 the same as xBB/100? Is this a LHE "Big Bet" v. NLHE "Big Blind" issue?

antisocialgrace 05-31-2007 10:19 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
It takes awhile but it does become rote. I'm sure I'm giving up some quality for quantity, but I'm happy with the 16.0 PTBB/100 I have over the last 80,000 or so hands.

[/ QUOTE ]

Side question: is xPTBB/100 the same as xBB/100? Is this a LHE "Big Bet" v. NLHE "Big Blind" issue?

[/ QUOTE ]

Mostly .01/.02 but I play up to .10/.25 (I usually 4-table the higher micros).

The PTBB and NLHEBB are not the same, but I never have gotten the conversion straight (you double one or the other).

matrix 05-31-2007 10:29 PM

PTBB is "PokerTracker Big BET"

if that helps you remember.

I 4 table 50NL and get through between 1000-2000 hands a day right now.

antisocialgrace 05-31-2007 10:41 PM

[ QUOTE ]
PTBB is "PokerTracker Big BET"

if that helps you remember.

[/ QUOTE ]

I knew that, but I don't know why they are different specifically. It's one of those things I just never looked into. I think I've heard the regular BB/100 is twice the PTBB/100.

kolotoure 05-31-2007 10:44 PM

Not enough (4K hands a day)

corsakh 05-31-2007 10:56 PM

How do you people play more than 4 tables at a time? It just stops being fun for me, I loose concentration.

coordi 05-31-2007 11:15 PM

I play about 2k a day 8-10 tableing. My longest session was 7k hands. During a normal session I take alot of killer beats and that tends to keep my hand counts down as I start to lose my mindstate after a few full buyin beats. I played 60k hands last month.

wildzer0 05-31-2007 11:33 PM

I play 3-4k daily 8 tabling. That's about all I can handle because I have a short attention span.

Ikaika 05-31-2007 11:52 PM

For you psychos that play 8 tables, are you running dual monitor setups?

wildzer0 05-31-2007 11:53 PM

Yeah, I would never play with overlap. I can play 10 tables comfortably with my monitor setup but then I can't see BigPotGrabber.

Bowlboy 06-01-2007 12:25 AM

[ QUOTE ]
How do you people play more than 4 tables at a time? It just stops being fun for me, I loose concentration.

[/ QUOTE ]

Different strokes for different folks [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img] For me 9 tabling seems to keep me on my A game because I never get board and I dont fall victim to FPS. I just started 25NL 2 days ago and I've put in over 8k hands in about 9 hours. I'm averaging $45 per hour.

I credit my starcraft days for my ability to think fast as well as very fast typing and mouse control. I was one of those 180 actions per minute junkies. [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

I think that the generations of players born after 1975 such as myself have played a lot of video games since childhood. It really excercises the decision making and reflex muscles in the brain imo.

I think that for anybody who is a solid winner at the level they are playing that wants to move up should consider playing more tables. More tables = more money especially in the micros where ABCtag gets the money session after session. You here people reply to newcomers to these forums often about how there is no 'recipe' for good poker. After 9 tabling .02/.05 for 100k hands and earning $10/hour I bet I could write an essay in 5k words or less on how to do what I did.

I started out at .01/.02 just 1 tabling with a $50BR. I was owning hardcore so decided to play 2 tables. Grinded up to $10NL and bought PokerAce(I was just using gametime+). After awhile I played 4tables at 10NL, then 6. Did that for close to 100k hands. Took shots at 25NL only to run bad and tilt the few times that I did. I think that it was a combination of the increased aggression at 25NL compared to 10NL and also the fact that for me at the time losing $25 on one hand of poker made me want to cry. I think I was intellectually ready to beat 25NL months ago just not psychologically.

Eventually I came up with the idea to 9table by tiling the tables in a tic-tac-toe fashion on Poker Stars with slight overlap both horizontally and vertically. I did this back at .01/.02. I was able to make $7 per hour there strictly value betting the crap out of anything that was TP or better. Moved up to .02/.05 after 9tables began to feel more comfortable. I can never get that BB/100 that I got at 2cent but the BB was 2.5x more so I was compensated there.

I'm drunk so bear with me and tolerate my ranting.

I continued to 9table 5cent for a long time taking weekly cashouts.

FWIW, and this is a bit OT for any 2p2ers here that are at .05/.10 and are multitabling to build a bankroll I really reccommend playing 5cent because you can buy-in 200bb deep. 5cent is considerably softer than 10cent but post flop play is even more important than preflop because of stack sizes, and preflop is easy anyway [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]. I found that I was able to sustain a winrate at 5cent that was much greater than what I made at 10cent.

Something I was thinking of earlier tonight that I thought might not make for a good post on it's own due to LC was the learning curve of multitablers vs single tablers (or those that play 2-3 tables since that's really really slow). A lot of people have told me 'play less tables and learn good poker'. A lot of us uNLers won't be successful beyond $100NL. Of those that are many probably won't make it beyond $600NL. So if you're not the greatest player, but you can multitable fairly well all the power to you for increasing your BB/hour. Money per hour is the bottom line for me.

Antinome 06-01-2007 12:55 AM

I play maybe 150-300 hands a day. One or two tables. It's recreational- not that I don't play to win.

MaltbyStu 06-01-2007 01:34 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

PT was originally made for LHE. The Big Bet (in BB/100) was set at twice the Big Blind. Traditionally in NLHE the Big Bet and Big Blind are the same.

So,for NLHE you get the PTBB/100 being exactly half the traditional BB/100.

Hope that helps.

You can change it in the PT Preferences TAB in the latest version if you prefer.

Stu

brian8065 06-01-2007 02:09 AM

I try to play 1,000 hands every day I play. I 4-table. I am sure my win rate is significantly better playing 4 tables than playing 6. If I need the hands to reach Platinum Star near the end of the month then I go to 6+ tables.

antisocialgrace 06-01-2007 04:09 AM

[ QUOTE ]
For you psychos that play 8 tables, are you running dual monitor setups?

[/ QUOTE ]

Just the one, 19" I think. I usually overlay and just let them pop-up, but I've been known to tile and cascade also. It might be nice to see all the tables all the time, but I doubt I'd be able to pay enough attention to make a very big difference 12-tabling anyway. Where it would make a difference is with a HU display, which I presently don't use (I have Poker Office but the database really lags and makes it more of a hassle than it's probably worth). When I move up in stakes I probably will go with a second monitor setup and HU display.

antisocialgrace 06-01-2007 04:17 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

PT was originally made for LHE. The Big Bet (in BB/100) was set at twice the Big Blind. Traditionally in NLHE the Big Bet and Big Blind are the same.

So,for NLHE you get the PTBB/100 being exactly half the traditional BB/100.

Hope that helps.

You can change it in the PT Preferences TAB in the latest version if you prefer.

Stu

[/ QUOTE ]

Cool 32.48 sounds much better than 16.24

antisocialgrace 06-01-2007 04:27 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Yeah, I would never play with overlap. I can play 10 tables comfortably with my monitor setup but then I can't see BigPotGrabber.

[/ QUOTE ]

BigPotGrabber?

neaera 06-01-2007 04:34 AM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

also less realistic [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img] isn't it the other way around? PTBB being twice the Big Blind (which makes sense as a LHE Big Bet is twice the Big Blind).
I think PO uses PTBB, too, but not sure.

antisocialgrace 06-01-2007 04:37 AM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Not sure how much of an asset 'intense concentration' is at the mini-micros--the play is so loose and unconventional that it's maybe just wisest to play aggressive ABC poker and forget about making the sick reads. Even 12-tabling I surprise myself with how much info I am able to pick up on opponents. I do usually need to have been in hands with them for it to really set in, but I will usually notice if someone is playing every hand whether with me or others.

I promise you I'm concentrating when I'm 12-tabling.

antisocialgrace 06-01-2007 04:39 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

also less realistic [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img] isn't it the other way around? PTBB being twice the Big Blind (which makes sense as a LHE Big Bet is twice the Big Blind).
I think PO uses PTBB, too, but not sure.

[/ QUOTE ]

Great. Now you're confusing me again. Make sure you're not thinking of hourly, which is often about half that of the PTBB/100.

ama0330 06-01-2007 04:41 AM

i aim for 1k and usually fall short, 4 tabling. damn the real world and damn its full time jobs.

antisocialgrace 06-01-2007 04:59 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I play about 2k a day 8-10 tableing. My longest session was 7k hands. During a normal session I take alot of killer beats and that tends to keep my hand counts down as I start to lose my mindstate after a few full buyin beats. I played 60k hands last month.

[/ QUOTE ]

I hear you man, the constant bad beats are the worst thing about Mass-MT poker. It's very hard to keep at it after you've taken a couple of them in a short span. Not a day goes by when I'm not taking out my frustration on some idiot who stacks me with the rag to go with the weak ace he caught on the river.

I do however feel like I'm getting closer to the Zen where I can put them in the proper perspective and not let them affect me so much. I know how well I can expect to run with this variance and volatility over the long term, I've played enough hands to gauge it accurately I think.

antisocialgrace 06-01-2007 05:04 AM

[ QUOTE ]
i aim for 1k and usually fall short, 4 tabling. damn the real world and damn its full time jobs.

[/ QUOTE ]

The real world, which I have never been a particularly successful player in, is a HUGE obstacle.

kaz2107 06-01-2007 05:05 AM

too many of u play WAY too much. lifeEV>>>>>>>>>>> pokerEV

this thread is a big penis waving contest. lol.

antisocialgrace 06-01-2007 05:07 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I've recently dedicated myself to more cash game play (as opposed to tournies). I feel comfortable 4-tabling now, but I think the most hands I have done in one day is ~900. I can't bring myself to play for >4 hours at a time (and I have a real job, so playing >4 hours in a day isn't realistic either).

I'm considering moving up to 6 tables once I get a few more thousand hands logged (and figure out how to hook up my other laptop as a second monitor).

[/ QUOTE ]

For me cash games have much higher EV than tourneys. I rarely play more than 4 hours at a time.

antisocialgrace 06-01-2007 06:13 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I credit my starcraft days for my ability to think fast as well as very fast typing and mouse control. I was one of those 180 actions per minute junkies. [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

I think that the generations of players born after 1975 such as myself have played a lot of video games since childhood. It really excercises the decision making and reflex muscles in the brain imo.

Something I was thinking of earlier tonight that I thought might not make for a good post on it's own due to LC was the learning curve of multitablers vs single tablers (or those that play 2-3 tables since that's really really slow). A lot of people have told me 'play less tables and learn good poker'. A lot of us uNLers won't be successful beyond $100NL. Of those that are many probably won't make it beyond $600NL. So if you're not the greatest player, but you can multitable fairly well all the power to you for increasing your BB/hour. Money per hour is the bottom line for me.

[/ QUOTE ]

This will probably surprise some people, but besides chess the other great multi-tabling training ground for me was pizza delivery. See once you've logged a few hundred road trips making 5-7 deliveries within a 45-minute window over a 50-60 square-mile culdesac purgatory of three different municipalities who each have their own vastly unique philosophy of how to organize address grids (and this was long before GPS) ... all the while throwing in the occasional traffic diversions, customers not answering their doors, wrong addresses, wrong phone numbers, wrong orders, speed bumps, idiot resturaunt managers, unchained Rottweilers who don't seem particularly fond of strangers and the always gleefully anticipated 2:00AM sojourn into the local housing project perpetually under some sort of "renovation" or "urban renewal" or some other political horse-sh-it that keeps the demagogues in good stead but does zero to improve the quality of life of the denizens or hapless pizza delivery drivers that may occasionally find themselves on the business end of a Saturday Night Special for their trouble ..

well gentlemen then 12-tabling micros is a vacation.

As for these B&M props who say online multi-tabling is bad for your career, that's just self-serving pablum with no basis in fact. On the contrary the greatest asset a poker player can have is experience. For those of us who got started late low limit multi-tabling affords an accelerated learning curve the B&M and higher limit online cash and tournament players can only dream about.

I promise you playing 100k hands, however quickly, is going to have far more educational impact then ruminating over Minneapolis Jim's left eye tic while you wait for hand #34 to be dealt two fricken hours into the Bay 101 Shooting Donkament.

Chomp 06-01-2007 06:20 AM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Bwaaahahahahahahaha. QFMFT.

ama0330 06-01-2007 06:24 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Bwaaahahahahahahaha. QFMFT.

[/ QUOTE ]

700 hands is a pretty decent session for me [img]/images/graemlins/frown.gif[/img]